Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 11:06 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,527 posts, read 30,685,166 times

Advertisements

Everyone welcome! I hope it's okay to talk about the inevitable today. It might be interesting.

Today's Questions:
Have you had to arrange a funeral or pre-arranged your own?

Have you helped write any obituary/ies or helped with publishing?

So have you made out a will yet or are you procrastinating or going for forever?

What fitting music have you heard or would you like to hear played at a funeral?

Any particular type flowers you prefer to see at a funeral?

Any other experience(s) or memories of dealing with or preparing for a loss you'd care to share?

Foodie Qs:
Sometimes a funeral is followed by a good nosh. What foods have you seen served after a
funeral or would you want served following one?

Just for fun:
It's almost Halloween, so based on a recent TV commercial. What would scare you more,
finding a monster under your bed or finding Flo from Progressive hiding in your closet?

First Published on This Day:
1726 "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift

Today's Word:
nosh [nosh] noun
Informal: a snack

Today's Quote:
"There are always flowers for those who want to see them."
~Henri Matisse, painter

Today Includes:
Champagne Day
Chocolate Day
Wild Foods Day

Happy Saturday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 11:49 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,270,367 times
Everyone welcome! I hope it's okay to talk about the inevitable today. It might be interesting.

Today's Questions:
I left that to others.

So have you made out a will yet or are you procrastinating or going for forever?
Trust me I won't need one. I'm taking everything with me.
What fitting music have you heard or would you like to hear played at a funeral?

Yes! Live ones!
Any other experience(s) or memories of dealing with or preparing for a loss you'd care to share?
Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get or when you're gonna get it.

Foodie Qs:
Sometimes a funeral is followed by a good nosh. What foods have you seen served after a
Coconut creme pie and Boston creme pie and beer all around.

Just for fun:
It's almost Halloween, so based on a recent TV commercial. What would scare you more,
finding a monster under your bed or finding Flo from Progressive hiding in your closet?
Flo or worse Rosie O'Donnel, or Whoopie Goldberg.

Today's Word:
nosh [nosh] noun

Today's Quote:
~Henri Matisse, painter

Today Includes:
Champagne Day
Chocolate Day
Wild Foods Day

Happy Saturday!
Thanks for the awesome Q's BJH!

Last edited by SATX56; 10-28-2017 at 12:26 AM..

Old 10-27-2017, 11:50 PM

39,245 posts, read 23,242,510 times
Today's Questions:
Have you had to arrange a funeral or pre-arranged your own? Not yet.

Have you helped write any obituary/ies or helped with publishing? No

So have you made out a will yet or are you procrastinating or going for forever? No, something else that needs to get done.

What fitting music have you heard or would you like to hear played at a funeral? Mostly traditional hymns.

Any particular type flowers you prefer to see at a funeral? No preference.

Any other experience(s) or memories of dealing with or preparing for a loss you'd care to share? Unfortunately, funerals seem to be the only time family members come together (along with weddings).

Foodie Qs:
funeral or would you want served following one? Usually light fare like finger sandwiches and snack-type foods (my experience).

Just for fun:
finding a monster under your bed or finding Flo from Progressive hiding in your closet? Finding Flo hiding in my closet.

Happy Saturday!

Old 10-28-2017, 01:02 AM

21,745 posts, read 8,888,223 times
Today's Questions:
Yes, I helped arrange my aunt's funeral as she had no surviving immediate family. I also had my stepfather's ashes interred at a cemetery. My mother had been keeping his remains in a box in her bedroom closet.
I wrote my aunt's obituary and also gave a short eulogy at her funeral.
I am procrastinating, but I really need to get it done as I turn 70 next year.
Some pieces that I think are appropriate are:
"Ombra Mai Fu" from Xerxes by Handel
"Moonlight Sonata
" Beethoven
Adagietto from Symphony No. 5 by Mahler
Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber.

I have no preference.
I saw an ad on Facebook for a company that does green funerals. They will plant your remains in a forest in a pod made of cellulose that grows into a tree. Your body provides nutrients for the tree, and you can have a plaque on the tree with your name and dates so that family and friends can visit your memorial tree. I think that's a really great idea.

Foodie Qs:
A light nosh such as sandwiches, salads, coffee and cookies would be fine with me.

Just for fun:
I don't think Flo is very scary, but your mileage may vary.

Today's Quote:
~Henri Matisse, painter

Today Includes:
Champagne Day
Chocolate Day <---- As far as I'm concerned, every day is Chocolate Day.
Wild Foods Day

Thanks, bjh!

Last edited by Bayarea4; 10-28-2017 at 01:02 AM.. Reason: to fix spacing

Old 10-28-2017, 02:23 AM

8,009 posts, read 5,461,763 times
Good Morning

Today's Questions:
Have you had to arrange a funeral or pre-arranged your own? No

So have you made out a will yet or are you procrastinating or going for forever? There is an old one somewhere--really needs to be updated. I have warned my three sons there is to be no conflicts or I will haunt them forever. I have also told them to just give me a simple cremation and afterwards toast a nice glass of Merlot to my life. I don't want a formal funeral.

What fitting music have you heard or would you like to hear played at a funeral? I would prefer more upbeat--it always seems to be such depressing music. I know it is often a sad situation--but I think one should be celebrating one's past existence and what they gave to the World.

Any particular type flowers you prefer to see at a funeral? Daisies

Any other experience(s) or memories of dealing with or preparing for a loss you'd care to share? My sibling and myself buried our Mother several months ago and just finished up with the sale of her house. We did well dealing with it, dividing things up--there were no disputes--even though I was the estranged one from both of them. Although at times it was like walking on eggshells, it was good to spend time with my sister. I do wonder where the relationship will go from here...

Foodie Qs:
funeral or would you want served following one? For me---a nice Merlot with cheese and crackers. For others in my family we always have a huge meal that starts with a toast to the memory of the person.

Just for fun:
finding a monster under your bed or finding Flo from Progressive hiding in your closet? I was always so afraid of the dark growing up--I had to learn how to deal with it when I bought my house. I don't want any hidden monsters or Flo in my home! I am still afraid of the dark...

Today Includes:
Champagne Day
Chocolate Day
Wild Foods Day

Happy Saturday! Have a Super one!

Old 10-28-2017, 02:27 AM

62,620 posts, read 88,737,296 times
Great topic! I appreciate it!

Today's Questions:

Yes. I don't want to be burden to anyone. Also don't want people puzzle about whats to do with my body... Simple cremation with no fuss will suit me the most. Give my ashes to the wind.

No.

Everything is arranged in writing since I was in my 40's - DNR, last will, POA, etc.

Nah. Don't want to make any show at my funeral.

No flowers. See above.

Yes, when my Mom died.

Foodie Qs:

Oh no! No music, dancing or food needed. Just let me depart quietly...

Just for fun:

Since I don't believe in monsters, finding Flo in my closet would be pretty scary.... for Flo.

Today's Word:
nosh [nosh] noun

Today's Quote:
~Henri Matisse, painter

Today Includes:
Champagne Day
Chocolate Day
Wild Foods Day

Happy Saturday!

Thank you, bjh!
Happy Saturday, peeps!

Old 10-28-2017, 03:20 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,786,333 times

Today's Questions:
Have you had to arrange a funeral or pre-arranged your own? Arranged three times.

Have you helped write any obituary/ies or helped with publishing? Yes

So have you made out a will yet or are you procrastinating or going for forever? No will yet...not much to leave.

What fitting music have you heard or would you like to hear played at a funeral? I have been to many funerals where " Ava Maria" and hymns are sung. If I were to have a funeral, which I'm not,I would want upbeat tunes played, one that comes to mind is "Spirit in The Sky," by Norman Greenbaum.

Any particular type flowers you prefer to see at a funeral? No flowers for me.....for others whatever they like.

Any other experience(s) or memories of dealing with or preparing for a loss you'd care to share? No, nothing that would be of interest.

Foodie Qs:
funeral or would you want served following one? Some funerals I have attended we went out to a restaurant and others we would gather at the house and have lunch meat platters, with breads, a variety of salads, beverages and other things.

Just for fun:
finding a monster under your bed or finding Flo from Progressive hiding in your closet? Both!

Today's Word:
nosh [nosh] noun

Today's Quote:
~Henri Matisse, painter

Today Includes:
Champagne Day
Chocolate Day
Wild Foods Day

Happy Saturday! [/quote]

Thanks, bjh.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:00 AM

37,871 posts, read 41,298,274 times
Today's Questions:
No

no

So have you made out a will yet or are you procrastinating or going for forever? no

What fitting music have you heard or would you like to hear played at a funeral? Adagio in G Minor - Albinoni

Any particular type flowers you prefer to see at a funeral? no

no

Foodie Qs:
Don't like the custom.

Just for fun:
Definitely Flo.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:16 AM

30,952 posts, read 16,545,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Today's Questions:

my own: like Elnina, cremation and toss the ashes.

nope

yup. my second one. might do an up-date this year.

not especially.

forget the flowers and donate the money to a worthy cause.

Celebrate the life, not the loss.

Foodie Qs:

usually people bring stuff-lots of casseroles and such.

Just for fun:

oh, boy. Let me get back to you on that.

one of the more interesting boring books I've read.

Today's Word:
nosh [nosh] noun

Today's Quote:
~Henri Matisse, painter

Today Includes:
Champagne Day
Chocolate Day
Wild Foods Day

Happy Saturday!
thanks, bjh.

good thought-provoking questions.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:23 AM

7,448 posts, read 5,556,724 times

Today's Questions:
Have you had to arrange a funeral or pre-arranged your own? No

So have you made out a will yet or are you procrastinating or going for forever? Yes, we have a will

What fitting music have you heard or would you like to hear played at a funeral? Usually hymns

Any particular type flowers you prefer to see at a funeral? I love roses

Any other experience(s) or memories of dealing with or preparing for a loss you'd care to share? It's not fun

Foodie Qs:
We usually go to a restaurant that has a buffet. People usually bring casseroles, beef, and fried chicken to the house.

Just for fun:
finding a monster under your bed or finding Flo from Progressive hiding in your closet? Monster

Today's Word:
nosh [nosh] noun

Today's Quote:
~Henri Matisse, painter

Today Includes:
Champagne Day
Chocolate Day
Wild Foods Day

Happy Saturday! [/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics