Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 07:16 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,879,076 times

Advertisements

Today's Questions:
Have you had to arrange a funeral or pre-arranged your own? Haven't arranged a funeral; don't want one planned for me. Like my dad, I want to be cremated with my ashes spread. My parents had a bench with their names put at the cemetery as they were interested in genealogy and felt if there was a marker future generations would not need to search as they did. We had small ceremonies for both my parents at the cemetery with family and friends. Pop's ashes were spread mostly around our farm. Geeg didn't want her ashes spread, so hers are buried by the bench.

Have you helped write any obituary/ies or helped with publishing? I helped write Pop's and wrote Geeg's on my own.

So have you made out a will yet or are you procrastinating or going for forever? Parent's had a revocable trust & I will..... eventually.

What fitting music have you heard or would you like to hear played at a funeral? Have heard mostly hymns.

Any particular type flowers you prefer to see at a funeral? No particular flowers. If I had a funeral, wildflowers would be best.

Any other experience(s) or memories of dealing with or preparing for a loss you'd care to share? I was with Pop when he passed. My mother was afraid of hospitals, so between my sisters who all work in the medical field and doctors who are family friends, she was able to die at home.

Foodie Qs:
Sometimes a funeral is followed by a good nosh. What foods have you seen served after a
funeral or would you want served following one? Usually just a light meal.

Just for fun:
It's almost Halloween, so based on a recent TV commercial. What would scare you more,
finding a monster under your bed or finding Flo from Progressive hiding in your closet? But, I will say that finding ANYONE hiding in the closet would be scary too!

First Published on This Day:
1726 "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift

Today's Word:
nosh [nosh] noun
Informal: a snack

Today's Quote:
"There are always flowers for those who want to see them."
~Henri Matisse, painter Like this quote!

Today Includes:
Champagne Day
Chocolate Day Well, this decides it then. I was thinking about whether or not to go to the Lindt store today.
Wild Foods Day

Happy Saturday! Same to you, bjh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 07:20 AM

36,579 posts, read 16,165,576 times
Today's Questions:
Have you had to arrange a funeral or pre-arranged your own? No and no

Have you helped write any obituary/ies or helped with publishing? Yes my Mom's

So have you made out a will yet or are you procrastinating or going for forever?

What fitting music have you heard or would you like to hear played at a funeral?

Any particular type flowers you prefer to see at a funeral? NO

Any other experience(s) or memories of dealing with or preparing for a loss you'd care to share?

Foodie Qs:
Sometimes a funeral is followed by a good nosh. What foods have you seen served after a
funeral or would you want served following one?
Food was the first thing that arrived after my Mom's death..lots of food.

Just for fun:
It's almost Halloween, so based on a recent TV commercial. What would scare you more,
finding a monster under your bed or finding Flo from Progressive hiding in your closet? Probably Flo.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:50 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,931,547 times
Have you had to arrange a funeral or pre-arranged your own? === Yes, for my parents and no for my own.

Have you helped write any obituary/ies or helped with publishing? === Yes, along with my brother and sister, for my parents.

So have you made out a will yet or are you procrastinating or going for forever? === Have my will and my kids have copies.

What fitting music have you heard or would you like to hear played at a funeral? === I'm going to leave that up to my kids.

Any particular type flowers you prefer to see at a funeral? === Not really.

It's almost Halloween, so based on a recent TV commercial. What would scare you more, finding a monster under your bed or finding Flo from Progressive hiding in your closet? === Both would freak me out, but the monster's the winner!,

Old 10-28-2017, 07:57 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,257,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Everyone welcome! I hope it's okay to talk about the inevitable today. It might be interesting.

[b]Today's Questions:
Have you had to arrange a funeral or pre-arranged your own? Not yet

Have you helped write any obituary/ies or helped with publishing? No

So have you made out a will yet or are you procrastinating or going for forever? My will is pretty much out of date by now.

What fitting music have you heard or would you like to hear played at a funeral?Soft easy going music
[/u]Sometimes a funeral is followed by a good nosh. What foods have you seen served after a
funeral or would you want served following one? Salads,finger food

Today's Quote:
~Henri Matisse, painter:

Happy Saturday!
Thanks bjh Hope you and all have a good and safe day,

Old 10-28-2017, 08:04 AM

126,540 posts, read 19,292,982 times
Everyone welcome! I hope it's okay to talk about the inevitable today. It might be interesting.

Today's Questions:
Have you had to arrange a funeral or pre-arranged your own? Yes I had to arrange a funeral 4 times with help but not pre-arranged my own yet but gave it thought....

Have you helped write any obituary/ies or helped with publishing? Yes

So have you made out a will yet or are you procrastinating or going for forever? My husband and I made a will as soon as we had our first child. When the time comes for me I like to be cremated and the ashes scattered from a mountain top ......

What fitting music have you heard or would you like to hear played at a funeral? I have heard Schuberts "Ave Maria","Ave Maria" by Kimmy Skota,Time to Say Good-bye,Mama,Good night my Angel and TulaTula AND one day when I pass away I would like for my family to play
"Nightingale Serenade","Bells Across the Meadows"and the "Andachtsjodler" sung by Gesangverein Edelweiß directed by Werner Utmelleki......

Any particular type flowers you prefer to see at a funeral? pending on the person it should be their favorite flowers but for myself just wild white daisies and a plain pine wreath

Any other experience(s) or memories of dealing with or preparing for a loss you'd care to share? There was always a celebration of life at a special gathering

Foodie Qs:
funeral or would you want served following one? Either we went to a restaurant,or little sandwiches and little cookies with coffee and tea was served in the next room or we met up in someone's home and everyone had brought something....

Just for fun:
finding a monster under your bed or finding Flo from Progressive hiding in your closet?
Monster under the bed

Today's Word:
nosh [nosh] noun

Today's Quote:
~Henri Matisse, painter

Today Includes:
Champagne Day
Chocolate Day
Wild Foods Day

Happy Saturday!

Thank you bjh

Old 10-28-2017, 09:43 AM

31,304 posts, read 33,047,440 times
Today's Questions:
Have you had to arrange a funeral or pre-arranged your own? Yes,,, it's not fun and you can go crazy taking care of the needed details.

Have you helped write any obituary/ies or helped with publishing? Yes, did a little in helping.

So have you made out a will yet or are you procrastinating or going for forever? Yes Mrs Aks & I did that about two years ago and managed to get everything covered. I know that some people don't care to use an attorney however this is one of those times when it's {best} to have a good one that knows what he is doing if you want things do be done correctly and everything followed by the will & trust.

What fitting music have you heard or would you like to hear played at a funeral?

Any particular type flowers you prefer to see at a funeral?

Any other experience(s) or memories of dealing with or preparing for a loss you'd care to share?
While in the service I had volunteered for honor guard/firing squad duty at the Headquarters Company which was a benefit to some ways. The honor guard/firing squad would attend military funerals for our fallen servicemen/women. Normally this extra duty was once or twice a week as needed which got me away from my regular job and duty section. Over the years back then I attended several hundred military funerals and all that would be required of our services. I’ve seen everything occur at funerals and don’t care to attend any more other than my own at this time.

Foodie Qs:

Just for fun:
finding a monster under your bed or finding Flo from Progressive hiding in your closet? I don't think the monsters under the bed would do it. However seeing Flo in the closet would be a shocker for me. She's so good!

Today Includes:
Champagne Day
Chocolate Day
Wild Foods Day

Old 10-28-2017, 10:22 AM

3,112 posts, read 1,717,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Today's Questions:
Have you had to arrange a funeral or pre-arranged your own? Unfortunately, yes.

Have you helped write any obituary/ies or helped with publishing? Yes but it was very short.

So have you made out a will yet or are you procrastinating or going for forever? Never had one and am really hoping to get one done before end of year.

What fitting music have you heard or would you like to hear played at a funeral? Much depends on the dead person. But for my own I'd love "Spirit In the Sky".

Any particular type flowers you prefer to see at a funeral? Stargazers. Also love the smell.

Foodie Qs:
funeral or would you want served following one? The one I actually enjoyed was at our house after my father's funeral. Lots of good food and lots of people, including a few I hadn't seen in a long time. Gosh, that was back in 1972!

Just for fun:
finding a monster under your bed or finding Flo from Progressive hiding in your closet?

Happy Saturday!
Thanks, BJH

Old 10-28-2017, 10:45 AM

24,696 posts, read 26,281,122 times
Today's Questions:
Have you had to arrange a funeral or pre-arranged your own?
No and no.

Have you helped write any obituary/ies or helped with publishing?
Nope

So have you made out a will yet or are you procrastinating or going for forever?
Will and estate planning is all done.

No preference.

No preference.

Foodie Qs:
Typical potluck foods.

Just for fun:
Neither one would be scary to me. Flo (Stephanie Courtney) might be interesting and cool as she lives not to far from me.

Thanx for the thoughtful Q's bjh.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:49 AM
Status: "Civility needs to make a return." (set 10 days ago)

4,735 posts, read 3,307,556 times

Today's Questions:
Have you had to arrange a funeral or pre-arranged your own? ........Unfortunately I've planned too many funerals. Both my parents, sister, brother, both of my husband's parents and my husband's brother. I'll pre-arrange our services someday.

Have you helped write any obituary/ies or helped with publishing? ...........Yes

So have you made out a will yet or are you procrastinating or going for forever? .............I had a will since I was 32.

What fitting music have you heard or would you like to hear played at a funeral? ..............Something soft and simple.

Any particular type flowers you prefer to see at a funeral? .............Wildflowers of various colors and yellow roses.

Any other experience(s) or memories of dealing with or preparing for a loss you'd care to share? .............It's devastating to do. We have a friend who is a minister he has done several of our services so they are very personalized.

Foodie Qs:
funeral or would you want served following one? ..............It's tradition around here to have things like ham and fried chicken along with side dishes and desserts that are brought in by friends and neighbors.

Just for fun:
finding a monster under your bed or finding Flo from Progressive hiding in your closet? .........I think I can whip Flo so a monster would scare me more.

Today's Word:
nosh [nosh] noun

Today's Quote:
~Henri Matisse, painter

Today Includes:
Champagne Day
Chocolate Day .................I better celebrate with some chocolate.
Wild Foods Day

Happy Saturday!

Old 10-28-2017, 12:27 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,895,838 times
[quote=bjh;49954423]Everyone welcome! I hope it's okay to talk about the inevitable today. It might be interesting.

Today's Questions:
Have you had to arrange a funeral or pre-arranged your own?
No and I'm not having a funeral. I'll just be cremated and take my place on the mantel next to the ashes of my pig, dog, and cat.
Have you helped write any obituary/ies or helped with publishing?
Nope.
Oh yeah. It's all in trust. His family doesn't get a dime
Dust in the Wind
I'd rather see the money spent on flowers go to an animal shelter instead.
My Howie is not doing well. His liver enzymes are off the chart. There;s not much you can do but wait to do the right thing when it comes.

Foodie Qs:

Anything sweet. I've usually had dinner before we go to those things.
Just for fun:

A monster under my bed

Today's Word:
nosh [nosh] noun

Today's Quote:
~Henri Matisse, painter

Today Includes:
Champagne Day
Chocolate Day
Wild Foods Day

Happy Saturday!

Thanks bjh. That was well, interesting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics