Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 11:52 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,624,039 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

Well folks, the weather certainly has changed ‘ round these parts! It was in the mid 70s over the weekend, and we’re supposed to see our first snow this week , albeit just a few quick flakes! So I have some questions about fall foods.

Today's Question(s):
No matter which hemisphere you're in, do you have a story you can share about cold weather foods? Anything from the kinds of foods you ate before things were shipped out-of-season, to home canning, what do you remember about food in the fall?

Bonus Question(s):
What fall flavors are your favorite? And is there more than one way you enjoy them?

Just for fun:
Do you like:
cream soups?
casseroles?
baked beans?
pot pies?
mac & cheese?
stews/chili?
Shepherd’s pie?
meatloaf?
other fall foods?

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1984 "Give My Regards to Broad Street" premieres (Gotham Theater-NYC)
Birthday: 1944 Jon Anderson, British musician (lead singer for Yes)
Pop Culture: 2010 Sony takes its original cassette Walkman off the market
Science/Technology: 1955 Tappan sells 1st microwave oven
Sports: 2012 The 2012 Summer Olympics is credited with helping the UK economy emerge from recession; official GDP figures show 1 percent growth from July to September

Today's Word:
autumn
Pronunciation: (ˈɔːtəm)
Origin: 1325-75; < Latin autumnus; replacing Middle English autumpne < Middle French autompne < Latin
Meaning: noun
1. the season between summer and winter; fall. In the Northern Hemisphere it is from the September equinox to the December solstice; in the Southern Hemisphere it is from the March equinox to the June solstice.
2. a time of full maturity, especially the late stages of full maturity or, sometimes, the early stages of decline: to be in the autumn of one's life.

A little history about this word:
Harvest was the English name for the season until autumn began to displace it 16c. In Britain, the season is popularly August through October; in U.S., September through November. Cf. Italian autunno, Spanish otoño, Portuguese outono, all from the Latin word. Unlike the other three seasons, its names across the Indo-European languages leave no evidence that there ever was a common word for it.
Many "autumn" words mean "end, end of summer," or "harvest." Cf. also Lithuanian ruduo "autumn," from rudas "reddish," in reference to leaves; Old Irish fogamar, literally "under-winter."

Today Is:
Greasy Food Day
International Artists Day
Punk For A Day Day
Sourest Day
World Pasta Day

Quote of the Day:
"You've got to magnify all your better feelings and better urges and better conscious ideas, and that's your life's evolvement.” ~ Jon Anderson ~

Thanx for playing everyone.
Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 12:23 AM
bjh

60,527 posts, read 30,675,516 times
Mornin' all!
Mornin'.

Well folks, the weather certainly has changed ‘ round these parts!
Is autumn going to stay around a while?
It was in the mid 70s over the weekend, and
we’re supposed to see our first snow this week , albeit just a few quick flakes!
Or are we hurtling head first into winter?
So I have some questions about fall foods.
Okay.

Today's Question(s):
No matter which hemisphere you're in, do you have a story you can share about cold weather foods? Anything from the kinds of foods you ate before things were shipped out-of-season, to home canning, what do you remember about food in the fall?
When it comes to fall foods I think of cranberries, nuts, pumpkins, breads, cakes, pies.

Bonus Question(s):
What fall flavors are your favorite? And is there more than one way you enjoy them?
Good bread or pecan pie.
I'm a foodie so I like to figure out new ways that may or may not become a new tradition.

Just for fun:
Do you like:
cream soups? Soups, but not cream soups.
casseroles?
baked beans?
pot pies?
mac & cheese?
stews/chili? Stews. Not a big fan of chili.
Shepherd’s pie?
meatloaf?
other fall foods? Pecan pie.

Today's Word:
autumn
Harvest was the English name for the season until autumn began to displace it 16c. In Britain, the season is popularly August through October; in U.S., September through November. Cf. Italian autunno, Spanish otoño, Portuguese outono, all from the Latin word. Unlike the other three seasons, its names across the Indo-European languages leave no evidence that there ever was a common word for it.

Have a great day!
You too.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:50 AM

8,009 posts, read 5,461,763 times
Good Morning

Today's Question(s):
No matter which hemisphere you're in, do you have a story you can share about cold weather foods? Anything from the kinds of foods you ate before things were shipped out-of-season, to home canning, what do you remember about food in the fall? Looking forward to my roasted pumpkin seeds from our pumpkins sitting outside.

Bonus Question(s):
What fall flavors are your favorite? And is there more than one way you enjoy them? Not so much a favorite fall flavor girl as much as I just embrace the colors of Fall. We are peaking in my area right now --it is stunning.

Just for fun:
Do you like:
cream soups?
casseroles?
baked beans? they are okay
pot pies? chicken pot pie
mac & cheese?
stews/chili? my own only
Shepherd’s pie?
meatloaf? my own only
other fall foods?

Today Is:
Greasy Food Day
Punk For A Day Day
Sourest Day
World Pasta Day

Have a super duper wacky Wednesday!

Old 10-25-2017, 01:44 AM

21,740 posts, read 8,880,895 times
[
Today's Question(s):
I remember that summer fruits such as strawberries and melons used to be inferior in quality in the off season and more expensive than they are now. That must have been before we were able to easily ship produce from the Southern hemisphere.

Bonus Question(s):
I like pumpkin pie, roast candied yams, roast turkey and stuffing. I have several recipes for sweet potatoes, one of which is made with dark molasses and cumin seed. It sounds weird, and Mr. Bay didn't care for it, but I really liked it.

Just for fun:
Do you like:
cream soups?
casseroles?
baked beans?
pot pies?
mac & cheese?
stews/chili?
Shepherd’s pie?
<---- My late friend in South Wales used to give me all kinds of hell for calling a dish "shepherd's pie" that wasn't made with lamb.
meatloaf?
other fall foods?
I like all of the above.

Thanks, PatsCats!

Old 10-25-2017, 03:12 AM

30,950 posts, read 16,537,544 times

Well folks, the weather certainly has changed ‘ round these parts! It was in the mid 70s over the weekend, and we’re supposed to see our first snow this week , albeit just a few quick flakes! So I have some questions about fall foods.

In this area, we usually get a couple of flakes before Halloween. Typically doesn't last and typically the serious stuff doesn't start until early December.

Today's Question(s):

On Sept 11, 2001 I was trying to make my own catsup. I'd gotten to the 'keep stirring' stage when the phone rang. I was going to let the answering machine get it but it was my sister sounding really panicky. I answered and found out about the attacks on the Twin Towers. Never did get back to the catsup.

Bonus Question(s):

All time favorite is pumpkin butter.

Just for fun:
Do you like:
cream soups?

casseroles?
baked beans?
pot pies? unless they're too salty
mac & cheese?
stews/chili?
Shepherd’s pie?
meatloaf? unless it's smooshy
other fall foods?

cider, with or without doughnuts

thanks, PC. have a special day, everyone

Old 10-25-2017, 04:06 AM

27,505 posts, read 27,535,492 times
Cream soups after good solo or in a recipe.
Casserole, yes I like and make them sometimes.
Pot pies, yes, the best ones are the Marie Calendar ones!
Meat loaf, Mac and cheese, stew, chili, yes, all are good and especially the ones we make from scratch. 🙌
Happy Wednesday everyone~~~

Old 10-25-2017, 06:02 AM

126,540 posts, read 19,292,982 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
No matter which hemisphere you're in, do you have a story you can share about cold weather foods? Cold weather means here lots of vegetable soups,lentil/bean soups and pies. Mother used to make her own red/black currant juice and I had it throughout the year with water. Anything from the kinds of foods you ate before things were shipped out-of-season, to home canning, what do you remember about food in the fall? I connect autumn with apple and Italian plum cakes. Breads all the way fresh baked of course
My favorite one was warm "Zwetschgendatschi"/plum cake with whipping cream
https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/25653...rman-plum-cake
OR a variety of apple cakes with whipping cream,apple dumplings,apple pancakes,fresh made apple cider.
I remember from my childhood the huge walnut trees we had and how they were picked,dried and stored and used throughout the year as snacks or in recopies.These days I still bake in autumn making apple/plum cakes and bring them to the shelter and senior home or hand out to family and friends.
I JUST LOVE the smell of fallen apples on the ground when the air smells crisp and after cider.

Bonus Question(s):
What fall flavors are your favorite? I love the smell of Cortland or Macintosh apple and Bartlett pear. Cinnamon,ginger,Maple,apple cider,onions And is there more than one way you enjoy them? Maple syrup on my German thin pancakes,Macintosh and Cortland apples for pies,cakes, or just eating out of the hand,apple dumplings with cinnamon sugar and melted butter
(great also with apricots or Italian plums),definitely homemade apple sauce,fruit salads or compote.
Bartlett pears eating just like this or in a cranberry chutney or as curried fruit baked in the oven. Ginger I use every day fresh to eat,cook,bake or making ginger/lemon tea with water.Fresh baked onion cake with new wine of the year it was made is absolutely divine.
Oh gosh am I drooling now...me think now I want to bake

Just for fun:
Do you like:
cream soups? Yes my favorite creamed soups are mushroom,tomato,leek or potato/leek soup,broccoli or cauliflower soup or cold cherry or strawberry/blueberry soup
casseroles? Yes I like any casserole dish sweet or savory
baked beans? Not so much
pot pies? Never had pot pies only casseroles
mac & cheese? Homemade? Yes I like it once a year.
stews/chili? I like vegetarian chilies the most
Shepherd’s pie? Yes I make them with Italian,East Indian spices at times
meatloaf? Yes I do make meatloaf with eggs,buns,onions,curly parsley,dill,black pepper/salt and in the center a hard boiled egg. When you slice the meatloaf it looks real pretty. I also make meatloaf with Italian or East Indian spices,quite tasty.
other fall foods? Dumpling soup,Pancake soup,dumplings filled with plums,apples and served with melted browned butter and cinnamon sugar,baked apples with warm vanilla sauce,Gingersnap cookies with fresh grated ginger or fresh cabbage strudel.

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1984 "Give My Regards to Broad Street" premieres (Gotham Theater-NYC)
Sports: 2012 The 2012 Summer Olympics is credited with helping the UK economy emerge from recession; official GDP figures show 1 percent growth from July to September

Today's Word:
autumn
Origin: 1325-75; < Latin autumnus; replacing Middle English autumpne < Middle French autompne < Latin
1. the season between summer and winter; fall. In the Northern Hemisphere it is from the September equinox to the December solstice; in the Southern Hemisphere it is from the March equinox to the June solstice.
2. a time of full maturity, especially the late stages of full maturity or, sometimes, the early stages of decline: to be in the autumn of one's life.

Many "autumn" words mean "end, end of summer," or "harvest." Cf. also Lithuanian ruduo "autumn," from rudas "reddish," in reference to leaves; Old Irish fogamar, literally "under-winter."

Today Is:
Greasy Food Day
Punk For A Day Day
Sourest Day
World Pasta Day

Quote of the Day:
"You've got to magnify all your better feelings and better urges and better conscious ideas, and that's your life's evolvement.” ~ Jon Anderson ~

Have a great day!

Thank you PatsCats for the DELICIOUS questions

Last edited by Almrausch; 10-25-2017 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: spelling mistake

Old 10-25-2017, 06:10 AM

37,870 posts, read 41,287,644 times
Today's Question(s):
No matter which hemisphere you're in, do you have a story you can share about cold weather foods?

I can't think of any food I eat only when it is cold except maybe hot chocolate.

Anything from the kinds of foods you ate before things were shipped out-of-season, to home canning, what do you remember about food in the fall? Nothing.

Bonus Question(s):
Honestly, I can't think of food I eat only in one season.

Just for fun:
Do you like:
cream soups?
No. I want to see what's in the soup.
casseroles? Mother never made them, neither do I. I'd try one if someone else did and seafood (like tuna fish) wasn't involved.
baked beans? Yes
pot pies? Don't eat them. You just know some heinous food maker hid a lima bean in one.
mac & cheese? Yes
stews/chili? Beef stew is good but rarely make it (too much trouble for one person eating) or order it. Don't eat chili.
Shepherd’s pie? Love it. Order it in Irish restaurants. Been awhile since I've been to one, though.
meatloaf? Eh. Don't make it. Only eat it out if I don't like anything else on the menu.
other fall foods? The things above, I don't eat in any particular season. Baked beans and macaroni and cheese I eat year 'round.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:17 AM

5,925 posts, read 3,856,818 times
Mornin' all!
Good morning!

Today's Question(s):
No matter which hemisphere you're in, do you have a story you can share about cold weather foods?
Not really, we just eat a lot of soup and drink hot tea and hot chocolate

Anything from the kinds of foods you ate before things were shipped out-of-season, to home canning, what do you remember about food in the fall?
Around here during fall/winter we eat a lot of beans and cornbread, usually dry pinto beans. Takes a while to cook them but if you flavor them with pork they taste really good.

Bonus Question(s):
Nothing stands out, I don't eat anything different during fall than I do any other time of the year. The only difference is more soup and more hot drinks.

Just for fun:
Do you like:
cream soups?
casseroles?
baked beans?
pot pies?
mac & cheese?
stews/chili?
Shepherd’s pie?
meatloaf?
other fall foods?

Today in History:

Today's Word:
autumn

Today Is:
Greasy Food Day
Punk For A Day Day
Sourest Day
World Pasta Day

Quote of the Day:

Have a great day!

Thanks PC!

Old 10-25-2017, 07:41 AM

7,448 posts, read 5,553,817 times

Today's Question(s):
No matter which hemisphere you're in, do you have a story you can share about cold weather foods? Anything from the kinds of foods you ate before things were shipped out-of-season, to home canning, what do you remember about food in the fall? When I think of Fall foods I think of chili, soups, acorn squash, pumpkin pie, and apple crisp.

Bonus Question(s):
What fall flavors are your favorite? And is there more than one way you enjoy them? Apples. There is a drink called apple pie which is apple juice, vodka and/or ever clear, cinnamon, and some other spices. You drink it warm.

Just for fun:
Do you like:
cream soups?
casseroles?
baked beans?
pot pies?
mac & cheese?
stews/chili?
Shepherd’s pie?
meatloaf?
other fall foods? Taffy apples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics