Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 08:12 AM

44,375 posts, read 20,091,210 times

Advertisements

Well folks, the weather certainly has changed ‘ round these parts! It was in the mid 70s over the weekend, and we’re supposed to see our first snow this week , albeit just a few quick flakes! So I have some questions about fall foods. I hear you, neighbor. My furnace went out Monday evening and my house is c-c-c-cold inside! Furnace man is searching for a new electronics board today. Hopefully, I'll have heat tonight, but that's still a maybe. I had to scrape ice off my car this morning. It's going to be super cold in the house tonight if that furnace isn't fixed! Can I come over to your house to stay? (J/K, of course. I can live for a few days with the cold. At least I've got lights and the stove works. )

Today's Question(s):
No matter which hemisphere you're in, do you have a story you can share about cold weather foods? Anything from the kinds of foods you ate before things were shipped out-of-season, to home canning, what do you remember about food in the fall? One of the things I miss most in winter and spring is fresh local tomatoes. Tomatoes out of season are grainy and flavorless. During the colder months I love to eat soups, chili and stews. Just about anything hot, actually. It warms me up from the inside out! I bought some ground chuck and will make a big pot of chili tomorrow evening.

Bonus Question(s):
What fall flavors are your favorite? Chocolate. And is there more than one way you enjoy them? Hot cocoa in a big mug.

Just for fun:
Do you like:
cream soups? Love 'em.
casseroles? Depends on what in 'em, but usually yes.
baked beans? YUM!
pot pies? If made from scratch, yes. Reheated frozen ones from the store, no.
mac & cheese? YUM!
stews/chili? Yes, yes!
Shepherd’s pie? Yum.
meatloaf? Yepper. Love it. It's gotta be homemade, though.
other fall foods? I'm pretty easy to please. I love lots of different foods and cuisines. German food is a good fall/winter food. Hearty and delicious.

Today's Word:
autumn
Pronunciation: (ˈɔːtəm)
Origin: 1325-75; < Latin autumnus; replacing Middle English autumpne < Middle French autompne < Latin
Meaning: noun
1. the season between summer and winter; fall. In the Northern Hemisphere it is from the September equinox to the December solstice; in the Southern Hemisphere it is from the March equinox to the June solstice.
2. a time of full maturity, especially the late stages of full maturity or, sometimes, the early stages of decline: to be in the autumn of one's life.

A little history about this word:
Harvest was the English name for the season until autumn began to displace it 16c. In Britain, the season is popularly August through October; in U.S., September through November. Cf. Italian autunno, Spanish otoño, Portuguese outono, all from the Latin word. Unlike the other three seasons, its names across the Indo-European languages leave no evidence that there ever was a common word for it.
Many "autumn" words mean "end, end of summer," or "harvest." Cf. also Lithuanian ruduo "autumn," from rudas "reddish," in reference to leaves; Old Irish fogamar, literally "under-winter."

Interesting info!

Today Is:
Greasy Food Day You can hold the grease from my food. Although I do love lots of butter on popcorn.
International Artists Day
Punk For A Day Day Ha. Okay.
Sourest Day
World Pasta Day Yum!

Quote of the Day:
"You've got to magnify all your better feelings and better urges and better conscious ideas, and that's your life's evolvement.” ~ Jon Anderson ~

Thanx for playing everyone. Fun stuff and interesting info, PC! Have a happy hump day, everyone!

Have a great day!
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,351,757 times
No matter which hemisphere you're in, do you have a story you can share about cold weather foods? Anything from the kinds of foods you ate before things were shipped out-of-season, to home canning, what do you remember about food in the fall? This is the first time in 23 years here that we are still picking delicious tomatoes from the greenhouse in late October. In fact, the plants are still producing blossoms, but I am cutting them off.

Bonus Question(s):
What fall flavors are your favorite? And is there more than one way you enjoy them? Apples taste a lot better when just picked, and they are sweetest after a cold spell. We have been getting into the upper 30s at night, so they are at their peak for eating fresh. After being stored, they are better off in pies.

Just for fun:
Do you like:
cream soups? Yes
casseroles? Some
baked beans? Love them
pot pies? Some
mac & cheese? Yes
stews/chili? YES!
Shepherd’s pie? Yes
meatloaf? YES!
other fall foods? Pumpkin has become way too popular and common, in everything now. In fact we have switched to Sweet Potato pies for fall.

Today Is:
Greasy Food Day - Ah, maybe tonight I'll cook up some deep fried bacon!
Punk For A Day Day
Sourest Day
World Pasta Day

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 08:39 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,223,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Well folks, the weather certainly has changed ‘ round these parts! It was in the mid 70s over the weekend, and we’re supposed to see our first snow this week , albeit just a few quick flakes! So I have some questions about fall foods.
Wow Pat you made this really easy

Today's Question(s):
No matter which hemisphere you're in, do you have a story you can share about cold weather foods? Anything from the kinds of foods you ate before things were shipped out-of-season, to home canning, what do you remember about food in the fall?
We don't have a snow story although I have been snowed in .A few yers ago well after hurricane season was over a severe hurricane came up the coast.It passed us off shore we got a severe storm then it came in and the Delaware bay and up causing damage which is partially noy cleared up and rebuilt today all the way up the coast.
Just for fun:
Do you like:
cream soups?
casseroles?
baked beans?
pot pies?
mac & cheese?
stews/chili?
Shepherd’s pie?
meatloaf?
other fall foods?

To all of the above I love some of each and others I strongly dislike and would not touch

Today Is:
Greasy Food Day:eek
Punk For A Day Day
Sourest Day
World Pasta Day

Quote of the Day:
"You've got to magnify all your better feelings and better urges and better conscious ideas, and that's your life's evolvement.” ~ Jon Anderson ~

Thanx for playing everyone.
Have a great day!
Thankyou hope you and all have a great day!
Thanks Pat hope every one has a great day.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:12 AM

24,503 posts, read 26,045,935 times
Today's Question(s):
No matter which hemisphere you're in, do you have a story you can share about cold weather foods?
When I lived in cold country we did have more soups, chili and casseroles for dinner.

Anything from the kinds of foods you ate before things were shipped out-of-season, to home canning, what do you remember about food in the fall?
I vaguely remember some canning going on.

Bonus Question(s):
What fall flavors are your favorite? And is there more than one way you enjoy them?
We pretty much don't eat by seasons, well maybe more varieties of chili dishes

Just for fun:
Do you like:
cream soups?
casseroles?
baked beans?
pot pies?
mac & cheese?home made and boxed
stews/chili?
Shepherd’s pie?
meatloaf?home made
other fall foods?

Thanx PatsCats.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:16 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,282,223 times
Mornin' all!

Well folks, the weather certainly has changed ‘ round these parts! It was in the mid 70s over the weekend, and we’re supposed to see our first snow this week , albeit just a few quick flakes! So I have some questions about fall foods.

Today's Question(s):
No matter which hemisphere you're in, do you have a story you can share about cold weather foods? Anything from the kinds of foods you ate before things were shipped out-of-season, to home canning, what do you remember about food in the fall?...............I love those fall get togethers with a big roaring fire. Cooking hot dogs and roasting marshmallows over the fire.

Bonus Question(s):
What fall flavors are your favorite? And is there more than one way you enjoy them?..............Pumpkin

Just for fun:
Do you like:
cream soups?...........Cream of broccoli........yum!
casseroles?...........Yes
baked beans?.........Not a fan.
pot pies?............Yes
mac & cheese?..............Homemade not the orange boxed stuff.
stews/chili?..............Yes, I make the best vegetable soup.
Shepherd’s pie?..........Yes
meatloaf?...........I like mine but I'm not a fan of just any meatloaf.
other fall foods?............Pumpkin pie, pecan pie and other pumpkin type deserts.

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1984 "Give My Regards to Broad Street" premieres (Gotham Theater-NYC)
Birthday: 1944 Jon Anderson, British musician (lead singer for Yes)
Pop Culture: 2010 Sony takes its original cassette Walkman off the market
Science/Technology: 1955 Tappan sells 1st microwave oven
Sports: 2012 The 2012 Summer Olympics is credited with helping the UK economy emerge from recession; official GDP figures show 1 percent growth from July to September

Today's Word:
autumn
Origin: 1325-75; < Latin autumnus; replacing Middle English autumpne < Middle French autompne < Latin
1. the season between summer and winter; fall. In the Northern Hemisphere it is from the September equinox to the December solstice; in the Southern Hemisphere it is from the March equinox to the June solstice.
2. a time of full maturity, especially the late stages of full maturity or, sometimes, the early stages of decline: to be in the autumn of one's life.

Harvest was the English name for the season until autumn began to displace it 16c. In Britain, the season is popularly August through October; in U.S., September through November. Cf. Italian autunno, Spanish otoño, Portuguese outono, all from the Latin word. Unlike the other three seasons, its names across the Indo-European languages leave no evidence that there ever was a common word for it.
Many "autumn" words mean "end, end of summer," or "harvest." Cf. also Lithuanian ruduo "autumn," from rudas "reddish," in reference to leaves; Old Irish fogamar, literally "under-winter."

Today Is:
Greasy Food Day............Pass
Punk For A Day Day
Sourest Day
World Pasta Day..............Something I seldom make or eat.

Quote of the Day:

Have a great day!

Old 10-25-2017, 01:02 PM

16,907 posts, read 16,148,303 times
Yay
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
No matter which hemisphere you're in, do you have a story you can share about cold weather foods? Anything from the kinds of foods you ate before things were shipped out-of-season, to home canning, what do you remember about food in the fall?

Bonus Question(s):
What fall flavors are your favorite? And is there more than one way you enjoy them?

Just for fun:
Do you like:
cream soups? Oh, I hate them! and the next ones:
casseroles?
baked beans?
pot pies? these are just okay.
mac & cheese?
stews/chili?
Shepherd’s pie? Awesome, the English way. Not the American style shi^!
meatloaf? YEAH! Let's eat loads of it and rub it all over each other!
other fall foods? What is this? Do you mean turkey? I love turkey! And stuffin!

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1984 "Give My Regards to Broad Street" premieres (Gotham Theater-NYC)
Sports: 2012 The 2012 Summer Olympics is credited with helping the UK economy emerge from recession; official GDP figures show 1 percent growth from July to September

Today's Word:
autumn

Today Is:
Greasy Food Day
Punk For A Day Day
Sourest Day
World Pasta Day

Quote of the Day:

Have a great day!
Tanks again!

Old 10-25-2017, 02:26 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,812,200 times
[quote=PatsCats;49923096]Mornin' all!

Typical crazy weather. We had a great October didn't we
Today's Question(s):
I just made the most incredible pot roast. It's one of my favorite fall/winter meals.

Bonus Question(s):

MMMMM pumpkin pie.
Just for fun:
Do you like:
cream soups? Yes
casseroles? Maybe some.
baked beans?Yes, especially home made.
pot pies? Yes especially home made.
mac & cheese? One of my favorite things.
stews/chili? Yes, especially chili.
Shepherd’s pie? Yes
meatloaf?Yes!
other fall foods? Taffy apples.

Today in History:

Today's Word:
autumn

Today Is:
Greasy Food Day
Punk For A Day Day
Sourest Day
World Pasta Day

Quote of the Day:

Have a great day!

Thanks dear one. You too. Okay today I really have to clean out the store room. I was so lazy yesterday.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:10 PM

4,045 posts, read 1,872,179 times
Today's Question(s):
No matter which hemisphere you're in, do you have a story you can share about cold weather foods? Anything from the kinds of foods you ate before things were shipped out-of-season, to home canning, what do you remember about food in the fall? My mom considered colder weather "cookie making weather." The oven would be on to warm up the kitchen.
We had, still have, an old concord grape vine across the farm house porch. My grandmother would make grape jelly; one of my sisters has taken this on.

Bonus Question(s):
What fall flavors are your favorite? And is there more than one way you enjoy them? I love winter squash in soups, baked with a bit of maple syrup.... pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin bread.... Love a traditional Thanksgiving dinner with turkey and stuffing...

Just for fun:
Do you like:
cream soups? Must be homemade, not from a can. Broccoli Cheese Soup, Mushroom soups, Squash & apple bisque
casseroles? I will be much more suspicious of casseroles now that Laura has suggested hidden lima beans.
baked beans? My MIL made the most delicious baked beans.
pot pies? Chicken pot pie
mac & cheese? My own homemade
stews/chili? Yes, please.
Shepherd’s pie? Loved as a kid. Not so much now.
meatloaf? My mother could not make a meatloaf that would hold together to save her.... self. We always had to spoon it out of the loaf pan.
other fall foods? Corn Chowder

Today's Word:
autumn

Quote of the Day:

Have a great day! Thanks, PC! I took a few back roads to get home tonight, enjoying the last bit of color. A couple were standing on a bridge, admiring the reflection of an old building in the water. Little things....

Old 10-25-2017, 06:26 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,616,992 times
Evenin' all!

Today's Question(s):
I remember my grandma's homemade pumpkin pie. One of my favorites. I could taste the love.

Bonus Question(s):
I love it when the pomegranates come in. That's a sure sign of fall to me. And I love pumpkin, and egg nog everything (got my first egg nog of the season yesterday! [can't wait to make pancakes!!!])!

Just for fun:
Do you like:
cream soups? I do!
casseroles? Yep!
baked beans? Sure do!
pot pies? Enough to develop a meat-free recipe.
mac & cheese? You bet cha!
stews/chili? Can do those meat-free too!
Shepherd’s pie? Got one for that as well.
meatloaf? Still haven't found a reasonable meat-free way to make meatloaf...yet...
other fall foods? Pumpkin pie, pumpkin roll, pumpkin cheesecake with caramel sauce, pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin beer...pumpkin, pumpkin, and...pumpkin!

Today in History:

Today's Word:
autumn

Today Is:
Greasy Food Day
Punk For A Day Day
Sourest Day
World Pasta Day

Quote of the Day:

Thanx again everyone.
Have a good one!

Old 10-25-2017, 06:58 PM

38,938 posts, read 22,939,705 times
Today's Question(s):
No matter which hemisphere you're in, do you have a story you can share about cold weather foods? Anything from the kinds of foods you ate before things were shipped out-of-season, to home canning, what do you remember about food in the fall? Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings is the only thing I can think of.

Bonus Question(s):
What fall flavors are your favorite? And is there more than one way you enjoy them? I didn't realize there was such a thing as a fall flavor, probably because we don't have a 4-season climate here. I'll just say I like apple cider and pumpkin pie (WITH whipped cream) during the holiday season, part of which includes fall.

Just for fun:
Do you like:
cream soups? Yes
casseroles? Some, not all
baked beans? Yes
pot pies? Yes
mac & cheese? Yes
stews/chili? Stews are OK. Chili not so much.
Shepherd’s pie? Never had it.
meatloaf? Yes. It's good for sandwiches, too.
other fall foods? I already mentioned Thanksgiving dinner.

Happy Hump Day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics