Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you greet your neighbors or avoid them like Ebola?
I just say, "Hi!" and keep it moving. 11 40.74%
No one speaks in my town. 0 0%
I am close to at least one or more neighbor. 16 59.26%
I find it hard to reach out to strangers. 0 0%
I avoid them all like Ebola. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 11:13 PM

104 posts, read 96,313 times

Advertisements

I just recently went with a close friend to meet her neighbors and invite them to a neighborhood house warming. The home purchased by my friend and her husband is in a nice middle-class neighborhood. We canvassed a few houses surrounding the neighborhood as my friend is very passionate about hospitality and getting to know those around her. Our reactions as you could imagine were mixed to see two middle aged women coming to their door at dusk handing out invitations. Some appeared pleasantly surprised, while others graciously accepted the invitation with a guarded look on their face. This made me think about my apartment unit, there are four single women and i am the only middle aged woman and veteran resident. We exchange pleasantries but in my five years, we rarely go beyond that. I have one that i am somewhat close to due to a professional work relationship and she will sometimes borrow trivial items but other than that Its crickets. Is it that people are so self-absorbed that they don't take the time? People used to really get to know those who live around them. I personally take social cues avoiding forcing a friendship although i regard myself as a friendly and open person. Sometimes i think if i had an emergency or need would they come to my aid? What has been your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 11:51 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,984,372 times
You can't really pick your neighbors, as they come and go. You can choose which ones to interact with though. I'm very outgoing and anyone open to that and similarly responsive I consider a friendly neighbor. There are some neighbors who obviously wish to keep to themselves. Whatever floats their boat. Doesn't take long to find out what category most fit in. They can still be good neighbors as long as they're not irritant types.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:33 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,413,907 times
I don't think they are self absorbed.

I will say hi and keep going. I spend my work week talking to people for eight hours a day. My home is my quiet, safe haven.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:00 AM

21,605 posts, read 8,774,547 times
We have a pleasant, if distant, relationship. The neighbors on one side are a retired couple living with their grown son. He (the husband) rarely says a word, while she has a screeching parrot voice and won't shut up. So while our relationship is warm and cordial and I don't dislike her, I try not to get into conversations with her because I'm an introvert, and she talks and talks and talks.

The neighbor on the other side is a single professional man in his 40s who isn't home much. We chat now and then when we cross paths, and he seems like a chill guy, but we don't socialize because of the age difference and having almost nothing in common other than the street we live on.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:16 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,452,248 times
I live in a cul-de-sac. I get on just fine with most of my neighbours. I say hello to all of them, and a couple in particular, I will pass the time of day with when out working in my garden.

Sadly, I have a crazy woman next door. 'Highly strung' is how I would describe her......... When she moved in about 10 years ago, she came to my house to introduce herself. She seemed ok, but there was something, you know what I mean.......

I am the sort of person who tries to get along with people. Life has taught me there are some strange folk out there, and I try to avoid those types. I had a feeling I would have a clash with crazy woman sooner or later.

It came from out of nowhere. I was out in my garden one day, and a guy arrived with a box of flowers for next door. She was at work, and he came to me with some inquiries. He asked me if the name on the box of flowers was correct. I looked, and said, "no, that's not her name." He then asked me if the man of the house worked at a certain company. I said, "no, he doesn't work there." I said where he did work, which was obvious by the uniform he wore. I did say there is another street with the same name as ours, on the other side of town. "Maybe the flowers are for that other address" I said. Off he went.......

That evening, there was a loud banging at my door. I answered it, and crazy woman went right for my throat. "What right have you discussing my business with a stranger. Telling him where my husband works, and also stating the name on the box of flowers wasn't mine. I'll let you know the flowers were for my father who is ill........." As you can imagine, I was quite shocked. I recovered quickly......

"Then why did you have his name on a box of flowers sent to your address? How am I supposed to know your father's name? Why did you have the flowers delivered when you knew you'd be at work? Did you expect someone like me, would just accept them for you? In a different name than yours? As for me saying where your husband worked, it's pretty obvious to all who see him from his uniform? Why, do you think it's some sort of state secret?

She came back with some more abuse. I had enough......."get away from my house, you crazy *****. Go on, **** Off".......... oh dear....... it all got out of hand. That was it for me. Enough. I wasn't going to put up with that. A week afterwards, I got a note through my door from her saying sorry. She was under strain from worry about her dad. I didn't care, I had enough of her to last me a lifetime.

Eventually, we sort of made it up, enough to say "hello' if coming across each other by accident. I know she wants to chat sometimes, but I always make an excuse, and hurry away. Life's too short to deal with such people. I know if we got on better terms, another incident would happen somewhere down the line.

Sometimes, parcels come for her, and as she is out at work, the delivery guy will ask me to receive it for her. NO!!!

Old 08-18-2017, 03:04 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,603,140 times
We get along great with our neighbors. An older couple lives next door with their daughter. On days she doesn't work, meaning she doesn't have to go out, I throw the morning paper on their porch. I help them with quite a few things. The family on the other side has 3 youngsters, a 9 yr old and 6 yr old twins. Any time they see me in the yard they yell hi. Enjoy talking to the parents when we get a chance too. I moved in my parents' house after they passed away. When they were living here, all the neighbors on the block had block parties from time to time in each other's yards. Great living in a small town where people get along.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:34 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,241,241 times
Of course I greet them! We are neighbors. We all at least greet each other, and it is customary to ask how someone is doing, although the responses are usually brief unless there is a problem in the area. When I go out walking early in the morning before it is busy I greet people I pass, it is considered rude not to.

I didn't check any of the choices in the survey as they seemed keyed to a very limited or sour view of the world.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:37 AM

23,297 posts, read 29,163,763 times
As I walk around my neighborhood today, I certainly don't greet many on the sidewalks, particularly if they have their faces buried in their Smartphones, as so many do! Interrupt some of these people and, you may be sorry!

Old 08-18-2017, 06:01 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,452,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
As I walk around my neighborhood today, I certainly don't greet many on the sidewalks, particularly if they have their faces buried in their Smartphones, as so many do! Interrupt some of these people and, you may be sorry!
I think of them as phone zombies tij........ like in the movie 'Invasion of the Bodysnatchers'. I fear one day, I will wake up, and have a phone in my hand. Nooooooooo oooooooo oooooooo...........

I don't own a cell phone. My wife sent me to the supermarket once with hers. "Ring me, and let me know the price of chickens David......" I got to the supermarket, looked at the price of chickens, then tried to phone my wife. I couldn't figure out how to do it. Serves her right for assuming I knew how to use the thing!!.......

Last edited by English Dave; 08-18-2017 at 06:58 AM..

Old 08-18-2017, 06:40 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,939,664 times
I’ve lived in the same house now for 35 years so I know all the neighbors and speak to them if they’re outside. I avoid being taking up their time with unimportant conversations but stay friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics