Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you greet your neighbors or avoid them like Ebola?
I just say, "Hi!" and keep it moving. 11 40.74%
No one speaks in my town. 0 0%
I am close to at least one or more neighbor. 16 59.26%
I find it hard to reach out to strangers. 0 0%
I avoid them all like Ebola. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 07:01 AM

23,473 posts, read 29,398,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I think of them as phone zombies tij........ like in the movie 'Invasion of the Bodysnachers'. I fear one day, I will wake up, and have a phone in my hand. Nooooooooo oooooooo oooooooo...........

I don't own a cell phone. My wife sent me to the supermarket once with hers. "Ring me, and let me know the price of chickens David......" I got to the supermarket, looked at the price of chickens, then tried to phone my wife. I couldn't figure out how to do it. Serves her right for assuming I knew how to use the thing!!.......
I'd never walk around anywhere with my face in a Smartphone (don't even own one) as I'd be afraid of being mugged! Don't these people realize someone could sneak up behind them!

I find it rather sad, you'd like to converse with someone, as you walk around your neighborhood, and I don't even want to try and compete with the excitement of what they're seeing on those screens!

No different at work, riding a bus or waiting for a flight at an Airport, the opportunities for friendliness have all but disappeared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 07:06 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,490,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'd never walk around anywhere with my face in a Smartphone (don't even own one) as I'd be afraid of being mugged! Don't these people realize someone could sneak up behind them!

I find it rather sad, you'd like to converse with someone, as you walk around your neighborhood, and I don't even want to try and compete with the excitement of what they're seeing on those screens!

No different at work, riding a bus or waiting for a flight at an Airport, the opportunities for friendliness have all but disappeared.
I first realised the dawn of the dead had arrived a number of years ago. My wife and I walked into the bar of a hotel in Tunisia. It was quite dark in there, and all around were folks sat staring at their phones. Their faces were lit up from the reflection........

Nobody spoke, it was silent in there, with all these lit up faces. I was quite astonished, and knew things would never be the same again.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:01 PM

13,495 posts, read 18,321,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I first realised the dawn of the dead had arrived a number of years ago. My wife and I walked into the bar of a hotel in Tunisia. It was quite dark in there, and all around were folks sat staring at their phones. Their faces were lit up from the reflection........

Nobody spoke, it was silent in there, with all these lit up faces. I was quite astonished, and knew things would never be the same again.
This may interest you....in a way.

Fascinating Paintings of People Entranced by Their Phones – Flavorwire

Old 08-18-2017, 10:27 PM

15,010 posts, read 8,328,985 times
I always speak and say hello, but I am a bit closer to a couple than the others.
(you would come off as extremely weird in Kentucky, if he you didn't at least muster up a
little bit of a greeting.)
Some seem to want to converse, so I try to oblige as much as possible. (But I am an introvert at heart,
and love my privacy)
Others want to keep to themselves more or less, and I am good with that too!
(We have one here who is either wanted by the FBI, or has social anxiety disorder though).

Old 08-18-2017, 11:53 PM

33,109 posts, read 36,862,270 times
You can pick your friends, pick your nose, but you can't pick your neighbors. I've had good ones, bad ones, and most were in the middle.

Right now, no neighbors are friends, but most of them are nice enough.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:29 AM

3,107 posts, read 1,713,682 times
I chat with only two people and that's the neighbors to each side of us. I'll wave and say hello and lightly chat with some of the others when the opportunity arises. My husband is the social bird and he and many of the other men will chat and borrow each other's tools or help, and they get along great. But the only one he visits is the elder next door.

I like to be on good terms with neighbors because it's good to look out for each other when we notice things that aren't right, and to have support. But I don't want to be close buddies with a neighbor because I don't want someone coming over to visit more often than I'd like.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:08 AM
bjh

60,510 posts, read 30,661,663 times
People used to be more likely to be stuck with their neighbors for a while. Once everyone became more mobile while more people became less trustworthy, everyone became understandably more cautious. Of course they idea that neighbors always got along is a false nostalgia.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:57 PM

13,495 posts, read 18,321,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
People used to be more likely to be stuck with their neighbors for a while. Once everyone became more mobile while more people became less trustworthy, everyone became understandably more cautious. Of course they idea that neighbors always got along is a false nostalgia.
I lived in a very small condo before I moved outside our city walls. In that building there was an older, very grumpy at best and extremely hostile at worst, owner and his young adulterous foreign wife. If he did not like someone in the building he pulled a pistol on them...this is not the U.S., truly extraordinary to pull a gun here. When they came to collect the condo dues he threatened the committee with his pistol. He also went up to the police station and threatened his wife's lover, who was a cop...he didn't kill him, but he wasn't arrested either.

One day in cleaning all the disused cable wired that dangled down in front of my top floor windows, I cut his working cable in two. In fear and trembling I went downstairs to tell him. I did not have to, they had been watching TV and I could hear the hubbub in the apartment.

When I knocked and told his wife, she summoned my executioner. He listened, said, "Estúpido!" He left me at the door and went for his gun I assumed, but he returned with a roll of tape.

We went upstairs, he taped it back together, pushed it away from the window, glared at me and said, "You OK" and left without even showing his gun.

Considering this guy's personality, this is my idea of "always got along." I am alive.

He, incidentally, began experiencing sharp pains in the liver, but would not go to the doctor. He died in the hospital very soon, and she moved the cop in. There were none of the neighbors who did not believe that she had decided to checkmate that pistol.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:58 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,772,732 times
There's a couple neighbors who I chat with for a few minutes when we are out walking our dogs but other then that everyone stays to themselves except for this one neighbor who is in her 70's. We share small little Christmas gifts and once in awhile she will drop off some type of food she thinks I might like, especially since she knows I haven't been feeling well lately.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:10 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,490,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady123 View Post
There's a couple neighbors who I chat with for a few minutes when we are out walking our dogs but other then that everyone stays to themselves except for this one neighbor who is in her 70's. We share small little Christmas gifts and once in awhile she will drop off some type of food she thinks I might like, especially since she knows I haven't been feeling well lately.
I was out in my garden this morning cutting away at some large shrubs. Two of my female neighbour's passed by, and we had a friendly gab. I don't mind that sort of thing. Usual chat English people enjoy like discussing the weather......

"Another lousy summer David....... you're taking the chance sorting out your garden, before it rains again huh?" That's the sort of thing English neighbour's talk about........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics