Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 05:36 AM

296 posts, read 219,800 times

Advertisements

I've had my current cell phone number (smartphone) since last September, and the person who previously had it gave it out to everyone but didn't update them with her new number.

I entered this phone number into the Facebook search bar, and found the person who previously had it, who makes non-stop public postings about their life.

Some voicemails I've had:

1. Constant collection calls from lawn service company---these people lived in a low to mid 6 digit priced home.

2. These people moved to an even more expensive home, thus a call from the cable provider to schedule relocation of their service to their new address.

3. Fraud alert, text message, too, from Bank of America, about suspicious credit card activity.

Very glad I now have a smartphone, with apps to manage these calls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 06:07 AM

4,219 posts, read 3,159,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
you should tell him that you are in fact the gang member but that you turned yourself in to the authorities and confessed to all your crimes and they set you up with a nice house and a monthly stipend providing you stay out of trouble and convince him to do the same
That's funny, but I would not risk it.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:25 AM

14,967 posts, read 8,283,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
When I was a teenager, still living with my parents, we, as a family, got SEVERAL calls from people who only spoke Chinese. (We're not Chinese). Clearly, they were dialing a wrong #, but man, it was confusing for all of us. LOL Phone rings, "Hello?" "insert lots of Chinese characters" "I think you have the wrong #." (Hangs up.)

Come to find out, there was a new Chinese Restaurant in town, and their number was 1 digit different than ours.
I use to work at a retail store, one day picked up the phone and the person on the other end started
a long bout of Spanish....I only know a little bit of Spanish, but was standing next to the Assistant Manager whom I knew spoke the language, so I gave him the phone....In the end it turned out that they
were trying to order lunch from a nearby Chinese Restaurant, but no one could speak anything but English or Chinese at the Restaurant, and they could only speak Spanish....to make a long story short, My coworker ended up having to order their lunch for them!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
:I called my high school sweetheart. She answered the phone and I went in a long diatribe about how sexy she was. After a moment there was complete silence and then her little brother who had an identical voice said - "I think you want my sister." I was a happy cat when his voice finally changed.
I repped you for your earlier post, so couldn't do it again. But that is hilarious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post

I had a kook neighbor leave me a voicemail accusing me if training my other neighbor's dogs to attack him. Needless to say, I saved the VM.
ROFL

Lately, we have been getting phone calls from Scam Artists on our voice mail....For my husband saying that they are Officer Good and if he doesn't pay them several thousand dollars in fees, they are going to come arrest him and throw him in jail if he did not pay them the money by 6 PM (First my husband doesn't owe the money, and second it doesn't work that way....He use to be a Police Officer, and the last thing they would do, is call and tell you they were coming, if they intended on arresting you!)

We ignored it, they called again, saying the same thing...this time, that if he didn't pay the money, they would throw him in jail, and not give him any food or even water!!!! (Officer Good spoke with a thick accent, in rather bad English.)

When you google their number, it's a scam from some call center in India.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:07 AM

3,421 posts, read 7,823,521 times
Years ago when I was single I would place an ad in the paper looking for a roommate.

This was long before cell phones and internet so all you had was a landline phone.

I wanted either a male or female roommate but didn't specify that I was a male so as a result got a lot of calls from females who didn't want a male roommate. I understand this so I added that I was a male in the listing to avoid wasting time.

The first time I did this I got a call about 2AM. The male caller asked if the room was still available. I was still half asleep and didn't realize what time it was so I said yes. The caller then went into a sexually oriented conversation. I hung up.

A few months later I was again looking for a roommate so placed another ad. Again at 2AM this same guy calls with the same dialogue. Hung up again. Never heard from him again.

A little off topic but amusing....

Years ago I placed a blind box ad in the personal section of the newspaper. For our younger readers, a blind box is like a PO box that is handled by the newspaper. You place an ad in the personal section of the paper and anyone interested mails their info to your blind box number. The paper then forwards that info, via mail, to you.

I get a card in the mail from a woman that says she wants to meet me along with her phone number. I call her and we chat a few minutes. A male voice then gets on the line, starts cursing at me, then we get disconnected.

She calls back a few minutes later. "Sorry, that was my husband. He doesn't like it when men call me." I said I was not interested.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:46 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,541,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
When we were kids we used to hang out at someone's house and make prank phone calls all night. We would always dial the local prefix and then 0007 and ask if this was triple Oh seven. When she said yes, we would say "Well this is double Oh seven. Whats the mission?" After a few times, she would play along and give us some silly task to do and we would go do it and call back. "Mission accomplished triple Oh seven" One time we called and she said "Not now, my husband just died." We went and got some flowers and brought them to her. No idea how we knew where she lived, maybe a prior conversation. No google back then. We ended up becoming good friends with this lady. She was like a grown up counselor. Since we did not really know her, we could talk to her about anything. We would call her often and discuss early teen problems. She was awesome.
That is a cute story. Was this the 60's midwest? I think back them everyone had their phone number listed.

In the summer, when the weather was stormy and we were all stuck in the house we'd do the phone thing too. Do you have prince Albert in a can? Is your refridge running? Killing time waiting for Dark Shadows to come on.

This is really stupid. We called the operator and made a farting sound in to the phone. Hung up. And she called back! We kept hanging up on her and she wouldn't stop. So I talked to her. She asked if an adult was there. Ummm no (we wouldn't be doing this). Then she said don't you ever do that again, or she's calling the police. Back then we were raised to respect adults, scared the life out of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics