Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 10:12 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,397,922 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday July 17, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
Facebook and Youtube have “saved posts” or “watch later” features, question isn’t limited to those sites/examples though-
If you “save” articles, videos, etc. to read or watch at another time, do you remember to go back and read/look/listen to them eventually-
or does the list/queue keep growing ?

Extra Credit:
How often (or rarely) do you (maybe every day, maybe never)-
-say “I don’t know” ?
-apologize ?
-laugh ?

Bonus:
Have you ever removed the protective cover/housing (grill or grate) to clean off/dust/vacuum the rotating blades inside a box fan ?

Just for Fun:
Do you pronounce the first “r” in the word “February” ?
Does it confuse you that “Wednesday” is pronounced as if it were spelled “Wendsday” LOL ?
Can you think of another word whose spelling makes no sense with how it sounds ?

Today in History:
1935: Birth of singer & actress Diahann Carroll
1935: Birth of actor Donald Sutherland
1955: Opening & dedication of Anaheim, California’s Disneyland theme/amusement park
1975: Docking maneuver takes place between Soviet Soyuz & American Apollo modules in joint spaceflight test project
1984: National legal drinking age in the U.S. changed to 21 years old, from 18

Today’s Word:
autotelic /ˌôdōˈtelik/ (adj.): Containing or comprising its own meaning, purpose, or goal-intrinsic to, within, the activity itself.

Today Is:
World Emoji Day
National Peach Ice Cream Day
World Day for International Justice

-this week is-
Everybody Deserves A Massage Week

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at upper right corner-

Thought for the Day:
“To hope is dangerous, and yet it is the opposite of fear, for to live is to risk.”
-Rebecca Solnit

Wishing you a day in which your hopes are realized, rather than your fears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 10:18 PM

21,639 posts, read 8,797,885 times

Today’s Question:
Facebook and Youtube have “saved posts” or “watch later” features, question isn’t limited to those sites/examples though-
If you “save” articles, videos, etc. to read or watch at another time, do you remember to go back and read/look/listen to them eventually-
I didn't know about those features and so have never used them. Thanks!
Extra Credit:
-say “I don’t know”?
A lot. Mr. Bay thinks I know everything.
-apologize?
When the situation warrants it.
-laugh?
Every day. It's my health plan.

Bonus:
Have you ever removed the protective cover/housing (grill or grate) to clean off/dust/vacuum the rotating blades inside a box fan ?
I've never owned a box fan, so no.

Just for Fun:
Do you pronounce the first “r” in the word “February”?
Just barely. I know it's supposed to be there.
Does it confuse you that “Wednesday” is pronounced as if it were spelled “Wendsday” LOL?
When it comes to the English language, nothing surprises me.
Can you think of another word whose spelling makes no sense with how it sounds ?
Jeopardy
Solder
Yacht
Catsup
Timbre
Worcestershire

Thanks, Cloven!

Last edited by Bayarea4; 07-16-2017 at 10:27 PM..

Old 07-16-2017, 10:38 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,026,498 times

Today’s Question:
I don't do Facebook and don't save any videos I look at.

Extra Credit:
-say “I don’t know” ? I don't know if I have ever admitted to not knowing.
-apologize ? Anymore only if I am actually wrong
-laugh ? I seem to find something to laugh about every day

Bonus:
Has been about 40 years since I had a box fan. Pretty sure I never took it apart

Just for Fun:
Do you pronounce the first “r” in the word “February” ? Everyone knows that "r" is silent don't they?
Does it confuse you that “Wednesday” is pronounced as if it were spelled “Wendsday” LOL ? Nope
Can you think of another word whose spelling makes no sense with how it sounds ? I can't think period.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:54 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,051,859 times

Today’s Question:

Extra Credit:
-say “I don’t know” ? I don't know.
-apologize ? When needed.
-laugh ? Often.

Bonus:

Just for Fun:
Do you pronounce the first “r” in the word “February” ? Not usually.
Does it confuse you that “Wednesday” is pronounced as if it were spelled “Wendsday” LOL ?
Can you think of another word whose spelling makes no sense with how it sounds ? Not at the moment.

Today in History:
1955: Opening & dedication of Anaheim, California’s Disneyland theme/amusement park
1975: Docking maneuver takes place between Soviet Soyuz & American Apollo modules in joint spaceflight test project

Today’s Word:
autotelic /ˌôdōˈtelik/ (adj.): Containing or comprising its own meaning, purpose, or goal-intrinsic to, within, the activity itself.

Today Is:
World Emoji Day

-this week is-

Thought for the Day:
“To hope is dangerous, and yet it is the opposite of fear, for to live is to risk.”
-Rebecca Solnit

Thanks Cloven! Nice job!

Old 07-16-2017, 11:34 PM

44,702 posts, read 61,882,008 times
Today’s Question:
or does the list/queue keep growing ? n/a, don't do that stuff.

Extra Credit:
-say “I don’t know” ? Occasionally.
-apologize ? Rarely
-laugh ? All the time.

Bonus:
Have you ever removed the protective cover/housing (grill or grate) to clean off/dust/vacuum the rotating blades inside a box fan ? Don't recall, haven't had a box fan in over 30 years.

Just for Fun:
Do you pronounce the first “r” in the word “February” ? R is always silent.
Does it confuse you that “Wednesday” is pronounced as if it were spelled “Wendsday” LOL ? D is always silent.
Can you think of another word whose spelling makes no sense with how it sounds ? Saguaro, which is pronounced saw-war-o.

For you cloven

Old 07-17-2017, 12:17 AM

39,071 posts, read 23,070,858 times
Today’s Question:
or does the list/queue keep growing ? I never use this feature.

Extra Credit:
-say “I don’t know” ? Once or twice a week.
-apologize ? About 3-4 times a week.
-laugh ? Every day.

Bonus:
Have you ever removed the protective cover/housing (grill or grate) to clean off/dust/vacuum the rotating blades inside a box fan ? I don't have a box fan but I have a few electric fans that oscillate. On those, I will periodically clean the fan blades by removing the front grate/grill.

Just for Fun:
Do you pronounce the first “r” in the word “February” ? "FEB-yoo-air-ee" is how I pronounce it.
Does it confuse you that “Wednesday” is pronounced as if it were spelled “Wendsday” LOL ? Yes, I've wondered about that on occasion. Kind of like why is "knife" spelled with a K?
Can you think of another word whose spelling makes no sense with how it sounds ? Boatswain.

Today in History:
1955: Opening & dedication of Anaheim, California’s Disneyland theme/amusement park <--Been there, done that! Many times.

Have a great start to the new week ahead!

Old 07-17-2017, 12:24 AM

15,443 posts, read 21,431,231 times
Yikes! I didn't realize it was well after midnight. I need to get to sleep. I have a tractor to deliver tomorrow and have to drive over 100 miles.

Today’s Question:
or does the list/queue keep growing ? I knew of the feature but have never used it.

Extra Credit:
-say “I don’t know” ? I don't say it too often but I think it very often.
-apologize ? I've never really had any problem apologizing. I just don't have the opportunity too often these days.
-laugh ? I probably cry more than I laugh these days.
Actually I don't have much opportunity to speak to anyone here at the farm. Sometimes I don't see another human being for a week or more unless I happen to look outside when the postman passes.

Bonus:
Have you ever removed the protective cover/housing (grill or grate) to clean off/dust/vacuum the rotating blades inside a box fan ? We have two very old box fans here at the farm. I have at time removed the housings to clean them but, usually out here in arid west Texas and New Mexico, I simply take the entire fan outside, spray the dirty blades with a degreaser, wash the entire thing with the water hose, then allow it to dry in the sun.

Disclaimer: Do not try this in any place where swamp coolers are unknown.

Just for Fun:
Do you pronounce the first “r” in the word “February” ? I do. Is this wrong?
Does it confuse you that “Wednesday” is pronounced as if it were spelled “Wendsday” LOL ? No but it always seems odd when I write it out.
Can you think of another word whose spelling makes no sense with how it sounds ? The word you always sounds to me like you are calling someone a female sheep.

Today in History:
1955: Opening & dedication of Anaheim, California’s Disneyland theme/amusement park It's a great park!
1984: National legal drinking age in the U.S. changed to 21 years old, from 18 Except very appropriately in many military bases.

Thought for the Day:
“To hope is dangerous, and yet it is the opposite of fear, for to live is to risk.” - Rebecca Solnit
It certainly does not seem to bode well for the human species when so many folks these days seem to fear any additional risks in their lives such that they are willing to surrender freedoms to achieve risk-free lives.

Sorry about my digression Cloven. Good questions though.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:18 AM

18,761 posts, read 11,845,239 times
[quote=cloven;48862003]Happy Monday July 17, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
I had no idea that even existed.
Extra Credit:
-say “I don’t know” ? Not often.
-apologize ? Almost never. I try hard not to do something that I have to apologize for.
-laugh ? Several times a day.

Bonus:
All the time.
Just for Fun:
Do you pronounce the first “r” in the word “February” ? Yes.
Not at 3am. My brain is shutting down and I need to go to sleep.
Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
World Emoji Day

-this week is-

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at upper right corner-

Thought for the Day:
-Rebecca Solnit

Thank you dear one. That's very sweet.

Poor John has to start his colonoscopy prep today. I feel bad for him.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:44 AM

11,415 posts, read 9,342,280 times
Today’s Question:
Facebook and YouTube have “saved posts” or “watch later” features, question isn’t limited to those sites/examples though-
- Never used the "watch later" feature on YouTube but I know it's there. I've had an account with them since 2006, almost the very beginning.

N/A to Facebook.

Extra Credit:
-say “I don’t know” ?
-apologize ?
- "On behalf of the company" or "their behalf," something like that. I don't have much human contact outside of work.
I don't get into too much controversial stuff on City-Data so I can't recall if I ever did that here.
-laugh ? - Maybe an average of once or twice per day.

Bonus:
- No. It's been years since I used one.

Just for Fun:
Do you pronounce the first “r” in the word “February” ?
- Nope
Does it confuse you that “Wednesday” is pronounced as if it were spelled “Wendsday” LOL ? - No, just used to saying it.

Can you think of another word whose spelling makes no sense with how it sounds ? - Knife

Thanks, cloven.
Happy Monday to all!

Old 07-17-2017, 04:05 AM

18,968 posts, read 11,639,321 times
Today’s Question:
or does the list/queue keep growing ? a little of both!

Extra Credit:
-say “I don’t know” ? sometimes because I don't know something "substantial" or that I think I should know for my job. Often, though, when someone asks simple stuff like "where's x?" Also often as a technique with kids or clients - to flip it back to them for problem solving or more info
-apologize ? i often do the stereotypical female "sorry" for everything - you know, like "oh sorry" just because I'm in the way when someone else walks through. Really need to stop that. Also say it fairly often because people divulge sad/difficult stuff to me. I wrote a note of apology to another car that I scraped yesterday Real apologies like that are rarer, though - not because I'm stubborn but because I'm pretty agreeable.
-laugh ? daily at home, work, and often just to myself (little giggle or snort if I see or read something funny

Bonus:
Have you ever removed the protective cover/housing (grill or grate) to clean off/dust/vacuum the rotating blades inside a box fan ? no but I've removed it to fix a blade or whatever and then maybe given it a quick dusting

Just for Fun:
Do you pronounce the first “r” in the word “February” ? yes lightly
Does it confuse you that “Wednesday” is pronounced as if it were spelled “Wendsday” LOL ? no but I know what you mean
Can you think of another word whose spelling makes no sense with how it sounds ? lots. One that I deal with regularly and makes these lists is colonel

[/color][/b]Wishing you a day in which your hopes are realized, rather than your fears.heres hoping - thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics