Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 09:13 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,654,084 times

Advertisements

Today’s Question:
Facebook and Youtube have “saved posts” or “watch later” features, question isn’t limited to those sites/examples though-
If you “save” articles, videos, etc. to read or watch at another time, do you remember to go back and read/look/listen to them eventually-
or does the list/queue keep growing ?

Extra Credit:
How often (or rarely) do you (maybe every day, maybe never)-
-say “I don’t know” ? severl
-apologize ? occasionally
-laugh ? sometimes

Bonus:
Have you ever removed the protective cover/housing (grill or grate) to clean off/dust/vacuum the rotating blades inside a box fan ? yes

Just for Fun:
Do you pronounce the first “r” in the word “February” ? no
Does it confuse you that “Wednesday” is pronounced as if it were spelled “Wendsday” LOL ? no
Can you think of another word whose spelling makes no sense with how it sounds ? salmon

Today in History:
1935: Birth of singer & actress Diahann Carroll
1935: Birth of actor Donald Sutherland
1955: Opening & dedication of Anaheim, California’s Disneyland theme/amusement park
1975: Docking maneuver takes place between Soviet Soyuz & American Apollo modules in joint spaceflight test project
1984: National legal drinking age in the U.S. changed to 21 years old, from 18

Today’s Word:
autotelic /ˌôdōˈtelik/ (adj.): Containing or comprising its own meaning, purpose, or goal-intrinsic to, within, the activity itself.

Today Is:
World Emoji Day
National Peach Ice Cream Day
World Day for International Justice[/b][/color]
-this week is-
Everybody Deserves A Massage Week

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at upper right corner-

Thought for the Day:
“To hope is dangerous, and yet it is the opposite of fear, for to live is to risk.”
-Rebecca Solnit

Wishing you a day in which your hopes are realized, rather than your fears.[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 09:14 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,616,886 times
Mornin' all!

Today’s Question:
Facebook and Youtube have “saved posts” or “watch later” features, question isn’t limited to those sites/examples though-If you “save” articles, videos, etc. to read or watch at another time, do you remember to go back and read/look/listen to them eventually-or does the list/queue keep growing ?
I Bookmark a lot of things. The list mostly keeps growing, but I try to keep it manageable. Sometimes I save things after reading for future references.

Extra Credit:
How often (or rarely) do you (maybe every day, maybe never)--
say “I don’t know” ? I honestly don't know. LOL
-apologize ? As often as I feel is necessary.
-laugh ? As often as possible.

Bonus:
Have you ever removed the protective cover/housing (grill or grate) to clean off/dust/vacuum the rotating blades inside a box fan ?
Sure.

Just for Fun:
Do you pronounce the first “r” in the word “February” ?
I do, but I talk fast, so it often doesn't "read" into the word.
Does it confuse you that “Wednesday” is pronounced as if it were spelled “Wendsday” LOL ?
Not generally. I believe it was named after the Norse God, Wotan.
Can you think of another word whose spelling makes no sense with how it sounds ?
Colonel

Today in History:
1935: Birth of singer & actress Diahann Carroll.
1935: Birth of actor Donald Sutherland.
1955: Opening & dedication of Anaheim, California’s Disneyland theme/amusement park
1975: Docking maneuver takes place between Soviet Soyuz & American Apollo modules in joint spaceflight test project
1984: National legal drinking age in the U.S. changed to 21 years old, from 18

Today’s Word:
autotelic /ˌôdōˈtelik/ (adj.):
Containing or comprising its own meaning, purpose, or goal-intrinsic to, within, the activity itself.

Today Is:
World Emoji Day
National Peach Ice Cream Day.
World Day for International Justice
-this week is-
Everybody Deserves A Massage Week

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at upper right corner-
Woo hoo!

Thought for the Day:
“To hope is dangerous, and yet it is the opposite of fear, for to live is to risk.” -Rebecca Solnit

Wishing you a day in which your hopes are realized, rather than your fears.
Thanx cloven. Same to you. And thanx for the fun Qs and the maze!
Have a good day everyone!

Old 07-17-2017, 10:26 AM

44,374 posts, read 20,088,633 times
Today’s Question:
Facebook and Youtube have “saved posts” or “watch later” features, question isn’t limited to those sites/examples though-
If you “save” articles, videos, etc. to read or watch at another time, do you remember to go back and read/look/listen to them eventually-
or does the list/queue keep growing? I've never done this; wouldn't know how.

Extra Credit:
-say “I don’t know”? Whenever I don't know!
-apologize? If I've wronged someone, even though unintentional, I am quick to apologize.
-laugh? I laugh every day; sometimes a lot; sometimes a little. It depends on where I am and what I'm doing. I laugh in my car quite often, when I listen to Laugh USA, a family-friendly comedy channel on Sirius/XM.

Bonus: Have you ever removed the protective cover/housing (grill or grate) to clean off/dust/vacuum the rotating blades inside a box fan? Yes; many times.

Just for Fun:
Do you pronounce the first “r” in the word “February”? Yes, but only about half the time.
Does it confuse you that “Wednesday” is pronounced as if it were spelled “Wendsday” LOL? It doesn't confuse me, but it annoys me, especially when I'm writing it out. Who the heck came up with that spelling, anyway?
Can you think of another word whose spelling makes no sense with how it sounds? Many English words with French derivations, such as "bouquet."

Today’s Word:
autotelic /ˌôdōˈtelik/ (adj.): Containing or comprising its own meaning, purpose, or goal-intrinsic to, within, the activity itself.
Interesting. "Autotelic" sounds like an autotelic word!

Today Is:
World Emoji Day I heard this on the radio this morning.
National Peach Ice Cream Day No, thanks. I'd rather have vanilla or chocolate.
World Day for International Justice
-this week is-
Everybody Deserves A Massage Week Oooo, sounds good. Who's paying?

Cloven, all of your puzzles are beautiful, but today's is spectacular!

Happy Monday, everybody!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:51 AM

3,080 posts, read 1,686,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Happy Monday July 17, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:

My queue list keeps growing. In FB I have only a few things saved but I do use them. In the internet I have tons of stuff saved and, no, I don't return to many things hardly at all. On occasion I try to clean through them. Netflix has a long list on the queue and, again, do try to clean through it once in awhile.

Extra Credit:
-say “I don’t know” ?
-apologize ? I only do it when I mean it, which is seldom.
-laugh ? Don't really know but not as often as I'd like. Some people think I laugh a lot.

Bonus:
Have you ever removed the protective cover/housing (grill or grate) to clean off/dust/vacuum the rotating blades inside a box fan ? Once.

Just for Fun:
Do you pronounce the first “r” in the word “February” ? Yes
Does it confuse you that “Wednesday” is pronounced as if it were spelled “Wendsday” LOL ? Nah
Can you think of another word whose spelling makes no sense with how it sounds ? Colonel is one (pronounced kernel).

Wishing you a day in which your hopes are realized, rather than your fears.
Thanks, Cloven. Have a great week, everyone.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:44 AM

7,377 posts, read 5,491,311 times
Happy Monday July 17, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
or does the list/queue keep growing? I save very little but I do edit things I've saved on a regular basis.

Extra Credit:
-say “I don’t know” ? I don't know
-apologize ? Sometimes
-laugh ? Every day

Bonus:
Have you ever removed the protective cover/housing (grill or grate) to clean off/dust/vacuum the rotating blades inside a box fan ? We don't have a box fan.

Just for Fun:
Do you pronounce the first “r” in the word “February” ? no
Does it confuse you that “Wednesday” is pronounced as if it were spelled “Wendsday” LOL ? no
Can you think of another word whose spelling makes no sense with how it sounds ? Lots of them.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:54 AM

24,498 posts, read 26,042,042 times
Today’s Question:
I don't use that feature.

Extra Credit:
-say “I don’t know” ?When I don't know.
-apologize ?When I should.
-laugh ?Daily, sometimes just a giggle.

Bonus:
Have you ever removed the protective cover/housing (grill or grate) to clean off/dust/vacuum the rotating blades inside a box fan ?
I have done this.

Just for Fun:
No

Does it confuse you that “Wednesday” is pronounced as if it were spelled “Wendsday” LOL ?
Not confused, but iy makes you wonder why they did that.

Can you think of another word whose spelling makes no sense with how it sounds ?
Oh shure, one of my peeves.
xcite
xampul
levator
lementare
scalator
menshun
attenshun

Thanx Cloven for the wurd game Q's.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:09 PM
bjh

60,110 posts, read 30,431,649 times
Today’s Question:
I don't use that feature on youtube, and I don't have a Facebook account.

Extra Credit:
-say “I don’t know” ? Daily. Not admitting you don't know looks worse than not knowing.
-apologize ? I won't be a doormat, but
will apologize when I've negatively impacted someone, intentionally or not.
-laugh ? Daily.

Bonus:
Sure.

Just for Fun:
Do you pronounce the first “r” in the word “February” ? FEB-you-air-ee
No, because they were named after the English gods, in that case Woden.
English is famous for this, but it does make sense based on word history. Consider cough, dough, plough (American plow), and rough all end in the same four letters.

Today’s Word:

Thank you, cloven, for today's QotD, as
autotelic as always.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:30 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,378,216 times
Today’s Question:
In the instances where I use that site feature, I let the queue grow for a few days, maybe a week or two-
but I do get around to clearing out saved items in a couple focused sessions...which then leads to my filling it up again

Extra Credit:
-say “I don’t know” ? Multiple times a day.
-apologize ? Most days, albeit for minor things-to be polite.
-laugh ? If not every day, at least every week-more, depending on the conversational partner

Bonus:

Just for Fun:
Not a lot, or I'll elide the second "r" instead & it just sounds all vague & smooshed in middle of word
Yup.
so many..."iron" is particularly irritating to me, it sounds like it would be spelled "iorn"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics