Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 12:22 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,424,261 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday May 8, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
It’s mid-spring in the northeast U.S., a time of weather transition...warmer than winter & colder than summer.
If you live someplace that necessitates different outerwear based on time of year,
have you switched seasonal clothing yet (put some garb away & dug other garments out) ?

Extra Credit:
What, if anything, is under your bed-do you store anything there ?
If you have a couch, is there room underneath (between the bottom and the floor) to stow/store anything (other than dustbunnies LOL) ?
Do you have a couch or chair roomy enough & comfy enough for you to fall asleep on/in ?

Bonus:
Have you ever slept…
-on a train, plane, or bus ?
-in a bed/mattress that was flat on the floor, without a bed frame/platform ?
-in a sleeping bag ?
-on a blanket on the ground, or atop a towel on the sand ?
-in a hammock ?
-in a bunk bed ? if so, did it have a ladder ?

Just for Fun:
If you’ve received a package in the mail, did it contain (as protective cushioning)
“bagged air”, packing peanuts/styrofoam, bubble wrap, or another kind of safety measure ?
If so, once your items were removed, what did you do with the left over shock-absorbing materials ?

Today in History:
1926: Birth of naturalist & broadcaster David Attenborough (Life on Earth & countless other documentaries)
1932: Birth of actress Phyllida Law (The Winter Guest)
1954: Birth of actor David Keith (Firestarter)
1955: Birth of actor Stephen Furst (St. Elsewhere, Babylon 5)
1964: Birth of actress Melissa Gilbert (Little House on the Prairie)
1978: Peter Habeler & Reinhold Messner become the first to ascend Mt. Everest without use of supplemental oxygen
1984: Official opening of London’s Thames Barrier, flood barrier built to protect against storm surges

Today’s Word:
diminuendo /dəˌmin(y)əˈwendō/ (is variously a noun, adjective/adverb, and/or verb):
Musical term meaning a decrease in loudness, force, or intensity. Diminishing, as in a decrescendo.

Today Is:
World Red Cross Day
No Socks Day
-this week is-
National Etiquette Week

Today’s Picture:

Entrance & exit are near (lower right of) middle-

Thought for the Day:
“Knowing without feeling is like a menu without a meal.”
-Rick Hanson

Wishing all y’all a Monday full of pleasant people & delightful things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 12:31 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,226,615 times

Today’s Question:
It’s mid-spring in the northeast U.S., a time of weather transition...warmer than winter & colder than summer.
If you live someplace that necessitates different outerwear based on time of year,
have you switched seasonal clothing yet (put some garb away & dug other garments out) ?
Not really. It's was a pretty mild winter and summer hasn't quite arrived.
Extra Credit:
What, if anything, is under your bed-do you store anything there ? Junk...shoe boxes and such.
If you have a couch, is there room underneath (between the bottom and the floor) to stow/store anything (other than dustbunnies LOL) ?
Do you have a couch or chair roomy enough & comfy enough for you to fall asleep on/in ?
Not really at this time. Big enough, yes...comfy, no.
Bonus:
Have you ever slept…
-on a train, plane, or bus ? Probably.
-in a bed/mattress that was flat on the floor, without a bed frame/platform ? Possibly in my younger days.
-in a sleeping bag ?
-in a hammock ? Not sure if actually slept.

Just for Fun:
If you’ve received a package in the mail, did it contain (as protective cushioning)
“bagged air”, packing peanuts/styrofoam, bubble wrap, or another kind of safety measure ? All of the above at one time or the other.
If so, once your items were removed, what did you do with the left over shock-absorbing materials ?
Some I save for future use, but my boys buy rolls of all that stuff for shipping.
Today in History:
1926: Birth of naturalist & broadcaster David Attenborough (Life on Earth & countless other documentaries)
1978: Peter Habeler & Reinhold Messner become the first to ascend Mt. Everest without use of supplemental oxygen
1984: Official opening of London’s Thames Barrier, flood barrier built to protect against storm surges

Today’s Word:
diminuendo /dəˌmin(y)əˈwendō/ (is variously a noun, adjective/adverb, and/or verb):
Musical term meaning a decrease in loudness, force, or intensity. Diminishing, as in a decrescendo.

Today Is:
World Red Cross Day
No Socks Day
-this week is-
National Etiquette Week

Thought for the Day:
-Rick Hanson

Thanks Cloven! Nice job!

Old 05-08-2017, 12:45 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,254,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post

Today’s Question:
have you switched seasonal clothing yet (put some garb away & dug other garments out) ?This year it has been crazy. We have had record highs and record low temps in the same week.:Some days it's T shirt trying to get a start on a tan and other days the jacket comes back on. (

Extra Credit:
What, if anything, is under your bed-do you store anything there ?No. It's too much hassle for this old man to have to get down to get something out from under anything.
If you have a couch, is there room underneath (between the bottom and the floor) to stow/store anything (other than dustbunnies LOL) ?NO

Bonus:
Have you ever slept…
-on a train, plane, or bus ? No
-in a bed/mattress that was flat on the floor, without a bed frame/platform ?Yes
-in a sleeping bag ?Yes
-on a blanket on the ground, or atop a towel on the sand ?Yes but it;s been a while
-in a hammock ?No
-in a bunk bed ?Yes if so, did it have a ladder ?Not that I remember

Just for Fun:
“bagged air”, packing peanuts/styrofoam, bubble wrap, or another kind of safety measure ? Yes
If so, once your items were removed, what did you do with the left over shock-absorbing materials ?straight out to the trash

Today in History:
1940: longneckone

Today Is:
World Red Cross Day
No Socks Day
-this week is-[b]
National Etiquette Week

Thought for the Day:
-Rick Hanson

Thanks cloven

Old 05-08-2017, 01:26 AM

21,730 posts, read 8,871,215 times

Today’s Question:
Not applicable here in Northern California. I wear most of the same clothes year-round except that I wear my sweaters and coats more in winter and my short sleeves and sandals more in summer.
Extra Credit:
There are two extra leaves for the dining room table stored under the bed.
No, there isn't enough room.
We have
a recliner, but I'm a shortie and Mr. Bay is very tall, so the chair fits him better than it fits me. It's really his chair. But I suppose I could sleep in it if I had to.

Bonus:
Have you ever slept…

Yes, a few times on a bus and plane. Never on a train.

Yes, when I was young, single and too broke to buy proper furniture.

-in a sleeping bag ?
Yes, I've camped out a few times.
Not really, except for the occasional brief snooze.
-in a hammock ?
No, but I'd like to try it.
Yes, and yes. I thought it was a big treat to sleep on the top bunk.

Just for Fun:
“bagged air”, packing peanuts/styrofoam, bubble wrap, or another kind of safety measure ?
Yes. I save the materials in case I ever need to pack anything fragile. I have also taken bags of styrofoam peanuts to places that accept them such as the UPS Store.

Thanks, cloven! This week's maze reminds me of sea creatures.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 05-08-2017 at 01:26 AM.. Reason: spacing

Old 05-08-2017, 01:32 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,878,062 times

Today’s Question:
have you switched seasonal clothing yet (put some garb away & dug other garments out) ? Dug some out for warmer days, but haven't put anything away. It's not predicted to reach 50F today.

Extra Credit:
What, if anything, is under your bed-do you store anything there ? Nothing
If you have a couch, is there room underneath (between the bottom and the floor) to stow/store anything (other than dustbunnies LOL) ? No couch
Do you have a couch or chair roomy enough & comfy enough for you to fall asleep on/in ? Don't

Bonus:
Have you ever slept…
-on a train, plane, or bus ? Can't sleep with other people around
-in a bed/mattress that was flat on the floor, without a bed frame/platform ? On an air mattress
-in a sleeping bag ? Many years ago at camp, also just on the ground under the stars
-on a blanket on the ground, or atop a towel on the sand ? Haven't
-in a hammock ? Have rested but not slept
-in a bunk bed ? if so, did it have a ladder ? Again, at camp. It may have had a ladder, but it was so long ago....

Just for Fun:
“bagged air”, packing peanuts/styrofoam, bubble wrap, or another kind of safety measure ? Sure
If so, once your items were removed, what did you do with the left over shock-absorbing materials ? Peanuts, I've thrown away. Recycling center doesn't accept them. "Air pillows" have deflated and thrown away. Bubble wrap..... Played with; sometimes danced on and then thrown away.

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
World Red Cross Day
No Socks Day
-this week is-
National Etiquette Week

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:
-Rick Hanson

Oh, that would be nice! Thanks, cloven!

Old 05-08-2017, 05:05 AM

11,446 posts, read 9,396,728 times
Today’s Question:
- Last weekend I wore shorts for the first time this season.

Extra Credit:
- Shoes

If you have a couch, is there room underneath (between the bottom and the floor) to stow/store anything (other than dustbunnies LOL) ? - N/A

Do you have a couch or chair roomy enough & comfy enough for you to fall asleep on/in ? - A large chair

Bonus:
Have you ever slept…
- Only 45 minutes on a train once.

-in a bed/mattress that was flat on the floor, without a bed frame/platform ? - Apartment of a former GF

-in a sleeping bag ? - Maybe but I don't remember.

-on a blanket on the ground, or atop a towel on the sand ? - No

-in a hammock ? - I was never even in one of thoise

-in a bunk bed ? if so, did it have a ladder ? - Never

Just for Fun:

Last time was packing paper that I recycled

Today in History:
I checked to confirm and he is still living and active. Happy Birthday, Sir David!

Thanks for the Monday Questions and I hope everyone has a great day!

Old 05-08-2017, 05:28 AM

36,572 posts, read 16,157,367 times
Today’s Question:
have you switched seasonal clothing yet (put some garb away & dug other garments out) ? Not really, have some stuff I may pull out and take a look at it.

Extra Credit:
What, if anything, is under your bed-do you store anything there ?Nothing
If you have a couch, is there room underneath (between the bottom and the floor) to stow/store anything (other than dustbunnies LOL) ?No
Do you have a couch or chair roomy enough & comfy enough for you to fall asleep on/in ?My recliner, but rarely fall asleep there.

Bonus:
Have you ever slept…
-in a sleeping bag ?
-on a blanket on the ground, or atop a towel on the sand ? No
-in a hammock ? No
-in a bunk bed ? if so, did it have a ladder ? I think it had a ladder, I don't remember.

Just for Fun:
“bagged air”, packing peanuts/styrofoam, bubble wrap, or another kind of safety measure ? Most of the time.
Save some for shipping, throw away the rest.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:32 AM

8,003 posts, read 5,456,101 times
Good Morning

Today’s Question:
have you switched seasonal clothing yet (put some garb away & dug other garments out) ? Mother Nature is always crazy this time of year. One day the heat is on, the next day the a/c is on. Haven't put anything away yet--a few of my warm weather clothes are out.

Extra Credit:
What, if anything, is under your bed-do you store anything there ? Shoes
If you have a couch, is there room underneath (between the bottom and the floor) to stow/store anything (other than dustbunnies LOL) ? No, just the dust bunnies
Do you have a couch or chair roomy enough & comfy enough for you to fall asleep on/in ? Yes, my sofa and I have a good relationship.

Bonus:
Have you ever slept…
-in a sleeping bag ? Long ago in Girl Scouts
-in a hammock ?
-in a bunk bed ? if so, did it have a ladder ? When my sons were little--yes it had a ladder.

Just for Fun:
If so, once your items were removed, what did you do with the left over shock-absorbing materials ? Depends--sometimes I keep some to reuse at a latter date. Some I just toss in recycling.

Today Is:
World Red Cross Day
No Socks Day Today is a chilly day! I need my socks!
-this week is-
National Etiquette Week

Today’s Picture:
Thanks for the maze!

Have a wonderful day!

Old 05-08-2017, 05:47 AM

126,527 posts, read 19,279,654 times

Today’s Question:
have you switched seasonal clothing yet (put some garb away & dug other garments out) ? I learned not to put any winter clothes away til June. For example we had frost overnight with -4 C.

Extra Credit:
What, if anything, is under your bed-do you store anything there ? There is only a carpet,nothing stored underneath
If you have a couch, is there room underneath (between the bottom and the floor) to stow/store anything (other than dustbunnies LOL) ? No there is no room for anything except maybe some dust
Do you have a couch or chair roomy enough & comfy enough for you to fall asleep on/in ? Yes I do but I have no problem to fall asleep anywhere

Bonus:
Have you ever slept…
-on a train, plane, or bus ? Yes I did on all 3
Yes many times

-in a sleeping bag ? so many times
-on a blanket on the ground, or atop a towel on the sand ? Yes
-in a hammock ? Never
-in a bunk bed ? if so, did it have a ladder ? Yes to both

Just for Fun:
“bagged air”, packing peanuts/styrofoam, bubble wrap, or another kind of safety measure ? All of the above
If so, once your items were removed, what did you do with the left over shock-absorbing materials ? Put it in my recycling bin

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
World Red Cross Day
No Socks Day
-this week is-
National Etiquette Week

Today’s Picture:...................cloven I really like this black and white maze,really cool looking

Thought for the Day:
“Knowing without feeling is like a menu without a meal.”..........Great quote
-Rick Hanson

Thank you cloven and all the best to EVERYONE

Old 05-08-2017, 06:03 AM

27,498 posts, read 27,526,788 times
Under my bed, nothing. It's a pedestal bed so you can't put anything under it.
We have two full size couches and two love seats in the living room (it's a big living room) and from time to time, someone had either napped or slept on one of them.
Yes I've slept on planes and buses on those long commutes.
Sleeping bags, yup, camping.
Happy Monday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics