Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 06:29 AM

7,443 posts, read 5,545,965 times

Advertisements

COLOR=DarkRed][b]Happy Monday May 8, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
It’s mid-spring in the northeast U.S., a time of weather transition...warmer than winter & colder than summer.
If you live someplace that necessitates different outerwear based on time of year,
have you switched seasonal clothing yet (put some garb away & dug other garments out) ? It's still too cold for this time of the year. Should be warmer by now. I'm wearing my winter clothes but not my winter coat anymore. You still have to wear some sort of jacket outside.

Extra Credit:
What, if anything, is under your bed-do you store anything there ? I have a couple storage boxes under the bed with shoes, purses traveling odds and ends in them.
If you have a couch, is there room underneath (between the bottom and the floor) to stow/store anything (other than dustbunnies LOL) ? No
Do you have a couch or chair roomy enough & comfy enough for you to fall asleep on/in ? Yes

Bonus:
Have you ever slept…
-on a train, plane, or bus ? No
-in a bed/mattress that was flat on the floor, without a bed frame/platform ? No
-in a sleeping bag ? Yes. When I was a kid
-on a blanket on the ground, or atop a towel on the sand ? No
-in a hammock ? No
-in a bunk bed ? if so, did it have a ladder ? No

Just for Fun:
If you’ve received a package in the mail, did it contain (as protective cushioning)
“bagged air”, packing peanuts/styrofoam, bubble wrap, or another kind of safety measure ? Yes to all
If so, once your items were removed, what did you do with the left over shock-absorbing materials ? Popped the bubble wrap. I throw away that stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 06:44 AM

5,925 posts, read 3,848,447 times
Happy Monday May 8, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
It’s mid-spring in the northeast U.S., a time of weather transition...warmer than winter & colder than summer.
If you live someplace that necessitates different outerwear based on time of year,
have you switched seasonal clothing yet (put some garb away & dug other garments out) ?
Our winters here are usually mild and I'm hot-natured so I don't really have winter clothes, the only change I make really is wearing enclosed shoes and putting away the flip-flops for a couple of months

Extra Credit:
What, if anything, is under your bed-do you store anything there ?
Yes, I have limited storage so I have to use underneath the bed some things, mostly old electronics that I need to do something with and my gun
If you have a couch, is there room underneath (between the bottom and the floor) to stow/store anything (other than dustbunnies LOL) ?
Yeah there is room but I don't normally put anything underneath the sofa
Do you have a couch or chair roomy enough & comfy enough for you to fall asleep on/in ?
Actually what I'm using right now is a Futon, it is extremely uncomfortable to sit or lay on unless it's pulled out as a bed. I'm trying to order a new sofa but I'm having trouble with it,
there's a glitch in the delivery service part so can't order it just yet- working with the vendor to get it straightened out

Bonus:
Have you ever slept…
-on a train, plane, or bus ?
No I normally can't fall asleep on anything that's moving
-in a bed/mattress that was flat on the floor, without a bed frame/platform ?
Yes many times
-in a sleeping bag ?
Yes but it was very uncomfortable
-on a blanket on the ground, or atop a towel on the sand ?
nope
-in a hammock ?
yes
-in a bunk bed ? if so, did it have a ladder ?
not that I remember

Just for Fun:
If you’ve received a package in the mail, did it contain (as protective cushioning)
“bagged air”, packing peanuts/styrofoam, bubble wrap, or another kind of safety measure ?
the last one I received had the plastic bagged air
If so, once your items were removed, what did you do with the left over shock-absorbing materials ?
I popped the bags and put it in the trash

Today in History:
1926: Birth of naturalist & broadcaster David Attenborough (Life on Earth & countless other documentaries)
1932: Birth of actress Phyllida Law (The Winter Guest)
1954: Birth of actor David Keith (Firestarter)
1955: Birth of actor Stephen Furst (St. Elsewhere, Babylon 5)
1964: Birth of actress Melissa Gilbert (Little House on the Prairie)
1978: Peter Habeler & Reinhold Messner become the first to ascend Mt. Everest without use of supplemental oxygen
1984: Official opening of London’s Thames Barrier, flood barrier built to protect against storm surges

Today’s Word:
diminuendo /dəˌmin(y)əˈwendō/ (is variously a noun, adjective/adverb, and/or verb):
Musical term meaning a decrease in loudness, force, or intensity. Diminishing, as in a decrescendo.

Today Is:
World Red Cross Day
No Socks Day (it's flip-flop weather yay!)
-this week is-
National Etiquette Week

Today’s Picture:

Entrance & exit are near (lower right of) middle-

Thought for the Day:
“Knowing without feeling is like a menu without a meal.”
-Rick Hanson

Wishing all y’all a Monday full of pleasant people & delightful things

Thanks Cloven!

Old 05-08-2017, 08:00 AM

31,304 posts, read 33,024,602 times
Happy Monday May 8, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
have you switched seasonal clothing yet (put some garb away & dug other garments out) ?
Phoenix has mild winters and we don't have to do much to stay warm. Usually a light jacket works at night time during the season.

Extra Credit:
Nothing under the bed here.
If you have a couch, is there room underneath (between the bottom and the floor) to stow/store anything (other than dustbunnies LOL) ?
Not much room under the couches here.
Do you have a couch or chair roomy enough & comfy enough for you to fall asleep on/in ?
It's ok to sleep on but only if needed.
Bonus:
Have you ever slept…
No ,, it's not easy for me to do
not that I recall
-in a sleeping bag ?
Yes
no
-in a hammock ?
no
Yes, in the military for years but no ladder.

Just for Fun:
“bagged air”, packing peanuts/styrofoam, bubble wrap, or another kind of safety measure ?
styrofoam
If so, once your items were removed, what did you do with the left over shock-absorbing materials ?
I reuse them if I can otherwise they go in the trash.
Today in History:
1926: Birth of naturalist & broadcaster David Attenborough (Life on Earth & countless other documentaries)
1978: Peter Habeler & Reinhold Messner become the first to ascend Mt. Everest without use of supplemental oxygen
1984: Official opening of London’s Thames Barrier, flood barrier built to protect against storm surges

Today’s Word:
diminuendo /dəˌmin(y)əˈwendō/ (is variously a noun, adjective/adverb, and/or verb):
Musical term meaning a decrease in loudness, force, or intensity. Diminishing, as in a decrescendo.

Today Is:
World Red Cross Day
No Socks Day (it's flip-flop weather yay!)
-this week is-
National Etiquette Week

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:
-Rick Hanson

Old 05-08-2017, 08:12 AM

39,215 posts, read 23,193,674 times
Today’s Question:
have you switched seasonal clothing yet (put some garb away & dug other garments out) ? Yes, I've put away the warmer outerwear for now. But it got cold overnight so now I'm wearing a sweatshirt.

Extra Credit:
What, if anything, is under your bed-do you store anything there ? A couple pairs of shoes which are inside of a storage tub.
If you have a couch, is there room underneath (between the bottom and the floor) to stow/store anything (other than dustbunnies LOL) ? No.
Do you have a couch or chair roomy enough & comfy enough for you to fall asleep on/in ? Yes but it's not comfortable enough to sleep in for 8 hours.

Bonus:
Have you ever slept…
-on a train, plane, or bus ? Once on a bus.
-in a bed/mattress that was flat on the floor, without a bed frame/platform ? No.
-in a sleeping bag ? Yes.
-on a blanket on the ground, or atop a towel on the sand ? No.
-in a hammock ? No.
-in a bunk bed ? if so, did it have a ladder ? Yes and yes.

Just for Fun:
“bagged air”, packing peanuts/styrofoam, bubble wrap, or another kind of safety measure ? Yes.
If so, once your items were removed, what did you do with the left over shock-absorbing materials ? Most of time, it gets thrown out.

Have a marvelous Monday and a great week ahead!

Old 05-08-2017, 08:12 AM

4,054 posts, read 2,928,011 times
Today’s Question:
have you switched seasonal clothing yet (put some garb away & dug other garments out) ? No. I have a walk-in closet so no need to rearrange.

What, if anything, is under your bed-do you store anything there ? Nothing.
If you have a couch, is there room underneath (between the bottom and the floor) to stow/store anything (other than dustbunnies LOL) ? It's low, so nothing but dust bunnies.
Do you have a couch or chair roomy enough & comfy enough for you to fall asleep on/in ? I do and I have.

Have you ever slept… Yes to all below:
-in a sleeping bag ?

Just for Fun:
“bagged air”, packing peanuts/styrofoam, bubble wrap, or another kind of safety measure ? The last package I received had bagged air cushions.
If so, once your items were removed, what did you do with the left over shock-absorbing materials ? I keep them.

Thanks cloven and happy day everyone.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:23 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,881,108 times
[quote=cloven;48080966]Happy Monday May 8, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
Nope, it's been too cold. We are below average again for another week.
Extra Credit:
What, if anything, is under your bed-do you store anything there ? No.
If you have a couch, is there room underneath (between the bottom and the floor) to stow/store anything (other than dustbunnies LOL) ? No
I fall asleep there every night
Bonus:
Have you ever slept…
-on a train, plane, or bus ? Train and plane but never a bus.
-in a bed/mattress that was flat on the floor, without a bed frame/platform ? Yes
-in a sleeping bag ? Too hot.
-in a hammock ?
-in a bunk bed ? if so, did it have a ladder ? When I was a child and yes it had a ladder.

Just for Fun:
“bagged air”, packing peanuts/styrofoam, bubble wrap, or another kind of safety measure ? Yes.
If so, once your items were removed, what did you do with the left over shock-absorbing materials ? Garbage.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
World Red Cross Day
No Socks Day
-this week is-
National Etiquette Week

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:
-Rick Hanson

Thanks cloven dear one. No ice skating today

Old 05-08-2017, 10:55 AM

24,680 posts, read 26,251,912 times
Today’s Question:
Spring is relying to make up it's mind here, clothes have changed from winter to spring and now back to somewhere in be tween. Currently i'm in shorts and wearing a hoodie.

Extra Credit:
It's a platform bed with drawers underneath jammed packed with extra bedding and who knows what else.

Nope

Yep

Bonus:
Have you ever slept…
Planes and trains yes, no on the bus.

Yep

-in a sleeping bag ?
Yep

-in a hammock ?
No to these 2.

Yes and yes.

Just for Fun:
[b]Yeppers[b]

Peanuts get trashed, the rest gets recycled or repurposed.

Thanx Cloven, cool maze.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:59 PM
bjh

60,510 posts, read 30,643,962 times
Happy Monday May 8, everybody-and welcome to QOTD. Thx. I'm ready.

Today’s Question:
You might need a light jacket on spring days.
Haven't needed a heavy coat in a while and probably won't until deep autumn.

Extra Credit:
This and that and dust.

Just the dustbunnies.

Oh yes.

Bonus:
Have you ever slept…
-on a train, plane, or bus ? I've dozed on a plane. Maybe a bus.
-in a bed/mattress that was flat on the floor, without a bed frame/platform ? Nope.
-in a sleeping bag ? Yep, in a tent.
Relaxed, not slept.
-in a hammock ? Relaxed, not slept.
-in a bunk bed ? if so, did it have a ladder ? Yep, in the Navy. No ladder.

Just for Fun:
Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Re-used, or recycled, popped bubbles or ate peanuts. Just kidding, they're not edible.
They remind me of those orange "circus peanuts." Never cared for them either.

And you.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:34 PM

4,865 posts, read 3,692,621 times
have you switched seasonal clothing yet (put some garb away & dug other garments out) ? Yes a couple months ago.

Extra Credit:
What, if anything, is under your bed-do you store anything there ? dust bolls
If you have a couch, is there room underneath (between the bottom and the floor) to stow/store anything (other than dustbunnies LOL) ?nah
Do you have a couch or chair roomy enough & comfy enough for you to fall asleep on/in ? yes

Bonus:
Have you ever slept…
-on a train, plane, or bus ? yes
-in a bed/mattress that was flat on the floor, without a bed frame/platform ? yes
-in a sleeping bag ? yes
-on a blanket on the ground, or atop a towel on the sand ? yes
-in a hammock ? no
-in a bunk bed ? if so, did it have a ladder ? no

Just for Fun:
“bagged air”, packing peanuts/styrofoam, bubble wrap, or another kind of safety measure ? All of them today
If so, once your items were removed, what did you do with the left over shock-absorbing materials ? cut the bag air up and put peanuts in trash bag. Keep bubble wrap.

Today in History:
1984: Official opening of London’s Thames Barrier, flood barrier built to protect against storm surges[/b][/color]

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
World Red Cross Day
No Socks Day
-this week is-
National Etiquette Week

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:
-Rick Hanson

[/quote]

Old 05-08-2017, 10:20 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,421,154 times
Today’s Question:
Yes, put away the sweaters & sweatshirt, winter boots & jackets (and hats & gloves)-
but we've only had a mere few days warm enough to merit tank top or shorts.

Extra Credit:
There's less than a foot of clearance beneath bed.
I use the space to store a few small boxes & bins for
infrequently needed-and "extras" of-things.
The narrow space is just barely tall enough for me to store vacuum cleaner hose (detaches from rest of the machine) underneath,
without having to bunch or coil it up (and cram it into a cabinet). It's right there, easy to reach, when I set up the vacuum.

Couch, yes-chair, not quite.
That's bc. I tested many couches for size & comfort before buying this one-while the chair is item I inherited rather than selected.

Bonus:
Have you ever slept…
Not on a train, but on a plane & on a bus (not an in-town/city bus, but on a cross-country trip that took a few days)
Yes-had done so for many years, off & on
-in a sleeping bag ?
-in a hammock ?
Not sure, don't think so-but as a kid, I loved spending hours in hammock
No, N/A

Just for Fun:
Yep.
Rarely order items, so issue doesn't come up much.
Plastic air pillows seem easier to dispose of than styrofoam peanuts.
I tend to save bubble wrap, lest I ever find myself in need of it again.

Last edited by cloven; 05-08-2017 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: forgot to answer one of my own questions LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics