Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 06:44 AM

36,445 posts, read 16,052,777 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, May 7, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Taurus. Famous people who share your birthday include poets Robert Browning and Archibald MacLeish; composers Johannes Brahms and Pyotr ilyich Tchaikovsky; actors Gary Cooper and Darren McGavin; actress Anne Baxter; Argentine first lady Eva Peron; American football great Johnny Unitas; TV weatherman Willard Scott; TV journalist Tim Russert, I miss him and film director Amy Heckerling.

Today’s Questions:
What types of tasks come easily for you? Feeding the cat

What types of tasks are difficult for you? Most everything else, my back is acting up

Describe your idea of perfect relaxation? Laying on the beach!

What do your everyday dishes look like? Fiesta Ware, all colors

What is the oldest thing you own? My great grandmother's ring, engraved 1901

What is the newest thing you own? A new top
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 07:13 AM

5,909 posts, read 3,804,717 times
[quote=Bayarea4;48070828]Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, May 7, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Taurus. Famous people who share your birthday include poets Robert Browning and Archibald MacLeish; composers Johannes Brahms and Pyotr ilyich Tchaikovsky; actors Gary Cooper and Darren McGavin; actress Anne Baxter; Argentine first lady Eva Peron; American football great Johnny Unitas; TV weatherman Willard Scott; TV journalist Tim Russert and film director Amy Heckerling.

Today’s Questions:
What types of tasks come easily for you?
Anything to do with accounting/paperwork
What types of tasks are difficult for you?
Right now with my health issues it's pretty much anything physical
Describe your idea of perfect relaxation?
Sitting on the beach with an umbrella
What do your everyday dishes look like?
Well I have 4 place setting of large, very heavy yellow with flowers everyday set and other mismatched stuff, nothing matches around here
What is the oldest thing you own?
Probably a glass measuring cup that was my great-grandmother's
What is the newest thing you own?
I guess that would be the clothes and shoes I bought yesterday

Today in History
429 English siege of Orleans broken by Joan of Arc and the French army.
1664 – France’s Louis XIV inaugurates the palace at Versailles.
1700 – Pennsylvania founder William Penn begins meetings with blacks advocating emancipation.
1718 – City of New Orleans founded by Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville.
1789 – First U.S. presidential inaugural ball held for George Washington in New York City.
1800 – Indiana Territory organized.
1824 – Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony premieres in Vienna.
1866 – German premier Otto von Bismarck seriously wounded in an assassination attempt.
1888 – George Eastman perfects the Kodak box camera.
1895 - Russian scientist Alexander Stepanovich Popov demonstrates to the Russian Physical and Chemical Society in St. Petersburg his invention - the world's first radio receiver. Celebrated as Radio Day in Russia.
1912 - Columbia University approves plans for awarding the Pulitzer Prize in several categories, as provided for in the will of newspaper publisher Joseph Pulitzer.
1914 – U.S. Congress establishes Mother’s Day.
1915 - RMS Lusitania sunk by German submarine off the southern coast of Ireland; 1198 lives lost.
1939 Germany and Italy announce an alliance known as the Rome-Berlin Axis.
1941 – Glenn Miller records “Chattanooga Choo Choo” for RCA.
1945 World War II: Unconditional German surrender to the Allies signed by General Alfred Jodl at Rheims.
1946 - Tokyo Telecommunications Engineering (later renamed Sony) is founded. The company has about 20 employees.
1952 The concept of the integrated circuit, the basis for all modern computers, is first published by Geoffrey Dummer.
1994 – Edvard Munch’s painting “The Scream” is recovered three months after it was stolen.
1998 – Mercedes-Benz buys Chrysler Corporation for $40 billion USD and forms DaimlerChrysler in the largest corporate merger in history.
1982 – iBM releases PC-DOS Version 1.1.
2007 – The tomb of Herod the Great is discovered.
2012 – Paleoclimatological research claims that dinosaur flatulence may have warmed the earth.

Word of the Day:
eu·phe·mism
/ˈyo͞ofəˌmizəm/
noun

1. a mild or indirect word or expression substituted for one considered to be too harsh or blunt when referring to something unpleasant or embarrassing.

“In a system where banishment was called “transportation,” assignment was the euphemism for slave labor.”
- Timothy Egan, The Immoral Irishman

Quote of the Day:
“There is only one thing more painful than learning from experience and that is not learning from experience. “
- Archibald MacLeish

Today is:
Lemonade Day
Barrier Awareness Day
Infertility Survival Day
Packaging Design Day
Roast Leg of Lamb Day
Paste-Up Day

Thanks Bay!

Old 05-07-2017, 08:25 AM

4,854 posts, read 3,656,418 times
What types of tasks come easily for you? sunbathing

What types of tasks are difficult for you? cleaning house

Describe your idea of perfect relaxation? sunbathing/swimming

What do your everyday dishes look like? Villeroy & Boch Garden (only dishes I use)

What is the oldest thing you own? A needlepoint pillow I made at 16

What is the newest thing you own? sweater from Chicos

Today in History
1700 – Pennsylvania founder William Penn begins meetings with blacks advocating emancipation.
1789 – First U.S. presidential inaugural ball held for George Washington in New York City.
1866 – German premier Otto von Bismarck seriously wounded in an assassination attempt.
1895 - Russian scientist Alexander Stepanovich Popov demonstrates to the Russian Physical and Chemical Society in St. Petersburg his invention - the world's first radio receiver. Celebrated as Radio Day in Russia.
1912 - Columbia University approves plans for awarding the Pulitzer Prize in several categories, as provided for in the will of newspaper publisher Joseph Pulitzer.
1915 - RMS Lusitania sunk by German submarine off the southern coast of Ireland; 1198 lives lost.
1945 World War II: Unconditional German surrender to the Allies signed by General Alfred Jodl at Rheims.
1946 - Tokyo Telecommunications Engineering (later renamed Sony) is founded. The company has about 20 employees.
1952 The concept of the integrated circuit, the basis for all modern computers, is first published by Geoffrey Dummer.
1994 – Edvard Munch’s painting “The Scream” is recovered three months after it was stolen.
1998 – Mercedes-Benz buys Chrysler Corporation for $40 billion USD and forms DaimlerChrysler in the largest corporate merger in history.
2012 – Paleoclimatological research claims that dinosaur flatulence may have warmed the earth.

Word of the Day:
eu·phe·mism
/ˈyo͞ofəˌmizəm/
noun

1. a mild or indirect word or expression substituted for one considered to be too harsh or blunt when referring to something unpleasant or embarrassing.

“In a system where banishment was called “transportation,” assignment was the euphemism for slave labor.”

Quote of the Day:
“There is only one thing more painful than learning from experience and that is not learning from experience. “
- Archibald MacLeish

Today is:
Lemonade Day
Barrier Awareness Day
Infertility Survival Day
Packaging Design Day
Roast Leg of Lamb Day
Paste-Up Day[/quote]

Old 05-07-2017, 11:04 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,815,133 times
[quote=Bayarea4;48070828]Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, May 7, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Taurus. Famous people who share your birthday include poets Robert Browning and Archibald MacLeish; composers Johannes Brahms and Pyotr ilyich Tchaikovsky; actors Gary Cooper and Darren McGavin; actress Anne Baxter; Argentine first lady Eva Peron; American football great Johnny Unitas; TV weatherman Willard Scott; TV journalist Tim Russert and film director Amy Heckerling.

Today’s Questions:
Deciding to sell all the pavers instead of doing the patio. They all went this morning.
I dug and dug and dug for two hours yesterday and decided that I really didn't want to do the patio. John is hurt from a skating fall and can't help me. It's a brutally hard job.
Watching a movie on the home theater.
They're just white with a fruit pattern.
A clock from the 1870's. It works too.

Some tops I bought two weeks ago.

Today in History

Word of the Day:
eu·phe·mism
/ˈyo͞ofəˌmizəm/
noun

Quote of the Day:
- Archibald MacLeish

Today is:
Lemonade Day
Barrier Awareness Day
Infertility Survival Day
Packaging Design Day
Roast Leg of Lamb Day
Paste-Up Day

Thanks bay dear one. It was a busy morning. We helped load over 300 pavers and someone came for the flagstone at the same time. There was around 60 of those I helped load. Then I filled in the hole I started to dig yesterday. On to plan B. I don't know what that is yet.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:32 AM

16,687 posts, read 17,460,264 times
Bonjour a tous. Bonjour Shep.

What types of tasks come easily for you? Fewer and fewer as time moves on!

What types of tasks are difficult for you? More and more as time moves on!

Describe your idea of perfect relaxation? Sitting out the back or on the top verandah drinking a coffee and admiring the view.

What do your everyday dishes look like? Haven't settled into a pattern out here as yet.

What is the oldest thing you own? A book or two which are over a hundred years old, I guess.

What is the newest thing you own? In terms of recently bought, then our new home in France, where I now am. Signed for it just over two weeks ago. Also bought 101 things at the DIY stores in the last two weeks and we're hard at work doing the place up.

Off for a meal of slow cooked pork on a bed of vegetables. Yum.

Thanks Shep. I might stick my head in once or twice- unpacked the computer yesterday and the internet, which recently got set up, seems good.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:23 PM

24,512 posts, read 26,056,201 times
Today’s Questions:
Taking the trash out and bringing the carts in after trash day. Pick up the mail. Ordering stuff on the net.

Sadly, most things that require alot of physical activity.

Comfy chair on the patio, warm day with the iPad and a toddy close by.

White with a southwestern pattern on the rim.

Think some books from the early 1900's.

Compression socks

Thanx BayArea4.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:35 PM

9,734 posts, read 14,288,755 times
Today’s Questions:
Measuring a house (work related)....My Disto laser measurer is a great help. I've been doing this since 1987 and would be lost with out that tool! I can measure behind bushes on the exterior, from rain gutter to rain gutter, and nooks and crannies, inside, in any complicated floor plan, to arrive at sq.ft.living area of any size house.

What types of tasks are difficult for you? assembling anything in a box that says "parts included"

Describe your idea of perfect relaxation? A glass of wine and seafood snacks on JP's on the Wharf, a local place on the Delaware Bay. The fishing boats dock around 4:30 p.m. and they unload their catches. We can even pick out our fish and have the kitchen cook it to order. I'm a simple person.

What do your everyday dishes look like? Pure white, plain glass....Lilian Vernon

What is the oldest thing you own? Probably a desk my father made, out of his grandmother's dining room table.

What is the newest thing you own? reams of paper for work

Thanks, Bay! Hope everyone is having a great day!

Old 05-07-2017, 03:25 PM

126,307 posts, read 19,093,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, May 7, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Taurus. Famous people who share your birthday include poets Robert Browning and Archibald MacLeish; composers Johannes Brahms and Pyotr ilyich Tchaikovsky; actors Gary Cooper and Darren McGavin; actress Anne Baxter; Argentine first lady Eva Peron; American football great Johnny Unitas; TV weatherman Willard Scott; TV journalist Tim Russert and film director Amy Heckerling.

Today’s Questions:
What types of tasks come easily for you?..Any household work including cookng and baking and organizing parties,planning trips.....

What types of tasks are difficult for you?....Assembling things ..

Describe your idea of perfect relaxation?...Reading a good book, playing music,gardening or spending time hiking and enjoy Nature

What do your everyday dishes look like?.. white with a floral trim

What is the oldest thing you own?.....A over 155 year old gold trimmed plate

What is the newest thing you own?...A brand new hairbrush I bought

Today in History

Word of the Day:
eu·phe·mism
/ˈyo͞ofəˌmizəm/
noun

Quote of the Day:
- Archibald MacLeish

Today is:
Lemonade Day
Barrier Awareness Day
Infertility Survival Day
Packaging Design Day
Roast Leg of Lamb Day
Paste-Up Day
THANK YOU Bayarea and a lovely evening to you all

Old 05-07-2017, 08:08 PM

44,378 posts, read 20,097,476 times
Today’s Questions:
What types of tasks come easily for you? Cooking; gardening.

What types of tasks are difficult for you? Housecleaning, because I hate doing most of it.

Describe your idea of perfect relaxation? Curling up on the sofa on a cold winter day and watching a movie while sipping hot cocoa; followed by reading a book. (I've never spent a day like that, but it sounds heavenly to me.)

What do your everyday dishes look like? They are white Mikasa ceramic dishes with a pretty scalloped edge.

What is the oldest thing you own? A small table with a drawer in my living room. I use it for an end table and have a lamp on it. An appraiser told me it was built in the 1790s.

What is the newest thing you own? A purse that I bought while on vacation a few weeks ago.

Word of the Day:
eu·phe·mism
/ˈyo͞ofəˌmizəm/
noun
1. a mild or indirect word or expression substituted for one considered to be too harsh or blunt when referring to something unpleasant or embarrassing. I knew that!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:51 PM

21,572 posts, read 8,747,707 times
Today’s Questions:
Spelling, writing, organizing things.
Doing math in my head, giving directions, logic puzzles
Lying in a hammock on a tropical beach sipping a Mai Tai and listening to the sound of the surf.
Mikasa French Countryside. They are white with scalloped edges. If you have seen the movie Hannah and Her Sisters, they use that pattern at the Thanksgiving dinner.
A round occasional table that my mother said was hand-made by our Massachusetts ancestors, who lived on Martha's Vineyard, and shipped around the Horn when they moved west. I don't know its exact age or what wood it is made from, but I would guess it dates back to sometime in the mid 19th century or earlier.
An OXO Grate and Slice Set (which I've cut myself with twice already - those blades are sharp!)

Thanks, everyone, for your interesting answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics