Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:10 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,624,039 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

I hope all is well with everyone, and that you are ready to tackle your day, or hit the sack, depending on what part of the globe you're on. So grab your favorite Question beverage, relax for a bit, and settle in for a few moments with today's Questions.

Today's Question(s):
What weather conditions are common where you live? What extreme weather conditions have you experienced anywhere?

Bonus Question(s):
Do you live near a college, university, or tech school? If so, what are their specialties?

Just For Fun:
Do you have the following small kitchen appliances:
toaster oven?
wok?
bread maker?
juicer?
counter top electric mixer?
food processor?
personal, "bullet"-type blender?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Bullet_(appliance)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUbpVtcwiTM
other?

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1906 1st motion pictures shown in Hawaii
Birthday: 1564 William Shakespeare, English poet, playwright, and actor (d. May 03, 1616)
Science: 1514 Copernicus makes his 1st observations of Saturn
Sports: 1941 A tradition begins, 1st organ at a baseball stadium for the Chicago Cubs

Today’s Word:
dalmatic
Pronunciation: (dal-MAT-ik)
Meaning: noun:
A loose, wide-sleeved outer garment worn by some monarchs at their coronations and by deacons, bishops, etc. in some churches.
Etymology: From Old French dalmatique, from Latin dalmatica vestis (Dalmatian garment) since these garments were originally made of Dalmatian wool. Dalmatia is a region along the Adriatic coast of Croatia. That’s also where Dalmatian dogs got their name from.
Earliest documented use: 1425.

Quote of the Day:
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool." ~ William Shakespeare ~
Thanx for playing everyone! Have a good day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 11:16 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,251,106 times
Mornin' all!

I hope all is well with everyone, and that you are ready to tackle your day, or hit the sack, depending on what part of the globe you're on. So grab your favorite Question beverage, relax for a bit, and settle in for a few moments with today's Questions.

Today's Question(s):
What weather conditions are common where you live? What extreme weather conditions have you experienced anywhere?
Heat and dry weather. I have experienced some flooding many years ago.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you live near a college, university, or tech school? If so, what are their specialties?
All types...

Just For Fun:
toaster oven?
wok? Not sure if we still have one or not.
bread maker?
juicer?
food processor?
We have every kitchen gadget known to man.

other?

Today in History:
Birthday: 1564 William Shakespeare, English poet, playwright, and actor (d. May 03, 1616)
Sports: 1941 A tradition begins, 1st organ at a baseball stadium for the Chicago Cubs

Today’s Word:
dalmatic
A loose, wide-sleeved outer garment worn by some monarchs at their coronations and by deacons, bishops, etc. in some churches.
Etymology: From Old French dalmatique, from Latin dalmatica vestis (Dalmatian garment) since these garments were originally made of Dalmatian wool. Dalmatia is a region along the Adriatic coast of Croatia. That’s also where Dalmatian dogs got their name from.

Quote of the Day:
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool." ~ William Shakespeare ~
Thanks PatsCats! Nice job!

Old 04-25-2017, 11:48 PM
bjh

60,527 posts, read 30,675,516 times
Mornin' all! Mornin'

I hope all is well with everyone, and that you are ready to tackle your day, or hit the sack,
depending on what
part of the globe you're on. So grab your favorite Question beverage,
relax for a bit, and settle in for a few
moments with today's Questions.
Okay.

Today's Question(s):
What weather conditions are common where you live?
Depends on the season, right? Typical seasonal weather.
What extreme weather conditions have you experienced anywhere?
In various places snow, sleet, heavy rain, hail, gusty winds. Luckily not anything disastrous.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you live near a college, university, or tech school?
Meh.
If so, what are their specialties?

Same as other colleges as far as I know.

Just For Fun:
toaster oven?
wok? Wouldn't mind having.
bread maker? We call it the oven.
juicer? Leads to food waste.
food processor?
other? Toaster, coffee maker, microwave

Quote of the Day:
Yep. More a wise man knows, the more he knows he doesn't know.

Thanx for playing everyone!
No prob.
Have a good day!

You too!

Old 04-26-2017, 12:55 AM

8,009 posts, read 5,461,763 times
Good Morning

What weather conditions are common where you live? What extreme weather conditions have you experienced anywhere? We get a variety of weather--nothing extreme. One year we had back to back blizzards in a weeks time--was rather comical to where to put all the snow. Sometimes we get torrential rain/strong winds from the remains of a Hurricane ---we are four hours from the Ocean.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you live near a college, university, or tech school? If so, what are their specialties? We have many within a 30 mile radius.

Just For Fun:
toaster oven?
wok?
bread maker?
juicer?
food processor?

Have a wacky Wednesday!

Old 04-26-2017, 01:06 AM

21,740 posts, read 8,880,895 times
Today's Question(s):
We get a lot of fog here, especially in the summer. Visitors are surprised when they find themselves shivering in shorts and t-shirts in 65º July weather.

The most extreme weather I ever experienced wasn't that extreme by many people's standards. I got snowed in once at Lake Tahoe. It snowed nonstop for four days. Also, I've been in 110ª Las Vegas desert heat, like walking around inside a clothes dryer.

Bonus Question(s):
Yes, I live near a medical school and a state university. The medical school is known for having a fine research hospital. The university is known for its highly-regarded Broadcasting Arts department.

Just For Fun:
toaster oven? No
wok? No
bread maker? No
juicer? No, only the manual type.
counter top electric mixer? Yes
food processor? Only a mini one.
personal, "bullet"-type blender? No, only shaker jars.

other? Spice grinder, stick blender.

Thanks, PatsCats!

Old 04-26-2017, 03:04 AM

11,450 posts, read 9,405,182 times
I've experienced a few blizzards and many snow storms. It's not too bad though. This year we hardly had any snow at all. Average per winter season here is about 14 inches.

We get ice storms sometimes including a series of them in the mid-1990s when we were without power for 4 days.
Back to back blizzards in February 2010 caused us to lose power for 2 full days.

Seldom get hurricanes here but I remember driving through Ivan in 2004. Weakened by the time it reached us but it was still powerful.
Sometimes the fog can be bad.
The heat index can get over 100 degrees (37 C) here. Experienced that or somewhat close around 5-10 times per year. Too hot for me...

I live about 3 miles from the University Of Maryland. I go to the dairy store which is on campus sometimes to get their homemade ice cream. Location is in the basement of the Stamp Student Union Building.
FWIW - very limited summer hours.

I own nothing from the appliance list.

Thanks, PatsCats.

Hope everyone has a good Wednesday!

Old 04-26-2017, 04:55 AM

126,540 posts, read 19,292,982 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
What weather conditions are common where you live? Either very hot and humid or very cold and icy accompanied always with windsWhat extreme weather conditions have you experienced anywhere? Throughout the years here in Canada I have experienced heatwaves,ice storm 1998 from eastern Ontario to southern Quebec and a few snowstorms

Bonus Question(s):
None close by

Just For Fun:
toaster oven? Yes
wok? No
bread maker? No,always use my hands when kneading bread
juicer? No
counter top electric mixer? No
food processor? Yes
personal, "bullet"-type blender? Yes

other?

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
dalmatic

Quote of the Day:

Thank you PatsCats

Old 04-26-2017, 05:18 AM

37,870 posts, read 41,287,644 times
Today's Question(s):
What weather conditions are common where you live?

Rain. My town averages 52.546 inches of rain per year. The national average is 39.2. Keep telling those sun shining Floridians who are thinking of moving here to stop asking about snow and start asking about rain.

What extreme weather conditions have you experienced anywhere? Hurricanes, blizzards that's about it, thank god.

Bonus Question(s):

Depends on the definition of "near."

We have a university consortium in town that partners with the national lab in town and brings together university faculty and students to collaborate on major scientific initiatives that "help keep America on the leading edge of science and technology." (that's how they describe themselves) I live in a science/engineering type town - national lab, nukes facility, science museum, Dept. of Energy and a whole bunch of contractors related to the above....

Around the corner from me is a state community college but it is not the college's main campus. Its specialty may be health sciences. They house my retiree program and my camera club meets there.

There is another state community college that is 9 miles away that specializes in applied technology degrees.

The University of Tennessee Knoxville is 24 miles from where I live. I think they specialize in football and women's basketball. But seriously, architecture and design, nuclear engineering, medicine...then there's the Body Farm.

Just For Fun:
toaster oven?
wok?
bread maker?
juicer?
food processor?

None of the above.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:39 AM

7,448 posts, read 5,553,817 times
What weather conditions are common where you live? What extreme weather conditions have you experienced anywhere? we have it all. Cold, warm, hot, humid, tornados, flooding, snow, rain. The good ole Midwest.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you live near a college, university, or tech school? If so, what are their specialties? no, we have a community college.

Just For Fun:
toaster oven?
wok?
bread maker?
juicer?
food processor?
other? microwave

Old 04-26-2017, 05:45 AM

36,579 posts, read 16,165,576 times
Today's Question(s):
What weather conditions are common where you live? What extreme weather conditions have you experienced anywhere? Thunderstorms are very common during the spring/summer

Bonus Question(s):
About 11 miles from a Community College. We have many major Universities here in NC. I have no idea what their specialties are

Just For Fun:
toaster oven?
wok?
bread maker?
juicer?
food processor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics