Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 04:56 AM

221 posts, read 602,213 times

Advertisements

Yesterday my boss contacted me wanting to know if I was offered a position as Account Manager with an all-expense paid move to Houston, would I be interested. This position would almost triple my annual income. I just don't know what to do. This is the chance of a lifetime to make the income I have always wanted to make. The problem is this. The 1/2 acre and home we are in are paid for...no payments at all. I currently work from home, but the new position would require me to work in the corporate office in Houston. Houston is approximately 260 miles from where we are living now. My husband could get a transfer easily enough with the company he works for. I know I am capable of doing the job, but the thought of pulling up roots and making this career decision/move at 49-years-old is terrifying to me. When I was younger and renting it would not have been a decision to even think about tossing around...it would have been an immediate "when do you want me there" type response. Why is this so scary to me? I wish I could just see into the future and see what the best decision for me would be. My son said, "Mom, this is a no brainer...almost triple your current income???" I just don't know what the answer is. I hope some of you can give me some other things to think about. I sure do like the idea of making the kind of money I've always wanted to make and be secure in retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 05:09 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,229,574 times
congratulations on a terrific offer kittytoes!!!!!

I am not sure if I am the best one to answer your question since I have moved 23 times and last year we were considering a transfer with hubbys job( i was also 49)

The way I see it is your in a great situation having your current home debt free so worrying about trying to sell that is not an issue (can you rent it or even have you son live there so it won't be empty?)

If you make a pro /con list just with the items you have mentioned the only "con" I see is the relocating and IMO 260 miles is not that far.

This could be a terrific adventure !!!
You could rent in the new area for the first year while you get settled
Just remember to make sure the company "grosses up" the moving expenses so your not slammed next year tax wise.

I would quietly find out that should you not like the new job/location would you both be able to go back to the old positions.

If we would be offered the same thing rofl my bags would be packed !!!!!

p.s. think of all of the new contacts you will be making working at "corporate"

Old 03-07-2008, 05:10 AM

4,620 posts, read 15,067,923 times
Goodness kittytoes2006! You certainly have a lot to think about! I can't believe I'm going to say this, but the money isn't the most important factor. Certainly, tripling your salary creates a wow factor, but it also sounds like a major change in lifestyle as well. Perhaps eliminate the salary while thinking about the new job and see if the move is still appealing?

Old 03-07-2008, 06:17 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,042,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittytoes2006 View Post
Yesterday my boss contacted me wanting to know if I was offered a position as Account Manager with an all-expense paid move to Houston, would I be interested. This position would almost triple my annual income. I just don't know what to do.
If this is something you have always dreamed about, I think you should do it. You aren't that old yet. I say, live your dream. If you don't do it, you'll always wonder if you should have. Your relo package probably also has provisions for the sales expense of selling your home.

I did the same thing when I was in my 50's. I never regretted it. I am not in corporate world anymore, but it was a great ride, and the increase in salary did a lot for me both mentally, and financially. Just be smart about not living lavishly, that way, if you change your mind about it, you'll be set for your next adventure.

Good luck and congrats.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:38 AM

28,804 posts, read 47,949,325 times
Being very close to retirement and looking back with 20/20 I can tell you that, had that offer been made to me, I would be moving so fast you wouldn't believe it!

We passed up a similar deal for my wife. Not so much more money, but a much, much better location. If we had moved then we would be in our retirement city already and the move would have been free.

Similar circumstances: We love where we live (except for winter), we own outright, almost no debt, not an acre and a half, though.

Don't answer this, just think about it: How secure is your retirement? How about children? Any college age coming up? Do you like to travel and wish you could afford to do it more? I know money isn't everything, and it doesn't buy happiness, but it sure can make things easier. Hunker down for a few years, save as much as possible, and live large when you retire! Maybe even retire younger than planned. That would be cool.

If possible rent your current home. Let it pay for your new digs and when the time comes perhaps move back. If the new job doesn't workout you still have it to return to.

Tough to be certain without knowing you and yours better, but I'd go for it.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:45 AM

2,885 posts, read 2,002,735 times
I agree money isn't everything except in this case. Ordinarily, money wouldn't be my first consideration. But, hey, you're still going to be in Texas. Your son is all for it, so you don't have to worry about any trepidation on his part about uprooting (assuming he is still living at home). I say in this case definitely go for it! I can't see any negatives involved. It's natural for you to be apprehensive, taken aback suddenly. But you will adjust very well and quicker than you think. Good luck!

Old 03-07-2008, 10:40 AM

221 posts, read 602,213 times
Default Follow-up

Oh my goodness, I sure do appreciate the feedback so far. I did want to add a couple of things here to my original post. A couple of you have expressed concern over my child(ren) that might still be at home. My son is 30 and is married and already has a home of his own, so college and uprooting him would not be a concern, however, being further from him would be sad for me. He would come to see me (no doubt about it) and I might even see him more once I am further away than I do now. When I see him now it's usually just for a little while at a time and then he's off again.

The next thing I wanted to mention is, this new proposed promotion for me would include 100% paid insurance. It would be including my husband as well. I just received a call from my boss and they are sending me everything in writing to go over, ask questions from, etc. The moving expense they are allowing me is $5000. She said this is up front for me to use however I wish..if I want to move myself that's fine, if I want to hire movers, that's fine. They are paying $5000 flat for me relocating. They would also pay $1000 plus 5 days paid leave to go to Houston to look for a place to live, etc. Whew...I know some of you think this is no big deal, but this is the hardest decision I have ever had to make in my life. It really and truly is. I want to live in the country. Once you've lived in the country most people never want to move back to the city. It's finding a place that is to my taste that would be close enough in to commute and not waste a lot of money in gas getting there. With gas prices being what they are nowadays especially. I do appreciate each and every persons feedback on my dilemma here. I really really do!!!

Old 03-07-2008, 12:56 PM

2,885 posts, read 2,002,735 times
With the money you will be making, you can move to the country at anytime - say in 2 years or more. You are in a position now to call the shots. Take advantage of it.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:36 PM

28,804 posts, read 47,949,325 times
Check on Park-and-Ride. Does Houston have a train system like Chicago? You drive to a station and ride the train into and out of town. While driving/riding in Chi Town on the freeway I've watched those trains go whizzing past.

This means the trip from the country to Houston might be easier than you think.... and you won't be spending a ton on gas, and if you move outside of Houston in the same direction your son lives he'll probably be 30-40 miles closer.

Might as well get the best of both worlds.

BTW, I'm not in Chicago, but go there for vacation often. We have Park-and-Ride here that starts out in the boonies next to the Interstate, so a train isn't really necessary, buses will do.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:14 PM

31,304 posts, read 33,035,938 times
Corporate office work isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be. You might get into an office environment with more stress then you’d care to deal with. I’d say visit the office location and the city, see what it’s all about, and meet your coworkers first. It would be very hard going from a work at home to a workstation or office in a corporate office building.

Also check into the possible working of 4 – 10 hour days. You might be able to commute and have longer weekends and remain at home.

Sometimes the extra income is lost with the additional expenses in a new job. One factor is clothing. You can work at home in whatever you want with little cash outlay, but in a corporate office you’ll be maintaining a new wardrobe that will eat up some of the extra paycheck. The cost of living in Huston might be another factor that will again take a big part of any increase in wages.

Best of luck on your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics