Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 12:22 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,385,570 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday December 26, everybody-and welcome to QOTD (for the final Monday of 2016).

Today’s Question:
Do you re-use wrapping paper, ribbon, or decorative containers (from gifts you've received) ?

Extra Credit:
If you call a phone number and the person doesn’t answer, do you leave a message ?
If so, is that via text msg, voicemail/answering machine, typing in a callback number, or another option ?

Bonus:
Have you ever had frostbite ?
Do your window panes get frost on them in winter ?
Do you ever put a mug or glass in fridge/freezer to chill, before filling it with a cold drink ?
Do you ever warm plates in the oven (at low temp. of course) before serving a hot meal on them ?

Just for Fun:
At home, while cooking/eating, have you…
-gotten hair in your food ?
-gotten food in your hair ?

Today in History:
1898: Marie and Pierre Curie announce their discovery of the element radium
1930: Birth of actor Donald Moffat (“The Thing”, Tales of the City)
1956: Birth of author & humorist David Sedaris (Holidays on Ice)
1961: Birth of actor John Lynch (“Sliding Doors”)
1986: Birth of actor Christopher Catesby “Kit” Harington (Game of Thrones)
1991: Birth of actress Eden Sher (The Middle)
1999: Windstorm Lothar hits western Europe, inflicting fatalities & decimating infrastructure

Today’s Word:
pomander /pōˈmandər,ˈpōˌmandər/ (n.): An aromatic/fragrant perforated sphere holding dried spices, herbs, flowers.
Example: an orange poked full of cloves.

Today Is:
National Thank-you Note Day
National Candy Cane Day
Boxing Day (UK)
(first day of) Kwanzaa

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at top right corner-

Thought for the Day:
“No choice recurs. We may get similar choices again, but never that exact one. Hesitation-inaction-is just as irrevocable as action.”
-Brian Christian and Tom Griffiths

Wishing you an expedient and expeditious conclusion to the year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 12:23 AM

44,664 posts, read 61,759,412 times
Happy Monday December 26, everybody-and welcome to QOTD (for the final Monday of 2016).

Today’s Question:
Do you re-use wrapping paper, ribbon, or decorative containers (from gifts you've received) ? Spouse does.

Extra Credit:
If you call a phone number and the person doesn’t answer, do you leave a message ? Depends.
If so, is that via text msg, voicemail/answering machine, typing in a callback number, or another option ? Answering machine.

Bonus:
Have you ever had frostbite ? Nope.
Do your window panes get frost on them in winter ? Nope.
Do you ever put a mug or glass in fridge/freezer to chill, before filling it with a cold drink ? Have.
Do you ever warm plates in the oven (at low temp. of course) before serving a hot meal on them ? Nope.

Just for Fun:
-gotten hair in your food ? Have.
-gotten food in your hair ? Nope.

Happy last Monday of the year Cloven.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:42 AM

3,089 posts, read 1,692,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post

Today’s Question:
Do you re-use wrapping paper, ribbon, or decorative containers (from gifts you've received) ? Wrapping paper only once in a great while. Ribbon, no. Containers, yet.

Extra Credit:
If you call a phone number and the person doesn’t answer, do you leave a message ? I usually leave a msg.
If so, is that via text msg, voicemail/answering machine, typing in a callback number, or another option ?

Bonus:
Have you ever had frostbite ? Nope.
Do your window panes get frost on them in winter ? Occasionally.
Do you ever put a mug or glass in fridge/freezer to chill, before filling it with a cold drink ? Nah.
Do you ever warm plates in the oven (at low temp. of course) before serving a hot meal on them ? Nope.

Just for Fun:
-gotten hair in your food ? Yes, sorry to admit.
-gotten food in your hair ? That, too, I'm afraid.

Thank you, Cloven.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:52 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,949,821 times

Today’s Question:
Do you re-use wrapping paper, ribbon, or decorative containers (from gifts you've received) ?

Extra Credit:
If you call a phone number and the person doesn’t answer, do you leave a message ? Sometimes

Bonus:
Do you ever put a mug or glass in fridge/freezer to chill, before filling it with a cold drink ?
Do you ever warm plates in the oven (at low temp. of course) before serving a hot meal on them ?

Just for Fun:

Today in History:
1999: Windstorm Lothar hits western Europe, inflicting fatalities & decimating infrastructure

Today’s Word:
pomander /pōˈmandər,ˈpōˌmandər/ (n.): An aromatic/fragrant perforated sphere holding dried spices, herbs, flowers.

Today Is:
National Candy Cane Day
Boxing Day (UK)
(first day of) Kwanzaa

Thought for the Day:
“No choice recurs. We may get similar choices again, but never that exact one. Hesitation-inaction-is just as irrevocable as action.”

Thanks Cloven! Nice job!

Old 12-26-2016, 12:59 AM

21,594 posts, read 8,762,243 times

Today’s Question:
Do you re-use wrapping paper, ribbon, or decorative containers (from gifts you've received)?
Yes, I save containers, stick-on bows, gift boxes and tags to reuse, but wrapping paper usually isn't in good enough shape so I will put it in the recycle bin.
Extra Credit:
If you call a phone number and the person doesn’t answer, do you leave a message?
Yes, it's the courteous thing to do.
I normally leave a voice message.
Bonus:
Have you ever had frostbite?
No
Do your window panes get frost on them in winter?
No, it doesn't get that cold here.
Do you ever put a mug or glass in fridge/freezer to chill, before filling it with a cold drink?
Yes, especially if it's a beverage that needs to be well-chilled, like Champagne.
Do you ever warm plates in the oven (at low temp. of course) before serving a hot meal on them?
Yes, I do that almost every day.

Just for Fun:
-gotten hair in your food?
-gotten food in your hair?
Both! When I do Christmas baking, I wear a lacy cap (the type that women used to wear to cover their hair rollers) to prevent any stray hairs from escaping and going where they shouldn't.

Thanks, cloven, and thanks for the festive maze! It reminds me of confetti on New Year's Eve.

Old 12-26-2016, 01:00 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,717,936 times

Today’s Question:
Do you re-use wrapping paper, ribbon, or decorative containers (from gifts you've received) ? Sometimes decorative containers.

Extra Credit:
If you call a phone number and the person doesn’t answer, do you leave a message ? Sometimes.
If so, is that via text msg, voicemail/answering machine, typing in a callback number, or another option ? Voicemail/Answering machine.

Bonus:
Have you ever had frostbite ? No.
Do your window panes get frost on them in winter ? Once in a while.
Do you ever put a mug or glass in fridge/freezer to chill, before filling it with a cold drink ? No.
Do you ever warm plates in the oven (at low temp. of course) before serving a hot meal on them ? Not lately.

Just for Fun:
-gotten hair in your food ? No.
-gotten food in your hair ? No.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
National Candy Cane Day
Boxing Day (UK)
(first day of) Kwanzaa

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at top right corner-[

Thought for the Day:

Wishing you an expedient and expeditious conclusion to the year [/quote]

Thanks, cloven.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:20 AM

11,392 posts, read 9,314,596 times
Today’s Question:
- I never heard of anyone doing this.

Come to think of it I do not remember the last time I unwrapped or wrapped anything for that matter. It's probably been 30+ years...

Extra Credit:
If you call a phone number and the person doesn’t answer, do you leave a message ?
- Always.

Only voice message or answering machine. I don't text, nor do I have the means to do so.
I only have landline service.

Bonus:
- I do not remember, probably not.

Do your window panes get frost on them in winter ? - No

Do you ever put a mug or glass in fridge/freezer to chill, before filling it with a cold drink ? - Decades ago...

Do you ever warm plates in the oven (at low temp. of course) before serving a hot meal on them ? - Never did that.

Just for Fun:
- No to both.

Thanks, cloven.
Happy Monday to all!

Old 12-26-2016, 03:16 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,894,402 times

No I just rip it off my package.... I dont know if my mum re-uses it or not......

Extra Credit:

I usually leave a message OR just logon to AIM and send an AIMTEXT

Bonus:

Yes indeed

Not really no

No..

Nopers.........

Just for Fun:

YEP

Sure have... (1 or 2 times maybe)

Old 12-26-2016, 04:52 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,231,189 times
[quote=cloven;46618958]Happy Monday December 26, everybody-and welcome to QOTD (for the final Monday of 2016).

Today’s Question:
Do you re-use wrapping paper, ribbon, or decorative containers (from gifts you've received) ? Never did, my mother used save the stuff and use it but this was WW II and right after.

Extra Credit:

Always if it is a call to an individual, rarely if it is a largish business. (I never return a call if the person hasn't left a message.)

Voice mail

Bonus:
Have you ever had frostbite ? Once, nasty
Do your window panes get frost on them in winter ? Never gets that cold here.
Do you ever put a mug or glass in fridge/freezer to chill, before filling it with a cold drink ? I have, but I don't usually.
Do you ever warm plates in the oven (at low temp. of course) before serving a hot meal on them ? No

Just for Fun:
At home, while cooking/eating, have you… In order for either of these to happen I would have to be cooking with my shirt off, and having spattered myself with hot grease a few times I don't even do that in the summer now.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

We used to make those...apple too, I think. Man, it takes a lot of cloves and you end up with sore fingers! Why didn't we ever use kumquats I wonder, would have saved a lot of cloves and a lot of time. My step-grandmother, Marietta, was born in 1879 and was the daughter and granddaughter of Cornish Bible Christian missionaries. He was often paid in kind, so the family knew how to do for themselves and stretch things. And even in the 1950s and 60s she remembered all these old fashion things and made them and used them. He little home was rather old fashion throughout.

Her four stepdaughters were a bit patronizing about her. But her preacher father had been no fool, and he insisted that each of his daughters receive an education that would allow them to support themselves, though it was the Victorian era he believed that it was foolish for young women to sit in the parlor and wait for suitors to come calling. Marietta learned to be a bookkeeper, and in mid-life had become an account for a business. Much to the great shock of her stepdaughters they discovered she was no chucklehead after she died about 1965. Marietta had quietly accumulated enough money investing, starting with a very small amount, to leave a decent-sized bequest to each of her four stepdaughters, her four step-grandchildren and to two nephews back in Canada as well; plus a cash gift to her church and she had already made the arrangements for her embalming and having her body shipped back north to be buried in Canada with the rest of her family.

Maybe inhaling clove oranges all those years kept her sharp. She used to birth lambs too.

Today Is:
National Candy Cane Day
Boxing Day (UK)
(first day of) Kwanzaa

Thought for the Day:

Super observation!

Thank you, and I need to expedite a trip to the market or dinner will be thin gruel.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:31 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,589,405 times
Today’s Question:
Do you re-use wrapping paper, ribbon, or decorative containers (from gifts you've received) ? Nope. That was my mother's big thing. lol

Extra Credit:
If you call a phone number and the person doesn’t answer, do you leave a message ? Depends on who it is
If so, is that via text msg, voicemail/answering machine, typing in a callback number, or another option ? Voicemail

Bonus:
Have you ever had frostbite ? Nope
Do your window panes get frost on them in winter ? A couple of them
Do you ever put a mug or glass in fridge/freezer to chill, before filling it with a cold drink ? Love doing it!!
Do you ever warm plates in the oven (at low temp. of course) before serving a hot meal on them ? Nope

Just for Fun:
-gotten hair in your food ? Nope
-gotten food in your hair ? Nope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics