Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 11:11 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,394,584 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday December 5, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
If you wear jeans/denim, how long does it take until they feel “worn in”, more comfortable ?
How long does it take to break in, get used to, a new pair of shoes or boots ?
Have you gotten rid of something “worn out” or broken lately ?
Have you replaced the laces on a pair of sneakers or boots ?
Have you ever worn colorful (other than tan, black, white, etc.) and/or patterned shoelaces ?

Extra Credit:
Have you returned an item to the store recently ?
If so, did you get a refund, store credit, or exchange ?

Bonus:
How often do you use a parking meter ?
Does it accept tokens, a “smart card”, coins, or other payment ?
How often do you use a parking garage ?
Does it involve a booth & attendant, an automated ticket dispenser, and/or other method ?

Just for Fun:
Have you been to an event or restaurant with...
coat-check service/cloakroom ?
suit-and-tie/formal dress requirement ?
valet parking ?

LINK —> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloakroom#Attendants

Today in History:
1932: Birth of musician & singer-songwriter “Little Richard”, Richard Wayne Penniman
1933: Ratification of the 21st amendment to U.S. Constitution, repealing the 18th amendment (Prohibition against alcohol)
1934: Birth of author Joan Didion (The Year of Magical Thinking)
1944: Birth of actor Jeroen Krabbé (The Fugitive, Ocean’s Twelve)
1952: Air pollution & fog create the Great Smog of London which lasts for several days, causing thousands of fatalities
1955: Start of the Montgomery AL bus boycott, after the arrest of Rosa Parks
1958: Britain’s first motorway (controlled-access highway) opens, the Preston By-pass
1968: Birth of actress & comedian Margaret Cho (Face/Off)
1976: Birth of actress Amy Acker (Angel, Alias)

Today’s Word:
resplendent /rəˈsplendənt/ (adj.): Impressively and attractively dazzling, brilliant, bright and shiny.

Today Is:
Blue Jeans Day
World Soil Day
Bathtub Party Day
National Sacher Torte Day
-this month is-
Spiritual Literacy Month

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at lower left & upper right-

Thought for the Day:
“There is no such thing as absolute certainty, but there is assurance sufficient for the purposes of human life.”
-John Stuart Mill

Wishing you a sturdy life raft, safe passage, and wondrous sights on your day today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 11:12 PM

44,695 posts, read 61,856,330 times

Today’s Question:
If you wear jeans/denim, how long does it take until they feel “worn in”, more comfortable ? 2 or 3 washings.
How long does it take to break in, get used to, a new pair of shoes or boots ? A few days.
Have you gotten rid of something “worn out” or broken lately ? Yes just yesterday threw some stuff away.
Have you replaced the laces on a pair of sneakers or boots ? Never had too, they outlast the footwear.
Have you ever worn colorful (other than tan, black, white, etc.) and/or patterned shoelaces ? Nope.

Extra Credit:
Have you returned an item to the store recently ? A few months ago.
If so, did you get a refund, store credit, or exchange ? Refund.

Bonus:
How often do you use a parking meter ? Never.
Does it accept tokens, a “smart card”, coins, or other payment ? n/a
How often do you use a parking garage ? Rarely.
Does it involve a booth & attendant, an automated ticket dispenser, and/or other method ? Self parking, it's a hospital.

Just for Fun:
coat-check service/cloakroom ? Not in eons.
suit-and-tie/formal dress requirement ? Again not in eons.
valet parking ? Again not in eons.
Again great maze Cloven.

Last edited by wit-nit; 12-04-2016 at 11:23 PM..

Old 12-04-2016, 11:16 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,030,068 times

Today’s Question:
If you wear jeans/denim, how long does it take until they feel “worn in”, more comfortable ? One washing.
Have you replaced the laces on a pair of sneakers or boots ? Not lately.
Have you ever worn colorful (other than tan, black, white, etc.) and/or patterned shoelaces ?

Extra Credit:
If so, did you get a refund, store credit, or exchange ? N/A

Bonus:
How often do you use a parking meter ? Never. Not in years anyway.
How often do you use a parking garage ? Only when we go downtown or hospitals.
Does it involve a booth & attendant, an automated ticket dispenser, and/or other method ?

Just for Fun:
valet parking ? But.... Hospital my wife and kids were born in has valet parking.

Today in History:
1932: Birth of musician & singer-songwriter “Little Richard”, Richard Wayne Penniman
1933: Ratification of the 21st amendment to U.S. Constitution, repealing the 18th amendment (Prohibition against alcohol)
1952: Air pollution & fog create the Great Smog of London which lasts for several days, causing thousands of fatalities
1958: Britain’s first motorway (controlled-access highway) opens, the Preston By-pass

Today’s Word:
resplendent /rəˈsplendənt/ (adj.): Impressively and attractively dazzling, brilliant, bright and shiny.

Today Is:
Blue Jeans Day
World Soil Day
Bathtub Party Day
-this month is-
Spiritual Literacy Month

Thought for the Day:
“There is no such thing as absolute certainty, but there is assurance sufficient for the purposes of human life.”
-John Stuart Mill

Wishing you a sturdy life raft, safe passage, and wondrous sights on your day today
Thanks Cloven! Nice job!

Last edited by SATX56; 12-04-2016 at 11:36 PM..

Old 12-04-2016, 11:33 PM

39,053 posts, read 23,044,693 times
Today’s Question:
If you wear jeans/denim, how long does it take until they feel “worn in”, more comfortable ? Usually a month or less.
How long does it take to break in, get used to, a new pair of shoes or boots ? Just a day or two because I purchase shoes that already feel comfortable when I try them on at the store.
Have you gotten rid of something “worn out” or broken lately ? A couple of holey T-shirts.
Have you replaced the laces on a pair of sneakers or boots ? I have but not recently.
Have you ever worn colorful (other than tan, black, white, etc.) and/or patterned shoelaces ? No, my tastes are traditional.

Extra Credit:
Have you returned an item to the store recently ? A few months ago I returned a gallon jug of milk.
If so, did you get a refund, store credit, or exchange ? I got a cash refund.

Bonus:
How often do you use a parking meter ? Never.
Does it accept tokens, a “smart card”, coins, or other payment ? Last one I used took coins only.
How often do you use a parking garage ? Every day at my workplace.
Does it involve a booth & attendant, an automated ticket dispenser, and/or other method ? Self-parking and it's open to the public as well as employees who work inside my building.

Just for Fun:
valet parking ?
Yes to all. ^^^

Have a great start to the new week!

Old 12-04-2016, 11:41 PM

21,629 posts, read 8,789,073 times

Today’s Question:
If you wear jeans/denim, how long does it take until they feel “worn in”, more comfortable ?
The only jeans I wear are Not Your Daughter's Jeans, and the fabric they use doesn't really need breaking in the way classic denim does.
If they don't feel comfortable right away, I won't buy them. Generally speaking, shoes shouldn't need breaking in. But sometimes a pair that feels a bit snug will loosen up a bit. This is especially true for slippers.
I got rid of some old tee shirts that had little holes in them and were were looking ratty.
Yes, though usually the shoes wear out before the laces do.
The shoelaces on my Asics athletic shoes are lime green, and the Saucony shoes I had before that had bright Day-Glo orange laces.
Extra Credit:
Yes, although it was a mail order item, so I sent it back.
I am waiting for the replacement item to arrive.
Bonus:
Once a week or less. Whenever possible I try to find street parking or shop where they have a parking lot. Our parking meters are really expensive. 25 cents only gets you about six minutes in my neighborhood (rates vary depending on location with popular tourist areas charging more). If you get ticketed for non-payment, the fine is $65. That's the bad news. The good news is that our meters are equipped with readers, so for a 40 cent surcharge you can pay with your ATM or smart phone instead of fumbling for change.
Oops, I wrote the above before reading this. Our meters take everything except pennies.
Not very often. Usually it's only when I visit the doctor or dentist, or when I go to the movies.
The medical building and movie lots are free, so there are no tickets or attendant. The lot nearest the dentist lets you prepay with your ATM/credit card as you enter or you can take a ticket and pay at a kiosk before you leave.
Just for Fun:
Yes, but not recently. I used to date a newspaper society columnist, and he took me to some places that offered these services. Also, the San Francisco Opera and Symphony have a coat check.
Same as above.
valet parking ?
Mr. Bay and I once used the valet at a restaurant in San Francisco's North Beach neighborhood, where parking is next to impossible. We did try to find a spot on our own, however, before giving up and paying the $7 plus tip. I felt a bit embarrassed to be paying a valet to park a 1993 Geo Prizm!

Thanks, cloven!

Old 12-05-2016, 12:26 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,646,787 times
Today’s Question:
If you wear jeans/denim, how long does it take until they feel “worn in”, more comfortable ? I'm a dress/skirt person, but the few jeans I have - maybe two or three washes to feel comfortable?
How long does it take to break in, get used to, a new pair of shoes or boots ? Totally depends on the shoe. If they aren't comfortable by the third time I try to wear them t
hey get returned or donated.
Have you gotten rid of something “worn out” or broken lately ? A few days ago I opened a cupboard and found that a glass casserole dish had broken. I have no idea how! So I spent a lot of time wrapping the pieces up in newspaper so the garbage lady doesn't get cut.
Have you replaced the laces on a pair of sneakers or boots ? Not since I was a kid.
Have you ever worn colorful (other than tan, black, white, etc.) and/or patterned shoelaces ? Ditto above.

Extra Credit:
Have you returned an item to the store recently ? I'm about to send a pair of slippers back to LLBean.
If so, did you get a refund, store credit, or exchange ? We'll see!

Bonus:
How often do you use a parking meter ? I haven't even seen a parking meter in years.
How often do you use a parking garage ? Ditto above. Wait, I remember the last time I parked in one - it was in February, 2015 in LaCrosse, WI when attending the MOSES conference. Parking garages give me vertigo.

Just for Fun:
coat-check service/cloakroom ? Yes, long ago
suit-and-tie/formal dress requirement ? Yes, long ago
valet parking ? That used to bug me so much when I lived in LA. Even the most ordinary places required valet parking in the late 80s - so pretentious and unnecessary. I wonder if it is the same today? You CA people will have to tell me.

Thanks, Cloven! I've been having a fun time composing bumper sticker slogans this evening. Lots of good rhymes!

Old 12-05-2016, 01:55 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,457,933 times
The only pants I wear are Wrangler blue jeans. The only time you will find me in proper pants are at a funeral, or a wedding. They are comfortable, and I have worn blue jeans all my adult life. These days, I only buy my jeans while visiting Las Vegas. The Wal-Mart, down Boulder Highway there, sell very comfy jeans. Many years ago, I used to wear Levi's. Boy, they were hard work breaking in, so I gave up on them!

Now shoes........ oh my gawd. The trouble I have had with them over the years. When I was a kid, breaking in a new pair of shoes was murder. I always had blisters on my heels covered with band aids. In more recent years, shoes seem softer, and I have had less trouble.

That was until I bought a pair of brown brogues a few years ago. They are real nice, with heels made up of different coloured slices of leather. I wore them round the house for a while, and thought they were just fine. I took them with me on holiday. First to Tunisia. I soon realized they were hurting me. I persevered for a few hours, then I gave up. I again wore them round the house for a while. "Perfect Judy" I announced. So, I took them to Spain with me. After wearing them for a few hours, same thing. They hurt me, and they got thrown into my suitcase. I sure like those shoes, and no doubt will give them another go eventually. I told Judy, if I end up not being able to wear them, make sure they end up on me when I die. I hate to see them go to waste.............

We never use parking meters, because my wife refuses to pay to park. Luckily, there are places in our town to park for free. But, when we go elsewhere, to towns like Bury, they don't have free parking. But, we found a place which gives free parking, as long as you buy something in store. I have a drawer section under our bed. In the drawer I keep my underpants and socks. It is jam packed full of unopened packs of underpants and socks. All bought, so we could have free parking................

Old 12-05-2016, 02:20 AM

11,411 posts, read 9,336,533 times
Today’s Question:
- N/A - I don't wear them.

How long does it take to break in, get used to, a new pair of shoes or boots ? - No problem, right away.

Have you gotten rid of something “worn out” or broken lately ? - Pants.

Have you replaced the laces on a pair of sneakers or boots ? - Not lately.

Have you ever worn colorful (other than tan, black, white, etc.) and/or patterned shoelaces ? - Nope

Extra Credit:
- I can't remember the last time I did that.

If so, did you get a refund, store credit, or exchange ? - N/A

Bonus:
- Rarely

Does it accept tokens, a “smart card”, coins, or other payment ? - Many here accept bankcards.

- It's been a long time...

Just for Fun:
- In the past, yes.

suit-and-tie/formal dress requirement ? - Where I used to work at last years "Holiday Party."
valet parking ? - Once at a hotel, guessing 2011.

Thanks, cloven.
Happy Monday to all!

Old 12-05-2016, 02:28 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,829,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post

Today’s Question:
Some immediately, some never do.
Most I buy these days are comfortable to begin with & only get more so, otherwise they're gone.
And some new things that just weren't of use anymore.
Many times on sneakers & athletic shoes & on my prized rink roller skates back in my early teens.

Extra Credit:

Bonus:
Rarely in the past & none in a very long while.
Coins at the time
When working, everyday & frequently at airports... rarely since.
Most were employer provided at no cost, others were w/booth & attendant or automated w/security card or code entrance.

Just for Fun:
valet parking ?

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Blue Jeans Day
World Soil Day
Bathtub Party Day
-this month is-
Spiritual Literacy Month

Today’s Picture: Great maze, the sharks are circling!
Entrance & exit are at lower left & upper right-

Thought for the Day:
-John Stuart Mill

Thanks cloven for Monday's QotD & thanks for the wonderful wish for the day, right back at ya!

Happy Monday all, enjoy the season!

Old 12-05-2016, 03:34 AM

16,723 posts, read 17,498,700 times
Hello cloven and all.

Today’s Question:

I don't wear denim these days and the trousers that I do wear don't need to be worn in.

Generally little time. If they fit well and the leather is reasonably supple it's not too bad.

Yes, as required. The pain are those leather laces for deck shoes.

No, but my colourful sock collection is great!

Extra Credit:

Not recently.

Anything that we have returned has almost always been refunded or exchanged.

Bonus:

Almost never and there have been none where we've been living.

How often do you use a parking garage ? Back here in the UK we used one this week.

Just for Fun:
valet parking ? ..including a hospital in Houston- that was a first for me.

Thanks cloven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics