Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 10:17 AM

13,309 posts, read 8,564,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I prefer they pay a reasonable wage to all employees. If they deserve a tip you can leave one. We have plenty well staffed eating establishments that accept no tips and the employees are paid a fair wage as it should be. I despise the way tipping has been turned into an extra charge you're paying for your food. They should charge what they must for their food. If they fail to survive they shouldn't have been in business to start with.
Not a fan of paying the employees wages...
The business owner can do that.
And pay them fairly.
I rarely tip so I am more inclined to pay for the product or service price that is listed on the menu or catalog. Its an agreement of purchase as the consumer.

Its a great idea in theory...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 10:23 AM

389 posts, read 278,606 times
I got into a discussion the other day with a male friend and I couldn't believe what was coming out of his mouth. He believes in tipping and that some people deserve more than others. I just stared into his eyes and was speechless. Some restaurants deliberately set a "dress code" that is meant to entice. Wearing short shorts and a neckline down to the belly button should not be a reason to tip. My hubby and I went for drinks one evening to a place I USED to like. Well a new waitress was serving us and outright flirting with my husband and ignoring me at the table. If there was no tipping nonsense like that would be much less.
Another example of expectations was going for a buffet dinner. The server brought us coffee and took our plates, that's it. We served ourselves. When ready to leave the debit machine asked for a tip. (this is a buffet restaurant) there IS NO service to tip. I bypassed the tip option and paid for the meal. The girl at the till promptly gave me a disgusted look and went to walk away. I asked for my copy and told her that at 32.00 a plate where I serve myself a tip is not required. Her face got red and she was silent.

It's ridiculous. But that's my point of view.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:32 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,478,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Not a fan of paying the employees wages...
The business owner can do that.
And pay them fairly.
I rarely tip so I am more inclined to pay for the product or service price that is listed on the menu or catalog. Its an agreement of purchase as the consumer.

Its a great idea in theory...
Yes, but the problem is, I am told, is that many employees don't get minimum wage, but just a few dollars per hour. The server expects tips to make up their wages. The idea is to make the server work hard pleasing the customer with good service.

I have read some folks saying that if the servers didn't work for tips, they wouldn't have an incentive to serve well. In other words no incentive to be friendly and come back every few minutes asking "everything ok here........ would you like your coffee cup refilling?"........ that sort of thing.

That's how it works, because I have had such service in Las Vegas. You get a big smile, and "hi, my name is Suzi........ are you ready to order?" It's all very nice, and friendly. But, the truth is, I get the same sort of service in England. Friendly and polite. I admit they don't come past every two minutes saying, "everything ok here?" But, if I need my server, I get her attention without any problems.

It's just the way things are done in America I guess. But, the problem seems to be, some folks are getting fed up of the tipping situation, because it seems to be creeping into previously untipped jobs. Plus the increasing percentage seemingly expected. I believe it's something like 20% these days. I talked to an old American lady once, and she said when she was young, it was 10%

That was pointed out in another tipping thread. Some bright spark came on, and said, "the percentage had to increase because of inflation....." Someone told them that the same inflation was also increasing the price of the meal, and therefore also the amount tipped!!

It's a bit of a minefield is this subject, but hopefully we won't get anybody frothing at the mouth screeching, "I tip 20% if my food is spilled on the floor, and 40% if the server doesn't...."......

Last edited by English Dave; 09-18-2016 at 10:47 AM..

Old 09-18-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki66 View Post
I got into a discussion the other day with a male friend and I couldn't believe what was coming out of his mouth. He believes in tipping and that some people deserve more than others. I just stared into his eyes and was speechless. Some restaurants deliberately set a "dress code" that is meant to entice. Wearing short shorts and a neckline down to the belly button should not be a reason to tip. My hubby and I went for drinks one evening to a place I USED to like. Well a new waitress was serving us and outright flirting with my husband and ignoring me at the table. If there was no tipping nonsense like that would be much less.
Another example of expectations was going for a buffet dinner. The server brought us coffee and took our plates, that's it. We served ourselves. When ready to leave the debit machine asked for a tip. (this is a buffet restaurant) there IS NO service to tip. I bypassed the tip option and paid for the meal. The girl at the till promptly gave me a disgusted look and went to walk away. I asked for my copy and told her that at 32.00 a plate where I serve myself a tip is not required. Her face got red and she was silent.

It's ridiculous. But that's my point of view.
This is the problem isn't it? Folks expect to be tipped, even doing such a small thing as bringing you coffee and removing plates. But then again, is that much less than bringing you a plate of food,and putting it in front of you?

I always tip the buffet folks in Las Vegas because they bring me sody pop, remove my plates, and wipe the table down ready for the next customer. Only a few dollars, which I see Americans do. If they do it, I do it........

But like you say, the girl gave you a look of disgust because as far as she is concerned, you should tip. Whether it's right or wrong doesn't come into it. I would imagine many Americans tip just because they want to avoid that look which means, 'cheapskate........' It has nothing to do with being cheap, it really is why should the customer have to do it? Why is making wages of servers acceptable up to the customer?

As to the server flirting with your husband, I guess that must work, or she wouldn't do it. With a no tipping policy, she wouldn't need to do this sort of thing.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:48 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,155,342 times
It wasn't normal to tip 10% when I was young, it was normal to tip whatever you wished to, if you felt the need. There are those with an excess of disposable income that like to feel the power of a few bucks handed over to the work folk. I tip more than you do attitude and such. No the staff should be paid a fair wage for the work they're expected to do. They shouldn't need extra encouragement to do their work well. Where else do you see people with far more strenuous and/or technical expertise required jobs getting or expecting "Tips"? The restaurant business has taken a friendly gesture of it's patrons and tried to turn it into partial payment for the servers payroll. They've even got the government going along with their schemes.

I've heard all the stories from servers saying you know what happens to those that don't tip? They imply or at times come right and say the food is adulterated or worse. If you ask for a steak to be well done the cook will give you a special piece of crap meat set aside for those that don't like raw meat. So many threats and other horror stories coming from those expecting tips for their service. Makes one want to stay home and eat.

I grew up with Dad being a very good tipper. We generally had a regular waitress at places we frequented and we all knew what to expect. I watch my kids now. They go out to eat very often. I watch them shelling out all that so-called tip money over and above the already hefty food costs. It's not taken as a gratitude it's a payment....your share of their salary. Pay it or else. It's disgusting. Tip jars at registers too. WTH? Food establishments need to pay fair wages and leave the tips alone.

BTW, when the tip is mandatory and affixed to your bill that's theft. The percentage amount should be built in the food prices and clearly stated. Huge signs saying "Our food is more expensive than the menu pricing indicates" should be posted at the front door.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:43 AM

3,098 posts, read 1,708,529 times
I have not decided on this one. I would expect the menu prices to raise a LOT, and I already have stopped going to a lot of restaurants because I really can't afford them. Plus, with the price hikes, if you get shoddy service then you're stuck with the charges.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:58 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,155,342 times
All they need to do is run an efficient operation and serve a good product. They're gonna charge all they can regardless of who helps pay their employees wages. When they can no longer hide their higher prices with the tip scheme they'll learn to make do with less or become more efficient. Then folks won't have to feel bad if they can barely afford to eat out and can't afford a tip. Believe me the restaurant management wants their business whether or not they intend to tip the help. The wait folk will learn they're working for a flat wage and not dependent upon the generosity or ability or willingness of a customer to leave them a gratuity. Everyone is better off. You can still get lucky once in a while and get a real "Tip".

Tips were once a great thing when the waiters/waitresses were paid a full wage. The tip was a real bonus. Then the reduced salary VS. tip gimmick came along the dependence on tips is real and a must just to reach you minimal wage. Bartenders love the tip thing because the over indulgent knuckleheads are gonna tip them to death. They clean house so to speak. Let their be truth in advertising. Prices on the menu are the charge the only charge fully disclosed. Tips are really nice when you get them now.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
I have not decided on this one. I would expect the menu prices to raise a LOT, and I already have stopped going to a lot of restaurants because I really can't afford them. Plus, with the price hikes, if you get shoddy service then you're stuck with the charges.
This is another argument I see often in tipping threads. Think about it....... if the employer has to increase the wages of his serving staff from say $2 to $10 per hour. That's another $8 per hour for how many servers? That extra cost per day, would be spread out among all the customers. It doesn't add up to much per customer in a busy restaurant does it?

As for shoddy service, well if that's the case SACK 'EM. It'll soon stop then won't it? I eat in English non tipping restaurants, and I don't get shoddy service. The employees are paid to do the job by their employer. If they don't want to do it properly, then jog on........

Same in bars here. None of the staff expect tipping for just doing the job they are paid to do. They serve drinks, take the money, and hand back the change. Why should you have to tip bar staff for doing their job? Just think about it......... it's ridiculous.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:09 AM

44,739 posts, read 62,033,127 times
Oh oh, I think I mis-read this thread...

Old 09-22-2016, 09:39 AM

3,098 posts, read 1,708,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post

Tip jars at registers too. WTH? Food establishments need to pay fair wages and leave the tips alone.

BTW, when the tip is mandatory and affixed to your bill that's theft. The percentage amount should be built in the food prices and clearly stated. Huge signs saying "Our food is more expensive than the menu pricing indicates" should be posted at the front door.
Tipping restaurant service, for me, is fine because I often ask the server to do a few things for me. I do not like to tip jars at registers, nor do I like to tip room service (maid service) because I've no clue "who" made up the room vs. who "will" make up the room, and whose pocket it ends up in.

Curious, though: Since strippers work in bars, should "no tipping" go ditto for them, too? I'd be curious to read input on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics