Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 10:43 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,706,996 times

Advertisements

First, let's have some good clean fun with . . .

Today's Questions:
Have you:
-Run after a garbage truck with your trash when you didn't get it to the curb in time? Never.
-Thrown your trash in a dumpster, if the truck missed your place for any reason? Once.
-Kept something you found in or next to a dumpster? If so, what? No.
-Taken something home that was left curbside as trash - like furniture or an appliance? No. If so, what/for instance?
-Had someone take something from your curbside trash? Yes. If so, what? A 10 gallon fish tank.
-Driven to a dump to drop off refuse yourself? No.
-Been inconvenienced by holidays with no trash pickup? No.
- Felt reassured you didn't get trash day wrong because neighbors had set their trash out, too?

-Any other "trashy" experiences you care to share:

Foodie Questions:
Ready to go bananas? I'll pass.
Have you made or enjoyed:
-Banana split? Haven't eaten one in years.
-Banana cream pie? Enjoyed but it's been awhile.
-Banana pudding? Enjoyed
-Banana bread? Enjoyed
- Other banana laden food? Sour cream and bananas are pretty good.
-
Or, if it's possible - do you NOT like bananas ?!

Bonus:
Do you watch or care about pageants, like Miss America, etc.? I watch sometimes.

Extra:
Have you ever used someone else's internet service - like a neighbor - without their knowing or would you? No way!

Today in History:
1571 Laguna encomiendas founded, one of the oldest encomiendas (provinces) in the Philippines
1655 Cyrano de Bergerac died at 36 in France. He was the model in Edmond Rostand's 1897 hit play named for him. (see quote)
1821 José de San Martín declared the independence of Peru from Spain
1854 USS Constellation commissioned, last all-sail warship built for the US Navy
1948 London's Metropolitan Police foiled a bullion robbery in the "Battle of London Airport"
1984 Soviets and allies boycotted Summer Olympics that officially opened in Los Angeles, CA, in response to
-Pres. Carter's having US athletes boycott the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow
2001 Australian Ian Thorpe became 1st swimmer to win six gold medals at a single World Championships

Today's Quote:
"A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous, and liberal man."
~ Cyrano de Bergerac, author

Today’s Word:
laden [LEYd-n] adjective
loaded down with, heavy with

Today Includes:
Chili Dog Day
Lumberjack Day
Milk Chocolate Day
Refreshment Day

This Week Includes:
Texas Mosquitos Days, SATX56 can explain the perils

Today's Stately Picture:
Indiana. State capitol building in Indianapolis from Market Street.

Made freely available on wikipedia.org by Daniel Schwen

Wishing you a Thursday laden with goodness! [/quote]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 11:16 PM

21,560 posts, read 8,739,775 times
Today's Questions:
Have you:
-Run after a garbage truck with your trash when you didn't get it to the curb in time?
No, but I've run after the mail carrier and the bus.
-Thrown your trash in a dumpster, if the truck missed your place for any reason?
No, that's never happened.
-Kept something you found in or next to a dumpster? If so, what?
No, although when the lighting in TV studio where I worked was being renovated, I took some heavy glass Fresnel lenses as souvenirs.
-Taken something home that was left curbside as trash - like furniture or an appliance? If so, what/for instance?
No
-Had someone take something from your curbside trash? If so, what?
There are trash pickers who go around the residential neighborhoods taking recyclable cans and bottles out of people's recycle bins. It hasn't happened to us yet, but that's probably only because we live on a steep hill.
-Driven to a dump to drop off refuse yourself?
No, but I've paid people to do that.
-Been inconvenienced by holidays with no trash pickup?
They always let us know what the holiday schedule will be in advance, so it's not an inconvenience.
- Felt reassured you didn't get trash day wrong because neighbors had set their trash out, too?
That sometimes happens during holiday weeks when neighbors didn't get the word about the new pickup day.

When my mother moved to assisted living I had to empty out her house and sell, donate, discard or give away whatever she couldn't take with her. Some of her dishes and kitchen items were worth saving, but much of it was just junk. It broke my heart to toss out well-worn and loved pans with broken handles or the bread box where she used to put her home-made bread.

Foodie Questions:
Ready to go bananas?
-Banana split?
I never have understood what people see in these, but I do like sliced bananas with vanilla yogurt and honey.
-Banana cream pie?
Never made one, but I've had them in restaurants.
-Banana pudding?
Same as above
-Banana bread?
I've baked banana bread.

- Other banana laden food?
When I was young and foolish, I used to drink banana daiquiris.

Bonus:
Do you watch or care about pageants, like Miss America, etc.?
No, I haven't watched a beauty pageant in years.
Extra:
Have you ever used someone else's internet service - like a neighbor - without their knowing or would you?
Yes, when I first got my laptop, my neighbor had a hot spot that wasn't secured. I would only use it late at night and assumed that my piggybacking on his signal that it didn't affect him since I don't down games or movies or anything like that. But eventually my neighbor put a password on his router, so Mr. Bay and I got our own wireless service.
Thanks, bjh!

Old 07-27-2016, 11:41 PM

3,080 posts, read 1,686,441 times
Garbage: No, I have never chased after the truck.
Dumpster: Never have.
Dumpster finds: Nope.
Have never taken trash left at curbsite. But....
Our postman once took a large glass pig that I didn't want anymore. I used it to save coins but it was way too heavy. I don't know what the postman wanted it for but I was glad that he took it.
We do take junk out to the landfill every so often. We have a utility trailer.
Never had a problem during a holiday.
Never need reminders for the trash, and my wall calendar has the type of curbside pickup written on it through the year (it alternates between yard debris and recycling stuff here).

No "trashy" stories. When I grew up on the farm we burned our own garbage because there was no pickup then.

YES to all the banana treats. And I've enjoyed Bananas Foster before, too.

I like to watch the Miss Universe pagent but that's it.

Internet: No, I have not. I would feel too intrusive doing so.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:22 AM

38,926 posts, read 22,931,581 times
Today's Questions:
Have you:
-Run after a garbage truck with your trash when you didn't get it to the curb in time? No
-Thrown your trash in a dumpster, if the truck missed your place for any reason? No
-Kept something you found in or next to a dumpster? No
-Taken something home that was left curbside as trash - like furniture or an appliance? No
-Had someone take something from your curbside trash? Yes If so, what? Old patio umbrella, a couple of old folding chairs and an old food cart.
-Driven to a dump to drop off refuse yourself? I've gone to a local recycler to drop off items.
-Been inconvenienced by holidays with no trash pickup? No, because in my city, the trash is picked up, even on holidays, so I imagine the workers are paid triple time.
- Felt reassured you didn't get trash day wrong because neighbors had set their trash out, too? That doesn't happen here because the trash pickup days are ALWAYS consistent.

-Any other "trashy" experiences you care to share: A few times, the trash collection workers wouldn't empty my greens/clippings trash can because it was too full and heavy (there's a weight limit), so I'd have to partially empty it and wait for the next trash pickup day.

Foodie Questions:
Ready to go bananas?
-Banana split? Yes
-Banana cream pie? Yes
-Banana pudding? Yes
-Banana bread? Yes
- Other banana laden food? Bananas Foster, banana egg rolls from P.F. Chang's and Filipino banana fritters which are similar to banana egg rolls.
-
Or, if it's possible - do you NOT like bananas ?! I LOVE bananas. I just don't eat them all the time.

Bonus:
Do you watch or care about pageants, like Miss America, etc.? I used to. Not so interested in them anymore for various reasons.

Extra:
Have you ever used someone else's internet service - like a neighbor - without their knowing or would you? I would never do this nor would I allow it.

Enjoy your Friday Eve!

Old 07-28-2016, 12:33 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,119,875 times
Today's Questions:

Have you:

-Run after a garbage truck with your trash when you didn't get it to the curb in time?
Yes, I have done that a couple of times, pushing my recycling wheeler bin down the road after the refuse truck at 6 in the morning!
-Thrown your trash in a dumpster, if the truck missed your place for any reason? No
-Kept something you found in or next to a dumpster? If so, what? Heavens, no!
-Taken something home that was left curbside as trash - like furniture or an appliance? If so, what/for instance? Noooo!
-Had someone take something from your curbside trash? If so, what? Not that I've noticed, but I guess it wouldn't surprise me if it did. One person's rubbish is another person's desirable
-Driven to a dump to drop off refuse yourself? Only for bulky refuse; or garden refuse - which our regular refuse collection trucks don't pick up.

-Been inconvenienced by holidays with no trash pickup? Never been an issue
- Felt reassured you didn't get trash day wrong because neighbors had set their trash out, too?I'm quite anal when it comes to things like this: everything is clearly marked on my calendars and electronic diaries. But that doesn't stop me in my tracks when I do see wheelie bins parked outside on a day I just KNOW is wrong.

-Any other "trashy" experiences you care to share: My parents were very quick to throw things out belonging to me during my childhood and teen years. I was a typical hoarder - wanted to keep all my toys, dolls, games etc despite the fact I never actually played with them and that they were from my early childhood! I still felt a need to keep them in my bedroom as keepsakes!

However, one day after returning from school, I noticed big gaps under my bed and in my wardrobes and on the tops of my wardrobes where my games and stuff used to be!

I questioned my mother and she said she'd had a massive clear-out; dumped everything in bin liners, thrown it all in the boot of the car, driven to the local dump and cast it aside forever!

Needless to say this didn't go down well with Zola (15 at the time!) Lots of shouting, slamming of doors, tantrums, silences and more tantrums for a good week!

Foodie Questions:
Ready to go bananas?
-Banana split? Am not a fan of bananas in all honesty!
-Banana cream pie? That just sounds so wrong to me!:eek:
-Banana pudding? Nein
-Banana bread? Niet.

- Other banana laden food? I only eat bananas for the potassium and magnesium - extremely useful when running marathons

Or, if it's possible - do you NOT like bananas ?! As above. Although they do throw up some cheap smutty humour in my office: guys bragging about their bananas and waving them around, ha!

Bonus:
Do you watch or care about pageants, like Miss America, etc.? Never interested me; not even as a child

Extra:
Have you ever used someone else's internet service - like a neighbor - without their knowing or would you? Yes, but not through intent. Our neighbours are not very tech savvy; so it was quite easy to just piggyback onto their network and see their infrastructure. But the following day I told them about it, and shortly afterwards secured their network. Although I had to tell them how to change their router password which I had originally set up, otherwise I could quite easily access their network again!

Thanks, bjh!

Old 07-28-2016, 12:52 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,801,561 times
First, let's have some good clean fun with . . .

Today's Questions:
Have you:
I haven't but my neighbor has
-Thrown your trash in a dumpster, if the truck missed your place for any reason?
yep
Ew no
-Taken something home that was left curbside as trash - like furniture or an appliance? If so, what/for instance?
not that I recall
Yes a broken T.V. and a lounge chair
oh yes many times
yes
uh-huh

I've turned trash into treasure many times, especially when I had my business but I never went dumpster diving. I got all my junk from thrift stores

Foodie Questions:
Ready to go bananas?
-Banana split? rather have a hot fudge sundae
-Banana cream pie?
-Banana pudding?
-Banana bread?
none that I can think of
-

Bonus:
No not at all, I couldn't care less

Extra:
Have you ever used someone else's internet service - like a neighbor - without their knowing or would you?
If they didn't have secure wi-fi then sure, I would use it if I had to

Today in History:
1571 Laguna encomiendas founded, one of the oldest encomiendas (provinces) in the Philippines
1655 Cyrano de Bergerac died at 36 in France. He was the model in Edmond Rostand's 1897 hit play named for him. (see quote)
1821 José de San Martín declared the independence of Peru from Spain
1854 USS Constellation commissioned, last all-sail warship built for the US Navy
1948 London's Metropolitan Police foiled a bullion robbery in the "Battle of London Airport"
1984 Soviets and allies boycotted Summer Olympics that officially opened in Los Angeles, CA, in response to
-Pres. Carter's having US athletes boycott the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow
2001 Australian Ian Thorpe became 1st swimmer to win six gold medals at a single World Championships

Today's Quote:
"A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous, and liberal man."
~ Cyrano de Bergerac, author

Today’s Word:
laden [LEYd-n] adjective
loaded down with, heavy with

Today Includes:
Chili Dog Day
Lumberjack Day
Milk Chocolate Day
Refreshment Day

This Week Includes:
Texas Mosquitos Days, SATX56 can explain the perils
I know the perils of mosquitoes very well being born and raised on the coast, they are so big and vicious that one of the islands near where I lived called Cedar Island was affectionately known as "skeeter" Island

Today's Stately Picture:
Indiana. State capitol building in Indianapolis from Market Street.

Made freely available on wikipedia.org by Daniel Schwen
What an awesome picture!

Wishing you a Thursday laden with goodness!

Thanks bjh!

Old 07-28-2016, 01:17 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,616,693 times
Today's Questions:
Have you:
-Taken something home that was left curbside as trash - like furniture or an appliance? If so, what/for instance? a nice wooden crate
-Had someone take something from your curbside trash? If so, what? don't think so
-Driven to a dump to drop off refuse yourself? Yes
-Been inconvenienced by holidays with no trash pickup? Don't generate that much trash
- Felt reassured you didn't get trash day wrong because neighbors had set their trash out, too? probably

-Any other "trashy" experiences you care to share: My garbage lady is wonderful.

Foodie Questions:
Ready to go bananas?
-Banana split?
-Banana cream pie?
-Banana pudding?
-Banana bread? if it isn't too smelly
- Other banana laden food? I don't like the smell of bananas, but the taste is sort of ok maybe.
-
Or, if it's possible - do you NOT like bananas ?! How can you stand the smell?????

Bonus:
Do you watch or care about pageants, like Miss America, etc.? I guess I like most competition shows.

Extra:
Have you ever used someone else's internet service - like a neighbor - without their knowing or would you? Not a person's, I wouldn't. But when I'm traveling sometimes I'll park outside of a business and see if I can catch some wi-fi.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:20 AM

11,378 posts, read 9,296,826 times
Today's Questions:
Have you:

^ No to all.

-Driven to a dump to drop off refuse yourself? - Only recycling when I lived at a place that didn't have a pick-up.

- No to the rest.

Foodie Questions:
Ready to go bananas?
-Banana split?
- Yes, yum.
-Banana cream pie? - Never had it.
-Banana pudding? - Ditto the cream pie answer.
-Banana bread? - I bake the best.
- Other banana laden food? - Just in my cereal or oatmeal.

Bonus:
- Don't care / never watched one.

Extra:
-

Thanks, bjh.
Hope everyone has a good Thursday!

Old 07-28-2016, 03:00 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,052,604 times
Today's Questions:
Have you:

The answer to all of the above is no. I've lived in apartment complexes. All trash goes in a dumpster. For large appliances or a lot of things I can't lift like before a move, I call Got Junk (MD) or Junk Bee Gone (TN).

Foodie Questions:
Ready to go bananas?
-Banana split?
-Banana cream pie?
-Banana pudding?
-Banana bread?

Yes to all of the above plus muffins and shakes and pops. Would try anything made with bananas,
-
Or, if it's possible - do you NOT like bananas ?! N/A

Bonus:
No

Extra:
No, have cable.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:40 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,413,771 times
[/u]Have you:
-Run after a garbage truck with your trash when you didn't get it to the curb in time? I have

-Thrown your trash in a dumpster, if the truck missed your place for any reason? No if I had pick up I would just wait for the next one.

-Kept something you found in or next to a dumpster? If so, what? A set of 6 patio chairs We used them at one of our remodel houses…and when we were finished with them a neighbor took them, lol. This year I got a boogie board for my granddaughter. When my husband was a kid he used to ride his bike around and pick up items. He eventually got most of the parts to make a mini bike. Always creative he was.

-Taken something home that was left curbside as trash - like furniture or an appliance? If so, what/for instance? You name it. When remodeling we strip houses…so furniture, yard tools, glass doors, windows, fencing, metal, poles, a tanning bed once that was in the garage, and more.

-Had someone take something from your curbside trash? If so, what? All of the above…sometimes we helped them load it up.

-Driven to a dump to drop off refuse yourself? In TN…I go almost weekly. No pick up here.

-Been inconvenienced by holidays with no trash pickup? Nah…save it for another day.

-Any other "trashy" experiences you care to share: One garbage man had a crush on me, lol. I would come back inside and my husband would say "how's your boyfriend"

Foodie Questions:
Ready to go bananas? I'm like that most of the time
-Banana split?
-Banana cream pie?
-Banana pudding? meh
-Banana bread?
- Other banana laden food? Bananas Foster sounds good I like them with peanut butter and just sliced up in a fruit salad or over cereal
-

Bonus:
Do you watch or care about pageants, like Miss America, etc.? I find them extremely boring.

Extra:
I have downloaded books onto my kindle while in my neighbor's driveway. He knew I did it I can't download anything with my internet service as I am charged by GBs every month.

Happy Thursday!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics