Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:42 PM

473 posts, read 701,424 times

Advertisements

where we live, there are MANY older people and MANY who have handicapped permits.

It gets my goat that people park in the handicapped spots without permits (obviously because the spot was open and they wanted to park!) -- and then when I complain to the owner of the parking lot (like the PUBLIC LIBRARY) they don't call the police or even suggest that! And when I call the police, I get the feeling that even though the non-emergency like is recorded, my call is going to get 'lost' -- yet if the advertised $250 fines were handed out, the word would get arround about not parking where you are 'not permitted.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 07:45 PM

I'm going to bed soon, but I wanted to include the following:

It also bothers me that people who say they love their dogs SO much (that they don't want to leave them home when the owners go shopping) wiill leave them in the car -- even with the window cracked a little for ventilation.

Here in Florida, it is AGAINST THE LAW -- but no one does anything about it.

I saw a man put his dog in the trunk of his car and go into a store -- I called the Sheriff's Department and they did come out -- but they only warned the guy, who told them he was a transient, 'not from here' (and to my mind, certain to commit the same atrocity on his poor dog again!).

My husband will return to the store and make the manager follow him out to the parking lot because of an 'emergency' when he sees a dog left in a car. He borrowed a cell phone and called the police (I was proud of him for that!) and then told the woman who returned to the car that the cops were on the way!

Last edited by Nims; 02-21-2008 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: to add a few thoughts

Old 02-21-2008, 08:21 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,909,705 times
Nims,,,, you might check in your local area for a phone number to call about the handicapped permit parking violations. Here we have a phone number with a voice messaging service, you call and provide the location of the parked car, the license number and the date and time. I assume that they send an official letter to the owner and record the information, if more then one violation is collected I would think that they would send a ticket and let them tell their story to the judge. Police generally don’t want to be writing tickets for this type of violation. It angers me as well that they don’t want to ticket this type of issue but they must feel they have better things to do. However I like the idea of the local phone number and recording unit.

Call and ask your city council person what actions should or can be taken in this violation. As for store managers they definitely don’t want to get involved with customers and parking.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:31 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,909,705 times
I checked the temperature inside my truck on a typical 110 degree day and found 185 degrees on the dashboard and 145 on the seat in the shade. I would believe that the temps in Fl. get up in the 100’s and a dog or child can’t last long inside; five minutes and they are in trouble. You should be proud of your husband and should always call the authorities.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:45 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,544,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
If your Momma still drives you to school, you ain't no gangsta,..... pull your pants up!
That is so funny and so true. There should be billboards and Public Service Announcements!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:10 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,583,823 times
Great posts! One of my 'things that need to be fixed' is: Telephones. Not the 'phones themselves, but what goes on with them anymore. I am tired of dialing any number for assistance and getting a recording asking me to make a choice and punch some number or another. I want a human on the other end. and I want that human to speak English. Last time I checked I still lived in the good ol' U.S.A. Not in India or some other country half way across the world.

I also want any directions that come with equipment, appliances, etc. to be able to be comprehended by an English speaking person. I want the correct tense, spelling, and the 'a' to go with the 'a' in the diagram, and the 'b' and so on. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:23 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,396,072 times
Oh you're right NWV!! I also hate those automated calls that say stuff like, "This is Your Final Call, Your Car Warranty is About To Expire! Press 1 To Speak To An Agent Now!" And you Can't get rid of them.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:49 AM

214 posts, read 271,130 times
Piercings don't bother me unless its overkill on the face.
But speaking of dogs, this is a big issue here in Alaska right now. People who leave their dogs chained up, outside, exposed not only to the elements but free dinner tickets to bears and especially wolfs. Then after these poor dogs are ripped to shreds the owners cry kill the wolfs, or kill the bears. These people should be held responsible for this, its cruel. If you just have to have your dogs outside then build a pen with a safety cage, if you can't do that then you don't need to have a dog in the first place. In the real rural areas here where they car about their sled dogs being attacked they try to excuse away the lack of responsibility for the dogs getting attacted by claiming they don't have the money to build a fence or put one up. I say, if your rugged enough to live in that rural of Alaska, then its easy enough to cut down trees, digs a whole and use your imagination with a couple strands of bob wire or barrier mesh, heck even fish nets, anyting..do something.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:14 AM

AsarkbeN, I tried to rep you for your suggestion about the phone number to report animals left in cars, but couldn't -- consider yourself thanked anyway.

I guess what all this boils down to is: 'Put your money where your mouth is' -- if you say you love your pets (or your spouse or your kids -- or your country) -- PROVE IT by how you act.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:27 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,367,704 times
People who smoke while holding a baby or toddler. I don't like people smoking around children period, but that takes the biscuit for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics