Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 05:41 AM

126,540 posts, read 19,292,982 times

Advertisements

~ Where you shop for groceries.... mostly in a larger grocery store or an Indian store. In summer straight from the farm the eggs,fruit and vegetables and the honey always from our beekeeper

What is very good about it? Going to the farm they know you by name and we chat as well as the Indian store. Larger store is just practical because it has everything

What is not good about it? Larger store is too expensive

What would you change about it, if you could? support more local farmers by selling their harvest in the store

~ You have just received a brand new Crock*Pot (slow cooker). What will you put in it to try and make your first Crock*Pot creation? I would make milk rice in it and serve it with cinnamon,cardamon and roasted almonds

~ A good bean: Cluster beans /Guar we eat them a lot and they are VERY healthy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guar

~A crappy bean: Pinto and Lime bean just don't like them

~ The last thing that you stirred was: was my Swiss Müsli I had made this morning

~ 'I have a very hard time trying to concentrate when': TV is on or too much noise

~ Name 3 states that you think it would be nice to live out in the boonies in: we DON'T have states but provinces instead so...British Columbia,Nova Scotia and Quebec

~ Free bottle of cooking/salad oil for you today! What kind would you like? Bertolli olive oil

~ You have to eat your greens or you can't leave the table! What kind of greens will you eat? green beans,steamed broccoli or baby spinach salad

~ Two frozen foods that you would eat: my homemade sherbet or ice cream or frozen yogurt or frozen grapes

~ What have you ever bought from a 'food truck'? If I ever did I do not remember

~ You are writing a poem/song of sorts...what word will you choose that sort of rhymes with "elephants"? relevant

**** Okay, dear people...have a very nice Fryday and remember to eat well this weekend or whenever you can! **** The cooler days of autumn will be here soon!

Thank you roosty,wishing everyone a lovely weekend and yes autumn is just around the corner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 05:42 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,075,392 times
Where you shop for groceries....

What is very good about it? It's familiar - open 24/7 - nearby - has what I need

What is not good about it? Sometimes the people working there become too familiar EX: one of them needed a place to live for a month and knew all about where I lived and the amount of space I had and felt free to ask to move in for a month; one of the checkers lived a block from me and had been in my house and shared all she knew with everyone else there; I recommended that the person that needed a spot for a month ask the other woman - also single w/3BRs and not a total stranger

~ You have just received a brand new Crock*Pot (slow cooker). What will you put in it to try and make your first Crock*Pot creation? Soup

~ A good bean: white northern bean

~A crappy bean: black bean - turns everything black

~ The last thing that you stirred was: fertilizer in a bucket

~ 'I have a very hard time trying to concentrate when': When the dogs/cat are hungry (cat jumps on the computer & scratches my pants; dogs stare with those soulful eyes

~ Name 3 states that you think it would be nice to live out in the boonies in: CO

~ Free bottle of cooking/salad oil for you today! What kind would you like? high quality EVOO

~ You have to eat your greens or you can't leave the table! What kind of greens will you eat? spinach/broccoli

~ Two frozen foods that you would eat: Ice cream; fruit

~ What have you ever bought from a 'food truck'? Popcorn

~ You are writing a poem/song of sorts...what word will you choose that sort of rhymes with "elephants"? elegant

**** Okay, dear people...have a very nice Fryday and remember to eat well this weekend or whenever you can! **** The cooler days of autumn will be here soon!

Old 07-22-2016, 05:57 AM

7,448 posts, read 5,553,817 times
Where you shop for groceries[/i].... Mostly at Hyvee

What is very good about it? Large store. Good selection. Friendly staff

What is not good about it? Sometimes they run out of items that are in their sales flyer

What would you change about it, if you could? Lower prices

~ You have just received a brand new Crock*Pot (slow cooker). What will you put in it to try and make your first Crock*Pot creation? Crock pot Mac and cheese

~ A good bean: garden green beans

~A crappy bean: black or kidney

~ The last thing that you stirred was: soup

~ 'I have a very hard time trying to concentrate when': their is very loud music

~ Name 3 states that you think it would be nice to live out in the boonies in: California, Arizona, Florida

~ Free bottle of cooking/salad oil for you today! What kind would you like? Anything with garlic in it

~ You have to eat your greens or you can't leave the table! What kind of greens will you eat? Collard or spinach

~ Two frozen foods that you would eat: pizza. Ice cream

~ What have you ever bought from a 'food truck'? Tacos

~ You are writing a poem/song of sorts...what word will you choose that sort of rhymes with "elephants"? Miliphants

**** Okay, dear people...have a very nice Fryday and remember to eat well this weekend or whenever you can! **** The cooler days of autumn will be here soon! [/quote]

Old 07-22-2016, 06:12 AM

2,299 posts, read 1,448,231 times
[quote=rainroosty;44848243]~ Where you shop for groceries....

Kroger.

What is very good about it?

What is not good about it?

There's one on each side of the neighborhood. A smaller one with less, but still ok variety. On the opposite end is a larger signature store but it gets robbed sometimes.

What would you change about it, if you could?

Store 1: more variety, store 2: not get robbed.

~ You have just received a brand new Crock*Pot (slow cooker). What will you put in it to try and make your first Crock*Pot creation?

Chicken breast, onion, peppers, cilantro, fresh garlic, a can of Rotel tomatoes and a bit of Italian dressing.

Cook some brown rice on the side.

~ A good bean:

~A crappy bean:

Beans are beans. None of fantastic, none are crappy. I buy black beans often.

~ The last thing that you stirred was:

I don't know. Last night I fried a plantain in coconut oil. That was kind of stirring.

~ 'I have a very hard time trying to concentrate when':

It depends on what I'm trying to concentrate on.

If I'm sitting in a waiting area trying to read I can't do it. Uncomfortable chairs, people, activity around. Can't be done.

~ Name 3 states that you think it would be nice to live out in the boonies in:

Nevada, Hawaii, Florida. I don't know, I just threw some states out there.

~ Free bottle of cooking/salad oil for you today! What kind would you like?

I pretty much exclusively buy Italian for home.

~ You have to eat your greens or you can't leave the table! What kind of greens will you eat?

Probably spinach. I eat spinach salad several times a week. I'm not big into kale.

~ Two frozen foods that you would eat:

Right now I'm into edamame so two bags of those.

~ What have you ever bought from a 'food truck'?

No.

~ You are writing a poem/song of sorts...what word will you choose that sort of rhymes with "elephants"?

Yellatants. I made it up.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:37 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,848,265 times
Where you shop for groceries....WALMART IS THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN....I MIGHT DRIVE UP TO KENTUCKY AND GO TO KROGER BECAUSE I AM SICK OF THEIR SELECTION...

What is very good about it? MEAT IS REALLY GOOD THERE...NEVER EVER BOUGHT MEAT WHEN WE LIVED IN MICHIGAN..THOUGHT IT WAS BAD...PRICES.....NOT TOO FAR....

What is not good about it? PRODUCE BLOWS.....DON'T HAVE ALL I WANT.....

What would you change about it, if you could? BETTER PRODUCE...BIGGER SELECTION

~ You have just received a brand new Crock*Pot (slow cooker). What will you put in it to try and make your first Crock*Pot creation? SWISS STEAK

~ A good bean:MY SON

~A crappy bean:CRANBERRY BEAN

~ The last thing that you stirred was: THE POT HERE AT HOME

~ 'I have a very hard time trying to concentrate when':MY EARS RING 24/7.....IT'S GETTING WORSE

~ Name 3 states that you think it would be nice to live out in the boonies in: MICHIGAN.....WEST VIRGINA.....MONTANA

~ Free bottle of cooking/salad oil for you today! What kind would you like? SESAME

~ You have to eat your greens or you can't leave the table! What kind of greens will you eat? GIVE EM ALL TO ME...

~ Two frozen foods that you would eat: TV DINNER......COOL WHIP

~ What have you ever bought from a 'food truck'? IN HAWAII A PLATE LUNCH

~ You are writing a poem/song of sorts...what word will you choose that sort of rhymes with "elephants"? CELLOPHANCE....THE PLURAL OF CELLOPHANE....GOT A FEW ROLLS OF CELLOPHANCE IN MY PANTRY....

THANKS ROOSTY.....

**** Okay, dear peo

Old 07-22-2016, 07:00 AM
Status: "Civility needs to make a return." (set 9 days ago)

4,735 posts, read 3,307,556 times
~ Where you shop for groceries..............Walmart Supercenter, Aldi and IGA

What is very good about it?......................There's nothing special about any of them.

What is not good about it?.................The lack variety in all of our local stores.

What would you change about it, if you could?...............Drive up service to load your groceries. The IGA has it and it's great!

~ You have just received a brand new Crock*Pot (slow cooker). What will you put in it to try and make your first Crock*Pot creation?................My much loved Italian beef.

~ A good bean:..............Green bean and black beans.

~A crappy bean:.........Kidney

~ The last thing that you stirred was:...........Vegetable stir fry.

~ 'I have a very hard time trying to concentrate when':...............A baby cries.

~ Name 3 states that you think it would be nice to live out in the boonies in:..........Tennessee, North Carolina and South Carolina.

~ Free bottle of cooking/salad oil for you today! What kind would you like?...........Olive oil

~ You have to eat your greens or you can't leave the table! What kind of greens will you eat?..............Fresh spinach.

~ Two frozen foods that you would eat:...............Ice cream and smoothies.

~ What have you ever bought from a 'food truck'?...............Just fair type food and drinks.

~ You are writing a poem/song of sorts...what word will you choose that sort of rhymes with "elephants"?..........Dead ants........dead ants.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:23 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,142,842 times
~ Where you shop for groceries.... Online mostly, Sainsbury's being my store of choice

Good range of quality products, not always cheap though. Great delivery service as well. I could go to cheaper stores, but the choices in goods are limited.

What is not good about it? Expensive generally. And sometimes if I visit my local store, it can get very busy, especially at the checkouts, not of all which are manned, even at peak times!

What would you change about it, if you could? The local stores I use have quite small carparks that can barely keep up with demand. So I'd try to expand on that; as well as make sure the checkouts are manned at peak times

~ You have just received a brand new Crock*Pot (slow cooker). What will you put in it to try and make your first Crock*Pot creation? No idea. Don't even know what they are? (blame my youth on that score)

~ A good bean: Baked

~A crappy bean: Kidney. My digestive system just doesn't get on with kidney beans

~ The last thing that you stirred was: Mugshot soup

~ 'I have a very hard time trying to concentrate when': I have to multi-task and everything is a priority and management constantly badger me for progress reports.

~ Free bottle of cooking/salad oil for you today! What kind would you like? FryLight Sunflower Oil

~ You have to eat your greens or you can't leave the table! What kind of greens will you eat?
Anything other than Brussel Sprouts!

~ Two frozen foods that you would eat: Bird's Eye Cod Fish Fingers; Sainsbury's frozen curries

~ What have you ever bought from a 'food truck'? never used one

~ You are writing a poem/song of sorts...what word will you choose that sort of rhymes with "elephants"?
"Do you like my Implants!"

Thanks, Roosty!

Old 07-22-2016, 07:29 AM

4,055 posts, read 2,931,547 times
~ Where you shop for groceries.... Albertsons.

What is very good about it? It's about two minutes away -- no traffic lights!

What is not good about it? Can't think of anything, but then again, I'm not a super-fussy shopper.

What would you change about it, if you could? I like it just the way it is.

~ You have just received a brand new Crock*Pot (slow cooker). What will you put in it to try and make your first Crock*Pot creation? I make a pretty good ham and scalloped potato dish so I'll go with that.

~ A good bean: String

~A crappy bean: Kidney

~ The last thing that you stirred was: Coffee grounds -- I mix flavored ground with regular in a large clip-top container.

~ 'I have a very hard time trying to concentrate when': I'm hungry.

~ Name 3 states that you think it would be nice to live out in the boonies in: New York, Oregon, Wyoming.

~ Free bottle of cooking/salad oil for you today! What kind would you like? EVO thanks.

~ You have to eat your greens or you can't leave the table! What kind of greens will you eat? Asparagus thanks.

~ Two frozen foods that you would eat: Peas and pizza.

~ What have you ever bought from a 'food truck'? Coffee and a mince pie.

~ You are writing a poem/song of sorts...what word will you choose that sort of rhymes with "elephants"? Smelly pants!

Thanks Mr. Roosty and happy day everyone!

Old 07-22-2016, 08:03 AM

44,475 posts, read 20,273,814 times
~ Where you shop for groceries....

What is very good about it? The prices are better at my usual supermarket than at most other stores in the area. The value is the best because the couple of places that are cheaper (such as Wally World) do not have the same quality of food, especially fresh produce. I like that my store has wide, uncluttered aisles and a huge selection of stuff to choose from. The meat department is pretty good, too.

What is not good about it? The food's not free.

What would you change about it, if you could? I'd like a better selection of fresh beef. It's a really good store, so I'm hard pressed to find something to criticize.

~ You have just received a brand new Crock*Pot (slow cooker). What will you put in it to try and make your first Crock*Pot creation? A pork roast, garlic powder and a small amount of water; cover and cook on high for 3.5 hours. When the meat is done, I'll add a generous amount of K C Masterpiece bbq sauce and cook it a while longer for another 30 minutes. Voila! Pulled pork. YUM!

~ A good bean: Baby lima.

~A crappy bean: Popcorn-flavored jelly bean. Yep, Jelly Belly makes them and they're truly awful. I tried them at my town's annual Popcorn Festival a number of years ago. They tasted so bad that I spit them out. Yuck.

Now, if I have to answer about real beans, I'll say "none." I never tasted a bean I didn't like.

~ The last thing that you stirred was: A packet of no sugar added Instant Breakfast into a glass of skim milk.

~ 'I have a very hard time trying to concentrate when': Commercials come on the radio. That's why I don't listen to the radio while I'm at work.

~ Name 3 states that you think it would be nice to live out in the boonies in: Minnesota, Michigan, Vermont.

~ Free bottle of cooking/salad oil for you today! What kind would you like? Ooooo, a really expensive bottle of pure extra virgin olive oil, please.

~ You have to eat your greens or you can't leave the table! What kind of greens will you eat? Fresh baby spinach, green and red leaf lettuce, fresh herbs, broccoli florets, celery. Hey - that's what I'll be having for lunch today!

~ Two frozen foods that you would eat: Not sure whether this is a trick question. If I eat something that's frozen, it'll be ice cream or sorbet. If I eat something that I purchase frozen and then cook, I'll choose Matlaw's stuffed clams and Orca Bay ahi tuna.

~ What have you ever bought from a 'food truck'? Junk food at county fairs, such as deep fried veggies, funnel cakes and corn dogs. When I was a kid I occasionally bought a frozen treat from an ice cream truck.

~ You are writing a poem/song of sorts...what word will you choose that sort of rhymes with "elephants"? Relevant is the best I can come up with.

A couple once went to a zoo
To see reptiles and crustaceans, too.
"But that is an elephant;
It's highly irrelevant!"
Said Tom to his girlfriend, Sue.

"But all snakes and lobsters are dumb,"
Said Sue, "as a rule of thumb."
Pachyderms are so cute,
And they're smarter to boot!
Let's just leave it at that, my dear chum!"

**** Okay, dear people...have a very nice Fryday and remember to eat well this weekend or whenever you can! **** The cooler days of autumn will be here soon! Yes - Happy, happy Fryday everybody!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-23-2016 at 12:24 AM..

Old 07-22-2016, 08:31 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,242,090 times
~ Where you shop for groceries....

What is not good about it?

What would you change about it, if you could?
N/A, I don't do it in the house.

~ You have just received a brand new Crock*Pot (slow cooker). What will you put in it to try and make your first Crock*Pot creation?
Don't know, I don't use one, nor have any idea what you would use one for.

~ A good bean:
None I've ever had

~A crappy bean:
Can't say I've had any of those either

~ The last thing that you stirred was:
Haven't done this in a long time

~ 'I have a very hard time trying to concentrate when':
The faucet is dripping

~ Name 3 states that you think it would be nice to live out in the boonies in:
Parts of my home state, Maryland, would be nice. Virginia and West Virginia also fit the bill.

~ Free bottle of cooking/salad oil for you today! What kind would you like?
N/A, don't use it.

I guess I'll be stuck at the table for the rest of my life then!

~ Two frozen foods that you would eat:
The only thing I can think of that counts is ice.

~ What have you ever bought from a 'food truck'?
Nothing. They have some nice ones in Baltimore, but most of the ones I've seen are quite sketchy looking. One that I saw earlier this year was also selling rims for your car.

Swell, it fits!

After today's QOTD, I'm happy to say that I'm retaining my title of pickiest eater on C-D!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics