Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 08:45 PM

21,555 posts, read 8,736,124 times

Advertisements

Greetings and welcome to the question of the day for Sunday, July 17, 2016. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Cancer. Some famous people who share your birthday are entrepreneur and first U.S. multimillionaire John Jacob Astor, pulp fiction author Erle Stanley Gardiner (“Perry Mason”); comedienne Phyllis Diller; jazz musician and composer Vince Guaraldi; German chancellor Angela Merkel; HRH Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall; actress-singer Diahann Carroll; actors James Cagney, Donald Sutherland and David Hasselhoff; country singers Luke Bryan and Craig Morgan; and hockey player Ryan Miller.

Today’s Question:
We all have challenges. Mine are losing weight, learning to be more assertive and dealing with anxiety, hearing loss and insomnia. What are yours?

Bonus Question:
What was one of the naughtiest things you ever did as a child or as an adult? Did you get caught? Were you punished, or did you get off with a warning?

Just For Fun:
What did you do last week that was the most fun? The least fun?

Today in History:
180 – Twelve inhabitants of Scillium in Northern Africa are executed for being Christians. This is the earliest record of Christianity in that part of the world.
1212 – Muslim rulers of the southern Iberian peninsula are crushed in the Spanish crusades.
1402 – Zhu Di, also known as the Yongle Emperor, assumes the throne over the Ming Dynasty in China.
1429 – Hundred Years’ War: Charles VII is crowned King of France in the Reims Cathedral after a successful campaign by Joan of Arc.
1453 – France defeats England at Castillon, France, which ends the Hundred Years’ War.
1717 – Handel’s Water Music is performed for the first time with 50 musicians serenading King George I of Great Britain on a barge journey down the Thames.
1762 – Catherine II becomes Tsar of Russia upon the murder of Peter III of Russia.
1815 –Napoleon Bonaparte surrenders to the British at Rochefort, France.
1821 – Spain cedes Florida to the United States.
1866 – Authorization is given to build a tunnel under the Chicago River, a three-year project that will cost $512,709.
1902 Willis Carrier creates the first air conditioner in Buffalo, New York.
1917 – The British royal family adopts the name Windsor.
1941 The longest hitting streak in baseball history comes to an end when the Cleveland Indians hold Joe DiMaggio hitless for the first time in 57 games.
1944 – Port Chicago disaster: Two ships laden with ammunition explode on the San Francisco Bay near Richmond, California, killing 320.
1945 – U.S. President Truman, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill and Soviet leader Josef Stalin begin meetings in Potsdam in the final Allied summit of World War II.
1946 – Chinese communists open a drive against the Nationalist army on the Yangtze River.
1955 – Disneyland opens in Anaheim, California.
1959 – Jazz singer Billie Holiday dies in a New York hospital at the age of 44.
1960 – Francis Gary Powers pleads guilty in a Moscow court to spying after his U-2 spy plane is shot down over the U.S.S.R.
1975 – An Apollo spaceship docks with a Soyuz spacecraft in orbit, the first link up between the U.S. and Soviet Union.
1981 – A structural failure leads to the collapse of a pedestrian walkway at the Hyatt Regency in Kansas City, Missouri, killing 114 and injuring more than 200.
1996 – TWA Flight 800, a 747 en route to Paris from New York explodes over Long Island Sound, killing all 230 on board.
2006 – An earthquake and tsunami on the island of Java in Indonesia kills 668 and leaves more than 9,000 injured.

Word of the Day:
vouchsafe
vouCHˈsāf,ˈvouCHˌsāf/
verb
1. give or grant (something) to (someone) in a gracious or condescending manner.
Example: "It is a blessing vouchsafed him by heaven."
2. reveal or disclose (information)
"You'd never vouchsafed that interesting tidbit before."

Quote of the Day:
“Human experience long ago taught us that if we allow a man or a group of men autocratic powers in government or church, they use that power to oppress and defraud the public.”
-- Ida Tarbell

Today Is:
National Ice Cream Day
Peach Ice Cream Day
Yellow Pig Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 09:04 PM

44,371 posts, read 20,080,080 times
Greetings and welcome to the question of the day for Sunday, July 17, 2016. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Cancer. Some famous people who share your birthday are entrepreneur and first U.S. multimillionaire John Jacob Astor, pulp fiction author Erle Stanley Gardiner (“Perry Mason”); comedienne Phyllis Diller; jazz musician and composer Vince Guaraldi; German chancellor Angela Merkel; HRH Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall; actress-singer Diahann Carroll; actors James Cagney, Donald Sutherland and David Hasselhoff; country singers Luke Bryan and Craig Morgan; and hockey player Ryan Miller.

Today’s Question:
We all have challenges. Mine are losing weight, learning to be more assertive and dealing with anxiety, hearing loss and insomnia. What are yours? My challenges also include learning to be more assertive, as well as learning to say no sometimes and not feel guilty about it. Oh yeah, and weight loss is always a challenge, though I've been doing well at it lately.

Bonus Question:What was one of the naughtiest things you ever did as a child or as an adult? Did you get caught? Were you punished, or did you get off with a warning? I used to ride my bike to a place that was strictly verboten by my parents. It was a swampy area with a creek running through it, lots of trees, weeds, poison ivy and poison sumac, etc. It was called Prott's Ditch. (I believe the property owner's name was Prott.) I'd go there with friends when I was a little kid (elementary school age). I'd end up all muddy and/or scratched up and when I got home my mom would give me a spanking with a wooden spoon. (She didn't hit hard, and the spankings were always worth it for the adventures I'd had that day. )

Just For Fun:
What did you do last week that was the most fun? Went with several friends to a fantastic restaurant in Frankfort, Illinois. Chef Klaus' Bier Stube, German Restaurant, German American Cuisine There were five of us, and we ordered the Platter Dinner for 6 people (see menu). It was phenomenal! We had so much fun. The food was delicious, the server excellent and funny, and the alcohol flowed. The least fun? Work.

Word of the Day:
vouchsafe
vouCHˈsāf,ˈvouCHˌsāf/
verb
1. give or grant (something) to (someone) in a gracious or condescending manner.
Example: "It is a blessing vouchsafed him by heaven."
2. reveal or disclose (information)
"You'd never vouchsafed that interesting tidbit before."

Quote of the Day:
“Human experience long ago taught us that if we allow a man or a group of men autocratic powers in government or church, they use that power to oppress and defraud the public.”
-- Ida Tarbell

Today Is:
National Ice Cream Day Yay!
Peach Ice Cream Day Nay. I prefer vanilla or chocolate.
Yellow Pig Day Fun!

Happy Sunday, everybody.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-16-2016 at 09:17 PM..

Old 07-16-2016, 09:39 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,557,742 times
Today’s Question:
We all have challenges. Mine are losing weight, learning to be more assertive and dealing with anxiety, hearing loss and insomnia. What are yours? Convincing my wife I CAN fix things around the house without her calling her son or son-in-law from 50 miles away

Bonus Question:
What was one of the naughtiest things you ever did as a child or as an adult? Did you get caught? Were you punished, or did you get off with a warning? I was 5 years old when I put our two kittens in the clothes dryer. I thought it was neat,at the time, watching them tumbling around. How was I supposed to know it would kill them? Was I punished? Let's just say I had trouble sitting down for a while that night!

Just For Fun:
What did you do last week that was the most fun? The least fun? I guess most fun was going fishing. Didn't catch anything but, with everything going on at home, it was nice just to have some free time. The least fun was having to look for work at 60 years old! Not too many places want to hire a 60 year old fat man!

Old 07-16-2016, 09:46 PM

44,637 posts, read 61,661,969 times
Hi...
Today’s Question:
We all have challenges. Mine are losing weight, learning to be more assertive and dealing with anxiety, hearing loss and insomnia. What are yours? Taking care of the spouse who has Multiple Sclerosis and dealing with my severe arthritis.

Bonus Question:
What was one of the naughtiest things you ever did as a child or as an adult? Skinny dipping in a river with a group of other school kids.
Did you get caught? Yes, by the Forest Ranger.
Were you punished, or did you get off with a warning? Just a warning.

Just For Fun:
What did you do last week that was the most fun? Go out to dinner.
The least fun? Paying bills.

Bay

Old 07-16-2016, 09:53 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,008,081 times
Today’s Question:
We all have challenges. Mine are losing weight, learning to be more assertive and dealing with anxiety, hearing loss and insomnia. What are yours?
My biggest challenge is finding that perfect piece of stinky cheese.

Bonus Question:.
What was one of the naughtiest things you ever did as a child or as an adult? Did you get caught? Were you punished, or did you get off with a warning?
When I was twelve I would bum airplane rides from complete strangers. Never got brave enough to ever tell my mom.

Just For Fun:
What did you do last week that was the most fun? The least fun?
Most fun was taking a nap. Lest fun was getting up from the nap sooner than I wanted

Old 07-16-2016, 11:28 PM

38,915 posts, read 22,923,152 times
Today’s Question:
We all have challenges. Mine are losing weight, learning to be more assertive and dealing with anxiety, hearing loss and insomnia. What are yours? Getting enough exercise and eating a healthy diet.

Bonus Question:
What was one of the naughtiest things you ever did as a child or as an adult? When I was in kindergarten, I joined a few other boys in throwing sand at some girl climbing the monkey bars.
Did you get caught? We sure did.
Were you punished, or did you get off with a warning? I can't remember but I'm sure all our parents were informed.

Just For Fun:
What did you do last week that was the most fun? Go to the barber, then go out for lunch. The least fun? Grocery shopping--at Costco, but thankfully I got there before the crowd did.

Today in History:
1955 – Disneyland opens in Anaheim, California. "The Happiest Place on Earth." Going there ANY day of the week is super crowded!

Have a super Sunday!

Old 07-16-2016, 11:40 PM
bjh

60,098 posts, read 30,421,372 times
Today’s Question:
Several serious issues that I cope with daily for myself and for family members, but I prefer not to share details here. I come to CD to have fun, not wallowing nor
manipulating others to gain sympathy. (I'm not saying that's what's intended here.) Let's just say life is a challenge no matter who you are.

Bonus Question:
What was one of the naughtiest things you ever did as a child or as an adult?
I want to say defending myself from a bully in school. But that was self-defense.
Did you get caught?
Sort of. A teacher heard the scuffle and came out in the hall to ask what was going on. I shouted at her,
"ask the guy who attacked me" and, since it was the end of the day, I left for home.

Were you punished, or did you get off with a warning?
No idea what the teacher did or said to the other guy. I never heard anything else about it. Years later in college he apologized for attacking me.

Just For Fun:
What did you do last week that was the most fun? Chilled out online.
The least fun? Being sick from Wednesday to Friday. I'm okay now.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:08 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,025,668 times
Greetings and welcome to the question of the day for Sunday, July 17, 2016.
Today’s Question:
We all have challenges. Mine are losing weight, learning to be more assertive and dealing with anxiety, hearing loss and insomnia. What are yours? Staying focused on a given task. I have never been like this - use to run 5 projects at a time and could focus on each one as needed. Now, I find myself going to do something and getting sidetracked so easy. Today I was going to attack the crab grass that has started in my front yard with all the mess out there. Got the spray stuff, gloves, walked to the front -'Oh my flowers need watering" - dropped the crab grass stuff and start watering - "Oh that bush looks bad" go to get the bucket & fertilizer for the bush. Went to the back yard to water something and remembered I never did "get" the crab grass. Back to the front~~~~~~yep, weed killer sitting in the middle of the driveway Never use to do this stuff.

Bonus Question:
What was one of the naughtiest things you ever did as a child or as an adult? Did you get caught? Were you punished, or did you get off with a warning? I had just moved to a new town and hooked up with a very nasty girl (I didn't know this at the time). The paper boy use to yell things at us so one day she went and grabbed his arm and swung him around and around til his papers were all flying everywhere and then she laughed and laughed and I joined in. He started crying - I felt terrible - the nasty girl loved it. We didn't remain friends. Nothing happened to us - if he told anyone we never heard about it.

Just For Fun:
What did you do last week that was the most fun? A friend retired so a bunch of us went to a new restaurant by one of the city lakes. Good food - good company. The least fun? Gave the mutts a grooming (really hate that job).

Today in History:
Busy day is history!

Quote of the Day:
-- Ida Tarbell

Today Is:
National Ice Cream Day
Peach Ice Cream Day
Yellow Pig Day Huh?

Old 07-17-2016, 01:23 AM

21,555 posts, read 8,736,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post

Today Is:
Yellow Pig Day Huh?
Here you go:
National Pig Day and Yellow Pig Day at Holiday Insights

Old 07-17-2016, 01:44 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,118,999 times
Today’s Question:
We all have challenges. Mine are losing weight, learning to be more assertive and dealing with anxiety, hearing loss and insomnia. What are yours? At present my challenges are relatively superficial: I am a long distance runner and competitor, so always beating personal bests is a constant challenge; but I guess also succeeding in my career trumps everything else because having a good job usually equates to earning good money, which makes daily life a little easier when it comes to paying bills and staying ahead of the game, so to speak,

Bonus Question:
What was one of the naughtiest things you ever did as a child or as an adult?
As a child I would say putting Super Glue all over the chair seat of my most-hated teacher prior to his arrival for class! Such a hoot when he sat down and couldn't get back up again!

Did you get caught?
Inevitably I got the blame thanks to some snivelling little goody-two-shoes classmate!

Were you punished, or did you get off with a warning?
I got a telling off and a week's suspension. Defiintely worth it though, lol

Just For Fun:
What did you do last week that was the most fun? Went to a night club - drank, danced, sang, laughed, drank some more... repeat for next 6 hours
The least fun? Oh the usual "monthly" problem all women face

Nice questions. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics