Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 10:11 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,895,838 times

Advertisements

[quote=Bayarea4;44785515]Greetings and welcome to the question of the day for Sunday, July 17, 2016. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Cancer. Some famous people who share your birthday are entrepreneur and first U.S. multimillionaire John Jacob Astor, pulp fiction author Erle Stanley Gardiner (“Perry Mason”); comedienne Phyllis Diller; jazz musician and composer Vince Guaraldi; German chancellor Angela Merkel; HRH Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall; actress-singer Diahann Carroll; actors James Cagney, Donald Sutherland and David Hasselhoff; country singers Luke Bryan and Craig Morgan; and hockey player Ryan Miller.

Today’s Question:
We all have challenges. Mine are losing weight, learning to be more assertive and dealing with anxiety, hearing loss and insomnia. What are yours?
Giving up sugar. Then I wouldn't have that big belly.
Bonus Question:
What was one of the naughtiest things you ever did as a child or as an adult? Did you get caught? Were you punished, or did you get off with a warning?

As a child I changed a grade on my report card from a D to a C. Yes I got away with it As an adult Do you have all day? Seriously, I'm a very honest nice person. Even if I was a bit of a wild child in my early years.
Just For Fun:
What did you do last week that was the most fun? The least fun?
Least fun: stripping the decks with the power washer and stripper. I still have chemical burns on my legs. Most fun: A toss up between dinner and listening to live 20's jazz with our neighbors, Lucille's birthday dinner, and finally being able to talk to my two favorite police officers on the night shift in our town after a year of not seeing them. I don't go to the park much because I don't want to run into Mr. Crabby Pants mean alcoholic who hates me for some unknown reason. If I knew his schedule I could schedule my night rides around his days off.
Today in History:
180 – Twelve inhabitants of Scillium in Northern Africa are executed for being Christians. This is the earliest record of Christianity in that part of the world.
1212 – Muslim rulers of the southern Iberian peninsula are crushed in the Spanish crusades.
1402 – Zhu Di, also known as the Yongle Emperor, assumes the throne over the Ming Dynasty in China.
1429 – Hundred Years’ War: Charles VII is crowned King of France in the Reims Cathedral after a successful campaign by Joan of Arc.
1453 – France defeats England at Castillon, France, which ends the Hundred Years’ War.
1717 – Handel’s Water Music is performed for the first time with 50 musicians serenading King George I of Great Britain on a barge journey down the Thames.
1762 – Catherine II becomes Tsar of Russia upon the murder of Peter III of Russia.
1815 –Napoleon Bonaparte surrenders to the British at Rochefort, France.
1821 – Spain cedes Florida to the United States.
1866 – Authorization is given to build a tunnel under the Chicago River, a three-year project that will cost $512,709.
1902 Willis Carrier creates the first air conditioner in Buffalo, New York.
1917 – The British royal family adopts the name Windsor.
1941 The longest hitting streak in baseball history comes to an end when the Cleveland Indians hold Joe DiMaggio hitless for the first time in 57 games.
1944 – Port Chicago disaster: Two ships laden with ammunition explode on the San Francisco Bay near Richmond, California, killing 320.
1945 – U.S. President Truman, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill and Soviet leader Josef Stalin begin meetings in Potsdam in the final Allied summit of World War II.
1946 – Chinese communists open a drive against the Nationalist army on the Yangtze River.
1955 – Disneyland opens in Anaheim, California.
1959 – Jazz singer Billie Holiday dies in a New York hospital at the age of 44.
1960 – Francis Gary Powers pleads guilty in a Moscow court to spying after his U-2 spy plane is shot down over the U.S.S.R.
1975 – An Apollo spaceship docks with a Soyuz spacecraft in orbit, the first link up between the U.S. and Soviet Union.
1981 – A structural failure leads to the collapse of a pedestrian walkway at the Hyatt Regency in Kansas City, Missouri, killing 114 and injuring more than 200.
1996 – TWA Flight 800, a 747 en route to Paris from New York explodes over Long Island Sound, killing all 230 on board.
2006 – An earthquake and tsunami on the island of Java in Indonesia kills 668 and leaves more than 9,000 injured.

Word of the Day:
vouchsafe
vouCHˈsāf,ˈvouCHˌsāf/
verb
1. give or grant (something) to (someone) in a gracious or condescending manner.
Example: "It is a blessing vouchsafed him by heaven."
2. reveal or disclose (information)
"You'd never vouchsafed that interesting tidbit before."

Quote of the Day:
“Human experience long ago taught us that if we allow a man or a group of men autocratic powers in government or church, they use that power to oppress and defraud the public.”
-- Ida Tarbell

Today Is:
National Ice Cream Day Shhhh don't tell John.
Peach Ice Cream Day
Yellow Pig Day

Thanks Bay. It's just on the news that 3 police officers may have been killed in Baton Rouge. Horrifying

Last edited by animalcrazy; 07-17-2016 at 10:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 11:01 AM

6,903 posts, read 7,693,660 times
Today’s Question:
We all have challenges. Mine are losing weight, learning to be more assertive and dealing with anxiety, hearing loss and insomnia. What are yours?
Figuring out how to be more social and meet more people and try to make friends. And I'm clear now that my lifelong challenge has been how to stick to activities that I find difficult in various ways. Losing weight is just a lost cause, I think. Oh - wait! Should I stick to trying to lose weight even though it's difficult?

Bonus Question:
What was one of the naughtiest things you ever did as a child or as an adult? Did you get caught? Were you punished, or did you get off with a warning? I can't remember being very naughty. All I can think of is that I read in bed under the covers with a flashlight after I was supposed to be asleep, and yes, I did often get caught and talked to. I do remember being spanked, but can't remember why. Just for general whininess, I think. I also was a biter when very young - I bit several other kids, which had long term repercussions with the kids I went to school with all the way through high school!

Just For Fun:
What did you do last week that was the most fun? Went to an art festival. I enjoyed seeing the crafts and people watching and having random conversations with strangers. I found one artist and recognized his work - I had bought two of his watercolors when I lived in Northern MN and went to an art festival there! I bought two more of his watercolors here, too - so pretty! The least fun? There were WAY too many people at the art festival - I'm not used to being in crowds anymore and I got pretty claustrophobic and tired from being squashed among my fellow humans. I moved to South Dakota to get away from crowds!

Thanks, Bay! I wish I was in your cool coastal location right about now.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:43 AM

15,443 posts, read 21,510,447 times
Today’s Question:
We all have challenges. Mine are losing weight, learning to be more assertive and dealing with anxiety, hearing loss and insomnia. What are yours? Aging stinks! Probably hearing and sight loss. For me several things about getting old is a growing challenge. However, I'm looking forward to the finish line.

Bonus Question:
What was one of the naughtiest things you ever did as a child or as an adult? So much and so many times. What comes to mind though is getting into a fist fight with my neighbor Freddy Gene as an early teen.

Did you get caught? Nope. It was on a rural dirt farm road so they let us fight to the finish.

Were you punished, or did you get off with a warning? Yes. I lost badly and Freddy Gene put several knots on my head. I never tried a stupid stunt like that again.

Just For Fun:
What did you do last week that was the most fun? Not many fun things going on around this farm these days. I can't think of anything.

The least fun? Probably repair a tractor flat tire. I'm still working on it.

Good questions Bay. Thanks for your time.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:20 PM

576 posts, read 426,039 times
Today’s Question:
We all have challenges. Mine are losing weight, learning to be more assertive and dealing with anxiety, hearing loss and insomnia. What are yours? Also losing weight and being a poor sleeper, I suppose being less paranoid and more ambitious are another two.

Bonus Question:
What was one of the naughtiest things you ever did as a child or as an adult? Did you get caught? Were you punished, or did you get off with a warning? Can't think of anything specific though me and my brother and sister always fought with each other when we were kids (get on fine with each other now)

Just For Fun:
What did you do last week that was the most fun? The least fun? most fun was meeting a friend I hadn't seen in a few years , least fun was replacing a leaking liquid cooling system in my PC

Thanks for the questions BayArea, hope everyone's having a great weekend

Old 07-17-2016, 02:48 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,251,106 times
Greetings and welcome to the question of the day for Sunday, July 17, 2016. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Cancer. Some famous people who share your birthday are entrepreneur and first U.S. multimillionaire John Jacob Astor, pulp fiction author Erle Stanley Gardiner (“Perry Mason”); comedienne Phyllis Diller; jazz musician and composer Vince Guaraldi; German chancellor Angela Merkel; HRH Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall; actress-singer Diahann Carroll; actors James Cagney, Donald Sutherland and David Hasselhoff; country singers Luke Bryan and Craig Morgan; and hockey player Ryan Miller.

Today’s Question:
Dealing witht the family women.
Bonus Question:
What was one of the naughtiest things you ever did as a child or as an adult? Did you get caught? Were you punished, or did you get off with a warning?

Just For Fun:

Today in History:
180 – Twelve inhabitants of Scillium in Northern Africa are executed for being Christians. This is the earliest record of Christianity in that part of the world.
1212 – Muslim rulers of the southern Iberian peninsula are crushed in the Spanish crusades.
1402 – Zhu Di, also known as the Yongle Emperor, assumes the throne over the Ming Dynasty in China.
1429 – Hundred Years’ War: Charles VII is crowned King of France in the Reims Cathedral after a successful campaign by Joan of Arc.
1453 – France defeats England at Castillon, France, which ends the Hundred Years’ War.
1717 – Handel’s Water Music is performed for the first time with 50 musicians serenading King George I of Great Britain on a barge journey down the Thames.
1762 – Catherine II becomes Tsar of Russia upon the murder of Peter III of Russia.
1815 –Napoleon Bonaparte surrenders to the British at Rochefort, France.
1821 – Spain cedes Florida to the United States.
1866 – Authorization is given to build a tunnel under the Chicago River, a three-year project that will cost $512,709.
1902 Willis Carrier creates the first air conditioner in Buffalo, New York.
1917 – The British royal family adopts the name Windsor.
1941 The longest hitting streak in baseball history comes to an end when the Cleveland Indians hold Joe DiMaggio hitless for the first time in 57 games.
1944 – Port Chicago disaster: Two ships laden with ammunition explode on the San Francisco Bay near Richmond, California, killing 320.
1945 – U.S. President Truman, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill and Soviet leader Josef Stalin begin meetings in Potsdam in the final Allied summit of World War II.
1946 – Chinese communists open a drive against the Nationalist army on the Yangtze River.
1955 – Disneyland opens in Anaheim, California.
1959 – Jazz singer Billie Holiday dies in a New York hospital at the age of 44.
1960 – Francis Gary Powers pleads guilty in a Moscow court to spying after his U-2 spy plane is shot down over the U.S.S.R.
1975 – An Apollo spaceship docks with a Soyuz spacecraft in orbit, the first link up between the U.S. and Soviet Union.
1981 – A structural failure leads to the collapse of a pedestrian walkway at the Hyatt Regency in Kansas City, Missouri, killing 114 and injuring more than 200.
1996 – TWA Flight 800, a 747 en route to Paris from New York explodes over Long Island Sound, killing all 230 on board.
2006 – An earthquake and tsunami on the island of Java in Indonesia kills 668 and leaves more than 9,000 injured.

Word of the Day:
vouchsafe
vouCHˈsāf,ˈvouCHˌsāf/
verb
1. give or grant (something) to (someone) in a gracious or condescending manner.
Example: "It is a blessing vouchsafed him by heaven."
2. reveal or disclose (information)
"You'd never vouchsafed that interesting tidbit before."

Quote of the Day:
“Human experience long ago taught us that if we allow a man or a group of men autocratic powers in government or church, they use that power to oppress and defraud the public.”
-- Ida Tarbell

Today Is:
National Ice Cream Day
Peach Ice Cream Day
Yellow Pig Day
Thanks Bay! Nice job!

Old 07-17-2016, 03:23 PM

8,009 posts, read 5,461,763 times
Today’s Question:
We all have challenges. Mine are losing weight, learning to be more assertive and dealing with anxiety, hearing loss and insomnia. What are yours?Need to stop worrying, I am a bit out of control with it lately, it wakes me up.

Bonus Question:
What was one of the naughtiest things you ever did as a child or as an adult? Did you get caught? Were you punished, or did you get off with a warning? I was in the 4th grade. After recess a girl told me not to go back to class with her and instead hide somewhere for awhile. Not sure how long that awhile was now. All I remember is going back into the classroom and Sister Francis coming right at me and the other girl and taking us to the Principal. I had no idea that I had done something wrong. (Oddly at that time they didn't bother looking for us.) I remember the Principal asking for my home phone number to call my Mother, I thought sure I will give it to her knowing my Mother was not at home (I knew her work number but she didn't ask me if my Mother worked.) So she called home and no one answered (thought I was pretty sharp not mentioning my Mother worked). I never remember my Mother asking me about it, so I don't know if she ever found out. Nothing more came of it. I was a shy, quiet little girl and it was pretty scary moment. That was probably the first time I learned not to trust someone.

Just For Fun:
What did you do last week that was the most fun? The least fun? Last week went to my Aunt's 100 birthday celebration party--fun, fun, fun. Least fun--spending two hours after work at the VW dealer and finding out my headlight needed a part and it was going to be $149 to fix it. Love that German engineering--not!

Today Is:
National Ice Cream Day Going to have some now!
Peach Ice Cream Day I will put some fresh peaches in my ice cream!
Yellow Pig Day

Have a super duper evening!

Old 07-17-2016, 07:32 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,242,090 times
Today’s Question:
Getting started on whatever needs to be done. Getting started is a challenge for me, once I start though, I usually can't stop until it's done.
Bonus Question:
What was one of the naughtiest things you ever did as a child or as an adult?
Trying to forge a report card in middle school
Did you get caught?
Yes
Were you punished, or did you get off with a warning?
I lost the ability to use the computer for over 4 months.

Just For Fun:
Most fun: The weekend trip to Hanover, Pennsylvania for my father's bowling trip.
Least fun: Working Friday night, and finding out one of my favorite coworkers is probably not coming back. She relied on a relative who also works there to take her, but after making her wait over half an hour and never showing up when she was waiting outside her house, she decided to stop.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:07 PM

21,740 posts, read 8,880,895 times
Today’s Question:
Mine are as stated above, plus I also need to work on being more patient.
Bonus Question:
When I was eight years old, I hid under the bed because I didn't want to go to dinner at my dad's new girlfriend's house. I wanted to stay home and play with the landlady's daughter, who shared a bunk bed with me under the stairs of the boarding house we lived in. My father found me, took me upstairs to his room and gave me a good paddling. The dinner at his girlfriend's house turned out better than I'd hoped because her son had a terrarium with a snake that he let me touch.

As an adult, I once had six drinks at a bar and then drove myself home in my Volkswagen Beetle. I wanted to see how drunk I could get and still drive. I made it home without incident (I lived less than a mile away), but that was still an incredibly stupid and dangerous thing to do.

Just For Fun:
The most fun thing was driving to an old friend's house about 50 miles from here, having a fish taco lunch and admiring her brand-new remodeled kitchen. The least fun thing was going to a physical therapy appointment.

Thanks to everyone for your interesting answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics