Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 11:41 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,624,039 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

Getting busy around here, as I will be hosting our (very small) Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow! I'm always excited to see family. Even my in-laws!

So...off we go!

Today's Question(s):
Some of us have gotten our winter socks out, others of us have put them away. Which have you done?

Are you looking forward to the weather ahead? Why or why not?

Bonus Question(s):
If you are a movie fan, do you tend to like movie franchises, stand-alone movies, or does it depend on the subject?

If there is a book associated with it, would you rather just read the book, see the movie, or both?

Do specific actors attract or repel you?

Just for Fun:
Which do you prefer:
an electronic tablet, or pen and paper?
a digital watch, or an analog watch?
an e-reader, or a book?

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 2013 The Hunger Games: Catching Fire grosses $161 million in the U.S. and Canada, becoming the most successful film ever released in November
Birthday: 1972 Christina Applegate, American actress and dancer
Environment: 2010 An area in Alaska, twice the size of the United Kingdom, is protected by the U.S. Government; the area is considered a critical habitat for polar bears
Science/Technology: 1976 Viking 1 radio signal from Mars help prove general theory of relativity
Sports: 1990 78th CFL Grey Cup: Winn Blue Bombers defeat Edmonton Eskimos, 50-11

Today’s Word: fissiparous
Pronunciation: (fi-SIP-uh-ruhs)
Meaning: adjective:
1. Tending to break into parts.
2. Reproducing by biological fission.
Etymology: From Latin fissi- (cleft) + -parous (bearing, producing).
Earliest documented use: 1835.

Today is:
International Day For the Elimination of Violence Against Women Day
International Hat Day
Blase´Day
Shopping Reminder Day
Day Before Thanksgiving: Tie One On Day

Quote of the Day:
"There are a lot of sacrifices a mother makes when she's raising a child by herself. I saw it when I was growing up, watching all my mother did for me. But it wasn't until recently that I fully understood the price she paid because of how we had to struggle." ~ Christina Applegate ~

Have a good day everyone. And if you will be celebrating Thanksgiving tomorrow, drive safely, and don't eat too much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 11:44 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,251,106 times
Mornin' all!

Getting busy around here, as I will be hosting our (very small) Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow! I'm always excited to see family. Even my in-laws!

So...off we go!

Today's Question(s):
Some of us have gotten our winter socks out, others of us have put them away. Which have you done?
Same ol' socks for me... though I have had some real winter socks.

I thing a gully washer could be coming soon and then more cold. Not looking forward to either.

Bonus Question(s):
If you are a movie fan, do you tend to like movie franchises, stand-alone movies, or does it depend on the subject?
Varies greatly. I tend to watch movies over again rather than watch one i don't like or unknown. I generally prefer movies with some of my favorite actors/actresses.

If there is a book associated with it, would you rather just read the book, see the movie, or both?

Just for Fun:
Which do you prefer:
an e-reader, or a book?

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 2013 The Hunger Games: Catching Fire grosses $161 million in the U.S. and Canada, becoming the most successful film ever released in November
Environment: 2010 An area in Alaska, twice the size of the United Kingdom, is protected by the U.S. Government; the area is considered a critical habitat for polar bears
Science/Technology: 1976 Viking 1 radio signal from Mars help prove general theory of relativity
Sports: 1990 78th CFL Grey Cup: Winn Blue Bombers defeat Edmonton Eskimos, 50-11

Today is:
International Hat Day
Blase´Day
Shopping Reminder Day

Quote of the Day:
"There are a lot of sacrifices a mother makes when she's raising a child by herself. I saw it when I was growing up, watching all my mother did for me. But it wasn't until recently that I fully understood the price she paid because of how we had to struggle." ~ Christina Applegate ~

Have a good day everyone. And if you will be celebrating Thanksgiving tomorrow, drive safely, and don't eat too much!
Thanks PatCats! Happy Thanksgiving.

Last edited by SATX56; 11-24-2015 at 11:56 PM..

Old 11-24-2015, 11:46 PM

62,611 posts, read 88,705,178 times
Mornin' all!

So...off we go!

Today's Question(s):

Winter socks??? Nah, I wear them when the temps hit 0F

YES!!! Cooler weather! Winter of the century!! Let it snow, in Texas!!!

Bonus Question(s):

I like foreign movies. European, Canadian, Australian, Japanese and Chinese. Drama, thrillers or TV shows. Just about everything but a cheesy romantic comedy...

Read the book. Then MAYBE see the movie. When I read a book, most of the times, I imagine it differently than the movie producer.

Not really. However, bad acting causes switching the channel or turning the TV off ...

Just for Fun:
Which do you prefer:
an electronic tablet, or pen and paper? Gosh, depends on situation. I am still using both.
a digital watch, or an analog watch? I have both. Like both. The analog are nostalgic types I bought long time ago or inherited.
an e-reader, or a book? Definitely a book. Completely different "feeling", and easier to use, especially when I want to check on something several pages or chapters back...

Today in History:

Today is:
Spoiler

International Hat Day
Blase´Day
Shopping Reminder Day

Quote of the Day:
"There are a lot of sacrifices a mother makes when she's raising a child by herself. I saw it when I was growing up, watching all my mother did for me. But it wasn't until recently that I fully understood the price she paid because of how we had to struggle." ~ Christina Applegate ~ <<< Right!!

Thank you, PatCats
Wishing everyone a great day!!!

Last edited by elnina; 11-25-2015 at 12:04 AM..

Old 11-24-2015, 11:52 PM
bjh

60,527 posts, read 30,675,516 times
Today's Question(s):
I don't have winter socks. I have broken out the cold weather slippers, though it's not very cold yet.

Yes, I like autumn and winter.

Bonus Question(s):
Not a huge movie fan, but tend towards stand-alone movies.

Probably see the movie, if it's originally a movie. Maybe both if it's originally a book.

Some are better than others. I do think it's ridiculous to act like actors are anything other than people who "play pretend" for a living. They are not particularly skilled or wise in other fields and should not be given media attention for their naive views outside of their area of expertise.

Just for Fun:
Which do you prefer:
a digital watch, or an analog watch? Either really.
an e-reader, or a book? Book is best.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:01 AM

6,903 posts, read 7,693,660 times
Some of us have gotten our winter socks out, others of us have put them away. Which have you done? And I just went to the big city and bought two new pair today.

Are you looking forward to the weather ahead? Why or why not? I love winter. I feel better, more alert, healthier, more cheerful when it's cold. Hot weather makes me uncomfortable and bad tempered and mean. That doesn't mean that I don't get tired of Winter come late February.

Bonus Question(s):

If there is a book associated with it, would you rather just read the book, see the movie, or both? Usually the book is far better than the movie, but sometimes a movie which condenses plotting and characters gives clarity to the book.

Do specific actors attract or repel you? Oh, sure. Lots of actors repel me - Tom Cruise, Hugh Grant, Charlie Sheen, and Liam Neeson are the ones I can think of now. And I'm madly in love with Mark Duplass and Sean Bean, and also think The Rock (Dwayne Johnson) is gorgeous. I have eclectic tastes.

Just for Fun:
Which do you prefer:
an e-reader, or a book? I just can't get used to the e-reader formatting, although I'm sure I will in time.

Thanks, Pat! My computer is freezing up - let's hope this goes through!

Old 11-25-2015, 12:14 AM

44,757 posts, read 62,145,227 times
Today's Question(s):
Some of us have gotten our winter socks out, others of us have put them away. Which have you done? I have year round socks, and I wear them year round.

Are you looking forward to the weather ahead? Why or why not? Yes as we have nice weather all winter long.

Bonus Question(s):
If you are a movie fan, do you tend to like movie franchises, stand-alone movies, or does it depend on the subject? Not much of a movie fan. Have seen only 3 movies in the past 25 years.

If there is a book associated with it, would you rather just read the book, see the movie, or both? n/a

Do specific actors attract or repel you? n/a

Just for Fun:
Which do you prefer:
an e-reader, or a book?

Tanx PC

Old 11-25-2015, 12:15 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,459,642 times
Today's Question(s):

I never put them away.

Yes. I like winter weather.....and particularly so since I have retired and don't have to get out in it.

Bonus Question(s):

Makes no difference to me. I'm a movie buff and have around 2000 DVDs. I blame this on my father since we'd watch the old B&W movies on TV when I was a kid and I got hooked on them. I have all the Charlie Chan movies (Oland, Toler, Winter).

If I like the movie I make a point to read the book. However, I usually have already read the book when I see the movie. When given a choice I would rather read that watch a movie.

I love Gregory Peck.

Just for Fun:
Which do you prefer:
an e-reader, or a book?

Today in History:

Today is:
International Hat Day
Blase´Day
Shopping Reminder Day

Quote of the Day:

Have a good day everyone. And if you will be celebrating Thanksgiving tomorrow, drive safely, and don't eat too much.

Thanks, PC. Have a great rest-of-the-week.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:33 AM

21,742 posts, read 8,880,895 times
Today's Question(s):
The only socks I have are all-year-round socks, and they're always out.

After three years of drought, water conservation and five-minute showers, I am very much looking forward to all the rain we're supposed to get this winter.

Bonus Question(s):
My taste in movies mostly runs to classic films (I am watching a Clark Gable movie on TCM as I write this). None of the franchise films has ever rung my chimes, not even Star Wars, so I'll say "stand-alone movies."

I'd rather read the book first. It makes the movie more interesting, and in your mind you can fill in the details that the movie omits because of time constraints. Sometimes the movie doesn't make a lot of sense because plot points are skimmed over, but if you've read the book you understand better what is going on and why.

None repel me particularly, but I find some actors attractive (as actors, not necessarily physically) in most of the films I've seen them in, i.e. Colin Firth, John Hurt, Ellen Burstyn, Meryl Streep, Dustin Hoffman and Judi Dench.

Some of the classic film actors that I never get tired of are Clark Gable, Joan Crawford, Spencer Tracy, Laurence Olivier, Judy Garland, Fred Astaire, Audrey Hepburn and Fredric March.

Just for Fun:
Which do you prefer:
an e-reader, or a book?

Thanks, PatsCats, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited by Bayarea4; 11-25-2015 at 12:41 AM..

Old 11-25-2015, 12:34 AM

149 posts, read 168,878 times
Mornin' all!

So...off we go!

Today's Question(s):
Some of us have gotten our winter socks out, others of us have put them away. Which have you done? Winter socks are out but I haven't had to wear one pair of socks over the other yet

Are you looking forward to the weather ahead? Why or why not? Not at all. Snow is too much work and I hate the cold and the animals' water freezes

Bonus Question(s):
If you are a movie fan, do you tend to like movie franchises, stand-alone movies, or does it depend on the subject? Not really a fan of Hollywood

If there is a book associated with it, would you rather just read the book, see the movie, or both? I always wait until I read the book before seeing the movie

Do specific actors attract or repel you? Yes, some for their acting and others for pure physical appeal

Just for Fun:
Which do you prefer:
an electronic tablet, or pen and paper? pen and paper
a digital watch, or an analog watch? digital
an e-reader, or a book? books but I'll read on anything!

Today in History:

Today is:
International Hat Day
Blase´Day
Shopping Reminder Day

Quote of the Day:

Old 11-25-2015, 01:34 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,332,416 times
[quote=PatsCats;42061520]
Today's Question(s):

Getting out our version of winter things.

No, after decades of living in the NE of the U.S., I find myself a total sissy about our very mild winters here.

Bonus Question(s):

Not a movie fan any more.

I probably prefer the book, but might see the movie afterward.

Only a few. There are some of the more recent ones who seem to be more like wind-up toys than human beings, though I think that more often about singers/video performers, I guess.

Just for Fun:
Which do you prefer:
an electronic tablet, or pen and paper? Depends on what I am doing.
a digital watch, or an analog watch? Doesn't matter
an e-reader, or a book? A book, though I am happy with my e-reader.

Today’s Word: fissiparous That is a genuine $5.00 word!

I can relax, here it is just another Quinta-feira/Thursday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics