Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 10:53 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,624,828 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

Well, actually, it's very late night here for me, but it will be morning in just minutes!

Today's Question(s):
What method(s) do you use to find lost objects:
retracing your steps?
employing friends and/or family to help you look?
dowsing?
making a list of places the thing cannot possibly be, then lookin all those places?
other?

Bonus Question(s):
When I was a kid, the milk man delivered milk to your door in glass bottles. Soda pop had an extra charge tacked onto it, which you would get back when you returned the bottles to the store.
So, were things like these experiences in your past as well?
If so, is there anywhere that these kind of things are still going on?

Just for Fun:
Which of the following are true for you?
I have keys that I do not know what they belong to.
I have combination locks that I cannot remember the combination to.
I have locked boxes I cannot find the keys for.
I have locked myself out of my house.
I have locked myself out of my car.
While it was running.

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 2013 A private collection of 1,500 works of art plundered by the Nazi's and discovered in a Munich apartment in 2012, has an estimated worth of $1 billion; lost works include paintings by Matisse, Paul Klee, Marc Chagall and Picasso
Birthday: 1962 Ralph Macchio, American actor, The Karate Kid
Science/Technology: 2010 The oldest type of stone axe in the world is dated at 35,500 years old; it was found in Australia's Northern Territory in the lands of the Jawoyn people
Sports: 2001 World Series, Arizona Diamondbacks beat New York Yankees 4 games to 3

Today’s Word: landloper
Pronunciation: (land-loh-per)
Meaning: noun: a wanderer, vagrant, or adventurer.
Etymology: Dutch: literally, land-runner.
Earliest documented use: 1540

Today is:
King Tut Day
National Chicken Lady Day
National Candy Day
Use Your Common Sense Day

Quote of the Day:
"The truth is, you have a much richer life if you somehow lead one that you can hold together." ~ Ralph Macchio ~

Have a good day everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 11:00 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,270,367 times
Mornin' all!
Good morning!
Well, actually, it's very late night here for me, but it will be morning in just minutes!

Today's Question(s):
What method(s) do you use to find lost objects: Check with the usual suspects first.
retracing your steps?
dowsing?
making a list of places the thing cannot possibly be, then lookin all those places?
other?

Bonus Question(s):
When I was a kid, the milk man delivered milk to your door in glass bottles. Soda pop had an extra charge tacked onto it, which you would get back when you returned the bottles to the store.
So, were things like these experiences in your past as well? I know others had milk delivered we always went and got our own.
Doubt it.

Just for Fun:
I have combination locks that I cannot remember the combination to. Not any more.
While it was running.

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 2013 A private collection of 1,500 works of art plundered by the Nazi's and discovered in a Munich apartment in 2012, has an estimated worth of $1 billion; lost works include paintings by Matisse, Paul Klee, Marc Chagall and Picasso
Science/Technology: 2010 The oldest type of stone axe in the world is dated at 35,500 years old; it was found in Australia's Northern Territory in the lands of the Jawoyn people
Sports: 2001 World Series, Arizona Diamondbacks beat New York Yankees 4 games to 3

Today is:
King Tut Day

National Candy Day

Quote of the Day:
"The truth is, you have a much richer life if you somehow lead one that you can hold together." ~ Ralph Macchio ~

Thanks PatsCats!

Last edited by SATX56; 11-03-2015 at 11:12 PM..

Old 11-03-2015, 11:18 PM
bjh

60,527 posts, read 30,685,166 times
Today's Question(s):
retracing your steps? sometimes
employing friends and/or family to help you look? maybe
dowsing?
other? An ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure. Look around you before you leave a place to make sure you have everything.

Bonus Question(s):
Used to collect glass bottles when we were kids. They were 10cts each and we were glad to have it.

If so, is there anywhere that these kind of things are still going on? somewhere

Just for Fun:
I have keys that I do not know what they belong to. yep
I have combination locks that I cannot remember the combination to. yep
While it was running. No(t yet?)

Old 11-03-2015, 11:38 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,864,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
retracing your steps?
dowsing?
other?

Bonus Question(s):

Just for Fun:
I have locked myself out of my car. But not in many years!
While it was running.

Today in History:

Today is:
King Tut Day
National Candy Day
Use Your Common Sense Day Definitely something needed more of everyday!

Quote of the Day:

Thanks PatsCats!

Happy Wednesday All, Enjoy!

Old 11-03-2015, 11:48 PM

6,903 posts, read 7,695,359 times
retracing your steps?
dowsing?
other? I start looking in one place then methodically work my way from one side of the room to the other, room by room.

But first I have to run hysterically around the house several times, shrieking "Where are my glasses, where are my keys!"

Bonus Question(s):
So, were things like these experiences in your past as well? Yes, we had the milk man who delivered too. I know we returned glass pop bottles to the store but don't remember about the money.
If so, is there anywhere that these kind of things are still going on? Where I used to live there was a local dairy that still delivers to homes that join their route. Here there is a local dairy that sells milk in glass bottles at the grocery store, and we take the empty bottles back to store then when checking out the checkers take the bottles and I think give us some $ off the bill, but haven't paid attention to how much. Some CSAs and co-ops deliver door to door but the ones I've belonged to have had central pick-up locations, but we bring our own boxes/bags.

Just for Fun:
I have keys that I do not know what they belong to. LOTS!
While it was running.
AND I've locked myself out of work when I was the only one there to let people in.
AND I once locked myself out of my car when I had to give a talk and the materials (slides at that time) for the talk were in the car.
AND I once locked my dog in my office at work and didn't have a key to my office so had to get a locksmith to come while my dog waited patiently inside (and she didn't even p/p!)

Excellent questions! Yay for Wednesday!

Old 11-04-2015, 12:07 AM

10,228 posts, read 16,387,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
retracing your steps? Sometimes, if I had the item recently.
employing friends and/or family to help you look? Sometimes use his assistance if I need him to pull back the couch (things sometimes flip through the cushions).
dowsing?
other? If I get desperate enough, I pray to St. Anthony - NOT a joke.

Bonus Question(s):
So, were things like these experiences in your past as well? I remember the soda bottles. Also, we had a bakery vendor that drove around the rural areas and that's who Mom bought pastries and certain breads from. We also had a vendor that sold fish from the back of his truck out in the country, and there was a Fuller Brush man when I was really little.
If so, is there anywhere that these kind of things are still going on? One can get Schwan's delivered here.

Just for Fun:
I have keys that I do not know what they belong to. I have a canister of derelict keys.
I have combination locks that I cannot remember the combination to. I usually keep the #'s with them when not in use.
I have locked boxes I cannot find the keys for. Yes.
I have locked myself out of my house. Yes, long ago.
I have locked myself out of my car. Nope.
While it was running.

Thanks, Pats. Happy Humps, everyone.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:32 AM

8,009 posts, read 5,464,929 times
retracing your steps?
dowsing?
other?
Still have not found three things that I have lost and I know they are in my house somewhere.

Bonus Question(s):
So, were things like these experiences in your past as well? The extra charge on soda bottles
If so, is there anywhere that these kind of things are still going on? Yes, I have the dairy man deliver about every other week. He brings me milk, cheese, yogurt, eggs. I ordered a turkey from him, so that will get delivered right before Thanksgiving.

Just for Fun:
I have locked myself out of my house. Long time ago
I have locked myself out of my car. Long time ago, not possible now with new technology
While it was running.

I am often a landloper (an adventurer) I like this word!

Today is:
King Tut Day
National Candy Day

Quote of the Day:

Have a good day everyone. [/quote]

Wishing you a wacky Wednesday!

Old 11-04-2015, 12:58 AM

21,745 posts, read 8,888,223 times
[

Today's Question(s):
retracing your steps? <---- sometimes
employing friends and/or family to help you look? <---- Mr. Bay is good at finding lost objects. He knows me too well!
dowsing?
other?

Bonus Question(s):
Yes, I remember milk delivery and bottle deposits.
Not that I know of.

Just for Fun:
I have keys that I do not know what they belong to. <----- This
I have locked myself out of my house. <---- This, but only once and never again.
I have locked myself out of my car. <---- Sort of. I lost my car keys while on a hike.
While it was running.

Thanks, PatsCats!

Old 11-04-2015, 02:01 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,500,483 times
My wife locked us out of our car once......... at a funeral........ We arrived at the church, with my wife driving. There were a lot of cars there, and not much parking space. For some reason, my wife left the keys in the ignition, with the car still running. As we climbed out, she pressed the switch for the central locking, and we shut the doors. Then she said, "oh my gawd....... I've left the car engine going, and locked us out......"

I stood there in total astonishment. The funeral cars were due to arrive very shortly. A guy saw our predicament, and looked around for something to use to open the car door. He found a strip of that tape stuff that is almost unbreakable used for fastening up boxes, and put a small loop on the end. He managed to push it through the car door frame, and we watched as he placed the loop over the door locking switch...... then he pulled upwards, and the door unlocked. I couldn't believe my eyes how easy it was! We were slightly horrified, but very grateful.

We, like every one else back in the day, had milk delivered to the doorstep in glass bottles. You used the milk, rinsed the bottles, and left them out for the milkman to take away. It was very efficient, and the bottles were re-used many times. Then the supermarkets started selling milk in plastic bottles - cheaper than the doorstep milk supplier. So, they went the way of the dodo, like so much else.

Same with sody pop. The supermarkets sell all types in big plastic bottles. When I was a kid, you went to the shop, and bought your pop in glass bottles, which when returned empty, gave the kid a few pennies for it. Kids were always hunting for empty bottles! We had wonderful flavours like dandelion and burdock, and sarsaparilla.

We didn't have coca-cola when I was a kid here in England. I used to puzzle over comments in my American comic books about kids going for a 'coke.' I asked my dad what it was, but he didn't know. Same with pizza. He told me he thought it was some kind of food..........

Old 11-04-2015, 02:33 AM

37,871 posts, read 41,298,274 times
Today's Question(s):
retracing your steps?
dowsing?
other?

If it's my cell phone, I call it from my land line. If it's my keys, I just grab the spare set and look for the regular set when I get home. If it's anything else, I sit and think of the possible places I left whatever is missing and always check the car.

Bonus Question(s):
Yes...we're old.
If so, is there anywhere that these kind of things are still going on? No.

Just for Fun:
Yes.
I have combination locks that I cannot remember the combination to. No
I have locked boxes I cannot find the keys for. No
I have locked myself out of my house. Yes, in the past. For the last 8 years it is impossible for me to do that as you can't just close the door to lock it. You have to use your key on the outside to lock it.
I have locked myself out of my car. Yes, laid the keys down in the trunk, then closed the trunk.
While it was running. No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics