Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 08:58 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,052,164 times

Advertisements

Today’s Question:
Have you ever had ants (or other type of bug) in your home ?

They stroll in from time to time.

If so, did you do something to get rid of them ?

Usually the last thing they see is the sole of a size 13EEE shoe coming down on them

If a single bug gets into your home, what method do you use to be rid of it (flyswatter or other) ?

Fly swatter, newspaper, magazine, bug spray, or whatever.

While we are on the subject of ants, if they have a post office in their colony my picture is probably hanging on the wall with the other most wanted. When I was growing up I would spend hours shoving firecrackers into ant hills causing mass destruction. Sometimes I would set an entire package of firecrackers on the ant hill and then light them off once they were covered with ants.

Do spiders disconcert, alarm, or frighten you ?

No. I currently have a spider living behind the outside mirror on the Jeep. He, or she has covered the mirror with a web. I often see it working on the web. If I decide to go somewhere the spider crawls into the mirror housing while I am driving

Are there any particular insects that you like or at least find less objectionable ?

Not really

Extra Credit:
Have you ever accidentally microwaved metal ?

Nope. However I have dropped silverware into the garbage disposal

Bonus:
Do you have any jewelry (“dog tags” or medical ID bracelet count) with letters or words on it ?

Nope. I wear no jewelry

Just for Fun:
Do you enjoy learning about neologisms (new words or expressions) ?

Never gave it any thought

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neologism

Have you ever coined one yourself (made up a word or phrase) ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 10:38 AM

16,913 posts, read 16,248,473 times
Uh-ohhh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Happy Monday June 15, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:

It's a trick question because ants aren't bugs!

I get rid of ants. Spray atomized mild household cleaner, like Lysol or Mr. Clean on them and wipe them up - treat entry point and exit point with Raid...a two second shot will do it.

If a single bug gets into your home, what method do you use to be rid of it (flyswatter or other) ?

Some bugs are very nice. I welcome them. Others can even suck. I have used all sorts of violent methods of swift, hateful execution. See suck type of insect or arachnid - take large heavy object - slam suck victim as hard as you can. I always tell them first that they are going to die now and that I am glad.

Yes, I hate them so much I want to kill them.

Are there any particular insects that you like or at least find less objectionable ?

Click beetles and Japanese beetles (scarabs). Lacewings. Walking Sticks and Mantis'. Leaf Hoppers. Lots more!

Extra Credit:

Nope. I have done it intentionally, though. Some metals are fine in the microwave.
For a neat little bit of fun, slice or chop up an onion and put it in the microwave, on a dish and see what happens. It's pretty cool! DO IT!

Bonus:
Do you have any jewelry (“dog tags” or medical ID bracelet count) with letters or words on it ?

Nope, I don't wear jewelry.

Just for Fun:

Yep.

Today’s Word:
Duck.

Today Is:
Nature Photography Day
Worldwide Day of Giving
Global Wind Day

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at symbols in center towards the right & bottom towards the left (with little dots trailing away from them)-

Wishing everyone plenty of positive feedback today.
Sounds like good day for electric guitar.

Last edited by rainroosty; 06-15-2015 at 10:51 AM..

Old 06-15-2015, 10:44 AM

24,697 posts, read 26,288,564 times
Today’s Question:
Yes we have.

They get sprayed, swatted, squished or squashed.

Depends on whats handy.

Nope

Lady bugs and crickets.

Extra Credit:
I have nuked the gold rim on a few cups.

Bonus:
Just watch names.

Just for Fun:

Old 06-15-2015, 10:53 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,345,697 times
Today’s Question:
Of course! Who hasn't?

Stepped on 'em or sprayed them.

Unless it's a fly, I normally step on it.

Not at all, because you can step on spiders and kill them.

Ladybugs, lightning bugs

Extra Credit:
No, but I did put four blocks in the microwave when I was a child and smoke bellowed through the house.

Bonus:
Only my class ring from high school.

Just for Fun:
Quite so!

Old 06-15-2015, 11:14 AM
Status: "Civility needs to make a return." (set 10 days ago)

4,735 posts, read 3,309,394 times
Today’s Question:
Have you ever had ants (or other type of bug) in your home ? Yes
If so, did you do something to get rid of them ? Called in a professional.
If a single bug gets into your home, what method do you use to be rid of it (flyswatter or other) ? Magazine/newspaper or shoe.
Do spiders disconcert, alarm, or frighten you ? I freak out over spiders!!!
Are there any particular insects that you like or at least find less objectionable ? I'm not fond of any insects.

Extra Credit:
Have you ever accidentally microwaved metal ? Yes, I left a twist tie on some bread once.
It sparked.

Bonus:
Do you have any jewelry (“dog tags” or medical ID bracelet count) with letters or words on it ? Yes, I have some initial jewelry.

Just for Fun:

Today in History:
1836: Arkansas becomes the 25th American state
1919: First non-stop transatlantic aircraft flight (Newfoundland-Ireland in 16 hrs.), by John Alcock & Arthur W. Brown
1934: Official establishment of Great Smoky Mountains National Park (in Tenn. & N.C.)
1943: Birth of Dutch author Xaviera Hollander (Vera de Vries)
1949: Birth of English actor & musician Simon Callow
1955: Birth of American actress Julie Hagerty
1955: Birth of American actress Polly Draper
1959: Birth of American actress Eileen Davidson
1963: Birth of American actress Helen Hunt
1969: Birth of American rapper & actor Ice Cube (O’Shea Jackson, Sr.)
1971: Birth of American actor Jake Busey (William Jacob Busey)
1973: Birth of American actor Neil Patrick Harris
2012: Nik Wallenda becomes first person to cross Niagara Falls on a high-wire (also setting record for longest tightrope walk over a waterfall)

Today’s Word:
quincunx /ˈkwinˌkəNGks/ (n.): Geometric arrangement or layout, as on the “five dots” side of a die or domino tile,
where four of the points form a square or cross, with the fifth in the pattern’s center. A bit like the maze today

Today Is:
Nature Photography Day
Worldwide Day of Giving
Global Wind Day

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at symbols in center towards the right & bottom towards the left (with little dots trailing away from them)-

Thought for the Day:
“Finding ways to appreciate advances without embracing complacency is a delicate task.”
-Rebecca Solnit

Wishing everyone plenty of positive feedback today.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:26 AM

44,757 posts, read 62,163,916 times
Happy Monday June 15, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
Have you ever had ants (or other type of bug) in your home ? Once in awhile a critter sneaks in.
If so, did you do something to get rid of them ? Smirsch em'.
If a single bug gets into your home, what method do you use to be rid of it (flyswatter or other) ? Foot or swatter.
Do spiders disconcert, alarm, or frighten you ? No.
Are there any particular insects that you like or at least find less objectionable ? Bee's. I use to collect A's & C's but I like B's the best.

Extra Credit:
Have you ever accidentally microwaved metal ? NOOOO!

Bonus:
Do you have any jewelry (“dog tags” or medical ID bracelet count) with letters or words on it ? Yes my military dog tags.

Just for Fun:

Have you ever coined one yourself (made up a word or phrase) ? Yes, fragnotious is one of several.

Cloven your maze looks like it incorporated some of the great lakes into it.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:21 PM

13,130 posts, read 3,043,404 times

Today’s Question:
Yes, in the bathroom.
If so, did you do something to get rid of them ? We set out traps.
If a single bug gets into your home, what method do you use to be rid of it (flyswatter or other) ? Yes.
Do spiders disconcert, alarm, or frighten you ? Not as much as when I was younger.
Are there any particular insects that you like or at least find less objectionable ? Butterflies.

Extra Credit:
No, but some mugs have metal on the finish.

Bonus:
My wedding ring is engraved.

Just for Fun:
Yes.

No.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:15 PM

27,507 posts, read 27,542,288 times
I keep Black Flag around and use it without thinking twice. no swatters, no picking it up and putting it outside. No being nice. It's dead within a minute. Period.
I don't do jewelry but when I do, it's usually just earrings and those aren't engraved.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:36 PM

31,304 posts, read 33,059,067 times

Today’s Question:
not often but in years past we had a small problem with a few of them.

insect spray
swatter works well for most. otherwise I use my left shoe or a tissue.
no normally but there are some that are creepy
Ladybugs, and Bees
Extra Credit:
No,,, never!
Bonus:
I still have my dog tags from the Army days; so far they haven't called me back in........
Just for Fun:

Not yet!

Stay safe and cool this week.......

Old 06-15-2015, 02:43 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,429,663 times
Today’s Question:
Yes, every few years-from tiny sugar ants to larger ones.
Ladybugs once or twice a year swarm my apt. but they don't terrify me, and are simple to remove.
Smoosh with masking tape & toss out. Icky, but effective & involves no hazardous chemicals.
If of no redeeming value (mosquito), smoosh (as above)-have flyswatter but rarely use it.
If too big-and/or I feel sorry for it, capture in glass covered with postcard & let out the window.

Do spiders disconcert, alarm, or frighten you ? <--- All of those, even though intellectually I know they're beneficial.
Ladybugs, beetles (incl. fireflies) in general don't freak me out the way other ones do-
they pretty much get a free pass from me (and are easy to get hold of & gently relocate).
Moths are okay, they're just hard to catch so I can free them outside.
Had forgotten about crickets & dragonflies 'til I saw others here mention them-I'm okay with those, but again, I still want them to remain outside-not inside.
I know bees are "good", but I certainly don't want them all up in my business. So long as creatures respect my boundaries, we're cool.

Extra Credit:

Can't recall-possibly for a second or two, but immediately realized mistake.

Bonus:
Have couple old rings that state the metal content of them, one is grandmother's class ring but writing has worn off the face.

Just for Fun:

Have you ever coined one yourself (made up a word or phrase) ? Not sure.
I don't claim to have made them up, but I hold onto turns of phrase or invented/blended words
(which others have generated) that I like sound of (hard to think of them just now)...
"confusify", for one.

Both my parents were clever & creative with language.
No idea the origin story of it, but my mother made up the word "piv"-
which can be conjugated as pivulous, pivulation, etc.
Meaning of it is flexible, though-generally means unfavorable, unappealing, gunk, grot.
As in, "I'm feeling kinda' pivulous today", or "Wait-there's some piv on that bench, don't sit there".
I still use the word today.

Last edited by cloven; 06-15-2015 at 02:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics