Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 01:39 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times

Advertisements

Hand picked from the question field and covered with droplets of dew here are . . .

Today's Questions:
How much of a nuisance are mosquitos where you live?

Should restaurants be free to ban children less than a certain age? Why or why not?

In what ways, if any, do you get concerned when a close neighbor puts their house on the market or an adjacent apartment becomes vacant?

Have you had any problems with neighbors? If so, please tell us about at least one "for instance"

After those neighbor questions, let's relax. How do you "get away from it all" and find a few moments to yourself?

Have you ever been in a building (work, school, home, etc.) that had a leaky roof?

Have you seen any of the wind turbines that have been put up to generate electricity?
---> Wind turbine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bonus, just because I like you, here is a neato wind map of the US 48 that is updated hourly ---> Wind Map
-The map is zoomable. Check out the gallery of hurricane conditions.

Foodie Questions:
Do you like ice in your cold drinks?
If so, do you have a preference of ice shape or type?

Have you tried any of the new chocolate dipping spreads?
---> http://www.hersheys.com/spreads/
If you had some dippable chocolate, what foods
might you try with it?

Do you refrigerate foods right away or let them cool first?

Today in History:
1588 Spanish Armada of 130 ships and 30,000 men, set sail from Lisbon, Portugal, toward England in what would be a failed attempt to overthrow Queen Elizabeth the 1st
1888 Decathlete and football player Jim Thorpe born in Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma
1892 John Muir organized the Sierra Club in CA
1908 Ian Fleming, author of the original James Bond novels and of "Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang," born in Mayfair, London
1934 Canada's identical Dionne quintuplets born, 1st quintuplets known to survive infancy. Two of the sisters are alive today, their 81st birthday.
1937 San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge officially opened to vehicle traffic in ceremony by then US prez FDR
1987 West German teen Mathias Rust evaded Soviet air defenses and landed a small plane in Moscow's Red Square. He was detained until August 3, 1988.
2011 Mediterranean island of Malta voted to allow divorce

Today's Quote:
"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile,
and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean."
~John Muir, naturalist

Today’s Word:
caboodle [kuh-BOOD-l] noun
Informal: the lot, pack, or crowd, ex. "They went along with the whole caboodle."
Idioms: kit and caboodle, kit as in a set of items
Origin: 1840-1850, Americanism; perhaps ca- + boodle, a set, lot or collection

Today Includes:
Hamburger Day
Brisket Day

This Week Includes:
Hurricane Preparedness Week
Tire Safety Week, check inflation and tread depth

Today's Cool Picture:
Today's picture is a panoramic of the Golden Gate bridge courtesy of CDer kdog.
He writes, "This shot of the San Francisco Golden Gate bridge was taken in the early dawn of April 4, 2015,
during the final stages of a lunar eclipse, "blood-moon", just before the moon set into the ocean."

Please join me in thanking kdog for sharing this great image!

Happy Thursday, everyone!

Last edited by bjh; 05-28-2015 at 02:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 01:50 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,373,361 times
Hand picked from the question field and covered with droplets of dew here are . . .
Today's Questions:
Not much, but it may well be different/worse elsewhere in the town or state.
I live away from the river (compared with downtown), and my neighborhood is windier & cooler as well.
Also, I don't spend much time out of doors, so am only rarely available for bugs to snack on.
Should restaurants be free to ban children less than a certain age? Why or why not?
While I have an intense aversion to the noise of youngsters, it's not for me to say-
that seems like a slippery slope, were it legal to discriminate against a class of people.
I don't like to eat (in) at restaurants anyway...

In what ways, if any, do you get concerned when a close neighbor puts their house on the market or an adjacent apartment becomes vacant?
House next door to my building was sold several months ago.
Previous owners were an old couple & they were pretty quiet, which I liked.
The new people are noisier, younger, more boisterous, have children & dog.

Have you had any problems with neighbors? If so, please tell us about at least one "for instance"
New tenant in apt. below mine was blaring thumpy music so loud that it made vibrations in my apt. so I had to confront him about it.

After those neighbor questions, let's relax. How do you "get away from it all" and find a few moments to yourself?
I stay home alone 95% of the time.
Have you ever been in a building (work, school, home, etc.) that had a leaky roof?
Yes, have gone shopping at stores where they had a bucket in aisle & sign bc. of ceiling drip.
Have you seen any of the wind turbines that have been put up to generate electricity?
Yes, from a distance, on ridgelines of mountains in southern part of state.

Foodie Questions:
Do you like ice in your cold drinks? Depends on the beverage, how diluted I want it to be.
I like smaller pieces, neat shapes-sure-but at home I just have the conventional (and convenient) large rectangles.

No.
With regard to the link, I avoid American chocolate because I perceive a significant decline in quality over the past decade or so.

might you try with it?
Am not into "dipping" foods. Sauce preparations don't appeal to my gustatory sense.
Issue almost never comes up for me, as I make a single serving of food at a time-there are no leftovers.

Today Includes:
Hamburger Day

Thanks for the Qs, bjh.
Wishing everybuggy a "bug-free" Thursday.

Last edited by cloven; 05-28-2015 at 02:20 AM..

Old 05-28-2015, 01:52 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,543,686 times
Today's Questions:
How much of a nuisance are mosquitos where you live? MAJOR issue this year. I walked into a huge cloud of skeeters this evening.

Should restaurants be free to ban children less than a certain age? Why or why not? They should ban ADULTS who act like idiots!

In what ways, if any, do you get concerned when a close neighbor puts their house on the market or an adjacent apartment becomes vacant? I would rejoice! Our neighbor from H3LL has her home up for sale for 10 years!

Have you had any problems with neighbors? If so, please tell us about at least one "for instance" She does not control her dogs. They chase cars and they kill cats.

After those neighbor questions, let's relax. How do you "get away from it all" and find a few moments to yourself? I listen to Willie Nelson's "It's all going to pot" song.

Bonus, just because I like you, here is a neato wind map of the US 48 that is updated hourly ---> Wind Map

Foodie Questions:

[b]might you try with it? strawberry

Do you refrigerate foods right away or let them cool first? Both~ depends how lazy I am at the time.

Today Includes:
Hamburger Day
Brisket Day

This Week Includes:
Tire Safety Week, check inflation and tread depth HAHA! There is a thread on how someone cannot read the warning symbols on the dashboard.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:56 AM

61,742 posts, read 87,194,708 times

Today's Questions:

Black Mosquito AKA Asian Tiger Mosquito (introduced to the US in 2007!!) are the worst!!

Yes, especially upscale restaurants in the evening hours. They should ban all kids under 7 y.o. They should be in bed, not annoying patrons in the restaurants.
Acting out kids are incredibly annoying. And much more annoying than acting kid is an acting out kid belonging to parents who simply sit serenely and ignore the wailing (the same goes for kids who yell, or scream, or run around stealing bread from your table) , doing nothing to address the issue. Going out to such an establishment is an occasion (and a costly one...) so, excuse me if I would like to spend the evening without misbehaving kids, and infants bawling.

Well, I wonder who the next renters will be.... and how they will fit in our neighborhood.

No, I live on an extremely quiet street, and on my block there are all older people - not quite retired but living without their kids, quietly, no parties, boom boxes, everyone caring for their property, and parking their cars in the garages . ..

Home, reading or on the computer, outdoors - taking pictures, or going out with friends.

Sure, after the heavy rain we had over the weekend, we found several wet spots on our ceilings, at work. The crew was working on it today.

Sure, most everywhere in Europe. This pix is from Poland.

Spoiler

Foodie Questions:

Absolutely NOT! I like my drinks refrigerator cold (~38F - and that's cold enough for me). Colder that that is like gulping fluid ice down the throat. Any extreme temperature, cold or hot, will mask flavor, and I like to enjoy the taste of my drinks.

Ugh... Hersheys? No, thank you! They use inferior ingredients (like substituting cacao butter with... vegetable oil)

If you had some dippable chocolate, what foods might you try with it?

Dipped fruit taste nice (kiwi, oranges, watermelon), cookies, pour dipping chocolate over ice cream, or spread on a toasted baguette slice.

I let it cool first, at least a bit. I have glass shelves.

Today in History:
1588 Spanish Armada of 130 ships and 30,000 men, set sail from Lisbon, Portugal, toward England in what would be a failed attempt to overthrow Queen Elizabeth the 1st
1888 Decathlete and football player Jim Thorpe born in Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma
1908 Ian Fleming, author of the original James Bond novels and of "Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang," born in Mayfair, London
1934 Canada's identical Dionne quintuplets born, 1st quintuplets known to survive infancy. Two of the sisters are alive today, their 81st birthday.
1937 San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge officially opened to vehicle traffic in ceremony by then US prez FDR
1987 West German teen Mathias Rust evaded Soviet air defenses and landed a small plane in Moscow's Red Square. He was detained until August 3, 1988.

Today's Quote:
~John Muir, naturalist

Today’s Word:
Informal: the lot, pack, or crowd, ex. "They went along with the whole caboodle."

Today Includes:
Hamburger Day
Brisket Day

This Week Includes:

Today's Cool Picture:
He writes, "This shot of the San Francisco Golden Gate bridge was taken in the early dawn of April 4, 2015,
during the final stages of a lunar eclipse, "blood-moon", just before the moon set into the ocean."
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024$sx487$s.

Great pix, kdog!!!
Thank you, bjh for today's questions.
Wishing all peeps a great Thursday!

Last edited by elnina; 05-28-2015 at 03:01 AM..

Old 05-28-2015, 02:19 AM

21,549 posts, read 8,729,914 times
Today's Questions:
We see one occasionally, but it's not a big deal.
No, but parents ought to use common sense and not bring infants and toddlers into fine-dining restaurants where customers have a right to expect a quiet, peaceful meal. Most of the parents I've seen here are pretty good about taking their little ones outside when they are having meltdowns.
I have the expectation that the new owners will upgrade the property, so it's a good thing for the neighborhood. Houses here sell pretty quickly and the prices being as ridiculously high they are, the new owners tend to be more affluent than the sellers. That's been the trend ever since I've lived in this neighborhood.

Our neighbors are generally pretty good, but one has a dog with behavior issues that is aggressive and barks a lot. Also, both neighbors have gigantic noisy pickup trucks that they park on the street on either side of our garage. They obstruct our visibility when we're pulling out, so we have to be extra cautious.
I like to watch a commercial-free program called Classic Arts Showcase. It features video clips of classical music, opera, dance, art, film and animation. It's like MTV, but for the arts.
Yes, the building I worked in had a leaky roof, and it was a real hassle having to tiptoe around plastic buckets until they got the problem fixed.
Yes, there are wind farms at the Altamont Pass in Northern California which I have often seen while driving from the Bay Area to the Central Valley.
Cool, thanks! I like you, too.
Foodie Questions:
Do you like ice in your cold drinks? Yes
No, not really.

might you try with it?
I like the original Nutella, but I'm boycotting all Hershey's products because of they are preventing the importation of British Cadbury products.
It depends. If it is a very large dish and very hot, I might let it cool for 15-20 minutes rather than put it in the fridge right away.

Thanks for the questions, bjh, and thanks for the awe-inspiring photo, kdog!

Old 05-28-2015, 02:20 AM

11,374 posts, read 9,288,232 times
Today's Questions:
How much of a nuisance are mosquitos where you live? Somewhat annoying but I have seen worse.

Should restaurants be free to ban children less than a certain age? Why or why not? - Yes!!! Why is obvious to me.

In what ways, if any, do you get concerned when a close neighbor puts their house on the market or an adjacent apartment becomes vacant? A little. I've had some issues in the past mainly with loud stereo's. I do not make any noise at all and expect the same. I resent having to listen to someone's noise pollution. So far there have been no issues here but there are 2 apartments vacant - one underneath me and across the hall.

Have you had any problems with neighbors? If so, please tell us about at least one "for instance" See above.

After those neighbor questions, let's relax. How do you "get away from it all" and find a few moments to yourself? I spend too much time alone and I do not like it. I'm clueless on how to fix it. I tried but gave up. Frankly there are too many people out there that I want nothing to do with so I guess it could be worse.

Have you ever been in a building (work, school, home, etc.) that had a leaky roof? I used to live on a top floor of a high rise apartment building. Had a leak once.

Have you seen any of the wind turbines that have been put up to generate electricity? - No.

Foodie Questions:
Do you like ice in your cold drinks? - Sometimes. But except for a few beers and sodas per year I only drink water. I've been buying this "Pure Lime" lately that is pretty good. No water added. When I have that in my water I use ice.

If so, do you have a preference of ice shape or type? - Regular cubes.

Have you tried any of the new chocolate dipping spreads? - No.

If you had some dippable chocolate, what foods might you try with it? I took a look at the link. Only the pretzels and graham crackers appeal to me. No thank you on the celery and bread.

Do you refrigerate foods right away or let them cool first? Rarely have to do this. Only when I make a big pot of vegetarian chili and I do let it cool. It does that anyway while I am eating.

Thanks, bjh.
Hope everyone has a good Thursday!

Last edited by John13; 05-28-2015 at 02:43 AM..

Old 05-28-2015, 02:22 AM

30,540 posts, read 16,231,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Today's Questions:
not a huge nuisance but big enough that I long for bats.

sure-it's their business. Of course, customers are also free to eat elsewhere.

not a concern at all.

yea-he plows my drive-way and won't let pay him.

since I live alone, I just go inside and close the door. Makes the whole world gone.

yea. not fun

ya mean like these?

anyone sick of me posting that photo?

Foodie Questions:
yes

nope

not het.
[b]might you try with it?
fresh strawberries to begin with.

cool 1st.

Today's Quote:
~John Muir, naturalist

Today’s Word:

Today Includes:
Hamburger Day
Brisket Day

This Week Includes:

Today's Cool Picture:

thanks, bjh, and kdog for that awesome photo
have a great day, everyone.
stay dry,Texans.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:17 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,252,976 times
Today's Questions:
How much of a nuisance are mosquitos where you live? A damn nuisance! Lots of water and forests and swamp land where I live so lots of mosquitoes. Hopefully won't be too bad this year.

Should restaurants be free to ban children less than a certain age? Why or why not? I don't really like the idea of outright bans on certain groups (and pretty sure it would be illegal here) but I think banning young children after a certain time in the evening would be a good compromise. But not complete bans as children are people too and have rights.

In what ways, if any, do you get concerned when a close neighbor puts their house on the market or an adjacent apartment becomes vacant? Its never happened

Have you had any problems with neighbors? If so, please tell us about at least one "for instance" In my place, an apartment building, the neighbours below me were speed freaks and would have loud parties that lasted for several days in a row, singing terrible karaoke and revving motorbikes and cars outside the building. Eventually thought to complain and we got moved to a lovely row house so I forgive them now as this house is the most sought after rental in the town!

After those neighbor questions, let's relax. How do you "get away from it all" and find a few moments to yourself? I go to the forest/lakeside. Its just behind my house.

Have you ever been in a building (work, school, home, etc.) that had a leaky roof? An old apartment would leak in the winter, because too much snow would settle on the roof and it would leak through the light fixture in the kitchen area so we couldn't have a light there in the winter. Annoying.

Have you seen any of the wind turbines that have been put up to generate electricity? There was one in the town I lived in as a teenager. They named it Gulliver. I liked it.

Foodie Questions:
Do you like ice in your cold drinks? Only alcoholic ones
If so, do you have a preference of ice shape or type? Cubes. Actually I use fake ice cubes that don't melt so they don't water down the drink

Have you tried any of the new chocolate dipping spreads? No
If you had some dippable chocolate, what foods might you try with it? Biscuits

Do you refrigerate foods right away or let them cool first? Let them cool first

Old 05-28-2015, 04:16 AM

576 posts, read 422,385 times
Today's Questions:
Not much you don't see them very often, we can get a lot of midges though around rivers and lakes.

No, I know some kids can be annoying to others though I think it discriminates against parents, I wouldn't see a problem is maybe they weren't allowed after a certain time in the evening.

Not really too worried about things like that, I'm a fairly easy going person I get on with most people

My folks have a neighbor who suffered from Bi-Polar could write a novel about it but I'll keep it short and say the worst thing she did was try to poison their pets once. Its sad that she has mental health problems but when you try to do something like that your gonna fallout with your neighbors. They called the RSPCA on her and haven't talked to her since.

had a leak in my house once due to a damaged roof tile, didn't sleep much that night had to go up with a load of basins and pans to try and catch it all before I could temporally patch it the next day

We have some in Ireland

Foodie Questions:
Do you like ice in your cold drinks? Yes
If so, do you have a preference of ice shape or type? No sharp points

Have you tried any of the new chocolate dipping spreads? No, would us Nutella now and again
If you had some dippable chocolate, what foods might you try with it? toast, pancakes

Do you refrigerate foods right away or let them cool first? depends on the food

Thanks for the questions BJH, hope you have a great day

Old 05-28-2015, 04:52 AM

126,283 posts, read 19,057,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Today's Questions:
How much of a nuisance are mosquitos where you live? this year I have seen none yet

Should restaurants be free to ban children less than a certain age? Why or why not? I don't really know

In what ways, if any, do you get concerned when a close neighbor puts their house on the market or an adjacent apartment becomes vacant? if it is a good neighbor I would miss them....

Have you had any problems with neighbors? If so, please tell us about at least one "for instance" yeah..rudeness,doing drugs,police showed up,among other things....but I had real good neighbors too

After those neighbor questions, let's relax. How do you "get away from it all" and find a few moments to yourself? go in my garden and have a cup of tea and smell the roses

Have you ever been in a building (work, school, home, etc.) that had a leaky roof? I don't remember

Foodie Questions:
Do you like ice in your cold drinks? No thank you

Have you tried any of the new chocolate dipping spreads? not familiar with that
might you try with it?

Do you refrigerate foods right away or let them cool first? I cool the container in ice cold water and than in fridge or freezer

Today in History:

Today's Quote:
~John Muir, naturalist.......such a beautiful quote

Today’s Word:

Today Includes:
Hamburger Day
Brisket Day

This Week Includes:

Today's Cool Picture:

Thank you bjh and EVERYONE have a relaxing and fun-filled weekend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics