Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 08:49 AM

30,544 posts, read 16,236,133 times

Advertisements

oops-stay dry, you folks from OK too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 09:01 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times
Hand picked from the question field and covered with droplets of dew here are . . .

Today's Questions:
How much of a nuisance are mosquitos where you live?
Enough...
Should restaurants be free to ban children less than a certain age? Why or why not?
Absolutely not! They have a right to eat like everyone else.
In what ways, if any, do you get concerned when a close neighbor puts their house on the market or an adjacent apartment becomes vacant?
I do worry about who'll be the new neighbor.
Have you had any problems with neighbors? If so, please tell us about at least one "for instance"
Very little and it's mainly just been noise issues.
After those neighbor questions, let's relax. How do you "get away from it all" and find a few moments to yourself?

Have you ever been in a building (work, school, home, etc.) that had a leaky roof?

Have you seen any of the wind turbines that have been put up to generate electricity?
---> Wind turbine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've seen tons of them...
Bonus, just because I like you, here is a neato wind map of the US 48 that is updated hourly ---> Wind Map
-The map is zoomable. Check out the gallery of hurricane conditions.

Foodie Questions:
Do you like ice in your cold drinks?
If so, do you have a preference of ice shape or type?

Have you tried any of the new chocolate dipping spreads?
---> http://www.hersheys.com/spreads/
If you had some dippable chocolate, what foods might you try with it?

Do you refrigerate foods right away or let them cool first?

Today in History:
1588 Spanish Armada of 130 ships and 30,000 men, set sail from Lisbon, Portugal, toward England in what would be a failed attempt to overthrow Queen Elizabeth the 1st
1888 Decathlete and football player Jim Thorpe born in Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma
1892 John Muir organized the Sierra Club in CA
1908 Ian Fleming, author of the original James Bond novels and of "Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang," born in Mayfair, London
1934 Canada's identical Dionne quintuplets born, 1st quintuplets known to survive infancy. Two of the sisters are alive today, their 81st birthday.
1937 San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge officially opened to vehicle traffic in ceremony by then US prez FDR
1987 West German teen Mathias Rust evaded Soviet air defenses and landed a small plane in Moscow's Red Square. He was detained until August 3, 1988.
2011 Mediterranean island of Malta voted to allow divorce

Today's Quote:
"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile,
and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean."
~John Muir, naturalist

Today’s Word:
caboodle [kuh-BOOD-l] noun
Informal: the lot, pack, or crowd, ex. "They went along with the whole caboodle."
Idioms: kit and caboodle, kit as in a set of items
Origin: 1840-1850, Americanism; perhaps ca- + boodle, a set, lot or collection

Today Includes:
Hamburger Day
Brisket Day

This Week Includes:
Hurricane Preparedness Week
Tire Safety Week, check inflation and tread depth

Today's Cool Picture:
Today's picture is a panoramic of the Golden Gate bridge courtesy of CDer kdog.
He writes, "This shot of the San Francisco Golden Gate bridge was taken in the early dawn of April 4, 2015,
during the final stages of a lunar eclipse, "blood-moon", just before the moon set into the ocean."
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024$sx487$s.

Please join me in thanking kdog for sharing this great image!
Thanks Kdog!

Happy Thursday, everyone!
Thanks BJH!

Old 05-28-2015, 09:03 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,798,240 times
Hand picked from the question field and covered with droplets of dew here are . . .

Today's Questions:
We have them and they are a nuisance but nothing like the ones on the coast of NC, those suckers will carry you away

Should restaurants be free to ban children less than a certain age? Why or why not?
Gee I don't know, that's such a touchy subject I better leave that alone

In what ways, if any, do you get concerned when a close neighbor puts their house on the market or an adjacent apartment becomes vacant?
It's concerning to me, just never know WHO might be moving in

Have you had any problems with neighbors? If so, please tell us about at least one "for instance"
Not since I've been here but when I lived in an apartment complex I had a real creepy neighbor who would stand outside in between my door and his where I couldn't see him when I came out and he was always scaring the bejeebers out of me. He would try to talk to me and he was so high on something that he would be slurring his words and acting weird so I would walk away as fast as possible. He had a Moped that he would start up in the breezeway at 3 or 4 in the morning and wake me up too, urgh I really disliked that guy.

After those neighbor questions, let's relax. How do you "get away from it all" and find a few moments to yourself?
I'm having trouble with that these days for certain reasons but I basically have to tell everyone I need some time to myself whether it hurts feelings or not

Have you ever been in a building (work, school, home, etc.) that had a leaky roof?
Yes I have

Have you seen any of the wind turbines that have been put up to generate electricity?
Not around here but I've seen them on tv

Bonus, just because I like you, here is a neato wind map of the US 48 that is updated hourly ---> Wind Map

Foodie Questions:
Do you like ice in your cold drinks? yes I like lots of ice
If so, do you have a preference of ice shape or type? I prefer chunks rather than crushed ice

Have you tried any of the new chocolate dipping spreads? nope
If you had some dippable chocolate, what foods
might you try with it?
I'm not sure, bananas, apples, crackers maybe?

I usually let them cool a little first

Today in History:
1588 Spanish Armada of 130 ships and 30,000 men, set sail from Lisbon, Portugal, toward England in what would be a failed attempt to overthrow Queen Elizabeth the 1st
1888 Decathlete and football player Jim Thorpe born in Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma
1908 Ian Fleming, author of the original James Bond novels and of "Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang," born in Mayfair, London
1934 Canada's identical Dionne quintuplets born, 1st quintuplets known to survive infancy. Two of the sisters are alive today, their 81st birthday.
1937 San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge officially opened to vehicle traffic in ceremony by then US prez FDR
1987 West German teen Mathias Rust evaded Soviet air defenses and landed a small plane in Moscow's Red Square. He was detained until August 3, 1988.

Today's Quote:
~John Muir, naturalist

Today’s Word:
Informal: the lot, pack, or crowd, ex. "They went along with the whole caboodle."

Today Includes:
Hamburger Day
Brisket Day

This Week Includes:

Today's Cool Picture:
He writes, "This shot of the San Francisco Golden Gate bridge was taken in the early dawn of April 4, 2015,
during the final stages of a lunar eclipse, "blood-moon", just before the moon set into the ocean."

Thanks bjh!

Old 05-28-2015, 09:08 AM

27,353 posts, read 27,405,100 times
Its really a toss up about kids in restaurants. Family places like IHOP or Dennys are just that...family oriented. Sportsbar places though, there could be an age requirement, maybe 10 or 12 yrs old? Other places, like Olive Garden or Texas Roadhouse, well, its hard to determine if someones kids are well behaved or are they a pack of wild monkeys. I wont go back into food server position!
Neighbours homes up for sale or rent, well, I live in a rental so it doesn't matter, you really have no control over. If they get a group of constant loud rowdy partiers, I'll freaking break a lease an move. Being concerned is one thing, controlling it is another.

Back home, never a problem in the years Ive lived there. There was only one incident where the couple upstairs (my house was a duplex rental, upstairs and downstairs) were fighting and took their argument outside to the driveway, the guy was yelling at the girl but he left and never came back. Good. One drunk in the building (my ex fiancé) was enough.

Leaky roof, oh I have an experience of when I was married back in Calif. Our house (we owned it) started off with a small leak in the roof, dripping in the living room when it rained for a long period of time. My father in law thought it would be a good ide to get the roof itself patched, and I agreed, but my husband didn't want to spend the money. So, one rainy afternoon he came in from work, we were all sitting on the couch watching a movie. Our dog, was laying on the floor beside us. I had a bucket to catch the dripping, but noticed the leak started getting bigger and one of my kids discovered a crack in the ceiling. All it took was for him to open the front door, no sooner than he opened the door, half the living room ceiling came crashing down, all water damage! We all jumped out of the way but poor Bear (my dog) wasn't quick enough and got wet, covered with insulation and some sheetrock!! He wasn't hurt but...at that point, a small repair turned into a major one now, he had no choice but to get the roof fixed ...and now the ceiling too.

I like crushed ice in my drinks.
Happy Thursday everyone~~~

Last edited by country pride; 05-28-2015 at 09:18 AM..

Old 05-28-2015, 09:16 AM

4,041 posts, read 2,909,737 times
Today's Questions:
How much of a nuisance are mosquitos where you live? I've never seen a mosquito in NV!

Should restaurants be free to ban children less than a certain age? Why or why not? Oh heavens no -- I can remember a time when taking my kids out to eat was my only treat!

In what ways, if any, do you get concerned when a close neighbor puts their house on the market or an adjacent apartment becomes vacant? Just that they won't have a noisy dog that barks constantly.

Have you had any problems with neighbors? If so, please tell us about at least one "for instance" No -- I've had a few "odd" ones, but nothing to be concerned about.

After those neighbor questions, let's relax. How do you "get away from it all" and find a few moments to yourself? Read a book, spend time on the computer, listen to the radio, browse in a book store, go to a museum...

Have you ever been in a building (work, school, home, etc.) that had a leaky roof? I had a leaky skylight in the first "cabin" I bought in the Wisconsin Dells.

Yes -- on land and in the ocean.

Do you like ice in your cold drinks? Just in iced tea.
If so, do you have a preference of ice shape or type? Nope.

Have you tried any of the new chocolate dipping spreads? Nope.
If you had some dippable chocolate, what foods might you try with it? Strawberries.

Do you refrigerate foods right away or let them cool first? I usually let them cool a little bit and put them in the fridge when I do the dishes.

Thanks bjh and happy Thursday everyone!

Old 05-28-2015, 09:31 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,334,293 times
Today's Questions:

They are quite a problem in these parts. The city sprays for them a few times a year. West Nile is still a problem.

Yes. It's nice to enjoy a meal in a quiet location.

There's always fear of the unknown.

Knock on wood. I have never had a problem with neighbors.

Reading.

No.

--->
Wind turbine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes, in California.

Cool. Thanks, bjh.

Foodie Questions:
Not usually.

--->
http://www.hersheys.com/spreads/
Yes. Cookies.

Today in History:

Today's Quote:
~John Muir, naturalist

Today’s Word:

Today Includes:
Hamburger Day
Brisket Day

This Week Includes:

Today's Cool Picture:

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024$sx487$s.

Happy Thursday, everyone! Thanks, bjh. Have a great weekend. It's right around the corner.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:51 AM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Today's Questions:
How much of a nuisance are mosquitos where you live? Rarely see one, it's been years.

Should restaurants be free to ban children less than a certain age? Why or why not? Only unruly ones, parents too.

In what ways, if any, do you get concerned when a close neighbor puts their house on the market or an adjacent apartment becomes vacant? Sometimes I'm real happy, other times could care less.

Have you had any problems with neighbors? If so, please tell us about at least one "for instance". We've had 9 die the past 5 years so there hasn't been time for problems.

After those neighbor questions, let's relax. How do you "get away from it all" and find a few moments to yourself? Watch TV.

Have you ever been in a building (work, school, home, etc.) that had a leaky roof? Many times at different places.

Have you seen any of the wind turbines that have been put up to generate electricity? Yes, have seen many, mostly ugly too.

Foodie Questions:
Do you like ice in your cold drinks? Sometimes.
If so, do you have a preference of ice shape or type? Cube like.

Have you tried any of the new chocolate dipping spreads? No.
If you had some dippable chocolate, what foods might you try with it? Chicken.

Do you refrigerate foods right away or let them cool first? Sometimes.

bjh. Hittin' the road today, 4-5 days of travelin', adios amigos, have a great day.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:55 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
[quote=bjh;39789162]Hand picked from the question field and covered with droplets of dew here are . . .

Today's Questions:
They will carry you away at dusk and bite you anytime during the day.
Nope. Parents and kids of all ages need to eat.
Very. I was heartbroken when my three boy shorties moved away. I don't like the new neighbors very much either.
No problems really. I like both neighbors that totally hate each other and it seems to be over petty crap. One is a retired police officer from our town that needed some happy meds decades ago. He's often hard to deal with but we text nearly every day. Deep down inside beneath all that gruff exterior and his homeless look is a piece of humanity still there. It's a dirty job but someone has to love him.
I love to take my boys walkies when it's quiet, dark, and cool. Then I like to ride my bike at wee hours in the morning listening to tunes. There's nothing better then having the roads all to yourself. I can ride down the middle of what would be a busy street and not see a single car.
Yep but not in my own properties.
Yes I have seen them.

That is neato bjh
Foodie Questions:
Do you like ice in your cold drinks? MMMMM slurpees and frozen margaritas. I love champagne chilled to the point of having tiny ice crystals in it too.
Just give me blended ice with the drinks or big cubes. Cold things kill my teeth.
Have you tried any of the new chocolate dipping spreads? Nope. I don't need any more bad habits.
If you had some dippable chocolate, what foods
might you try with it?
There is just something about chocolate covered marshmallow. I'll make some smores the next time the shorties come.

I let it cool a tad first but it's still pretty warm when I put it away. Bacteria starts growing pretty rapidly.
Today in History:

Today's Quote:
~John Muir, naturalist
Love it. I need a whole week in Colorado on a mountain top entertaining myself with something legal over there.
Today’s Word:

Today Includes:
Hamburger Day
Brisket Day

This Week Includes:

Today's Cool Picture:

Gorgeous!

Thanks bjh. Awesome picture. Thursday is the beginning of my work week. Some day I'll be "normal." Well bad choice of words.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:02 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,306,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Today's Questions:
How much of a nuisance are mosquitos where you live? Not too bad, really. It was actually worse where I was raised.

Should restaurants be free to ban children less than a certain age? Why or why not? I'm a bit on the fence with this one. I can understand the idea, but I'd hate to see an ensuing domino effect from it.

In what ways, if any, do you get concerned when a close neighbor puts their house on the market or an adjacent apartment becomes vacant? We do have a family in process of moving and that makes us sad. Because we actually like the sight and sounds of children at play.

Have you had any problems with neighbors? If so, please tell us about at least one "for instance". In an apartment I lived in long ago, we had this high-strung woman above us who was disturbed if her surroundings were not dead-silent. She always complained about "the noise" from our stereo, and I knew that it wasn't particularly loud. One day I lead her down to my place and had her listen to the volume (and, no, I did not turn it down), and she was surprised as how low it was. She never complained again.

After those neighbor questions, let's relax. How do you "get away from it all" and find a few moments to yourself? No problem. One way is to hide in the bathroom, soaking in a long hot bath to read.

Have you ever been in a building (work, school, home, etc.) that had a leaky roof? I sure have! At work! And that was when I worked with the Building Permits department!

---> Wind turbine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Have seen many. I think they're cool.

Foodie Questions:
Do you like ice in your cold drinks? A little, not much. I'm a bit sensitive to cold of any kind.
If so, do you have a preference of ice shape or type? Prefer cubes over crushed, but an Icee or Slushee is good once in awhile when it's really hot (but I have to drink it very slowly).

Have you tried any of the new chocolate dipping spreads? No. Sounds good. I'd dry it with marshmallows.

Do you refrigerate foods right away or let them cool first? Oh, I do both but usually prefer to let it cool first.

Thanks, Bjh!

Old 05-28-2015, 11:02 AM

24,478 posts, read 26,017,453 times
Today's Questions:
It's a non issue where I live, but when I lived in PR, you better carry a can of Off with you.

I have no o[inion on this as we have never encountered what we consider unruly kids in a restaurant.

Just hope they are good neighbors.

We did have a neighbor with a happy dog, they did get so many complaints they finally got rid of it.
Loud music at times in the evening/night was a issue ay one time, but again complaints took care of that.

Nap, read and internet.

Every place I worked in had a leaky roof at one time or another.

I have.

Foodie Questions:
Yep

Nope

Nope

If it's just came from the store it gets put in the fridge/freezer pretty quick. If it's a hot meal, the it sits for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics