Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 11:54 AM

24,788 posts, read 28,721,487 times

Advertisements

Be there done that several times in my life time.. It's a gut reaction I guess from military training and or life and knowing how fragile life is and time being a key factor. " BUT" you have too weight the situation at that time. I hate to omit with all the liability law suites knowing if you cause further harm you could be libel or a biological incident that you could be exposed to in this day and age with terrorism all over the world.
I guess there is no really good answer... Just have too have it happen and go with your gut at that time an be ready to react.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 12:21 PM

31,304 posts, read 33,035,938 times
A number of years ago while driving downtown I noticed a man lying on the ground near the street curb. I didn’t know if he was sick, drunk, or had been hit by a car that drove by earlier; however it’s my responsibility as a human being to stop and check this out. If I don’t, then I can’t be a member of the society any longer. Amazingly there were hundreds of cars driving by all morning yet no one stopped. Apparently people were too busy with their own lives or they didn’t want to deal with the issue. I was able to get the firemen and paramedics to help out only to find out that the guy was drunk and needed to be moved to a safer area away from traffic. He appeared to be dead, no movement, no talking, nothing other they just lying there. If “you” don’t do something then why would you expect someone else to?

Old 05-13-2014, 01:55 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,304,439 times
I most certainly would stand nearby him and call up an ambulance to know what's wrong. No second thought is worth another human being's life. Sad that many just passed by without even attempting to call.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:32 PM

44,753 posts, read 62,117,125 times
I have several times and would do it again. If nothing else I'd call 9-11 for assistance.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:38 PM

5,234 posts, read 8,030,513 times
I've seen videos like this before, another guy has done quite a few of these and it's always the same no matter the location. He had a young kid hold a sign and say he was hungry and asked for help, he looked scared. People acted like he was invisible. I found the video of one of them, it's the last link below. Remember the incident in Hartford in 08 where a 78 year old man was hit by a car and no one stopped to help him? It was captured by area video cameras. This person died ended up dying due to the accident. How could those folks that did nothing sleep at night? The video is on Youtube.

I've picked up stray animals for many years and have watched people pass by as I'm the only one to stop to try to get a dog off the road or highway. Same thing with people, they are too self centered to go out of their way as a rule. People that work at shelters generally have a dim view of humanity.

Still there are kind folks about just not enough of them about. Look at the incident recently where a 16 year old girl in NYC fainted and fell into the subway train pit. One guy did something, he jumped in and saved her life, as he looked up as he lifted her up on the platform he said he saw all these people doing nothing, some recording and some snapping photos. He was amazed, but that's how it is for the most part today. One kind nursing student came forward to help tend to the deep gash on her head. But the rest standing there, brain dead obsessed with their bloody phones and me-ness or what. Ya gotta wonder. If it had been them or a family member and no one did a thing, think of their outrage. It was very lucky this guy was there when this gal fainted or she might have been killed by the train.

Then there are other stories like a teen waiter working at a restaurant in south Texas that saved a young child from choking to death (link below). Read Ryan Ward's Pay it Forward series (KGBT-4) and you find there are still good people going out of their way for others. It's a great good news series. Unfortunately these people aren't always around in abundance, if they had been then perhaps Detroit's Steven Utash wouldn't have been nearly beaten to death. Sadly, there is always way more bad news than positive news. And that's very depressing.

I still don't follow the logic, I wouldn't help because someone may not help me. But maybe they would too, you don't know that a Good Samaritan wouldn't come to the rescue. To turn your back because someone might not help you, to me isn't the right thing to do. Part of a quote my Mother Teresa I recall says, "The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow, do good anyway. Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway".

Waiter hailed a hero after saving choking baby's life at Longhorn Steakhouse : News : ValleyCentral.com

Another Good Samaritan story.
Crash survivor seeks Good Samaritans who saved her | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

Homeless Child Experiment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rsc-2oMB0s

Last edited by todd00; 05-13-2014 at 08:57 PM..

Old 05-14-2014, 01:20 AM

12,440 posts, read 14,999,584 times
It's so easy to say what you would have done in hindsight because you are in a position to judge rather than react. The real question is "What will you do?"

Old 05-14-2014, 07:34 AM

10,250 posts, read 11,251,633 times
I would of stopped and stayed with them, as I dialed 911. Sad - this is what is what's happening in the world. People are becoming cold-hearted.

Look at the crowd of people walking past them... Despicable

Old 05-14-2014, 11:39 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,301,553 times
I would have stopped (at least I hope I would have). Its unbelievable that so many would walk past without helping.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:05 PM

13,081 posts, read 3,037,467 times
I would call 911. Could be a trap.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:54 AM

12,440 posts, read 14,999,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
I would call 911. Could be a trap.
Best answer . I'd rather be prudent than become a statistic. After all, what medical assistance are you qualified to render?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics