Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 PM

44,382 posts, read 20,102,658 times

Advertisements

Hump day greetings, kids! I'll be rather incapacitated on Thursday and Friday, following foot surgery, so you'll have a Substitute Tipster for those two days. But for now, let's get on with Today's Tip!

SAVE PAPER, SAVE TREES

Do you waste paper? Perhaps you do without even realizing it.

One easy way to save a tree is to re-use sheets of paper. Whether it's a letter, a page from your notebook or a piece of junk mail, after you no longer have use for that page, don't just toss it into the recycle bin for the next pickup. If the reverse side of the page is blank, save it and use it as scrap paper to jot down notes, grocery lists or whatever. Get the most out of that sheet of paper!

One thing that I do with used paper is to stack several sheets and then cut them into squares to use as note paper. I have a little stack near each of my phones at home. I also have a little stack in a mail caddy on a wall and use it for my shopping lists.

At work, I cut up used stationery and outdated documents (ones which do not contain confidential data) into squares and then use a little binder clip to make a tablet out of them. My homemade note pad is always handy for jotting down notes when I'm on the phone or when someone comes into my office and I want to jot down just a few notes of our conversation.

When I need to print out a receipt from an online transaction, I use the reverse side of a used sheet of paper.

When your paper is no longer useable, then be sure to toss it in the recycle bin and not in the trash bin.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:54 PM

61,912 posts, read 87,428,807 times
Great tip, Pam!! We waste way too much of recyclable materials. Many could be reused in a creative way.

Tiny Worlds Created Inside Recycled Toilet Paper Rolls
http://designyoutrust.com/wp-content...scenes-30.jpeg

http://goo.gl/59CaQu
http://goo.gl/1Ojqwv

Last edited by elnina; 02-25-2014 at 10:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 10:13 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,921,881 times
We use a lot of paper towels. I try to get everyone here to make better use of them. I'm pretty conscious to the need to recycle. Some folks simply won't take a second to keep recyclables separated. Those are great tips if folks would use them. Thanks Pam! Good luck and God bless with your foot surgery. Hurry back.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:20 PM

44,659 posts, read 61,722,489 times
Great tip Pam. We do the blank page recycle idea. I cut the paper into 4 inch wide strips, staple them together and use them for note pads by the telephone and some for grocery/shopping lists.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:31 PM
bjh

60,147 posts, read 30,451,689 times
Good ideas, Pam. Best use for some junkmail is to cut up the envelopes and use the blank parts for grocery lists or notes.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:11 AM

30,598 posts, read 16,281,037 times
Another great tip, Pam.

I've been doing that for years. (Patting myself on the back.)

Did you know that when paper was a scarcity, they would sometimes write letters in both directions? I saw one in a museum once-one of those local historical society museums that nobody goes to and everyone should. I couldn't read it but the curator/host explained to me that it was written on both ways. One person wrote horizontal, like we do, the person responding wrote perpendicular to the original writing.

Now that's saving paper!

Old 02-26-2014, 01:05 AM

16,695 posts, read 17,464,625 times
I've got my little stack of cut up paper for notes right next to me Pam!

Old 02-26-2014, 01:06 AM

21,577 posts, read 8,751,556 times
Great tips. My late mother-in-law used the backs of junk mail to write shopping lists, and I used to think it was eccentric, but she was ahead of her time.

All of our waste paper goes into recycling, and used paper towels go in the compost bin. But I still try not to use more paper than I have to because it comes from trees.

I save the most paper by carrying my own nylon tote bags so I don't need to use a store bag when I go shopping. The ones I use can be folded in thirds and rolled up so they easily fit in a pocket or purse, and they're washable, too.

Good luck with your surgery, Pam!

Old 02-26-2014, 05:20 AM

126,311 posts, read 19,099,647 times
Pam good morning,what a great tip. I would like to think I am a person who recycles well. My blue box is barely quarter full of recyclables by the due date and mostly I give it to the truck once a month instead of every week. We have a separate food green bin and garbage.My can is barely full after 1 week. I scribble on any old paper I can find Good luck with your surgery Pam and take it easy

Old 02-26-2014, 05:52 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,055,868 times
Excellent tips, Pam. Used to do this all the time when I was getting tons of junk mail.

Good luck with your surgery and we'll all be thinking about you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics