Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 06:22 PM

11,864 posts, read 11,085,922 times

Advertisements

Howdy, y’all
Hope everyone had a great week

Let’s dive right in and get our much-deserved weekend started with . . .

Today's Questions:
I recently had something come up that made me wish I was a bit more ‘handy’ around the house,
it’s a tile/grout thing and even searching the bowels of the internet offered no help

So I think you probably know where I’m going with this . . .

Let’s talk grout

Do you know If a tile floor has been freshly laid (like within the past week) and it hasn’t been grouted
yet, is it a bad thing to clean it - get liquids/chemicals down between the tiles? Yes/no, why? (& thank you)

If you didn’t know the answer to the above, are there other areas around the house, construction/DIY
related, that you’re handy/knowledgeable in? If so, what are your particular talents?

If you’re like me and other than the basics (how/where to use WD40) have no clue whatsoever, is there
a friend or family member who’s particularly handy in the DIY department you’d call?

Today’s Bonus Questions
Today's Bonus Questions come to us from the romantic guy in Central Arizona . . . who always ends up
in the dog house . . . somehow

Let's talk about Age differences between two people falling in love.

How many years would you say are a significant age difference between two people?
- 10 Years?
- 15 Years?
- 20 Years?
- 25 Years?
- 30 Years and greater?
Age doesn't matter?

Do you know a couple who have a lot of years in age difference?

This is for both single, or married/involved individuals - How would you feel if were attracted to somebody
who is either many years younger or older than you are?

Are you, or have you ever been involved with somebody with a significant age difference between both
of you? Feel free to give details if you wish.

Today in History:

1907 - Oklahoma becomes 46th state
1939 - Al Capone freed from Alcatraz jail
1963 - Touch-tone telephone introduced
1973 - President Nixon authorizes construction of Alaskan pipeline
1981 - Luke marries Laura on General Hospital (16 million watch)[had to do it]
1984 - 14th Shuttle Mission (51A) -Discovery 2- lands at Kennedy Center
2010 - Longtime U.S. Democratic Representative Charlie Rangel is found guilty of multiple violations of
House rules, including failure to pay taxes
2012 - Hostess Brands reveals its plan to file for bankruptcy and liquidate its assets, claiming contract
disputes from the bakery's union worker strike crippled its operations; about 18,500 workers will be
laid off

Quote of the Day:

Hope everyone has a great weekend and,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 06:32 PM

21,730 posts, read 8,867,054 times

Today's Questions:
I recently had something come up that made me wish I was a bit more ‘handy’ around the house,
it’s a tile/grout thing and even searching the bowels of the internet offered no help

Let’s talk grout

Do you know If a tile floor has been freshly laid (like within the past week) and it hasn’t been grouted
yet, is it a bad thing to clean it - get liquids/chemicals down between the tiles? Yes/no, why? (& thank you)
No, I didn't know that. I imagine that the answer is that the chemicals or liquids might prevent the grout from curing.
If you didn’t know the answer to the above, are there other areas around the house, construction/DIY
related, that you’re handy/knowledgeable in? If so, what are your particular talents?
I can do a few simple things like hang pictures, but I'm generally not very handy.
If you’re like me and other than the basics (how/where to use WD40) have no clue whatsoever, is there
a friend or family member who’s particularly handy in the DIY department you’d call?
My husband is good at that sort of thing.

Today’s Bonus Questions
Today's Bonus Questions come to us from the romantic guy in Central Arizona . . . who always ends up

How many years would you say are a significant age difference between two people?
- 10 Years?
- 15 Years?
- 20 Years?
- 25 Years?
- 30 Years and greater?
Age doesn't matter?
I think anything more than five years is a significant difference, but it depends a lot on the couple. Some May-December romances work out well.
My first husband was 20 years older. It didn't last, but the age difference wasn't the reason.
This is for both single, or married/involved individuals - How would you feel if were attracted to somebody
I think I would feel embarrassed at being attracted to a man who's more than 15-20 years younger as it's not considered socially acceptable and I'm no cougar. I also would doubt that it would last, especially if he wanted a family. I would be OK with being attracted to a much older man, although I'm nearly 65, so there can't be too big a difference!
Are you, or have you ever been involved with somebody with a significant age difference between both
When I was in my 20s, I dated men in their 40s and 50s, but they weren't serious about me because I was too immature at that stage in my life to be good wife material. The oldest man I ever dated was an ophthalmologist who was German and had served in Hitler's Navy during World War II! My first husband was much older, as noted above, but was young at heart. He learned to ski in his 50s because I liked to do it. I appreciated that. My current husband is eight years older, and though it's not a huge difference, he is definitely in a different generation than me. I found that out when we were looking at a picture of the Beatles, and he wasn't sure which was which!

Thanks, JustJoy!

Last edited by Bayarea4; 11-15-2013 at 06:55 PM..

Old 11-15-2013, 06:39 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,206,798 times
Smile Today’s Question: Saturday, 16 November 2013
Howdy, y’all

Today's Questions:

Let’s talk grout

Yes!
I am a master of all Jack trades...

I wish!

Today’s Bonus Questions

- 05 years?
- 10 Years?
- 15 Years?
- 20 Years?
- 25 Years?
- 30 Years and greater?
Age doesn't matter?
Doesn't seem to in many cases.

Today in History:

2010 - Longtime U.S. Democratic Representative Charlie Rangel is found guilty of multiple violations of
House rules, including failure to pay taxes POS!
2012 - Hostess Brands reveals its plan to file for bankruptcy and liquidate its assets, claiming contract
disputes from the bakery's union worker strike crippled its operations; about 18,500 workers will be
laid off

Quote of the Day:

Thanks Joy!

Last edited by SATX56; 11-15-2013 at 06:48 PM..

Old 11-15-2013, 06:56 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,531,783 times
Hi Joy

Let’s talk grout OK...I can do this

yet, is it a bad thing to clean it - get liquids/chemicals down between the tiles?
So what did you spill, lol? You should be fine as long as you didn't stain the top of your tile. The tile was laid with mortar or thinset on the bottom of each tile. Do you have spaces in between each tile? That is where your grout will go. If you spilled something within the cracks and it is cleaned up and dry the grout will go right over that. Clean up what you can and once the grout is filled in the gaps between the tiles you should seal the grout If the tiles got stained on the top you could have a problem. Did you stain the top of the tiles? You will be fine if you have anon porous tile like glazed ceramic of porcelain.

related, that you’re handy/knowledgeable in? I know a little of this and a little of that

If so, what are your particular talents? I seem to have become very good at trimming paint.

a friend or family member who’s particularly handy in the DIY department you’d call? My hubby can do it all and I help him with most

Today’s Bonus Questions

I think it really depends on the ages you are and your maturity levels. It seems to even out as we get older. For instance an 18 year old and a 43 year old don't have so much in common but a 38 year old can have a lot in common 58 year old or even a young 65 year old For me I think 25 years would be the max...but that is my personal thought on that.

- 10 Years? A lot if you are 14 and he is 24
- 15 Years? Not so bad in the late 20's.
- 20 Years? Getting closer to the same maturity levels and life experiences after 35 or so.
- 25 Years? Pushing it but still doable if the older one has ayoung mind set and the yong one has a mature mind set
- 30 Years and greater?

Age doesn't matter? In some rare and special cases it really doesn't. Usually a very big gap is a mutual acceptance and a shared companionship.

Do you know a couple who have a lot of years in age difference? Not too big of a gap. I know one couple who is about 17 years apart. For them it is more of a companionship and friendship. She is 55 and he is 72. It works for them

who is either many years younger or older than you are? If I was attracted them then age doesn't matter does it

I dated a man for a short time who was 34 and I was 18. It would have never lasted. There was too much of a gap. He had so much more life experience while I was just a baby with no life experience.

Have a great weekend

Last edited by ylisa7; 11-15-2013 at 07:04 PM..

Old 11-15-2013, 06:56 PM

11,446 posts, read 9,393,489 times
Hello all,

1. I rent so I don't have to be handy. I know very few people so I can't comment on the DIY.
Well, my friend in NC seems to do a lot of work around his house and for his daughter who lives in MD.

2. Age doesn't matter. If two people are attracted to each other then they should go for it. My theory is there is just as good of a chance that a couple won't make it if they are the same age. I think it's quite possible that an older half of a couple could give the younger half the best years of his/her life.

3. My friend I just mentioned in NC is 13 years older than his wife. They have been married for 30+ years.

4. If I sensed chemistry with a younger woman I would go for it. Life is short and as mentioned above there is never a guarantee anyway.

5. Yes, I have some experience with dating younger.

Hope everyone has a great Saturday!

Old 11-15-2013, 07:27 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,104,559 times
Today's Questions:

Let’s talk grout

What'cha talkin' bout Willis? :dubious

I can set up my own computer but that's about it

I might know some folks

Today’s Bonus Questions

- 10 Years?
- 15 Years?
- 20 Years?
- 25 Years?
- 30 Years and greater?
Age doesn't matter?

My mom and dad had a huge age difference (15 years I believe)

who is either many years younger or older than you are? I'd consider the relationship provided that the age difference isn't too significant (beyond 10-12 years) ....

Nope

Old 11-15-2013, 07:54 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,042,462 times
Today's Questions:

Let’s talk grout

Would not know. House cleaning is not my speciality. Neither are tile floor questions.

Not having a wife, mistress, girl friend, kids, or anyone else depending on me to bring home the bacon, allows me to pay someone else do the handyman chores. My talents are limited to disposing of, with vengence, dust bunnies that start making demands.

Nope. I just blindly pick someone.

Today’s Bonus Questions

- 10 Years?
- 15 Years?
- 20 Years?
- 25 Years?
- 30 Years and greater?
Age doesn't matter?

I could care less. That is their business, not mine.

I do

I guess I would feel attracted to them. Not likely to happen as anymore I am far to set in my ways.

I have not. I am a real stick in the mud when it comes to relationships.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:53 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,772,732 times
[quote=JustJoy;32249012]Howdy, y’all

Today's Questions:

Let’s talk grout

yet, is it a bad thing to clean it - get liquids/chemicals down between the tiles? Yes/no, why? (& thank you) Yes.

related, that you’re handy/knowledgeable in? If so, what are your particular talents? I'm not that handy unfortunately.

a friend or family member who’s particularly handy in the DIY department you’d call? Yes. My husband would be my choice if he was still living.

Today’s Bonus Questions

- 10 Years?
- 15 Years? This
- 20 Years?
- 25 Years?
- 30 Years and greater?
Age doesn't matter?

Do you know a couple who have a lot of years in age difference? I use to but they are dead now.

who is either many years younger or older than you are? Many years younger.....no way.

of you? Yes. When I was in my early 20's I dated a guy 13 years older then me for about a year....what a jerk he was......or should I say he still is from what I hear. Feel free to give details if you wish.

Today in History:

1981 - Luke marries Laura on General Hospital (16 million watch)[had to do it] I was one of those 16 million who watched! lol!
laid off

Quote of the Day:

Hope everyone has a great weekend .......right back at ya,Just Joy.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:30 PM

30,915 posts, read 16,512,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoy View Post
Howdy, y’all

Today's Questions:

Let’s talk grout

My guess is vacuum/sweep okay but chemical stuff no. Reason being the chemical stuff could be absorbed in the floor itself (what's below the tile) and eventually affect the tile/grout. But that's just a guess. You could call the installer maybe? That's a guess too.

nope

Today’s Bonus Questions

it just kind of hit me: if this guy spends so much time in the dog house, where's the dog spend its time?

- 10 Years?
- 15 Years?
- 20 Years?
- 25 Years?
- 30 Years and greater?
Age doesn't matter? This- The heart wants what the heart wants. Logic has nothing to do with it.

don't know.

Today in History:

laid off

Quote of the Day:

Thanks, JJ.
Thinking of spending this wkend hiding under the bed.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:56 PM

589 posts, read 7,658,686 times

Today's Questions:

Let’s talk grout

yet, is it a bad thing to clean it - get liquids/chemicals down between the tiles? Yes/no, why? (& thank you) Yup, listen to Lisa..she got it right and she knows what she's on about.

related, that you’re handy/knowledgeable in? If so, what are your particular talents? What, me...know anything about construction? Perish the thought. Why, aside from advanced carpentry, journyman painter (I HATE painting), structural engineering (civil), plumbing, electrical, drwall, window and door systems...I know nothing.

a friend or family member who’s particularly handy in the DIY department you’d call? Nope, they all call me.

Today’s Bonus Questions

- 10 Years?
- 15 Years?
- 20 Years? Right around here, I'd say
- 25 Years?
- 30 Years and greater?
Age doesn't matter? And that's the truth

Do you know a couple who have a lot of years in age difference? One couple in particular comes to mind

who is either many years younger or older than you are? Older wouldn't bother me, significantly younger (as in: young enough to be my kid) is another story.

of you? Feel free to give details if you wish. Yes, once long ago - she was 16 or 17 years older (and the details are X rated).

Today in History:

1907 - Oklahoma becomes 46th state WAHOO! Let's wait 'bout 6 an a haff years then name a battleship after it.
USS Oklahoma (c. 1917)

1939 - Al Capone freed from Alcatraz jail So Al, what's next - headin' down to the free clinic?
1963 - Touch-tone telephone introduced Fat fingered people around the world rejoice and smash their rotary dial phones!
1973 - President Nixon authorizes construction of Alaskan pipeline And doesn't even ask for a kickback because "I am not a crook!"
1981 - Luke marries Laura on General Hospital (16 million watch)[had to do it] Guess I wasn't one of 16 million...
1984 - 14th Shuttle Mission (51A) -Discovery 2- lands at Kennedy Center OK guys, have your passports ready and don't get the TSA jerks upset with you!
House rules, including failure to pay taxes Unlike Tricky Dicky Nixon - Chucky WAS a crook...
laid off Hundreds of Twinkie junkies comitted suicide upon hearing this news.

A very pleasant night to you all.

Ron

Last edited by Da Grouch; 11-15-2013 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: Hit the damned "submit reply" button too soon...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics