Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 03:52 PM

44,468 posts, read 20,260,251 times

Advertisements

Today's Questions:
I recently had something come up that made me wish I was a bit more ‘handy’ around the house, it’s a tile/grout thing and even searching the bowels of the internet offered no help

So I think you probably know where I’m going with this . . .

Let’s talk grout

Do you know If a tile floor has been freshly laid (like within the past week) and it hasn’t been grouted yet, is it a bad thing to clean it - get liquids/chemicals down between the tiles? Yes/no, why? (& thank you) I'd say yes. With coatings (paint, varnish, etc.) and wallcoverings, there is a curing period when the surface should not be cleaned. I'm guessing the same is true for grout.

If you didn’t know the answer to the above, are there other areas around the house, construction/DIY related, that you’re handy/knowledgeable in? If so, what are your particular talents? Long ago, I was a professional coatings and wallcoverings salesperson and gave clinics on how to apply those materials. I'm also pretty good at fixing minor plumbing problems in my 98-year-old home.

If you’re like me and other than the basics (how/where to use WD40) have no clue whatsoever, is there a friend or family member who’s particularly handy in the DIY department you’d call? Not anyone I'd feel comfortable calling unless it was a real emergency. I've had to do that twice in the 23 years I've owned my home. My next door neighbor can build or fix just about anything.

Today’s Bonus Questions

Today's Bonus Questions come to us from the romantic guy in Central Arizona . . . who always ends up in the dog house . . . somehow

Let's talk about Age differences between two people falling in love.

How many years would you say are a significant age difference between two people?
- 10 Years?
- 15 Years?
- 20 Years?
- 25 Years?
- 30 Years and greater?
Age doesn't matter? It matters, but depends entirely on the ages of the parties. I think a 40-year-old man is way out of line if he dates an 18- or 20-year-old girl. But I think a 20-year age gap is not a big deal once the younger of the two people has reached 30 or so.

Do you know a couple who have a lot of years in age difference? The biggest age difference of a couple I know who is still married is 16 years. They've been married more than 20 years and are very happy together. Another friend of mine, at age 57, married a girl who had just turned 30, and the marriage only lasted a couple of years. She had a lot of problems and clearly just needed a daddy figure in her life. My friend was devastated when his wife left him for someone her own age. I know a few couples with about a 10-year age gap. I happen to be almost 8 years older than my boyfriend of more than 2 years.

This is for both single, or married/involved individuals - How would you feel if were attracted to somebody who is either many years younger or older than you are? If I fell in love with a man 20 years younger than I, I'd be fine with that. Any younger, though, and I don't think it would feel right.

Are you, or have you ever been involved with somebody with a significant age difference between both of you? Feel free to give details if you wish. Yes. My current boyfriend. See above.

Happy weekend, everybody!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:05 PM

11,864 posts, read 11,088,696 times
I just wanted to say thank you, thank you, thank you for the feedback on my tile/grout dilemma Just one of those things where common sense was saying it probably wouldn't be too good (so I didn't), but wanted to double-check. I really want use of that room again.

What those jerks (construction guys) did was lay the tile, with spacing for the grout, but pretty much other than one small row and around the little border tile edges nada no grout. Course the room is filthy because this wasn't just laying new tile in a room - it was expanding the room. Wall down, wall back up Anywhoo, landlord had to make a quick trip to the states to see a relative that's not doing good and I don't think he quite realized where they stopped.

But life's an adventure so just have to go with it Hope everyone's having a great weekend, JJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 09:25 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,584,134 times
Today's Questions:
I recently had something come up that made me wish I was a bit more ‘handy’ around the house,
it’s a tile/grout thing and even searching the bowels of the internet offered no help

So I think you probably know where I’m going with this . . .

Let’s talk grout

Do you know If a tile floor has been freshly laid (like within the past week) and it hasn’t been grouted
yet, is it a bad thing to clean it - get liquids/chemicals down between the tiles? Yes/no, why? (& thank you) I don't personally know.

If you didn’t know the answer to the above, are there other areas around the house, construction/DIY
related, that you’re handy/knowledgeable in? If so, what are your particular talents? What I know is very very simple stuff, like filling nail holes in the wall with white toothpaste and things like that.

If you’re like me and other than the basics (how/where to use WD40) have no clue whatsoever, is there
a friend or family member who’s particularly handy in the DIY department you’d call? I have a friend I can call if I need help, but I try not to call him and his son unless I absolutely need their help. I live in an apartment, so most things that go wrong in the apt. is fixed by the maintainance man here.

Today’s Bonus Questions
Today's Bonus Questions come to us from the romantic guy in Central Arizona . . . who always ends up
in the dog house . . . somehow

Let's talk about Age differences between two people falling in love.

How many years would you say are a significant age difference between two people?
- 10 Years? I'd prefer not to go beyond a 10 yr. age difference.
- 15 Years?
- 20 Years?
- 25 Years?
- 30 Years and greater?
Age doesn't matter? I think age does matter.

Do you know a couple who have a lot of years in age difference? No.

This is for both single, or married/involved individuals - How would you feel if were attracted to somebody
who is either many years younger or older than you are? That is hard, I am 60, so if someone were say 20 years older than me they would be 80, which is way too much. If they were 40 that would not be as bad, but I think I would feel like I was "robbing the cradle". If someone was 40 and we really loved each other and neither one cared about the age difference I guess I could do it.

Are you, or have you ever been involved with somebody with a significant age difference between both
of you? Feel free to give details if you wish. When I was 17 I had a huge crush on someone that was 27, which is a big age difference at that age. We never got involved and he went back to where he lived which was far from me.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:37 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,260,043 times
1963 - Touch-tone telephone introduced

I remember getting our first touch tone phone.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:16 PM

44,468 posts, read 20,260,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
1963 - Touch-tone telephone introduced

I remember getting our first touch tone phone.
I got touch-tone phone service at home for the first time just three years ago! I never had a need for it until I got DSL Internet service, and that was in 2010.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics