Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 08:06 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,510 posts, read 30,648,867 times

Advertisements

Happy Halloween!

Today's Question:
Time for a campfire story! What is your favorite scary story?
If it's not a familiar one to most, tell us the highlights . . . if you dare.

Bonus Question:
If you could appear to others as anything for one day, what would it be?

Foodie Question:
What's your "all-mine, hands-off!" Halloween candy?

Have you ever bobbed for apples? How did it go?

What's the lousiest (Halloween) treat you got as a kid?

Just for fun:
If you have a favorite costume party or Halloween day memory, please tell us.

Today in History:
1517 Protestant reformer Martin Luther posted 95 theses on the door of the Castle Church in Wittenberg, Germany
1820 New York author Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," first published
1864 Nevada admitted as the 36th US state
1913 Dedication of the Lincoln Highway, the first automobile highway across the US
1920 Supreme Court upheld trademark violations for the Coca- Cola Company against the Koke Company of America
1923 1st of 160 consecutive days of 100 degrees Fahrenheit at Marble Bar, Australia
1941 After 14 years of work, Mount Rushmore sculpture completed
1999 Yachtsman Jesse Martin returned to Melbourne after 11 mos. circumnavigating the world, solo, non-stop & unassisted

Today’s Word:
Hal·low·een [hal-uh-ween, -oh-een, hol-] noun
Shortening of all hallow eve/evening; hallow - middle English for holy; later "Eve of All Saints"
eve as in the day before All Saints Day, November 1st - as Christmas Eve is the day before Christmas;
last night of the year in the Celtic calendar, also called Old Year's Night

Today Is:
Halloween, aka All Hallow's Eve
Caramel Apple Day
Knock-Knock Jokes Day
Samhain, old Celtic end of harvest

This Week Is:
Prescription Errors Awareness Week
Give Wildlife a Brake Week
Chicken Soup for the Soul Week

Today's Picture:
The picture today is courtesy of animalcrazy. Check out many more on her album. Thanks for sharing, AC!

Whatever your plans, have a happy and safe Halloween!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 08:10 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,206,798 times
Default Today's Halloween Questions ^,..,^ Thursday 31 October 2013
Happy Halloween!

Today's Question:

Lover's lane finding the hook hand on the cars door handle....

Bonus Question:

SATX the Great!

Foodie Question:

Uh.....probably pecans. Only because they are so plentiful here.

Just for fun:

Today in History:
1517 Protestant reformer Martin Luther posted 95 theses on the door of the Castle Church in Wittenberg, Germany
1820 New York author Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," first published
1864 Nevada admitted as the 36th US state I'm glad what happens there stays there.
1913 Dedication of the Lincoln Highway, the first automobile highway across the US
1920 Supreme Court upheld trademark violations for the Coca- Cola Company against the Koke Company of America
1923 1st of 160 consecutive days of 100 degrees Fahrenheit at Marble Bar, Australia
1999 Yachtsman Jesse Martin returned to Melbourne after 11 mos. circumnavigating the world, solo, non-stop & unassisted

Today’s Word:
Shortening of all hallow eve/evening; hallow - middle English for holy; later "Eve of All Saints"
eve as in the day before All Saints Day, November 1st - as Christmas Eve is the day before Christmas;

Today Is:
Caramel Apple Day
Knock-Knock Jokes Day

This Week Is:

Today's Picture:
The picture today is courtesy of animalcrazy. Check out many more on her album. Thanks for sharing, AC!

Nice pic AC!

Thanks BJH! Great job!

Old 10-30-2013, 08:12 PM

259,024 posts, read 91,044,479 times
Happy Halloween!

Today's Question:

Bonus Question:
If you could appear to others as anything for one day, what would it be? A Black Rhino

Foodie Question:
What's your "all-mine, hands-off!" Halloween candy? Sugar free chocolate coated coconut

Have you ever bobbed for apples? How did it go? Yes. I didn't drown.

What's the lousiest (Halloween) treat you got as a kid? Stale Popcorn Balls....

Just for fun:
If you have a favorite costume party or Halloween day memory, please tell us. I'm hoping for tomorrow night. Photo shoot @ Hooters with all the servers in costume.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Caramel Apple Day
Knock-Knock Jokes Day

This Week Is:

Today's Picture:

Old 10-30-2013, 08:17 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,104,559 times
Today's Question:
Once upon a time ... A girl named Chatteress became a zombie .... Muhahahahaha!

Bonus Question:
Not sure

Foodie Question:
Don't really have one ... Maybe Kit Kat

Never

Probably that icky stuff they call candy corn

Just for fun:
I remember once as a young girl, I wanted to be Cyndi Lauper ... As my older sister was fixing me up ... She kept calling me Boy George LOL!

Old 10-30-2013, 09:10 PM

21,730 posts, read 8,867,054 times
Today's Question:
I don't know any scary stories, but my aunt told me that she saw a ghost at her front door late one night when she was a teenager.

Bonus Question:
A tall, thin woman who can buy any style she likes right off the rack and have it fit perfectly.

Foodie Question:
Smartees

No, I've actually never done that, and I don't know anyone who has.

I used to really dislike getting jelly beans or taffy, except the black ones.

Just for fun:
DH and I got married on October 30th in Nevada at one of those walk-in wedding chapels. A local minister was paged to perform the ceremony, and he arrived with his wife and two children -- who were dressed in Halloween costumes! It turns out that, since October 31 is Nevada's Statehood Day, they trick or treat the night before. The irony is that my first marriage took place on Halloween, and I was determined not to do that again. We had planned to elope on October 23. But a death in the family caused us to have to postpone our plans for a week, and it ended up being on "Halloween" anyway!

Thanks, bjh!

Old 10-30-2013, 09:33 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,772,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Happy Halloween!

Today's Question:
The legend of the Jersey Devil.

Bonus Question:

Foodie Question:
What's your "all-mine, hands-off!" Halloween candy? Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Mounds.

Have you ever bobbed for apples? Yes. How did it go? I did okay.

What's the lousiest (Halloween) treat you got as a kid? Those yucky popcorn balls and a hard boiled egg!

Just for fun:
If you have a favorite costume party or Halloween day memory, please tell us. My mom was very good with make-up and she'd dress up as a vampire and answer the door. I'll never forget the look on my friend's face when he seen mom, especially since she knew he would be coming so she let me open the door and then she jumped out....lol....I thought he was going to wet his pants. Wish I had the picture to share with you all.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Caramel Apple Day
Knock-Knock Jokes Day

This Week Is:

Today's Picture:

What do you call a ghost who gets too close to a bonfire? A toasty ghosty.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:35 PM

44,753 posts, read 62,104,060 times
Today's Question:
Mag Mike. Satx, and Nomad were sitting at a local pizzeria table during lunchtime, discussing some of the local urban legends.

"According to Mike, his friend Wit-Nit walked into the cemetery on a full moon night, and at the stroke of midnight the hand of a skeleton reached up out of the ground and grabbed his leg,"

"Yeah, whatever," Satx replied as he rolled his eyes.

"So, um, what happened then?" Satx stuttered as he stared at Mike with wide and fearful eyes.

"Well, they say that he was pulled down under the dirt and, trapped there, he died of suffocation," Mike answered, glancing back and forth at his two friends.

"Wow," Satx said as he broke a piece off his pizza and popped it into his mouth.

"Get real. That's one of the oldest stories told about Data City Cemetery. Everyone knows it's a bunch of baloney," Satx said, looking at Mike with disdain.

"Okay then. Tomorrow night is a full moon. I dare you to stick a knife in the ground at midnight and leave it there. We'll check in the morning to see if you really did it."Mike answered, matching Satx's look with a smirk.

"Fine," Satx said as he shoved his hand across the table. Satx reached over his plate, grasped Mike's hand firmly, and shook it. The deal was made.

The next night, Satx crept silently into the dark and foreboding cemetery. It was far spookier than he remembered it being during the day. Finally, he found a fresh grave plot that had recently been filled in. He quickly removed the jack-knife from his jacket pocket, and unfolded the blade. As he watched the moon's reflection dance over the silver blade, he realized that his hand was shaking.

Whatever...it's just a story, just do it he uttered.

Squatting down, he closed his eyes, and slammed the blade into the freshly packed earth. He waited a few moments.

Nothing. Phew he sighed...

He started to stand, but at that very moment something tugged on his jacket. He tried harder to stand up and realized that something had a firm grip on his jacket and was pulling him down toward the ground. His heart froze and he screamed at the top of his lungs until all of his breath was expelled, and he passed out.

The next morning, Mike and Nomad found him asleep by the grave. When they woke him, he started to tell the story, and then they all quickly looked down at his jacket where he'd been grabbed and pulled to the ground. Looking at each other Mike and Nomad burst into hysterical laughter. Satx just sat there staring at his jacket, not realizing it's corner was pinned to the ground by the blade that he, himself, had thrust through it.

Bonus Question:
If you could appear to others as anything for one day, what would it be? Krazy Klown.

Foodie Question:
What's your "all-mine, hands-off!" Halloween candy? Candy Apple.

Have you ever bobbed for apples? Yes. How did it go? Not so well, almost broke a tooth.

What's the lousiest (Halloween) treat you got as a kid? A old dirty penny.

Just for fun:
If you have a favorite costume party or Halloween day memory, please tell us. You're looking at eons ago, probably when Caesar, Romulus and I went to Helen's house in Troy and scared the wits outta everyone.

Boo, enjoy the day and better yet the night...

Old 10-30-2013, 09:54 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,206,798 times
LOL! That SATX is such a dork! Great story Nit...I mean Wit-Nit. Glad you're retired so you're not tempted to quit your day job! Haha! Was purty funny though.

Last edited by SATX56; 10-30-2013 at 10:03 PM..

Old 10-30-2013, 11:28 PM

39,222 posts, read 23,199,902 times
Today's Question:
Time for a campfire story! What is your favorite scary story? Sorry, I don't have a favorite.

Bonus Question:
If you could appear to others as anything for one day, what would it be? The Invisible Man.

Foodie Question:
What's your "all-mine, hands-off!" Halloween candy? Reese's peanut butter cups and Milky Way bars.

Have you ever bobbed for apples? How did it go? Never did this.

What's the lousiest (Halloween) treat you got as a kid? The "Dum-Dums" lollipops.

Just for fun:
If you have a favorite costume party or Halloween day memory, please tell us. At this one large insurance company where I used to work, one of the claims adjusters came dressed as an injured claimant, complete with "bloody" bandages and crutches. At another insurance company, the manager I worked for came dressed as Indiana Jones one year and a cowboy the next year.

Happy Halloween! (Don't eat too much candy.)

Old 10-30-2013, 11:41 PM

34,383 posts, read 20,651,584 times
Today's Question:

i like "real" native american legends, spooky ones. One of the best ones are about the Little People. One such story involves a man who was mowing his lawn and felt himself being slapped in the face. Later, he told the medicine man about it, who laughed and said that he had accidentally ran over a Little Person. They can be invisible if they want.
Well, the man did not believe in Little People until one came to him. The Little Person said he was lost and wanted the man to show him the way to his Village.
The story goes that the man showed him and then the Little Person invited him to eat. Long story short, when the man got back to his house, 50 years had passed and his wife had passed away and his house was now an old house falling down-crumbled on itself.
The Little People are a legend from several tribes. This one I heard was from the Great Lakes area.

Bonus Question:
God. I would make it a long day. And there would be hell to pay.

Foodie Question:
baby snicker bars

Taffy. I hate taffy.

Just for fun:
I was a pirate. It was all home made. I even had hair on my chest in the form of coffee beans. But the patch made my eye water, so I didn't wear it.

Today Is:
Caramel Apple Day
Knock-Knock Jokes Day

This Week Is:

Last edited by _redbird_; 10-31-2013 at 12:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics