Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 07:00 AM

7,448 posts, read 5,553,817 times

Advertisements

Happy Halloween!

Today's Question:
Time for a campfire story! What is your favorite scary story? Bloody Mary
If it's not a familiar one to most, tell us the highlights . . . if you dare. Something about her killing everyone if you said her name three times.

Bonus Question:
If you could appear to others as anything for one day, what would it be? a cat

Foodie Question:
What's your "all-mine, hands-off!" Halloween candy? Snickers

Have you ever bobbed for apples? How did it go? yes, never my favorite thing to do.

What's the lousiest (Halloween) treat you got as a kid? a toothbrush from a neighbor who was a dentist

Just for fun:
If you have a favorite costume party or Halloween day memory, please tell us. not just one day. it was every Halloween as a kid. The parade we did at school and trick or treating with my siblings and friends on Halloween night and getting a ton of candy that would last until Thanksgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 07:39 AM
Status: "Civility needs to make a return." (set 9 days ago)

4,735 posts, read 3,307,556 times
Happy Halloween!

Today's Question:
Time for a campfire story! What is your favorite scary story?
If it's not a familiar one to most, tell us the highlights . . . if you dare. Nothing special here just the typical kid stuff.

Bonus Question:
If you could appear to others as anything for one day, what would it be? A beautiful long haired cat.

Foodie Question:
What's your "all-mine, hands-off!" Halloween candy? Anything chocolate.

Have you ever bobbed for apples? How did it go? Yes, as I recall I got one.

What's the lousiest (Halloween) treat you got as a kid? Probably an apple.

Just for fun:
If you have a favorite costume party or Halloween day memory, please tell us. My Mom always made my costumes. I usually won a prize at the Halloween party at school.

Today in History:
1517 Protestant reformer Martin Luther posted 95 theses on the door of the Castle Church in Wittenberg, Germany
1820 New York author Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," first published
1864 Nevada admitted as the 36th US state
1913 Dedication of the Lincoln Highway, the first automobile highway across the US
1920 Supreme Court upheld trademark violations for the Coca- Cola Company against the Koke Company of America
1923 1st of 160 consecutive days of 100 degrees Fahrenheit at Marble Bar, Australia
1941 After 14 years of work, Mount Rushmore sculpture completed
1999 Yachtsman Jesse Martin returned to Melbourne after 11 mos. circumnavigating the world, solo, non-stop & unassisted

Today’s Word:
Hal·low·een [hal-uh-ween, -oh-een, hol-] noun
Shortening of all hallow eve/evening; hallow - middle English for holy; later "Eve of All Saints"
eve as in the day before All Saints Day, November 1st - as Christmas Eve is the day before Christmas;
last night of the year in the Celtic calendar, also called Old Year's Night

Today Is:
Halloween, aka All Hallow's Eve
Caramel Apple Day
Knock-Knock Jokes Day
Samhain, old Celtic end of harvest We finally finished ours too!!!!!

This Week Is:
Prescription Errors Awareness Week I have caught errors in my prescriptions before.
Give Wildlife a Brake Week
Chicken Soup for the Soul Week I love these books.

Today's Picture:
The picture today is courtesy of animalcrazy. Check out many more on her album. Thanks for sharing, AC!

Whatever your plans, have a happy and safe Halloween!

Old 10-31-2013, 08:31 AM

3,244 posts, read 1,322,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Happy Halloween!

Good Thursday morning and Happy Halloween my bjh and Peeps!!!

bjh, I LOVE YOUR GRAPHICS !!! THANK YOU FOR PUTTING THEM UP!

Today's Question:
If it's not a familiar one to most, tell us the highlights . . . if you dare.
Okay, true story... Back in the early 90's my sister rented the downstairs apt of an old house in Jacksonville, in a neighborhood not to far from where we grew up. The landlord was still making the upstairs of this house into an apt. Terri and I were sitting in her livingroom where the original staircase still stood. Terri loved it because she could decorate the stairs and rails and all that good stuff. Since it was close to Christmas, she had the garland and things on the rail.
While we were sitting there sipping Christmas tea and gossiping we heard foosteps coming DOWN the stairs. The stairs were closed off at the top landing. No way could anyone come down those stairs. We sat there looking at each other, then the stairs then at each other again and cracked up laughing when I told her that perhaps Oscar's sister had moved in.
Now for those of you who aren't familiar with "Oscar", he is the haunt that lives in the house I grew up in. For real. Anyway, Terri decided to name her haunt, "Matilda". She said it just seemed right to her.
Several days later she was chatting with the landlord about what happened, and his jaw near hit the floor. Matilda was HIS sister's name, who also died in the house when she was 14, from polio.

All true.

Bonus Question:
If you could appear to others as anything for one day, what would it be? I would be MY version of YOUR Granny, who would comfort you when you are sad... listen to your dreams and encourage you to follow them. I'd make your favorite things to eat and drink, and they would NEVER cause you ANY harm in ANY way! Then you could eat/drink all you wanted.

I would sit in my old rocker with you on my lap and tell you all the wonderful things you did when you were too little to remember now. I would tell you all about your parent when they were little too, and the things they said and did. I would snuggle you and give you kisses and warm hugs, and sing songs from long, long ago... teaching you how they go so you will remember them and pass them along too.

You would find your favorite treats in the big pockets of my apron, and I'll always pretend that I didn't know you were sneaking them, even though you giggled joyfully!!!

I would listen to all you had to say with open ears and heart, and would let you know how proud I am of you in every way.

I would tell you secrets that only we would share, and let you know how very, very precious you are in my eyes... cherished and loved... just the way God made you!

Foodie Question:
What's your "all-mine, hands-off!" Halloween candy? White chocolate, but I can't say I wouldn't share... because I would. I'd send everyone one of you a basket of the yummy stuff if I could!

Have you ever bobbed for apples? How did it go? Yes... many times growing up, but I never got a one!

What's the lousiest (Halloween) treat you got as a kid? Candy corn. {{{{{BLAH}}}}}}

Just for fun:
If you have a favorite costume party or Halloween day memory, please tell us. My favorite costume was dressing up as Groucho Marx. In 1977. Yeah... I was that cool!

Today’s Word:
Shortening of all hallow eve/evening; hallow - middle English for holy; later "Eve of All Saints"
eve as in the day before All Saints Day, November 1st - as Christmas Eve is the day before Christmas;
Coolness bjh!!!

Today Is:
Caramel Apple Day
Knock-Knock Jokes Day
Samhain, old Celtic end of harvest

Today's Picture:
The picture today is courtesy of animalcrazy. Check out many more on her album. Thanks for sharing, AC!

Thank you AC for the pic!!! Awesome!!!

Thanks bjh for making todays Q's so much fun!!!

Have a fun and a very Happy Halloween Everyone!!!

Old 10-31-2013, 08:39 AM

44,475 posts, read 20,273,814 times
Happy Halloween!

Today's Question:
Time for a campfire story! What is your favorite scary story? Gee, I don't know any. We made up stories when I was a kid, but I don't remember any specific ones.

Bonus Question:
If you could appear to others as anything for one day, what would it be? A rock star. *lol*

Foodie Question:
What's your "all-mine, hands-off!" Halloween candy? Hershey dark chocolate kisses.

Have you ever bobbed for apples? Yes. How did it go? I'm terrible at it!

What's the lousiest (Halloween) treat you got as a kid? Those awful orange Circus Peanut candies. My grandma used to make up little bags of them for trick-or-treaters. We all hated them.

Just for fun:
If you have a favorite costume party or Halloween day memory, please tell us. I went to a lot of great costume parties when I was younger. My gang of friends used to have a Halloween costume party every year when we were in our 20s and 30s. One of my faves was when my boyfriend was dressed as Superman and I was dressed as Supergirl. We looked pretty cool. Plus, it was a really fun party with great music and very fun party games.

Today’s Word:
I knew that! We hear about it in church every year in October.

Today Is:
Halloween, aka All Hallow's Eve Fun!
Caramel Apple Day I never much cared for these. Even when I was a kid, I found them to hard to eat.
Knock-Knock Jokes Day Knock Knock. Who's there? Atomic. Atomic who? Atomic ache kept me home from school today. (I just made that up! )
Samhain, old Celtic end of harvest Farmers aren't finished harvesting in my area; looks like they've got another week or two to go.

Thanks for the great Halloween photos, animalcrazy, and thanks for the questions, bjh!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:02 AM

15,443 posts, read 21,510,447 times
Today's Question: http://s9.rimg.info/c8e518e0efcfbf56...627a20f892.gif
Hmmm. As a former wildlifer, I have several spooky tales but probably the scariest camping story is the one told to me by a family member who was the first law enforcement official to reach the site of the 1977 Camp Scott, Oklahoma girl scout murders. Most of this terrible story is related to varying degrees online.

http://s15.rimg.info/2c1311d63d59411...e020af3b8c.gifBonus Question: http://s17.rimg.info/b2bc149cf969a01...3a65b94b25.gif
If you could appear to others as anything for one day, what would it be?
The Invisible Man?

Foodie Question: http://s15.rimg.info/dfdec4feb711613...c12d220759.gif
What's your "all-mine, hands-off!" Halloween candy?
Candy corn although all of it is "hands-off" anymore.

Have you ever bobbed for apples? How did it go?
I don't ever recall actually doing this at a party or get-together.

What's the lousiest (Halloween) treat you got as a kid?
Apples and oranges.

http://s15.rimg.info/63ebf9af7734750...a2f611cdbb.gifJust for fun: http://s15.rimg.info/d6dc7d5efc5ddb4...69914a5672.gif
If you have a favorite costume party or Halloween day memory, please tell us.
Riding bicycles all around town with my friends and literally having a grocery bag full of candy at the end of the evening. Yep, I still have all my teeth. My pancrease is not doing so well though.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:05 AM

13,804 posts, read 10,159,748 times
Happy Halloween!

Today's Question:
Time for a campfire story! What is your favorite scary story? Don't have any.

Bonus Question:
If you could appear to others as anything for one day, what would it be? Jason.

Foodie Question:
What's your "all-mine, hands-off!" Halloween candy? Don't have any.

Have you ever bobbed for apples? How did it go? No.

What's the lousiest (Halloween) treat you got as a kid? Didn't get any.

Just for fun:
If you have a favorite costume party or Halloween day memory, please tell us. I've not done that.

Today Is:
Caramel Apple Day
Knock-Knock Jokes Day
Samhain, old Celtic end of harvest

This Week Is:
Prescription Errors Awareness Week
Give Wildlife a Brake Week
Chicken Soup for the Soul Week

Today's Picture:

Thank you, BJH, and Animalcrazy, and a great, and maybe scary, Halloween to all.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:09 AM

24,696 posts, read 26,281,122 times
Today's Question:
Way back in the old days. the adults would place scarecrows, goblins and ghosts in the swamp behind my grandmas house and at the scary part of a story the would set them on fire. Kinda scary for 4 and 5 year old kids.

Bonus Question:

Foodie Question:
Anything Hershey's.

Ya, it seemed to go OK.

Candy corn and popcorn balls.

Just for fun:
Nothing special.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:28 AM

54,513 posts, read 33,996,018 times
Today's Question:
Time for a campfire story! What is your favorite scary story? - My life story...

If it's not a familiar one to most, tell us the highlights . . . if you dare. - Well.. Okay..

Airplane - bored to death - YouTube

Bonus Question:
If you could appear to others as anything for one day, what would it be? -

Foodie Question:
What's your "all-mine, hands-off!" Halloween candy? - Sugar-free candy.. that's sure to keep people away..

Have you ever bobbed for apples? How did it go? - No.. I've always walked to the produce section for apples..

What's the lousiest (Halloween) treat you got as a kid? - Well.. okay, I'll tell you the other part of my life story..

Old 10-31-2013, 09:41 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,590,229 times
Today's Question:
Time for a campfire story! What is your favorite scary story? I just know the basics of the story...There is a rash of murders in this town on lover lane. Of course this young couple that doesn't take it all seriously goes up there to make out. While making out they hear a strage noise off in the trees. The brave young man decides to get out and investigate. He doesn't return for a long while and the girl is getting quite afraid. All of a sudden she hears this strange noise on the roof of the car. She sits there for awhile, very frightened and uncertain what to do. This noise continues and she finally decides to get out and investigate. When she gets out she finds the dead body of her boyfriend hanging from a tree over the car with his shoes scraping the roof of the car. That is honestly a horrible way to tell this story, but it is all I remember of it.

Bonus Question:
If you could appear to others as anything for one day, what would it be? Maybe a real famous person, like a famous actress or female rock star and see how people reacted.

Foodie Question:
What's your "all-mine, hands-off!" Halloween candy? Most anything with chocolate. I especially like Reeses peanut butter cups and Mounds or Almond Joy.

Have you ever bobbed for apples? How did it go? Gosh, one time and it went horrible. I was a kid and went to a neighbors Halloween party. They did bobbing for apples and when I was trying to do it someone came up behind me and pushed my head into the water and held it down. It completely freaked me out and I began crying and went home.

What's the lousiest (Halloween) treat you got as a kid? A penny.

Just for fun:
If you have a favorite costume party or Halloween day memory, please tell us. I remember being a kid and my parents let us go out without them. I was with a couple of my siblings and we stayed out late and went to a lot of houses and got a ton of candy. We ate a lot of it along the way and had a lot of fun.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:46 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,527 posts, read 30,675,516 times
Today's Question:
Btw any scary story will do. Doesn't have to have been told at a campfire. Just that is kind of a good place for them. In elementary school they told us the Golden Arm tale which was a bit different from the way it's described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Arm As a young kid that creeped me out good.

Bonus Question:
a dog

Foodie Question:
Almond Joy.
I'll share, too, just couldn't resist the graphic above.

Comforting to know I'm not the only one who couldn't get a darned apple.

My first thought was popcorn balls wrapped in foil. None of the neighborhood kids liked them, and our parents threw them away, since they weren't a factory wrapped candy. But from some of your answers I remember at least one toothbrush and a pencil.

Just for fun:
In the spirit of bobbing for apples there is a game where a string ties a piece of cake to dangle from a clothesline. Like the apples it sounds easier than it actually is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics