Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 02:21 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,508,612 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, October 15th 2013. Have just waved goodbye to my daughter, her partner, her mother-in-law, her sister-in-law (who are both visiting from England) and my very cute grandson. A lovely two-day visit. Grandson is doing very well with lots of genuine (not windy) smiles!

Today’s Question:

How did you travel to and from elementary school? Was there ever a memorable event that happened on those journeys that you can share with us?

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you went for a walk or hike for pleasure or exercise?

Bonus Question:

Have you ever been told you look like someone famous, or been mistaken for someone famous? If yes, who did they think you look like?

Just for fun:

Today is National Grouch Day. What might make you grouchy today?

Thought for the Day:

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. (T.S. Eliot)

Today Is:

National Grouch Day
National Mushroom Day
National White Cane Safety Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 02:32 AM
bjh

60,510 posts, read 30,648,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, October 15th 2013. Have just waved goodbye to my daughter, her partner, her mother-in-law, her sister-in-law (who are both visiting from England) and my very cute grandson. A lovely two-day visit. Grandson is doing very well with lots of genuine (not windy) smiles!
I've never believed the "It's just gas" theories anyway.

Today’s Question:
How did you travel to and from elementary school? Was there ever a memorable event that happened on those journeys that you can share with us?
Mom usually drove us. At about 7th grade I walked once with a friend when the car wouldn't start and we were late. A policeman saw my friend and I headed to school, thought we were playing hooky, and gave us a lift in his squad car.

Extra Credit Question:
I walk a few times a week. Most recent, just the other day.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever been told you look like someone famous, or been mistaken for someone famous? If yes, who did they think you look like?
Who me? Nah.

Just for fun:

Thought for the Day:
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. (T.S. Eliot)
Sky's the limit.

Thanks, Kobber.

Last edited by bjh; 10-15-2013 at 02:40 AM..

Old 10-15-2013, 02:35 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,206,798 times
Default Today’s Questions – Tuesday, October 15th, 2013.

Today’s Question:

I walked some of the time.

Extra Credit Question:

Not long!

Bonus Question:

Nope!

Just for fun:

Most anything.....usually the women in my life!

Thought for the Day:

Today Is:

National Grouch Day
National Mushroom Day
Thanks Kobber!

Old 10-15-2013, 02:37 AM

16,913 posts, read 16,235,965 times

~ Sometimes I rode the bus but I often walked through the forest to get there. It was a beautiful walk, right on the edge of a huge forest and my entire route was on a little paved path. I lived right on the edge of that forest and grew up in that forest. I learned a lot there and it was the happiest time of my life up until dad effed it up and the family got split up.

~ Ages. I must try to ~back on my feet and go somewhere again, cameras in hand. We have thousands of photo's saved of our outings in the wilderness and it would be so fine to try and continue that hobby. Thanks for the reminder, Kobberbear!

~ Mostly it was that time when I went out to a club on a Halloween night and people were all excited about how I looked like Jack Nicholson. Lol, it was pretty cool.

~ Oh, who knows...wife, mods, stupid people on the street, idiots with leaf blowers...we'll see.
There's sure to be some of that about every day. I want to go live with a CD girlfriend.

Today Is:

National Grouch Day ~
National Mushroom Day ~ I have seen the angels and their children.
National White Cane Safety Day ~ Sugar cane is a dominant crop down here. About this time each year the crops get burned and it will sometimes rain ashes all over where I live, far east of the fields.
Those fields have great wildlife that includes the Florida panthers and all sorts of good snakes, including a large population of King snakes.

***** Always a happy morning with you, Kobber! You're really nice for a lady that won't eat pizza. A smiley day and night of splendor to you and our friends here in our hideaway! EAT! *****

Last edited by rainroosty; 10-15-2013 at 02:59 AM..

Old 10-15-2013, 02:44 AM

9,086 posts, read 1,466,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post

Today’s Question:

Kindergarden I walked; grade 1 and 2 rode the yellow school bus (the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round the wheels on the bus go round and round on our way to school...) and the rest I either walked or caught a ride from mom or dad on their way to work. And there really was nothing exciting that happened that I can think of

Extra Credit Question:

A couple of days ago I went for a walk

Bonus Question:

I have been told I look like Madeline Stow and Andy McDowell

Just for fun:

Not getting sleep and having a busy day, which sums up my day today.

Thought for the Day:

Today Is:

National Grouch Day
National Mushroom Day
Thanx Kobber...

May you all have a wonderful day of grouchiness smothered in mushrooms! (Unless you don't like mushroooms)

Last edited by Draconess; 10-15-2013 at 02:53 AM..

Old 10-15-2013, 03:25 AM

21,730 posts, read 8,867,054 times
Today’s Question:

Various ways since we moved a lot and I went to seven different elementary schools in six years. Mostly I walked, but at one school I took the city bus and my first school was too far to walk, so my mother, father or a neighbor drove me.

Extra Credit Question:

Does the elliptical at the gym count? That's what I do four times a week. For pleasure, the last time was earlier this year in a city park.

Bonus Question:

When I was about 13, my parents' friend told me she thought I looked like Ingrid Bergman.

Just for fun:

If Bryn Terfel doesn't sing tonight. I have tickets to see him in Falstaff.

Thanks, Kobber. Glad you enjoyed the family visit!

Old 10-15-2013, 03:30 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,581,263 times
Today’s Question:

How did you travel to and from elementary school? Was there ever a memorable event that happened on those journeys that you can share with us? I went to about 3 or 4 elementary schools as a child and I walked to each. The only thing I can think of as far as something memorable was when I literally lived on the ocean. My yard was sand. Before school started we would sometimes walk down the beach to see what we could find. Usually what we would find were dead animals, like seagulls or a seal etc.

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you went for a walk or hike for pleasure or exercise? It has been awhile.

Bonus Question:

Have you ever been told you look like someone famous, or been mistaken for someone famous? If yes, who did they think you look like? No, I haven't.

Just for fun:

Today is National Grouch Day. What might make you grouchy today? If I get woken up too early.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:46 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,110,542 times
Today’s Question:

How did you travel to and from elementary school? Was there ever a memorable event that happened on those journeys that you can share with us? I lived across the street from the elementary school.

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you went for a walk or hike for pleasure or exercise? I now walk every day down the rural road. At this time it's so nice to see the farmers in the fields, harvesting the grains.

Bonus Question:

Have you ever been told you look like someone famous, or been mistaken for someone famous? If yes, who did they think you look like? Grammie used to tell me that I looked like the youngest Lennon sister when they were on Lawrence Welk show years back.

Just for fun:

Today is National Grouch Day. What might make you grouchy today? Gas price increase!

Thought for the Day:

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. (T.S. Eliot) clap clap

Today Is:

National Grouch Day
National Mushroom Day I love mushrooms!
National White Cane Safety Day clap clap

Thanks Kobber....and to all have a good day.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:02 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,042,462 times
Today’s Question:

How I traveled depended on where I was at the the time. First grade I walked about 8 blocks. Had to cross a very busy highway during the morning rush hour. It was just a two lane highway. Standing on the centerline with cars whizzing by both directions was an adventure. Most of second grade was during my sick year. Most of the time I had to be carried from my bedroom to the living room where I had a teacher 3 days a week. Third grade was the fun year. It was only 3 miles from the housing to town. Sometimes we made it and other times we ended up in the ditch and had to wait till a bunch of taxies showed up to take us the rest of the way. The bus would also break down at least once a week. Sixth grade took me a whopping 1 minute to walk to school. Where our back yard ended the school grounds started.

Extra Credit Question:

Has been a while. Most of my walking is work related

Bonus Question:

I have been told by several people I look like Hoss Cartwright on Bonanza.

Just for fun:

I have been far to grouchy as of late. I need to make an attempt to be less grouchy. Hopefully I can avoid anything that will make me grouchy today

Thought for the Day:

Today Is:

National Grouch Day
National Mushroom Day

Old 10-15-2013, 04:29 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,254,719 times
travel to and from elementary school - bus, sometimes walk, like when the bus drivers went on strike

walk for exercise - couple days ago

look like someone famous? nope

make me grouchy - if someone urinated in my wheaties.

National Mushroom Day

i love mushrooms. and they're good for you - google GOMBS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics