Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 10:23 PM

149 posts, read 348,298 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure where to post this but I'm in need of some advice...for my partner.

He enrolled in a class at one of those online universities. The class they put him in was not the correct class and when he contacted them about it they told him had 39 days to drop the class or get into another one or else he would be responsible for paying for the class.

He waited a couple of weeks before deciding what he wanted to do and when he contacted the university to enroll him in a different class, they had already sent his account to collections. Mind you, this was even before the 39 days was up. He spoke to several people at the "university" and explained in detail the situation and no one was able to help him. They said once it goes to collections there's nothing they can do. They were of no help and weren't going to do anything to make it right.

This "university" obviously scammed him and we are wondering if there is anything we can do/anyone we can contact to get this fixed?? We don't know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 10:52 PM

21,572 posts, read 8,747,707 times
This should probably go in either the Economics/Personal Finance or Education forums.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:00 PM

176 posts, read 521,537 times
Hi, get back to us with the exact dates. It is hard to give firm advice without firm details.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:13 PM

44,378 posts, read 20,097,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraychick01 View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this but I'm in need of some advice...for my partner.

He enrolled in a class at one of those online universities. The class they put him in was not the correct class and when he contacted them about it they told him had 39 days to drop the class or get into another one or else he would be responsible for paying for the class.

He waited a couple of weeks before deciding what he wanted to do and when he contacted the university to enroll him in a different class, they had already sent his account to collections. Mind you, this was even before the 39 days was up. He spoke to several people at the "university" and explained in detail the situation and no one was able to help him. They said once it goes to collections there's nothing they can do. They were of no help and weren't going to do anything to make it right.

This "university" obviously scammed him and we are wondering if there is anything we can do/anyone we can contact to get this fixed?? We don't know what to do.
I'm sorry this has happened to your friend. It stinks! I'm not sure what recourse he has. Did he save his enrollment e-documents? He should first read the fine print of all documents and rules he agreed to when he registered.

I can't imagine any business sending an account to a collection agency before payment is even 30 days past due. I'm wracking my brain for something helpful to tell you, but I'm coming up blank so far. I don't know enough specifics.

When you say "they told him" about the 39-day window to make his decision about changing classes, was this via telephone or email? Is there any record of it? That would be a tremendous help; having a record with the date they informed him about the 39 days. With that ammo, he could snail-mail a certified letter to the university to show them the proof and he could also state that if they do not resolve the matter soon and clear his account they will next hear from his attorney.

You might want to contact the Better Business Bureau and see if they have any info about the university. Do some Internet searches for similar complaints about it and see whether those complaints were resolved.

Sorry I don't have any better advice. Your friend should keep at them (the university people), calling more than once a day in hopes of talking with someone who can help. He should keep a log of all conversations and attempts to resolve the matter.

Are you certain it was the university's error when your friend was registered for the wrong class? Do you have any proof that your friend originally requested a different class than the one the university actually registered him for?

There are a lot of variables here. I sure wish I could help more; sorry for the rambling. I know how frustrating this must be for your friend - and for you as well.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:48 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,094,835 times
Turn the university into your State's Attorney General Comsumer Fraud unit. They will most likely investigate and help you out. Also the better business bureau. I want to know the university's name so I can warn friends who use these type of online classes.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:02 AM

Let me get some more specifics from him and I will post later.

For the one who was asking, it is University of Phoenix.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
Turn the university into your State's Attorney General Comsumer Fraud unit. They will most likely investigate and help you out. Also the better business bureau. I want to know the university's name so I can warn friends who use these type of online classes.
The university isn't here in my state. Do you think we can still turn it in to the AG here?

Old 08-17-2013, 09:46 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,911,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
I agree with rural chick! Contact the AG in both states, yours and the state of the university's corporate office.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:00 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,581,039 times
Quote:

Quote:
Let me get some more specifics from him and I will post later.

For the one who was asking, it is University of Phoenix.
This is a for profit university who pioneered online learning, I can be reasonably certain they didn't get to where they are by scamming people. At this point I am skeptical about the time frame in which your partner acted to change or drop the course.
Quote:
The university isn't here in my state. Do you think we can still turn it in to the AG here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I agree with rural chick! Contact the AG in both states, yours and the state of the university's corporate office.
Contacting the AG is a good bet however, depending on state laws and resources, unless there are many complaints don't be surprised if the AG's office doesn't pursue the matter over a few hundred dollars.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:06 PM
bjh

60,147 posts, read 30,443,436 times
Maybe peeps in the education forum might have already discussed this and could better help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics