Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 04:54 AM

36,444 posts, read 16,047,179 times

Advertisements

Wow things have sure changed in just an hour, so many flights leave at 6am on the east coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 06:45 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,905,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Great map, I enjoy to track the flights sometimes. It was interesting to watch European area after the eruption of the Icelandic volcano in 2010...

BTW: do you know you can also track vessels?
Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic System with pix and vessel description, quite beautiful and informative map.
or
Ship Finder - The Live Marine Traffic Tracking App ships tracking map
I didn't know that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ships too! Interesting stuff going on while I sit and drink my coffee this morning. Now if I can only track the morning newspaper guy who delivers to our neighborhood? LOL

Old 07-29-2013, 07:12 AM

44,647 posts, read 61,684,084 times
So you think traffic down here is bad, huh...well just try driving up there...

Old 07-29-2013, 07:23 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,440,381 times
The most dangerous thing about flying is driving to the airport.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:27 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,882,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
My first thought was that Mike who loves planes would enjoy this website, however after I watched it for a while I thought it might be interesting for others to see how busy the sky overhead can get at times. You can view aircraft flying over your neighborhood while sitting at your pc. Interesting website to say the least. But don't worry, if you click on a plane you can't make it fall out of the sky. I'll worry about just who is our air traffic controller that's working with my pilot next time I'm traveling by plane.

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

When the site opens up it will show all the aircraft that are airborne or flying around right now. You'll have to adjust the map for your own area of the country, and if you enlarge the map you'll get more detail of your town or neighborhood.

In the left hand column, there's a box called "PLANES"

The number shown in the box is the number of aircraft airborne at that time.

This particular view is what the traffic controllers and other management people see for planning purposes at the various airports.

Every day you see planes in the sky, sometimes they are up very, very high..flying along with or without those long con-trails.

You might ask yourself :

I wonder what type of plane that is ?? Is it an Airbus A320, 330, 350...Maybe it's a Boeing..or could it be an MD-80.....or some other commercial type ??

Where is it coming from, where is it going, what altitude is it flying, what is the airspeed, what company does it represent etc....???

You can see all the information instantly on your computer screen....... but before clicking on the link:

Flightradar24.com - Live flight tracker!

Here are some neat tricks;

On the map you will see all the planes in the air.

* To view your region or town, you can zoom in by tapping with your mouse.

* Click on an airplane, and on the left side of the screen you will get all the info.....airline, type, speed, altitude....all in real time, it is re-calculated every 10 seconds.

Here's what is really cool.....

On some you can click on ‘View from the cockpit’.

Thanks Aksarben, I've seen this website before but I haven't been on it too much because it can get addictive for people like me..

I do like the website though and the information you can get about any particular flight. You also won't see too many contrails of commercial aircraft at cruise altitudes below 35,000 feet this time of the year as they fly above the Phoenix area because of the warmer temperatures at those altitudes, but you definitely will during the cooler months.

Don't worry about the ATC (Air Traffic Controllers) or pilots in charge of the flights at either Local control towers, or the Regional Control Centers, which handle all flights that are at altitudes above 10,000 feet in their designated region.

There is also a lot of automation in the avionics systems of most commercial airliners, which reduces the changes of pilot errors, and a lot of them have redundant systems in case one of them fails. I know that because I worked at Honeywell's Commercial and General Avionics divisions in the early 1990s when they were developing the systems for the Boeing 777, which made its first flight in 1995. You have a better chance of winning the Powerball lottery than being on a modern commercial airliner, Boeing, Airbus, or any others, that experiences multiple redundant system failures.

And finally ladies and gentlemen, we're descending into the Phoenix area and we'll be on the ground in about 30 minutes and thank you for flying Dog House Airlines...

Old 07-30-2013, 01:11 AM

61,857 posts, read 87,314,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I didn't know that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ships too! Interesting stuff going on while I sit and drink my coffee this morning. Now if I can only track the morning newspaper guy who delivers to our neighborhood? LOL
No need to fetch your newspaper. Here you can read every paper edition you heart desire:
Newseum | Today's Front Pages | Map View
If you like any of the news from the front page, just click on "Web site" on the top right.
Enjoy!!

Old 07-30-2013, 03:17 AM

774 posts, read 1,695,025 times
Honestly, this is about the coolest thing I've ever seen. Thanks to the OP.
Can't believe I never saw it mentioned on FlyerTalk!

For 5am, I'd actually say there are enough flights in the air over the USA:

Actually, the number of flights in the air at any given time (which I already knew was a tremendous number) is one reason I give to those who are afraid of flying: Thousands of planes in the air at every moment of the day and you think something's going to happen to yours? Not likely. You're not that special

PS: Look at all the FedEx planes leaving Memphis (where it's 4am). Got to get your stuff to you by 10am!

Old 07-30-2013, 08:12 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,882,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
Honestly, this is about the coolest thing I've ever seen. Thanks to the OP.
Can't believe I never saw it mentioned on FlyerTalk!

For 5am, I'd actually say there are enough flights in the air over the USA:

Actually, the number of flights in the air at any given time (which I already knew was a tremendous number) is one reason I give to those who are afraid of flying: Thousands of planes in the air at every moment of the day and you think something's going to happen to yours? Not likely. You're not that special

PS: Look at all the FedEx planes leaving Memphis (where it's 4am). Got to get your stuff to you by 10am!
The number of flights shown (with the zoom level in the screen shot) over many cities is enough to make someone think about the chances of mid-air collisions. Use the zoom option on the map and you'll see the airplanes are further apart. There is a requirement for all aircraft that are at cruise altitudes or in the climb-out phase (after taking off) to keep a 5-mile radius of free space around the aircraft to prevent mid-air collisions, and all modern commercial airliners and many general aviation aircraft have what's called TCAS (Traffic Collision Avoidance System) plus all the redundant systems that are available on the aircraft, and air traffic control (local and regional) to prevent mid-air collisions.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:43 PM

20,417 posts, read 14,701,959 times
The only thing I worry about when flying is the pain I can (rarely) get upon takeoff or landing due to the pressure. I have a history of sinus troubles, and once I was on a flight landing in Omaha and I experienced such intense pain in my eyes AND ears it felt like someone was stabbing me in both with hot pokers. I was paralyzed by the pain and had tears tracking down my face and could not speak or even focus my eyes. The pain lasted a few hours (to a lesser degree) even after we landed and I got off the plane.

But I've flown lots of times since then and it's never happened like that again... Weird, huh?

I know flying is so much statistically safer than other modes of travel, I don't worry about any other element of my safety. I breeze through security with a friendly attitude, slip off shoes, and no complaints, and my flights have all been smooth in recent years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics