Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 09:05 AM

54,516 posts, read 34,005,319 times

Advertisements

Howdy y’all well I just had a cosmic moment lol
My internet went down about 4:15 as a storm moved through & was a nationwide
outage (at least my carrier) - anyhoo thought I’d get QOTD ready to post in the AM
so I wrote a little explanation as to ‘why’ I hadn’t posted tonight. Well, I had no
sooner finished it (& I mean adding the last period) when lo and behold

Ouch.. Joy, the next time you have an outage with your internet connection.. just send me an email or a Direct Message and I'll take care of things on the QOTD...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 09:05 AM

9,833 posts, read 14,424,308 times
Today's Questions:
Let’s find out what’s going on in everyone’s little corner of the world . . .

When you open your local newspaper (or the online version), what’s the major headline/news story? I don't know. I skip to the obituaries, then to the comics.

Are there any special events being held in your neighborhood or town this weekend?
Yes! All the time here!
Today:
We have a Town Day with historic home tours, artisans along the sidewalks, activities for children, an open house at the antique store, and of course, sidewalk sales. Keep in mind ours and the neighboring town are very, very tiny. 1,334 people in our town, and the adjoining town has a population of 3,519. Love it!
This Evening:
Cocktail party down the street at a neighbor's house...maybe about 25 of us living in our little town, then another social a block away.
Tomorrow:
June Jam all day long a couple of miles from us. All live music in the woods, a Pink Floyd Tribute band, many local bands, food, and lots of camaraderie.
Today’s Bonus Questions
Let's talk about magazines - Do you still read them? No, Never Did
If so, feel free to mention which ones. N/A
Do you subscribe to them or get them from a store? No
When walking by a magazine section, what kind of magazine will most likely grab your attention? N/A
(e.g. magazines about cars, houses, finances, pets, etc.)
What is it about any particular magazine on a rack that grabs your attention?
- The title of an article on the cover?- A picture? - Other? Okay, be honest, have you ever spent a lot of time at a magazine rack reading magazines? Do you or did you ever look at the magazines with the crazy and strange headlines at the check-out counter?
Not Applicable to all of the above. Too busy here.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:27 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,931,547 times
Sunny and 100 in the NV desert today.

Today's Questions:

When you open your local newspaper (or the online version), what’s the major headline/news story? "As Congress Debates Student Loan Rates, NV Students Face Mounting Debt".

Are there any special events being held in your neighborhood or town this weekend? Las Vegas is one big special event 24/7/365.

Let's talk about magazines - Do you still read them? Not any more.

When walking by a magazine section, what kind of magazine will most likely grab your attention? Probably the cover of "People".

A picture

Okay, be honest, have you ever spent a lot of time at a magazine rack reading magazines? Once, many years ago, I remember browsing the magazines at Barnes & Noble for an hour or so. I think I was checking out the ones that had floor plans of homes.

Do you or did you ever look at the magazines with the crazy and strange headlines at the check-out counter? I look at them and wonder why anyone would buy them!

Thanks JJ and happy Saturday everyone!

Old 06-15-2013, 09:59 AM

24,696 posts, read 26,288,564 times
Today's Questions:

When you open your local newspaper (or the online version), what’s the major headline/news story?
Proposal to keep hens on smaller properties tabled.

Are there any special events being held in your neighborhood or town this weekend?
Several car shows and a Mud run race.

Today’s Bonus Questions
Today’s Bonus Question comes to us directly from our correspondent in the land of the Dry Heat, where
in the summer it can be over 100 degrees outside and a cozy 75 degrees inside
[buddy that’s way too hot]

Let's talk about magazines - Do you still read them?
Yep.

If so, feel free to mention which ones.
National Geographic
Arizona Highways
Design News
Manufacturing Engineering

Do you subscribe to them or get them from a store?
Subscribe

When walking by a magazine section, what kind of magazine will most likely grab your attention?
Probably cars.

- The title of an article on the cover?
- A picture?
A scantily clad girl posing with a hot car.
- Other?

Okay, be honest, have you ever spent a lot of time at a magazine rack reading magazines?
Yes, when I was younger I would go to the local market for my daily fix of Twinkies and a Pepsi while I read some magazines.

Do you or did you ever look at the magazines with the crazy and strange headlines at the check-out counter?
Just the headlines.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:13 AM

54,516 posts, read 34,005,319 times
Today's Questions:

When you open your local newspaper (or the online version), what’s the major headline/news story? - Hmm... nothing.. Hot.. or newsworthy... (pun intended)

Are there any special events being held in your neighborhood or town this weekend? - Nah..

Today’s Bonus Questions
Today’s Bonus Question comes to us directly from our correspondent in the land of the Dry Heat, where in the summer it can be over 100 degrees outside and a cozy 75 degrees inside [buddy that’s way too hot] - LOL.. but it's a dry heat! Didja Know... Oh wait, wrong thread.. 105 degrees outside with less than 10% humidity actually feels more comfortable than 90 degrees and 80% humidity? Besides, the A/C keeps things very comfortable inside the house..

Let's talk about magazines - Do you still read them? - I do... whenever I have time.
If so, feel free to mention which ones. - The American Rifleman, which I get online, and Plane & Pilot.

Do you subscribe to them or get them from a store? - I subscribe to Plane & Pilot. Back in the day, I used to subscribe to Popular Mechanics, Hot Rod, Guitar Player.

When walking by a magazine section, what kind of magazine will most likely grab your attention?
(e.g. magazines about cars, houses, finances, pets, etc.) - Ones about aviation, guns, computers, and cars... and don't worry Nitram.. they don't have any Victoria's Secret catalogs in those magazine sections...

- The title of an article on the cover? - <--------<<
- A picture? - <--------<< No.. not those kind of pictures...
- Other? - A catchy name or a new magazine that pertains to either my profession or something I'm interested in.

Okay, be honest, have you ever spent a lot of time at a magazine rack reading magazines? - LOL.. Of course.. who hasn't? I've done that in my younger days, and if I'm at a store, you might catch me looking at a magazine that caught my attention.

Do you or did you ever look at the magazines with the crazy and strange headlines at the check-out counter? - LOL.. Okay, I won't name any particular magazines, but I briefly look at their headlines and laugh at them... Ones like "I had an affair with a visitor from outer space and I had his child"... and some other crazy headlines like that.. and I never cared for those so-called "Gossip" magazines.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:13 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,427,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoy View Post
Today's Questions:
When you open your local newspaper (or the online version), what’s the major headline/news story?
"Four candidates vie for [selectboard] seat":
a selectboard member who was re-elected got a better job offer elsewhere, so someone has to fill out that vacancy in the term.
If it were last weekend, I'd have said "the strolling of the heifers", which is a parade through town, incl. but not limited to, cows.
Don't know about this weekend, though-didn't see anything special listed.
Today’s Bonus Questions
Today’s Bonus Question comes to us directly from our correspondent in the land of the Dry Heat, where
in the summer it can be over 100 degrees outside and a cozy 75 degrees inside
[buddy that’s way too hot]
Vermont rarely does heat, though it often does humidity
(that's closest emoticon I can find to depict "wilted" feeling one gets when it's muggy out)
Let's talk about magazines - Do you still read them?
Barely, hardly.
If so, feel free to mention which ones.
I get The New Yorker from the library in town.
Had a subscription for many years before that, but the clutter was more than I could process in a timely manner.
Do you subscribe to them or get them from a store?
Library.
I look for a specific title, as noted above.
- The title of an article on the cover?
- A picture?
- Other?
See above-I check the table of contents inside for articles of interest.
Okay, be honest, have you ever spent a lot of time at a magazine rack reading magazines?
Yes, but only because I was waiting for my food order to be ready at place next door.
Do you or did you ever look at the magazines with the crazy and strange headlines at the check-out counter?

Have looked at the covers in the past, but I try not to get sucked into that less-than constructive (for my mind, I'm not dissing those who enjoy them) frippery.
Today in History:
1986 - Pravda announces high-level Chernobyl staff fired for stupidity
I would say something about that^, but it would be political, so I won't...
2010 - The inquiry into Bloody Sunday in Northern Ireland, 1972,
determined British paratroopers fired the first shot without warning,
and concocted lies to cover up their acts
I'm in favor of "whistleblowers" & exposing cover-ups.
Quote of the Day:
”If a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind, what is the significance of a
clean desk?”
~~Laurence J. Peter

My spaces vary from more to less cluttered, it's like that floating garbage island in the Pacific-the clutter gets rearranged, but actually shrinking it is the bigger challenge.
Hope everyone has a great weekend and of course . . .

Wishing you all a pleasant weekend, too

Old 06-15-2013, 04:03 PM

44,477 posts, read 20,273,814 times
Today's Questions:

When you open your local newspaper (or the online version), what’s the major headline/news story? The head story today is titled, "Obama authorizes sending weapons to Syrian rebels for first time."

Are there any special events being held in your neighborhood or town this weekend? There was some sort of special running event somewhere nearby today, because everywhere I tried to go I got detoured by a bunch of runners in the road. What a pain in the butt it was, getting around town!

Today’s Bonus Questions
Today’s Bonus Question comes to us directly from our correspondent in the land of the Dry Heat, where in the summer it can be over 100 degrees outside and a cozy 75 degrees inside [buddy that’s way too hot]

Let's talk about magazines - Do you still read them? I subscribe to National Wildlife and currently have a gift subscription to Midwest Living. I love National Wildlife because it has beautiful photos and great stories about nature (and there are no advertisements in or between the articles ). I also enjoy National Geographic, though I no longer subscribe to it. Oh, and I get Reader's Digest.
If so, feel free to mention which ones. I just did.

When walking by a magazine section, what kind of magazine will most likely grab your attention? (e.g. magazines about cars, houses, finances, pets, etc.) I ignore magazines in stores.

Okay, be honest, have you ever spent a lot of time at a magazine rack reading magazines? Nope.

Do you or did you ever look at the magazines with the crazy and strange headlines at the check-out counter? Yes, I do look at those goofy headlines in the celeb rags. Some really make me laugh!

Hope everyone has a great weekend and of course . . .

Happy weekend, everybody!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics