Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 11:38 PM

44,757 posts, read 62,163,916 times

Advertisements

Today's Questions:
Let’s find out what’s going on in everyone’s little corner of the world . . .

When you open your local newspaper (or the online version), what’s the major headline/news story? "Caesar caught in rendezvous with Cleopatra."

Are there any special events being held in your neighborhood or town this weekend? Toga party at the Colosseum Sat & Sun VIII pm..

Today’s Bonus Questions
Today’s Bonus Question comes to us directly from our correspondent in the land of the Dry Heat, where
in the summer it can be over 100 degrees outside and a cozy 75 degrees inside
[buddy that’s way too hot]

Let's talk about magazines - Do you still read them? Sometimes.
If so, feel free to mention which ones. Trains, planes, and automobiles.

Do you subscribe to them or get them from a store? Neither, I borrow them from the Dr's office.

When walking by a magazine section, what kind of magazine will most likely grab your attention?
(e.g. magazines about cars, houses, finances, pets, etc.) I don't pay attention to them.

What is it about any particular magazine on a rack that grabs your attention? I don't pay attention to them.
- The title of an article on the cover?
- A picture?
- Other?

Okay, be honest, have you ever spent a lot of time at a magazine rack reading magazines? For the 3rd time I don't pay attention to them.

Do you or did you ever look at the magazines with the crazy and strange headlines at the check-out counter? No, I don't pay attention to them.

Those questions must mean Mikes monthly Playboy has arrived.

Saturday, good day to hook up some more stereo speakers, enjoy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 12:54 AM

39,245 posts, read 23,242,510 times
Today's Questions:

When you open your local newspaper (or the online version), what’s the major headline/news story?
Driver blows through DUI checkpoint in Ontario, collides with vehicle.
Long Beach Unified wins judgment against accuser in false rape case against Brian Banks.
Long Beach Police Department gun buyback collects 168 firearms.

Are there any special events being held in your neighborhood or town this weekend?
I just checked the city's events calendar on their website and nothing is scheduled for this weekend.

Today’s Bonus Questions
Today’s Bonus Question comes to us directly from our correspondent in the land of the Dry Heat, where
I AGREE!

Let's talk about magazines - Do you still read them? Yes.
If so, feel free to mention which ones. Right now, just Consumer Reports and sometimes Reader's Digest.

Do you subscribe to them or get them from a store? Subscribe to Consumer Reports.

When walking by a magazine section, what kind of magazine will most likely grab your attention?
(e.g. magazines about cars, houses, finances, pets, etc.) News/current events.

What is it about any particular magazine on a rack that grabs your attention?
- A picture? <--Most of the time.
- Other?

Okay, be honest, have you ever spent a lot of time at a magazine rack reading magazines? I have a few times at Barnes and Noble, since they provide chairs.

Do you or did you ever look at the magazines with the crazy and strange headlines at the check-out counter? I give them a passing glance.

Have a great weekend!

Old 06-15-2013, 01:40 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,113,498 times
Today's Questions:

When you open your local newspaper (or the online version), what’s the major headline/news story?
Illinois is proposing a swap out....replacing the 19 cent per gallon fuel tax with a 9.5 cent wholesale tax and an increase in licensing and registration fees. Illinois has some of the highest fuel taxes, plus income tax, plus sales taxes, and they just raised the licensing and registration fees!!!!!!!!!! This swap would add another 14 cents to each gallon of fuel to bring it up to about 33 cents per gallon.

Are there any special events being held in your neighborhood or town this weekend? 100 mile garage sale in the upper northwest of the state - none in our area

Today’s Bonus Questions

Let's talk about magazines - Do you still read them?
Yes
If so, feel free to mention which ones. Mother Earth News, Reminisce Magazine, Woman's Day, Family Circle, Southern Life Magazine

Do you subscribe to them or get them from a store? Some I get some I buy

When walking by a magazine section, what kind of magazine will most likely grab your attention? gardening or cooking
(e.g. magazines about cars, houses, finances, pets, etc.)

xxx
- A picture?
- Other?

Okay, be honest, have you ever spent a lot of time at a magazine rack reading magazines?
yes

Do you or did you ever look at the magazines with the crazy and strange headlines at the check-out counter? yes

Hope everyone has a great weekend ...thanks JJ....to everyone, the weekend is upon us...take advantage of that and spend time with family and pets. Happy Father's Day weekend.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:40 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,117,244 times
Today's Questions:

Today’s Bonus Questions

Let's talk about magazines - Do you still read them? Not too many ... Do like Reader's Digest
If so, feel free to mention which ones.

Do you subscribe to them or get them from a store? Used to subscribe ... Too cheap to get them from the store.

(e.g. magazines about cars, houses, finances, pets, etc.) Recipes

Okay, be honest, have you ever spent a lot of time at a magazine rack reading magazines? No

Do you or did you ever look at the magazines with the crazy and strange headlines at the check-out counter?
Sometimes

Old 06-15-2013, 01:45 AM

62,622 posts, read 88,737,296 times
Well, I lost all my answers when I hit "post reply" at the same time when the C-D did their maintenance... , so I had to start again

Today's Questions:

Surely no serious news for a serious reader, but rather sensational stuff, gossip or sports. That's what sells. Newspapers no not seem necessary to deliver news of importance.
Well, that was yesterday, today's news are little more informative:
Here is a front page of the only newspaper in town:

http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpa...EN&ref_pge=lst

Are there any special events being held in your neighborhood or town this weekend?
Yeah... Spurs.

Today’s Bonus Questions
Are you talking about Texas?

Times, The Economist, The Barron's, The Harper's, FP - for politics/finance; architecture/interior designing/photography - for leisure, and medical journals for work.

Do you subscribe to them or get them from a store?
The medical stuff I get at work, and otherwise I don't subscribe anything. All is readily available on the Internet and I appreciate the vast selection to choose from.

Nothing really as explained above.

- A picture?
- Other?
The quality of well written articles and a reputation behind it. I don't care about pictures or headlines.

Okay, be honest, have you ever spent a lot of time at a magazine rack reading magazines?
Oh yes! Lots of time in reading rooms, but that was in the pre-Internet era.

Do you or did you ever look at the magazines with the crazy and strange headlines at the check-out counter?
You mean tabloids like National Enquirer, The Sun, OK!, US, Star and such? Nah. I don't care about crazy gossip or celebrities

Last edited by elnina; 06-15-2013 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: news changed at 6:30 AM :D

Old 06-15-2013, 01:55 AM

37,871 posts, read 41,298,274 times
Today's Questions:

The last online update was 5:30P Friday Night and it's a 3 way tie between the firefighters color coding fire hydrants, an announcement of a new night 5k race in September in the park where apparently people will color their faces and bodies in neon flourescent colors, and the high school graduating class having 10 National Merit Scholarship finalists.

Yep, big local news day here on Friday.

Yes, the 15th annual Lavender Festival is this weekend. Next weekend is our biggest town festival.

Today’s Bonus Questions

These answers are coming from the land of the sauna...

Bird Watchers Digest and Outdoor Photography

subscribe although my OP subscription is over.

I usually walk right by and don't stop to look but if I do it's either an outdoor magazine about my state or photography.

- A picture?
- Other?

The subject of the magazine

Nope, although when I was a kid, comic books were on the same racks as the magazines. I'd stop for those. I also used to like the mystery, suspense, horror and science fiction digest magazines when I was a kid but I did not read those at the magazine rack, I'd buy them.

I don't open them at the checkout counter but I look at the covers and I'm always amazed at how far I've dropped out of what's "with it" these days. Not only don't I know that X celebrity is cheating on Y celebrity with Z celebrity but I don't even know who X, Y and Z celebrities are to care about it. Even when they show images on the covers I don't recognize the celebrities anymore. And as far as those stories about people born with noses where their ears should be or cows with images on them that look like Elvis or aliens among us that look like us but always sing show tunes when they shower - I've never opened those. They are tabloids. The at-the-counter magazines are usually fashion or food related and I've never been interested enough to look at those.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:57 AM

16,913 posts, read 16,248,473 times
Today's Questions: Hello friends.

~ That depends on what date and time it is when you open it.

~ I wouldn't know. I only know what's cookin' in my own world.

Today’s Bonus Questions

~ I get Consumer Reports through a gift subscription from my dear dad.

~ Fell "free"? What is this "free" you speak of...and does it apply for Chickie, too?

~ Well I am a straight man so of course a pretty woman would have to be my obvious answer. After that, animal pictures or video game pictures.

~ Never once ever and never. That's horrible and so wrong!

~ Yep and I've even bought them...they're fun to look through.

*** Thank you Joy and Mike! Have a good weekend!

Old 06-15-2013, 05:15 AM
Status: "Civility needs to make a return." (set 10 days ago)

4,735 posts, read 3,309,394 times
Today's Questions:

When you open your local newspaper (or the online version), what’s the major headline/news story? That the fire department got a grant.

Are there any special events being held in your neighborhood or town this weekend? Not that I know of.

Today’s Bonus Questions

Let's talk about magazines - Do you still read them? Yes, Cosmo, Glamour, Redbook, Good Housekeeping, All You, Health, Women's World, and Elle.

Do you subscribe to them or get them from a store? I have subscriptions to them and some were a buy one get the other free. Elle is not one I enjoy reading but I was a freebie.

(e.g. magazines about cars, houses, finances, pets, etc.) I don't even look at magazines in the store unless I'm wanting a new hairstyle then I might pickup a hair magazine.

- The title of an article on the cover? Maybe
- A picture? Yes, if it's a hairstyle that I want.
- Other?

Okay, be honest, have you ever spent a lot of time at a magazine rack reading magazines? No

Do you or did you ever look at the magazines with the crazy and strange headlines at the check-out counter? Just the covers I don't take them out of the holders.

Today in History:

1752 - Ben Franklin's performs his kite-flying experiment
1836 - Arkansas becomes 25th state
1871 - Phoebe Couzins is 1st woman graduate of a U.S. collegiate law school
1877 - Henry O. Flipper becomes 1st black graduate at West Point
1887 - Carlisle D. Graham survives 2nd ride in Niagara waterfall in barrel
1898 - U.S. Marines attack Spanish off Guantanamo, Cuba
1916 - Boys Scouts of America receives congressional charter
1934 - Great Smokey Mountains National Park dedicated
1953 - New York City Transit Authority forms
1977 - Spain's 1st free elections since 1936 (41 years)
1986 - Pravda announces high-level Chernobyl staff fired for stupidity
2010 - The inquiry into Bloody Sunday in Northern Ireland, 1972, determined British paratroopers fired the
first shot without warning, and concocted lies to cover up their acts
2012 - In Bulgaria, remains believed to be John the Baptist, are scientifically dated to be from the first century AD

Quote of the Day:

”If a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind, what is the significance of a
clean desk?”

~~Laurence J. Peter

Hope everyone has a great weekend and of course . . .be safe and have fun!

Old 06-15-2013, 06:35 AM

36,580 posts, read 16,171,091 times
Today's Questions:

I don't, you usually hear about it from someone the same day it happens.

I have no idea..oh wait there is a concert at the Winery next door, Melva Houston is performing.

Today’s Bonus Questions
[buddy that’s way too hot] Ha ha, I agree!

Let's talk about magazines - Do you still read them? No

No
Do you or did you ever look at the magazines with the crazy and strange headlines at the check-out counter? Yes, didn't pick them up though, just look at the covers.

Quote of the Day:

”If a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind, what is the significance of a
clean desk?”

~~Laurence J. Peter

Hope everyone has a great weekend and of course . . .

Old 06-15-2013, 06:40 AM

10,250 posts, read 11,256,942 times
Today's Questions:

Haven't a clue - Local Newspaper Sucks..

Not that I know of.

Today’s Bonus Questions

Nope

Nope

Nope

- A picture?
- Other?
N/A

Rag Mags - Sometimes you see those pics of legs with cellulite and just wonder - who's legs they are, lmao.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics