Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 12:01 AM

16,725 posts, read 17,500,465 times

Advertisements

Good morning peevers.

The people on the TV giving out weather details are trying to tell us that today will be warm. I do not call a high of 63/64F, with a gusty wind, warm.

Today's very good peeve is courtesy of fellow peever cloven- thanks cloven.

This is a peeve that I'm sure many can relate to, especially as our bodies 'mature'.

Her peeve centres around having to do tasks where our bodies are not in a natural position to the point where it can be painful.

Good examples that came to cloven's mind were- well here is what she wrote- having to stoop to wash dishes in sink.
Another example might be working on some plumbing under sink, craning one's neck or straining one's back in the awkward endeavor.

I'm sure that there are many examples that you can think of, and we'd like to hear about them.

The POTD is, in cloven's words;

Tasks that require you to position your body uncomfortably/unnaturally
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 12:13 AM

16,725 posts, read 17,500,465 times
Piccies from around Salisbury Cathedral Close where I will be found later today;

Old 06-14-2013, 12:29 AM

44,698 posts, read 61,862,613 times
Well that peeve is timely and reminds me of the task at hand tomorrow. I have to try to position myself on my back in a small cabinet under the kitchen sink to replace a inline water filter. Oh the aches and pains I'll have afterwards.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:33 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,395,232 times
Thanks, Jezer, for using my submitted peeve.

Another example-albeit, brief in duration-is having to squash yourself reaching something that's fallen behind/underneath a piece of furniture
(esp. one that's too heavy/bulky to pull away from wall, or if one hasn't enough floorspace to do this).
One hopes to retrieve item successfully, without a scraped arm or twisted "something or other" to show for it.

Nice pictures-I'm watching the UK mystery series "Endeavor" (prequel to "Morse"), with lots of pretty scenery (the buildings at Oxford).

Old 06-14-2013, 03:19 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,164,945 times
Strangely I sometimes find my arm doesn't have all the required joints. Another two between the elbow and wrist would be very useful for those tricky corners in confined spaces.

I'm a bit big for small gaps and the cat is awkwardly uncooperative when it comes to DIY.

Whilst i'm thinking along the lines of cats doing DIY this came to mind.

Cravendale - Cats with Thumbs #CatsWithThumbs - YouTube

Old 06-14-2013, 04:39 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,100,956 times
Oh yes...I found that out when I tried to get my head under the bathroom sink to retrieve a pair of scissors which had fallen out of the container.....I couldn't get down on my knees due to the recent knee surgery so I had to bend down and then I was about standing on my head reaching and reaching. It was horrible.

Love those pictures! As usual Jezer.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:54 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,263,968 times
Beautiful cathedral! I like the way so many magnificent buildings have been preserved in the UK.

Any efforts in cabinets are a pain. So far I've left the plumbing to a plumber. I did install a new air flow vent under the kitchen sink but that was easy since it sits on top of a pipe and an easy reach. Putting down shelf paper is aggravating. I keep a 3 foot ruler on hand to reach for anything hiding under furniture that sits low to the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
Really cute commercial! I've already passed it on to Cat Lovers.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:02 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,694,460 times
Good morning.

And I can definately relate. sometimes I get this pain across my back and I have to sit. Happens when I clean. So I get up and do a bit then sit and repeat.

That cat looks just like my freddie. LOL.......that is a riot.

Love the picture of the cathedral.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:05 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,067,917 times
"Tasks that require you to position your body uncomfortably/unnaturally"

I'm finding that the older I get most positions are uncomfortable and unnatural

Old 06-14-2013, 08:09 AM

44,413 posts, read 20,158,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
The POTD is, in cloven's words;

Great peeve, cloven and Jezer!

A change I've made as I've aged is the way I do some of my yard work. When I was young, I would always stoop down to pick up things from the ground, but now I find it's too hard on my knees to get back up from that position. So, I usually end up bending over to pick stuff up. It's not great for my back, but that method is the lesser of two evils.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics