Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 01:33 AM

16,695 posts, read 17,466,448 times

Advertisements

Good morning peevers.

It's another beautiful morning here- we do get them from time to time!

Over the years there have been certain songs that leave me confuzzled over certain words that appear in the lyrics.

One example is from the song below and ever since it came out I was convinced that they said 'I'm not talking about the linen' heard at 38 seconds on the video clip.

I'd Really Love to See You Tonight - YouTube

In fairness it does sound clearer on that clip, especially as you can see him singing, but even Samuel L Jackson comments on that line in the movie 'The Long Kiss Goodnight'.

So my dear peevers, are there any lyrics that left you scratching your head?

Let us know because the POTD is;

What did they just sing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 01:34 AM

16,695 posts, read 17,466,448 times
Some shots showing how Spring is getting on;

One from yesterday morning;

Two from just now;

Old 05-07-2013, 03:28 AM

21,578 posts, read 8,753,580 times
Gorgeous photos!

Jezer, I think the line is "I'm not talkin' 'bout movin' in'."

One song that puzzled me for years was the Hollies' "Bus Stop." That line about "Nice to think of sweet romance/Beginnin' in a queue." Well, in the U.S.A. no one knows what a "queue" is. We call it a "line." So I didn't recognize the words. It sounded like the Hollies were singing something like, "Begin in any cue."

The Supremes' "Stop in the Name of Love" has a line that sounds like "She and you only breaks my heart again," which kind of makes sense except for the bad grammar. It's actually "Seein' you only breaks my heart again."

I always thought that song "Speedo" went: "Well they often call me Speedo/But my real name is Miss Earl." (It's actually "Mr. Earl") and I wondered why he had a girl's name.

There's a song called "Workin' in a Coal Mine" that has a line, "haulin' coal by the ton." To my ears, it sounds like "haulin' coal by the jug." That would be a very, very slow method of coal mining.

Some of the newer songs are so garbled that I can barely understand a word they're saying. Luckily there are websites now that post the lyrics to popular songs, so just about any song you've ever wondered about will be listed.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:53 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,926,920 times
I've always had trouble making out lyrics in some songs. But, then some even the singers/bands aren't sure what they're saying.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:39 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,257,436 times
Spring on your property is getting on beautifully!

What did they just sing?
That same line in the song has always sounded to me like, "I'm not talking 'bout millenium." That was even before tinnitus decided to live in my ears. Now I don't even try to pick up on lyrics. If I don't already know it, forget it!

Old 05-07-2013, 06:35 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,056,362 times
There are a lot of songs out there where the singer sounds like they're mumbling or have mush in their mouth - sometimes though that can be a blessing

Old 05-07-2013, 08:39 AM

24,522 posts, read 26,066,514 times
All I'm gonna say is that is one of my favorite songs by these guys and brings back fond memories.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:46 AM

44,383 posts, read 20,105,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
So my dear peevers, are there any lyrics that left you scratching your head?

Let us know because the POTD is;

What did they just sing?
Hey, that's a good peeve, Jezer! Sometimes it really bugs me when, for the life of me, I can't distinguish the lyrics in a song.

There's a website called kissthisguy.com which is a hilarious compilation of mis-heard song lyrics. The name of the website comes from the common error of many people who mis-heard Jimi Hendrix's words in Purple Haze, "Scuse me while I kiss the sky." Many people thought he was saying "Scuse me while I kiss this guy."

One song that for years I couldn't figure out what they were saying was, "Tenth Avenue Freeze Out." No matter how many times I listened closely when they got to that line in the song, I couldn't figure out what they were saying. It didn't sound like words at all. It would have helped a lot if I knew the title of the song to begin with, since that's the line I couldn't understand. Finally, one day I heard a DJ say the title of the song and then it all made sense.

Decades ago, my sister thought the song, Arizona, was actually "Hair is so long." That's what it sounded like to her! She also thought After Midnight was "Captain Midnight."

I'll fess up and say that I thought a line in Make It With You by Bread was, "A baby climbing on rainbows." It's actually "I may be climbing on rainbows."

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:54 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,333,143 times
There's a song by John Lennon that I love, entitled "just like starting over". For years I thought he sang "it's time to lay our weaving flat". He actually sang "it's time to spread our wings and fly" (for the record, I'm not a native speaker of English... and for some reason, this weird weaving metaphor made sense, lol)

Old 05-07-2013, 04:49 PM

21,578 posts, read 8,753,580 times
I love that site you mentioned, Pam. Whenever I need a good laugh, all I have to do is read some of those crazy misheard lyrics.

The song "Sweet Home Alabama" sounded to me like "Sweethearts By the Number."

Sweethearts by the number
Where skies are blue
Sweethearts by the number
But I'm coming home to you.

I thought the song was written by some guy who played around a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics