Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 02:46 AM

16,667 posts, read 17,430,851 times

Advertisements

Good morning peevers.

I'm finding it hard to come up with new peeves at the moment! Plenty of the ones I've used bug me though!

How about this one?

Since I got back home there are a couple of people that I have just not been able to get in touch with for whatever reason.

I know that as we get older one thing that comes to mind is- are they still with us?

However I really do not think that is the case here, so let's try this as the POTD;

Why don't you get in touch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 02:50 AM

Today's photos are all from the island of Dominica, not the Dominican Republic- that's another place.

I'll split them up into more than one post as I think it's safer that way.

Having breakfast soon after docking;

Wandering into town;

(No- that is not me!)

Last edited by Jezer; 03-20-2013 at 03:15 AM..

Old 03-20-2013, 03:09 AM

21,540 posts, read 8,722,464 times
Beautiful scenes! Thanks, Jezer. I've got a few leftover peeves I'd be glad to give you.

Not being able to get in touch with people is very frustrating. That is the main reason that, when I got married, I decided to keep my birth name. When women change their names, friends who knew them when they were single but have lost touch over the years have no way to know what their current last name is, and thus no way to contact them.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:17 AM

Up to the botanical gardens;

Old 03-20-2013, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Beautiful scenes! Thanks, Jezer. I've got a few leftover peeves I'd be glad to give you.

Not being able to get in touch with people is very frustrating. That is the main reason that, when I got married, I decided to keep my birth name. When women change their names, friends who knew them when they were single but have lost touch over the years have no way to know what their current last name is, and thus no way to contact them.
That is an excellent point!

Old 03-20-2013, 03:46 AM

301 posts, read 329,210 times
I can't see pics

With some people we don't get in touch anymore since they moved. When people change their location they get new lives, new friends, their interests change and they are bothered by different problems than you. With time you begin to have less and less in common, you only share your the most important life events and once you may stop sharing even them. It's like becoming unused to each other.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:44 AM

Thanks Thunderbird- I'll see what I can do about the pics a bit later.

This is becoming a regular PITA.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:04 AM

3,244 posts, read 1,309,387 times
I can't see the pics either!

This is a very good peeve Jezer. Losing touch with friends or even family members can hurt. But there are so many different reasons that folks drift apart. LIfe changes daily and drifting away happens. And I must confess, I have been the one who drifted away at times. When I was on the road, it was much harder to keep in touch with folks. I've also moved 9 times over the years to different states and then back here to Georgia. So this is where I drew the line and said, "No more". I'm done with the moving. LOL

Getting married 3 times also made many changes. I've lost contact with some family that I married into, as well as friends associated with those marriages. Bummer. But that's just life as I know it. It just happens.

On a happier note, a young friend whom I took under my wing when his home life went to pieces came to visit me with his new wife. So young!!! But they are well matched from what I can tell. I hadn't seen him in nearly 2 years, then he showed up at my door yesterday afternoon. Awesome! I now have his new cell number and address and hopefully we will stay in touch!

Old 03-20-2013, 06:03 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,045,353 times
Well and especially in the internet age can be challenging keeping in touch when the old super highway goes down for an extended period. I use Skype to call everyone/keep in touch but with no consistent connection, well . . . at least with Skype I could type an IM and when there was a tad bit of juice it would send it.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:12 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,319,638 times
Big peeve of mine. People just don't call or send emails or whatever. After a while I stop trying to reach them too, to be honest... . So we never get to hear about each other.
My biggest peeve would actually be "disappearing during someone's time of need". . I really could have used support at one point, and people I thought would help just vanished into thin air...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics