Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:02 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,624,828 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

Today's Question:
Today we have been transported through time to 1850. We are in Grizzled Gulch, a busy little town in the Old West.
Naturally, a town is nothing without its people. (Or it would be a ghost town anyway. )
So what role(s) will you play among the townspeople? --We'll have repeats and that's okay!--
Barber/hairdresser?
Bartender/barmaid?
Blacksmith?
Doctor/nurse?
Farmer/rancher?
General store owner/worker?
Horse stable owner/worker?
Librarian?
Miner/prospector?
Saloon gal
School teacher?
Sheriff/deputy?
Other?
(Btw any gender restrictions are your own. There's no reason there can't be a lady sheriff,etc. Hopefully, there will be no dudes as saloon gals tho. )

Bonus Question:
Please describe for us the clothes, accessories and extra gadgets you'll wear or have with you in the role(s) you choose.
A nice cinch-up dress, some lace-up boots, a garter for my fishnet stockings, a hand fan, and a feather for my hair ought to do me quite nicely!

Foodie Question:
Sitch yerself right down at a table in the Grizzled Gulch diner and make yourself at home. Not only are elbows allowed on the table - boots are too!
Here's a menu. Yes, it's limited. This is the 1800s after all. If it's not on the menu, you have to raise or shoot it yerself!
Let's say you're hungry and need something to eat. Which of today's foods will you be dining on:

Apps:
-stuffed jalapenos
-bbq rattle snake bites I've always wanted to try rattlesnake!
-fried mountain oysters

Entrees:
-skillet eggs, bacon and hashbrowns This'll be mighty fine!
-chili with beans, pick 'em out if you don't want 'em
-chicken that crossed the road this morning to the wrong side

Sides:
-beans This
-cornbread and this
-taters

Drinks:
-keg beer This
-water straight from the well
-sarsaparilla (Yes, it's spelt correctly. I checked it in the dicshunary.)

Just for fun:
Ya prolly don't wanna spend all day watching flies hover over the pig sty.
So tell us some of the things you'll be doing or seeing since for a day in an Old West town.
The locals, and the room above the saloon!

Today in History:
1842 US President John Tyler's daughter Elizabeth married William Waller at the White House
1849 Corn Laws protecting British farmers from low imported grain prices abolished in Britain
1872 American author Zane Grey, best known for western novels, born in Ohio
1928 Scotch tape 1st marketed by 3-M Company
1948 Magnetic tape recorder developed by Wireway
1955 RCA demonstrated 1st music synthesizer
1958 James van Allen discovered radiation belt
1964 U.S. report "Smoking and Health" published connecting smoking to lung cancer
1969 Beatles performed last live gig, a 42-minute concert on the rooftop of Apple records in London
1990 1st McDonalds in Russia opened in Moscow

Today’s Word:
Ya don't want to look or act like one of these in Grizzled Gulch.
ten·der·foot [ten-der-foot] noun, plural ten·der·foots, ten·der·feet
1. a raw, inexperienced person; novice.
2. a newcomer to the ranching and mining regions of the western U.S., unused to hardships

Today Is:
Brandy Alexander Day
Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day
Inspire Your Heart with Art Day

Today's Picture:
Deputy Dawg is special. He doesn't have to pick out any beans. You jealous?
What a sweet face!

See you at the barn dance tonight. Meanwhile have a good day, ya hear?

Thanx for the photo and the fun Qs bjh.
Have a good day everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 07:12 AM
Status: "Civility needs to make a return." (set 10 days ago)

4,735 posts, read 3,309,394 times
Today's Question:
Today we have been transported through time to 1850. We are in Grizzled Gulch, a busy little town in the Old West.
Naturally, a town is nothing without its people. (Or it would be a ghost town anyway. )
So what role(s) will you play among the townspeople? --We'll have repeats and that's okay!--
Barber/hairdresser?
Bartender/barmaid?
Blacksmith?
Doctor/nurse?
Farmer/rancher? Nope, I've had enough of cows in this time line.
Librarian?
Miner/prospector?
Saloon gal?
School teacher?
Sheriff/deputy?
Other?
(Btw any gender restrictions are your own. There's no reason there can't be a lady sheriff,etc. Hopefully, there will be no dudes as saloon gals tho. )

Bonus Question:
Please describe for us the clothes, accessories and extra gadgets you'll wear or have with you in the role(s) you choose. I don't think I'm gonna like all the layers of clothing that I will have to wear to be a proper lady.

Foodie Question:
Sitch yerself right down at a table in the Grizzled Gulch diner and make yourself at home. Not only are elbows allowed on the table - boots are too!
Here's a menu. Yes, it's limited. This is the 1800s after all. If it's not on the menu, you have to raise or shoot it yerself!
Let's say you're hungry and need something to eat. Which of today's foods will you be dining on:

Apps:
-stuffed jalapenos
-bbq rattle snake bites
-fried mountain oysters

Entrees:
-skillet eggs, bacon and hashbrowns

Sides:
-beans
-cornbread
-taters

Drinks:
-keg beer

Just for fun:
So tell us some of the things you'll be doing or seeing since for a day in an Old West town. I want to see them churn butter and make bread.....hopefully I get a taste too.

Today in History:
1842 US President John Tyler's daughter Elizabeth married William Waller at the White House
1849 Corn Laws protecting British farmers from low imported grain prices abolished in Britain
1964 U.S. report "Smoking and Health" published connecting smoking to lung cancer
1969 Beatles performed last live gig, a 42-minute concert on the rooftop of Apple records in London

Today’s Word:
2. a newcomer to the ranching and mining regions of the western U.S., unused to hardships

Today Is:
Brandy Alexander Day

Today's Picture:

Old 01-31-2013, 07:14 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,113,498 times

Barber/hairdresser?
Bartender/barmaid?
Blacksmith?
Doctor/nurse?
Farmer/rancher?
Librarian?
Miner/prospector?
Saloon gal? I'm Miss Kitty reborn. With good figure, unwrinkled face, etc!
School teacher?
Sheriff/deputy?
Other?

Bonus Question:
Please describe for us the clothes, accessories and extra gadgets you'll wear or have with you in the role(s) you choose.

Slinky dress, lowcut and split up the side a bit, feathers in my hair, jewelry and bling, and satin slipppers so my feet don't hurt. And a silk sow's purse for the money I'm going to get.

Foodie Question:

Apps:
-stuffed jalapenos
-bbq rattle snake bites
-fried mountain oysters XXXX grew up on these....a farmer's daughter doncha know.

Entrees:
-chicken that crossed the road this morning to the wrong side xxxx

Sides:
-beans xxx
-cornbread xxx
-taters xxx

Drinks:
-keg beer
-sarsaparilla (Yes, it's spelt correctly. I checked it in the dicshunary.) xxx

Just for fun:
So tell us some of the things you'll be doing or seeing since for a day in an Old West town.

Sleeping....I'm a saloon girl who had to work late hours.

Today in History:
1928 Scotch tape 1st marketed by 3-M Company can't do with this
1964 U.S. report "Smoking and Health" published connecting smoking to lung cancer xxx
1969 Beatles performed last live gig, a 42-minute concert on the rooftop of Apple records in London xxx
1990 1st McDonalds in Russia opened in Moscow Might as well spread grease and plugged arteries all over the world!

Today Is:
Brandy Alexander Day Two please....love these
Inspire Your Heart with Art Day clap clap

Thanks bjh.....to everyone, have a great day...it's already Thursday!

Old 01-31-2013, 07:19 AM

37,871 posts, read 41,298,274 times
Today's Question:
Barber/hairdresser?
Bartender/barmaid?
Blacksmith?
Doctor/nurse?
Farmer/rancher?
Librarian?
Miner/prospector?
Saloon gal?
School teacher?
Sheriff/deputy?
Other?
(Btw any gender restrictions are your own. There's no reason there can't be a lady sheriff,etc. Hopefully, there will be no dudes as saloon gals tho.)

The post office lady who gives people their mail when they come to fetch it. I'd be the widow, LauraC, who would discourage all wooers because you are crazy if you think I'd want to be anyone's wife or mother in those 1850 days and do THAT hard work.
Bonus Question:

That's the joy of it. I just have to get dressed and make sure I'm wearing my glasses and if I get no real gossip to trade, have a good enough imagination to make stuff up.

Foodie Question:
Sitch yerself right down at a table in the Grizzled Gulch diner and make yourself at home. Not only are elbows allowed on the table - boots are too! Here's a menu. Yes, it's limited. This is the 1800s after all. If it's not on the menu, you have to raise or shoot it yerself! Let's say you're hungry and need something to eat. Which of today's foods will you be dining on:

Apps:
-stuffed jalapenos
-bbq rattle snake bites
-fried mountain oysters

Pass on the appetizers.

Entrees:

eggs.bacon, hash browns

Sides:
-beans
-cornbread
-taters

Hash browns are taters.

Drinks:
-keg beer

If I'm having breakfast, none of the above.

Just for fun:

After the "hard" job of sorting the mail and trading gossip (when the folks come to pick up their letters/packages), about somebody's new cow, the school marm who is spending a lot of time with the town doctor or speculate about Mr Hatterly getting a lot of mail from the big city bank a few miles down yonder, I'll read...and then I'll go fishin' with my dawg.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 AM

44,477 posts, read 20,283,433 times
Hold on to your hats! Run tell your friends! Today's Question is the rootin' tootin-est cowboy either side of the Mississippi River! Hahaha. I will!

Today's Question:
Barber/hairdresser?
Bartender/barmaid?
Blacksmith?
Doctor/nurse?
Farmer/rancher?
General store owner/worker? I think I'd most like to do this one.
Librarian?
Miner/prospector?
Saloon gal?
School teacher?
Sheriff/deputy?
Other?

Bonus Question:
Please describe for us the clothes, accessories and extra gadgets you'll wear or have with you in the role(s) you choose. Not much to tell for the role I chose. When I'm in my generl store, I'll wear the usual long dress, but nothing frilly. No special tools or gadgets needed.

Foodie Question:

Apps:
-stuffed jalapenos
-bbq rattle snake bites This sounds delish, actually.
-fried mountain oysters

Entrees:
-skillet eggs, bacon and hashbrowns This would be great, any time of day or night.
-chili with beans, pick 'em out if you don't want 'em "More beans, Mr. Taggart?"

Sides:
-beans
-cornbread Ah loves me some cornbread.
-taters

Drinks:
-keg beer Not this, as it would probably be warm. I hate warm beer.
-water straight from the well I don't mind well water, so I'm fine with this one.

Just for fun:
So tell us some of the things you'll be doing or seeing since for a day in an Old West town. When I take a break from my general store, I'll sit on a rocker on the boardwalk and watch the people and traffic go by. If a horse drops a load right in front of my store, though, I'll clean it up. Don't want the stench coming inside. Maybe I'll saunter on down the walk to the saloon and raise some eyebrows as I enjoy a couple of belts at the bar. After I close the store in the evening, I'll ride my horse, Snickers, home to my little cabin on the prairie. I'll light a fire in the fireplace and will make a nice chicken stew and some biscuits for super. Then I'll sit out on my porch and watch the sun set on the horizon and will call it a night. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Brandy Alexander Day Yum! My favorite dessert drink.
Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day Pop! Pop! Pop!
Inspire Your Heart with Art Day I enjoy many types of art. Since I'm at work, today I'll just enjoy the artworks on my office walls, including a couple of my own photographs.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-31-2013 at 07:58 AM..

Old 01-31-2013, 08:01 AM

591 posts, read 667,258 times
I hope you all have a wonderful week and week-end. Thank u PJ for listing the
questions first.

Today's Question:
Barber/hairdresser?
Bartender/barmaid?
Blacksmith?
Doctor/nurse?
Farmer/rancher? That's me a rancher, the only gal in the West. I feel good wearing jeans, and shirt. Only for those barn yard dance's would I wear a cow girl shirt and skirt, and boots.

Librarian?
Miner/prospector?
Saloon gal?
School teacher?
Sheriff/deputy?
Other?

Old 01-31-2013, 08:07 AM

18,295 posts, read 26,092,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Hold on to your hats! Run tell your friends! Today's Question is the rootin' tootin-est cowboy either side of the Mississippi River! I'm loving me the ? of the day! YEEHAWWW!!!!

Today's Question:
Barber/hairdresser?
Bartender/barmaid?
Blacksmith?
Doctor/nurse?
Farmer/rancher?
General store owner/worker?But will have to settle for this one!
Librarian?
Miner/prospector?Would love to be this one!
Saloon gal?
School teacher?
Sheriff/deputy?
Other?

Bonus Question:
Please describe for us the clothes, accessories and extra gadgets you'll wear or have with you in the role(s) you choose. Nothing out of the ordinary, but an extra extra heavy set of suspenders to hold up my medicine ball size stomach!

Foodie Question:

Apps:
-stuffed jalapenos
-bbq rattle snake bites
-fried mountain oysters All three--yeehaww!!

Entrees:
-skillet eggs, bacon and hashbrownsI'm actually having these three in a little bit!

Sides:
-beans
-cornbread
-taters Yeppirs to all three!

Drinks:
-keg beer Beer plus Double H equals YESS!!!!

Just for fun:
So tell us some of the things you'll be doing or seeing since for a day in an Old West town.Heading for the biggest poker game in town in the busiest saloon in town!

Today in History:
1969 Beatles performed last live gig, a 42-minute concert on the rooftop of Apple records in London I have that dvd-called "Let It Be!"

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Brandy Alexander Day Yummo!

Today's Picture:
Deputy Dawg is special. He doesn't have to pick out any beans. You jealous? Watched many a Deputy Dawg cartoon when I was a young whippersnapper, by cracky! Same goes for Yosemite Sam and Quick Draw McGraw!

I'm heading down to my favorite restaurant in town, The Feedlot! Bacon, eggs, taters, toast, and 10W40 java! $5.49! A big HOWDY to all y'all out there!

Old 01-31-2013, 08:09 AM

591 posts, read 667,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum mike View Post
today's question:
today we have been transported through time to 1850. We are in grizzled gulch, a busy little town in the old west.
Naturally, a town is nothing without its people. (or it would be a ghost town anyway. )
so what role(s) will you play among the townspeople? --we'll have repeats and that's okay!--
barber/hairdresser?
Bartender/barmaid?
Blacksmith?
Doctor/nurse?
Farmer/rancher?
Librarian?
Miner/prospector?
Saloon gal?
School teacher?
sheriff/deputy? - <--------<< with mah deputy dawg of course.. :d
other?
(btw any gender restrictions are your own. There's no reason there can't be a lady sheriff,etc. Hopefully, there will be no dudes as saloon gals tho. )

bonus question:
please describe for us the clothes, accessories and extra gadgets you'll wear or have with you in the role(s) you choose.
here ya go.. This picture says it all! :d

foodie question:
sitch yerself right down at a table in the grizzled gulch diner and make yourself at home. Not only are elbows allowed on the table - boots are too!

Apps:
-stuffed jalapenos
-bbq rattle snake bites - <--------<<
-fried mountain oysters - aren't those called "rocky mountain oysters"?

entrees:
-chicken that crossed the road this morning to the wrong side - <--------<< i don't think he was too.. Chicken to cross the road... :d

sides:
-beans
-cornbread
-taters

drinks:
-keg beer
-water straight from the well - <--------<<
-sarsaparilla (yes, it's spelt correctly. I checked it in the dicshunary.)

just for fun:
So tell us some of the things you'll be doing or seeing since for a day in an old west town. - did they have victoria's secret back then? :d :d - i'm not sure, i'll just be riding mah horse around the town and check out how things were back then.
looking good mike. Ladybee

Old 01-31-2013, 09:22 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,900,311 times
[quote=bjh;28022426]Hold on to your hats! Run tell your friends! Today's Question is the rootin' tootin-est cowboy either side of the Mississippi River!

Today's Question:
Barber/hairdresser?
Bartender/barmaid?
Blacksmith?
Doctor/nurse?
Farmer/rancher?
Horse stable owner/worker?<------------Stable owner.
Librarian?
Miner/prospector?
Saloon gal?
School teacher?
Sheriff/deputy?
Other?

Bonus Question:
Please describe for us the clothes, accessories and extra gadgets you'll wear or have with you in the role(s) you choose. ..........I used to live in my cow girl boots when I was younger. I used to ride quite a bit. I wish I still had the deer skin fringe jacket my grandfather had custom made for my step grandmother. I could live in jeans and a jean shirt.

Foodie Question:

Apps:
-stuffed jalapenos.........
-bbq rattle snake bites ..
-fried mountain oysters .

Entrees:
-skillet eggs, bacon and hashbrowns<--------------
-chili with beans, pick 'em out if you don't want 'em,

Sides:
-beans<-----------OK
-cornbread<-------OK
-taters<------------OK

Drinks:
-keg beer <-------------
-water straight from the well<---------------------

Just for fun:

I would be riding my horse to the nearest watering hole, ripping off my clothes and going for a swim.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Brandy Alexander Day

Today's Picture:

Thanks bjh. Stay warm if you're here in the deep freeze in the Midwest.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:29 AM

24,697 posts, read 26,288,564 times
Today's Question:
Barber/hairdresser?
Bartender/barmaid?
Blacksmith?
Doctor/nurse?
Farmer/rancher?
Librarian?
Miner/prospector?
Saloon gal?
School teacher?
Sheriff/deputy?
Other?
Gambler-Card Shark

Bonus Question:
Typical gambler clothes,black pants, jacket, vest and hat, white frilly shirt. Derringer is optional.

Foodie Question:

Apps:
-stuffed jalapenos
-bbq rattle snake bites
-fried mountain oysters

Entrees:

Sides:
-beans
-cornbread
-taters

Drinks:
-keg beer

Just for fun:
After taking all the locals hard earned money, I best be taking the next train outta town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics