Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 05:01 PM

20,452 posts, read 14,773,837 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s):
Do you use luggage, or do you use things such as backpacks, zippered bags, etc. when going from place to place?
In the rare event that I can get away with just a carry-on, I would use a backpack. Mostly when I travel I need more than that so I have a good sized roller bag I check.

If you use luggage, how do you know which pieces are yours in a sea of suitcases?
I tie a brightly colored scarf on the handle and I have a brightly colored tag as well.

Just for Fun:
What are three things that raise the hairs on the back of your neck? (I assume you mean things that give me the heebie-jeebies.)
1.Needles. Not just any...tattoo needles are fine...but pokey injection type. I can't even watch someone stick a needle into a piece of fruit. On TV.
2. Eyeball-touching. I am not a fan of contacts. And in conjunction with #1 above, that show where people were getting their eyeballs "tattooed" (color injected into the white)...just thinking of it makes me want to crawl under my desk and hide right now.
3. Gory injuries (in real life.) My husband cut the very tip of his little finger off once...if I looked at it, I had the most fascinating stress-response. Like a burst of energy in the middle-back of my brain, followed by a cringe, followed by tightness in the stomach that gave way to mild nausea after I looked away. I kept telling myself it wasn't a big deal, we were in the ER and it was going to be fine...but still reacted the same to the SIGHT of it. Totally calm if I didn't look. I'm not normally that squeamish so it struck me as very odd.

Bonus Question:
What frustrates you most about modern technology, or have you got it all figured out?
I think of myself as being rather savvy...I taught myself to build a computer, and built one very nice gaming rig, with no help except reading and researching online. The things that have frustrated me the most in recent times have been:
1. My kids' Xboxes
2. My kids' PS3s
3. My own copy of World of Warcraft (which recently got CANCELLED.)

What made me angry is that I encountered issues with no clear-cut solutions available in any instructions printed or online, and conflicting advice to troubleshoot and fix the problems in a bazillion forums all over...and it SHOULD NOT BE SO HARD TO GET A ~~GAME~~ TO FUNCTION!! It's not rocket science, it is a darn GAME! Yet you need to become some kind of "leet haxxor" just to figure out how to make it work! Nevermind the fact that it's too expensive to NOT work!

Also cellphone companies need to get support personnel and website support that recognizes the complexity of the devices they now sell. They aren't even phones anymore really, they're little computers...

HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GREAT EVENING!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 05:16 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,999,882 times
Today's Question(s):
Do you use luggage, or do you use things such as backpacks, zippered bags, etc. when going from place to place?
More often zippered bags and such.

If you use luggage, how do you know which pieces are yours in a sea of suitcases?
Tags... and recognition.

Just for Fun:
What are three things that raise the hairs on the back of your neck?
1. Static electricity
2. Women speak
3. Know it alls

Bonus Question:
What frustrates you most about modern technology, or have you got it all figured out?
The fact that I dropped out of the loop a few years ago.

Today in History:
2011 A Border Collie has reportedly learned 1022 words and can act in accordance with the citation of those words Possibly the smartest breed of all.
1998 Hockey News selects Wayne Gretzky best NHL player ever
1988 U.S. Male Figure Skating championship won by Brian Boitano
1979 K-Mart pulls Steve Martin's "Let's Get Small" for being in "bad taste"
1969 Concorde jetliner's 1st test flight from Bristol England
1959 "Rawhide" with Clint Eastwood premieres on CBS TV

Rawhide - Opening Theme Music 1x06 - YouTube
Today’s Word:
conterminous
Pronunciation (kuhn-TUHR-muh-nuhs)
Meaning:adjective:
1. Having a common boundary.
2. Confined within one common boundary.
3. Having the same scope, in time, meaning, etc.
Etymology:From Latin con- (with) + terminus (boundary, limit). Earliest documented use: 1631.

Today is:
Balloon Ascension Day
National Static Electricity
Panama's Martyr Day
National Apricot Day

Quote of the Day:
Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared. ~ Buddha
Have a great day everyone!
Thanks PatsCats!

Old 01-10-2013, 07:13 PM
bjh

60,225 posts, read 30,496,718 times
Missed these yesterday so may as well.

Today's Question(s):
When traveling, sure. On the rare occasions I use my laptop at a public wireless location I bring it in a bookbag.

Orange tape. No, just kidding. I guess it's like recognizing your kid among his classmates. You just know.

Just for Fun:
1. a comb
2. a barber's shaver
3. a creepy story, okay I cheated on the first two.

Bonus Question:
I'm not sure it's possible to have it ALL figured out. My first thoughts, though, were more philosophical. What frustrates me about modern tech is that some people think we should then automatically throw out the old.

Today is:
Balloon Ascension Day
I guess that beats parachute descension.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:02 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,523,853 times
Today's Question(s):
Do you use luggage, or do you use things such as backpacks, zippered bags, etc. when going from place to place? Suitcases, unless it was just overnight.

If you use luggage, how do you know which pieces are yours in a sea of suitcases? I look at the tag quickly.

Just for Fun:
1. Nails on a chalkboard
2. Someone making a lot of noise when eating.
3. Seeing something gory.

Bonus Question:
What frustrates you most about modern technology, or have you got it all figured out? When my computer starts acting weird and I can't figure out why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics