Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 02:59 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,493,487 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, 20th November, 2012. I spent most of today pressure washing in the yard – paths, the paved pergola, paved patio, and stepping stones around the shed and the veggie patch. It took much longer than anticipated, and now that everything is dry I can see all the bits I missed. Looks like I’ll be at it again in the morning!

Today’s Question:

Whenever I catch a whiff of Crayola wax crayons I’m immediately transported back to my early childhood. What aroma/smell does that for you?

Extra Credit Question:

Approximately how many plastic cards do you carry around in your wallet (debit cards, credit cards, store cards, loyalty cards, discount cards, medical cards - whatever)?

Bonus Question:

Which of the following would scare or unnerve you the most ?

A rat in the kitchen cabinet you just opened
A big spider on the bedroom wall above your head when you wake up in the morning
A snake on the porch just as you’re heading out the door
A scorpion in the tent when you’re camping

Just for fun:

If you had to be a famous singer or musician (dead or alive) for a day, who would you choose to be?

Today in History:

1789 New Jersey is first state to ratify Bill of Rights
1888 William Bundy patents timecard clock
1914 U.S. State Department starts requiring photographs for passports
1923 Garrett Morgan invents and patents traffic signal
1967 At 11 AM, Census Clock at Department of Commerce ticks past 200 million
1984 McDonald's made its 50 billionth hamburger
1992 Queen Elizabeth's home, Windsor Castle, catches fire

Today’s Word:

Fob \ FOB \ , noun;
1. A short chain, usually with a medallion or similar ornament, worn hanging from a pocket.
2. A small pocket just below the waistline in trousers for a watch, keys, change, etc.
verb:
1. To cheat someone by substituting something spurious or inferior.
2. To put (someone) off by deception or trickery.

Today Is:

Name Your PC Day
Universal Children's Day
Future Teachers of America Day
World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims
National Peanut Butter Fudge Day
Globally Organised Hug A Runner Day (aka G.O.H.A.R.D)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 04:02 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,872,793 times
Today’s Question:

Whenever I catch a whiff of Crayola wax crayons I’m immediately transported back to my early childhood. What aroma/smell does that for you?
The first that comes to mind is pipe tobacco. My grandfather smoked a pipe and I loved the smell. Of course I don't remember the last time I smelled that..... So, the last time I remember truly being transported back in time by a smell was a couple years ago, walking into a barn at the CSA. I guess there was an audible sigh, because my daughter turned around to see my tears. I grew up on a farm. My dad sold the machinery and cattle my senior year in high school and several years later had the barn, over a century old, taken down because he couldn't face watching it fall down.

Extra Credit Question:

Approximately how many plastic cards do you carry around in your wallet (debit cards, credit cards, store cards, loyalty cards, discount cards, medical cards - whatever)? I can think of 6 without looking and am sure there's more.

Bonus Question:

A rat in the kitchen cabinet you just opened.......
A big spider on the bedroom wall above your head when you wake up in the morning
Though seriously.... all of them.
Just for fun:

If you had to be a famous singer or musician (dead or alive) for a day, who would you choose to be? Hm.... Everyone I've thought of so far had a sad life. Not sure.

Peanut butter fudge day? I'll be making some for Christmas.

Last day of school before Thanksgiving break! Tomorrow will be all about cooking. Enjoy your day, all!

Last edited by kpinvt; 11-20-2012 at 04:31 AM..

Old 11-20-2012, 04:05 AM

27,383 posts, read 27,427,661 times
Crayons, yes, it does magically make one think of childhood days. I still like to colour!
I only carry a few cards, the necessary ones. License, debit, and my poa blood card (the one that specifies that under no circumstances to give me blood in any accident, surgery or otherwise where some might think its needed).
If I could be a famous singer/musician for a day, Id like to be Crissie Hynde. She still rocks, even at the age of 60!
Peanut butter fudge....yeah!
Have a good Tuesday everyone.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:10 AM

16,909 posts, read 16,158,757 times
Today’s Question: Yayyyy! Hi Kobber! Good day to you and all the QOTD family!

~ I'd have to agree on the scent of Crayola crayons! Also, the smell of sarsaparilla and sassafras!
As kids we used to take some of the roots and chew on them to taste the "root beer".

Extra Credit Question:

Approximately how many plastic cards do you carry around in your wallet (debit cards, credit cards, store cards, loyalty cards, discount cards, medical cards - whatever)?
~ I would guess 4.

Bonus Question:

~ This would be the most scary!
~ Not really scary but it would send me into a mad dash to kill it!
~ Not at all scared, I would love that!
~ Get it out of the tent, pack up and go home!

Just for fun:

If you had to be a famous singer or musician (dead or alive) for a day, who would you choose to be?
~ I don't know.

Today in History:

1984 McDonald's made its 50 billionth hamburger ~ Yayyy! I like McDonald's burgers and fries!
1992 Queen Elizabeth's home, Windsor Castle, catches fire ~ I guess she should have lived in a White Castle instead. (That's a hamburger chain here in the U.S.A.)

Today’s Word:

Fob \ FOB \ , noun;
1. A short chain, usually with a medallion or similar ornament, worn hanging from a pocket.
2. A small pocket just below the waistline in trousers for a watch, keys, change, etc.
verb:
~ I have fob pockets and a fob watch! Didn't know they are called that!

Today Is:

Name Your PC Day ~ Okay.......Bessie.

National Peanut Butter Fudge Day ~ .....YAYYYYYY!

*** Thank you Kobber for the terrific fun and questions! Maybe you can just leave the work alone and learn to like the spottyness that's there?!
I wish you all a real nice day and night and good luck and miracles for those that could use them! ***

Last edited by rainroosty; 11-20-2012 at 04:44 AM..

Old 11-20-2012, 04:47 AM

11,389 posts, read 9,309,198 times
Hello everyone,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, 20th November, 2012. I spent most of today pressure washing in the yard – paths, the paved pergola, paved patio, and stepping stones around the shed and the veggie patch. It took much longer than anticipated, and now that everything is dry I can see all the bits I missed. Looks like I’ll be at it again in the morning!

Today’s Question:

Pool water, I guess it's the chlorine. It reminds me of the day camp I went to for 5 years and learning how to swim.

Quote:
Extra Credit Question:

Way too many. It didn't seem that long ago when I cleaned this up by buying a new wallet and carring the minimum.
Now it's time for me to clean out my wallet again.

Quote:
Bonus Question:

The rat, but probably all of the above.

Quote:
Just for fun:

I dunno, maybe a young Mick Jagger. I'd like to have women screaming over me and fronting a rock band just to see what's that's like.

Quote:
A truly undeserving feat if there ever was one.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Old 11-20-2012, 04:49 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,564,872 times
Today’s Question:

Whenever I catch a whiff of Crayola wax crayons I’m immediately transported back to my early childhood. What aroma/smell does that for you? Ooh good question. Let me sniff around and I will get back to you. I think the smell of rain hitting the dirt in southwestern Oklahoma. It has a very strong smell and one can smell it long before the rain comes. I love that smell. Maybe it's because the dirt is red and normally very dry in summer. I almost said the smell of my grandpa. I know his smell. LOL!

Extra Credit Question:

Approximately how many plastic cards do you carry around in your wallet (debit cards, credit cards, store cards, loyalty cards, discount cards, medical cards - whatever)? I had over 25, but just recently took them ALL out save three.

Bonus Question:

A rat in the kitchen cabinet you just opened Happens all the time here, but they are mice.
A big spider on the bedroom wall above your head when you wake up in the morning I love spiders, they are considered good luck to my people.
A snake on the porch just as you’re heading out the door I don't fear garden snakes or non-poisonous ones. But this is probably the winner.
A scorpion in the tent when you’re camping We have a lot of scorpions in our home. I have at least 3 or 4 close encounters every year. I have already been stung by one this past year.

Just for fun:

If you had to be a famous singer or musician (dead or alive) for a day, who would you choose to be? I hate copying people, it's a weird quirk. But if I HAD to be someone for a day, it would be Liza Minelli. I know. What a stereotype!

Today Is:
Name Your PC Day BUBBA!
Universal Children's Day

I love the McDonald's $1 McDoubles.

Last edited by _redbird_; 11-20-2012 at 05:02 AM..

Old 11-20-2012, 04:52 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,715,172 times
[quote=Kobber;27024435]Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, 20th November, 2012. I spent most of today pressure washing in the yard – paths, the paved pergola, paved patio, and stepping stones around the shed and the veggie patch. It took much longer than anticipated, and now that everything is dry I can see all the bits I missed. Looks like I’ll be at it again in the morning!

Today’s Question:

Whenever I catch a whiff of Crayola wax crayons I’m immediately transported back to my early childhood. What aroma/smell does that for you? Cinnamon buns!

Extra Credit Question:

Approximately how many plastic cards do you carry around in your wallet (debit cards, credit cards, store cards, loyalty cards, discount cards, medical cards - whatever)? 8

Bonus Question:

A rat in the kitchen cabinet you just opened- No
A big spider on the bedroom wall above your head when you wake up in the morning - How big is it?
A snake on the porch just as you’re heading out the door - Depends what type of snake.
A scorpion in the tent when you’re camping - I don't like camping so this would never happen.

Just for fun:

If you had to be a famous singer or musician (dead or alive) for a day, who would you choose to be? Janis Joplin comes to mind and so does Barbra Striesand and Martina McBride.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Fob \ FOB \ , noun;
verb:

Today Is:

Name Your PC Day
Universal Children's Day

Old 11-20-2012, 05:20 AM

3,244 posts, read 1,312,319 times
[quote=Kobber;27024435]Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, 20th November, 2012. I spent most of today pressure washing in the yard – paths, the paved pergola, paved patio, and stepping stones around the shed and the veggie patch. It took much longer than anticipated, and now that everything is dry I can see all the bits I missed. Looks like I’ll be at it again in the morning!
Today’s Question:

Whenever I catch a whiff of Crayola wax crayons I’m immediately transported back to my early childhood. What aroma/smell does that for you? There are so many things, but the scent of apples being fried in bacon drippings and cat heads in the oven, coffee perking away on the stove... comforts me like a warm blanket on a cold day. It speaks of my parents teasing with each other while Mama cooked breakfast. Of laughter and love that filled our home. A safe haven away from the world outside our door. It is home.

Bonus Question:

Just for fun:

If you had to be a famous singer or musician (dead or alive) for a day, who would you choose to be? Patsy Cline

Patsy Cline - Crazy Lyrics - YouTube

Old 11-20-2012, 06:09 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,056,875 times
Today’s Question:

Old Spice - my dad used to wear it

Extra Credit Question:

A debit card

Bonus Question:

A rat in the kitchen cabinet you just openedI can't stand rats

Just for fun:

Stevie Ray or Hendrix - 2 of the best guitarists ever.

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Crossfire - Austin, TX 1989 - YouTube

Jimi Hendrix - Star Spangled Banner Woodstock 1969 - YouTube

Old 11-20-2012, 06:32 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,617,649 times
Mornin' all!

Today’s Question:

Baking bread. My grandma did that quite often.

Extra Credit Question:

Just a few, mostly ID type cards; Driver's License, Student ID, etc.

Bonus Question:

I'm not afraid of rats, spiders, or snakes. Most where I live are harmless anyway, and I know how to identify those that aren't. They might startle me, but I could handle getting rid of them myself without harming them. Scorpions, not so much!

Just for fun:

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Fob \ FOB \ , noun;
verb:

Today Is:

Name Your PC Day His name is Ruby.
Universal Children's Day

Thanx for the Qs Kobber.
Have a good day everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics