Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 12:40 AM

16,805 posts, read 17,577,531 times

Advertisements

Good morning peevers.

Mrs J and I went to the theatre for the last night performance of a play, the cast of which included Miss J. Enjoyable isn't quite the right word because the subject was pretty dark. It was very well done.

I did hear a couple of electronic bleeps coming from devices within the audience, but thankfully no cellphones going off.

That has not always been my experience, which leads to the POTD which is;

Cellphones going off during public performances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 12:41 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,586,200 times
Mine regarding cell phones are those who do not know how to use their indoor voice when on the cell phone and the longer they talk the louder they get.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:56 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,508,476 times
How did people ever get along b4 cell phones????? Remember the old phone on the wall that we hated to answer during dinner or late in the evening? Why would anyone WANT to get calls during an evening out?? (Barring emergencies, of course).

Old 09-02-2012, 01:04 AM

4,001 posts, read 6,305,138 times
Incredibly rude in a live performance.

In fact with the amount people check the damn things these days, there's no need for it to make a sound anyway.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:18 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,226,615 times
Don't get me started on cell phones..... I swore I'd never have one. I now have two in my possession. Hand me downs from wife and kids as they switched from these to Droids and now some other smart phones. One has a little time on it. The other doesn't. I carried the little one with about 20 minutes left on it to the movies a couple weeks ago. Gdaughter and i went to see Pirates. Wouldn't you know in the middle of the movie it starts vibrating in my pocket. Then it starts buzzing! I smothered it until it stopped. I didn't want to answer in the theater and didn't know how to cut it off.

I hate the damn things. Poorly designed little monoliths. I've handled others phones before and there's no where you can touch them without screwing up something. The flip phones were at least half *ssed user friendly but not these new pocket bricks. Why do so many suffer with these things? They don't really need to be that small! Every where you look people with those things shoved in their ears radiating their brains. Games, calls, texting, GPS, Facebook! My God what a racket. All those bills each month for minutes of mindlessness. Another racket just like cable TV. What was convenient, cheap and extremely dependable is now very costly, unwieldy, (awkward to use) , and a nuisance to most! My 4 year old Gdaughter can zip through one with no problem whatsoever. I'm too old to retool for these slabs of useless crap. I feel better now! Thanks for asking!

Old 09-02-2012, 01:51 AM

44,753 posts, read 62,117,125 times
^^^Hey, thanks for telling it how we both feel. Saved me from a heart attack. We keep ours in the glove box in the vehicles and are used only for an emergency or to let one of us know where we are or when we'll be home.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:56 AM

I forgot to add they are very undependable. There's an ugly eyesore cell tower every 1/8th of a mile here. Still dropped calls, no rings, straight to message, plain old unable to make contact constantly with these things. All that cash down the tubes.... Do you think if they truly find evidence the things are dangerous to your health they'll warn you? Billions of dollars at risk. If they did cleaning up all those cell towers and replacing payphones will take some time. I love my dependable landline. It's cheap too!

Old 09-02-2012, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
^^^Hey, thanks for telling it how we both feel. Saved me from a heart attack. We keep ours in the glove box in the vehicles and are used only for an emergency or to let one of us know where we are or when we'll be home.
Now this is the only sensible use for this otherwise unnecessary device. But, if everyone uses it only for that there's not enough Billions for the infrastructure (and hardware) which is massive and cumbersome and unsightly. I still think it's terrible and an extremely inefficient means of communications. They only have about a 1/4 mile range ..without a repeater or relay tower on every street corner they are useless. I still cannot believe the service ever got off the ground! The support system is massive. The cell business is a monster!

Old 09-02-2012, 02:19 AM

44,753 posts, read 62,117,125 times
^^^Highway robbers they are. Scenic polluters they are, grrrrrrrrrrr, a bunch of tweets too...

Old 09-02-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
^^^Highway robbers they are. Scenic polluters they are, grrrrrrrrrrr, a bunch of tweets too...
Curse them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics