Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 02:33 AM

44,753 posts, read 62,104,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Curse them!

'The Curse Of The Mobile Phone', written and performed by Paul Lester. - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 03:23 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,531,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post

Cellphones going off during public performances.
People and their cellphones can be extremely rude.

Satx and Nitram-Tell us how you really feel, lol.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:07 AM

2,311 posts, read 1,855,329 times
I check mine for the time, that's basically it. I'm not one to make a public commotion so it stays in my pocket for 90% of the day. I remember going to the movies and seeing a lot of peoples faces light up because they were stuck in their phone right before the movie. Some people can't get off them and what drives me up the wall is when people are talking on their phones while driving.. That makes me wild. The phone call can wait!

Old 09-02-2012, 05:03 AM

5,234 posts, read 8,029,193 times
People are rude, so its not surprising they wouldn't care if their call bothers someone else. They do have the vibrate feature on the phone, so if one is expecting some important call, you will know without bothering anyone else. Or just turn it off, its not the mission control hotline after all. Manners and courtesy, two words that are becoming as forgotten as the words innocence and morals.

I used to laugh about how small the phones were, more the size for Pebbles Flintstone. Hey lets make the buttons a little smaller and harder to see, then we can cram more stuff on there. I agree about the scenery pollution and that will only continue to get worse. Ya always here about people getting their iphone or ipad stolen, hey heres an idea, don't advertise you have it when in a crowded area. Your ear won't fall off if its not stuck to a phone.

Great video, Nitram.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:49 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,273,548 times
No cell phone for me--no need for one.

I hate when people are grocery shopping and block the aisles while they are lost in a phone conversation. I want to snatch it out of their hands and stomp on it.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:13 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,278,508 times
Quote:
Good morning peevers. Mrs J and I went to the theatre for the last night performance of a play, the cast of which included Miss J. Enjoyable isn't quite the right word because the subject was pretty dark. It was very well done.

I did hear a couple of electronic bleeps coming from devices within the audience, but thankfully no cellphones going off.

That has not always been my experience, which leads to the POTD which is;

I didn't know Miss J was acting! That would have been fun for me in my much younger years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
How did people ever get along b4 cell phones????? Remember the old phone on the wall that we hated to answer during dinner or late in the evening? Why would anyone WANT to get calls during an evening out?? (Barring emergencies, of course).
That used to be the rule, no calls during dinner hour and never calls after 9:00pm unless an emergency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I forgot to add they are very undependable. There's an ugly eyesore cell tower every 1/8th of a mile here. Still dropped calls, no rings, straight to message, plain old unable to make contact constantly with these things. All that cash down the tubes.... Do you think if they truly find evidence the things are dangerous to your health they'll warn you? Billions of dollars at risk. If they did cleaning up all those cell towers and replacing payphones will take some time. I love my dependable landline. It's cheap too!
Since arriving in Florida, my cell phones won't function inside the house. Not in north Florida with Sprint and not in Tampa with AT&T. It's not the phone itself. I tried three different cells and finally stopped paying $100+ and switched to a T-mobile that cost less than $20 with pay as you go minutes. So I ordered a landline from Brighthouse but turns out it functions off the computer modem. So if power goes out, I'm SOL unless the cell is charged and I want to trot outside for a call. I carry the cell with me for emergencies. Have not given anyone the number but I do get calls from Walgreens about someone else's prescription and also get the scam text messages about winning a $1,000 gift card. It's all ignored and deleted.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:18 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,282,042 times
Quote:
Good morning peevers.

Mrs J and I went to the theatre for the last night performance of a play, the cast of which included Miss J. Enjoyable isn't quite the right word because the subject was pretty dark. It was very well done.

I did hear a couple of electronic bleeps coming from devices within the audience, but thankfully no cellphones going off.

Mornin Jezer from across the pond! My most favorite pet peeve, gripe, complaint of all times..cell phones in general and some of the folks who insist on using them in public places or at your home during a social event. This summer my husband and I had a barbecue down by our pool which is truly a lot of work to prepare for seeing that we are older and do the work ourselves. Anyhow, I invited my son and two of his friends with their children. The friends had their faces PLANTED in their cell phones the whole time they were visiting. I was in the water having an absolute blast with their kids..volleyball, basketball..and they never got out of their cellphone stupor. I was so insulted. Needles to say, I have not invited them back since.

AND....a friend of mine was at a funeral and the PRIEST's cell phone went off during the service. He had it in his pocket. Can you imagine!!

I am with you and Mrs. J 100% no cell phones allowed to be turned on during any kind of public event!

Old 09-02-2012, 07:27 AM

11,864 posts, read 11,085,922 times
It's one thing when people forget to turn it off and do so immediately upon hearing it ring, but those who have the nerve to answer it (and have a conversation) should get kicked out of the theatre.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:28 AM

27,497 posts, read 27,521,349 times
Quote:
Good morning peevers.

Mrs J and I went to the theatre for the last night performance of a play, the cast of which included Miss J. Enjoyable isn't quite the right word because the subject was pretty dark. It was very well done.

...And people answering them at the checkout lines!!!!!

Old 09-02-2012, 07:46 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,119,024 times
Those same people would find a way to be rude even with out the phones.

I don't understand why more people don't speak up when it counts. I guess we're the ones that are afraid of being rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics