Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 09:49 PM

44,369 posts, read 20,073,157 times

Advertisements

Happy weekend, kids! Scroll on down for Today's Tip.

IMPROVE YOUR BALANCE AND PREVENT FALLS

Here are a few helpful hints I found in an article in the newspaper supplement, USA Weekend.

Try tai chi. It involves slow, graceful movements and good posture. It improves balance,
flexibility and muscle strength even though it does not involve any apparatus.

If you're waiting in line at the grocery store, standing at your kitchen sink or just find
yourself idle, hold onto something sturdy and stand on one foot for about 10 seconds.
Then switch feet and stand on the other for 10 seconds. Do this at least 10 times on
each foot. As your balance and strength improve, try it without holding onto anything.

Have your ears and eyes checked. Ear problems can cause imbalance. Eye problems or
wearing the wrong glasses can make you more prone to falls. Also have your meds
checked, as sometimes medications can throw you off kilter.

Finally, some ways you can fall-proof your home are by adding grab bars, putting non-slip
mats in your bath tub or shower and securing throw rugs with double-sided adhesive tape.

I'll add a PS from my own experience. If you have pets, especially cats who often appear
under foot without making a sound, shuffle your feet so that you don't trip over them.
Thousands of falls occur every year when people trip over their pets.

Be careful, and have a great weekend!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:25 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
I use my recliner often to prevent falls and keep me balanced. The table next to it keeps my liquid refreshments balanced also.
One time at a store while waiting I tried that one foot stance and then the other foot and was thrown outta the store for creating a scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 12:52 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times
I like verbal gymnastics my self. With the Olympics at hand I may try some light calisthenics or maybe some dirty dancing... Thanks for the enlightening tips Pam!!

Old 07-28-2012, 03:46 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,252,594 times
I do tai chi! It's gentle stretching and does the body good.

An unbalanced diet can also cause ear and eye problems.

I have to keep shuffling in mind especially with my older cat. She does her own shuffling and stays right next to my feet as I move about in the kitchen. So it's best if I slide my feet instead of lifting.

Great tips!

Old 07-28-2012, 06:31 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,553,248 times
Awesome tip Pammy one that definitely should be taken seriously..

I learned the hard way, I tripped over the end of my bedspread and immediately whet into a running stance trying not to fall. Well I ended up in the Kitchen and went face first into the refrigerator shattering my left arm humurous bone and fracturing my shoulder. I was all alone...I had to sit up which was excruciating pain and I could hear my bones clanking like broken glass . I wiggled on my ass back into my bedroom where my cordless phone was and I called my oldest son. He was there within 10 minutes and called 911 for me, why I didn't I will never know, but from that moment on I have no memory of the EMT's, The Police, and Fire Department. I last remember laying in my bed with my arm in a sling on top of a soft pillow my sonput under my arm but no cast or anything else. I asked my son what hapened to me and he said I blacked out from the pain and was taken to the hospital and had no recolation of being there for 2 days...He said I refused treatment and was sent home.

So be aware of your footing, you never know what may happen, I ended up having surgery on my shoulder and they had to put a metal rod down my arm to connect my wrist and shoulder!!! What an experience that was one I would like to forget...

Be aware of everything in front of you, even throw rugs can make you trip and fall, just be aware of your surroundings.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:57 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,897,666 times
Excellent tip....I am always so afraid of falling down!
Specially with cats around who sometimes come around me when I have not noticed.
Good to know I can start practicing that Tai Chi!!

Old 07-28-2012, 07:59 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,049,410 times
Excellent tips, Pam. My son's dad started taking tai chi classes after his stroke and it's amazing how it helped him regain balance, etc. He said that prior to going he had a hard time even getting up the stairs from his bedroom suite and now you wouldn't even know he'd had the stroke.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:16 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,766,863 times
Great tip! Also watch out when wearing flip-flops or sandals, you can trip on the loose shoes. My mom-in-law tripped on the toe of her shoe (was not picking up her feet) fell into the door facing and tore the rotator cuff in her shoulder. tai chi is excellent for balance, some types of yoga are good also.

Beginner Tai Chi first 4 movements - YouTube

Old 07-28-2012, 08:48 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,212,851 times
Good tips, Pam. I have fallen several times over the past few years--last time just 6 weeks ago and broke my nose.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:39 AM

24,476 posts, read 26,017,453 times
Great tips Pam, mine is getting dome what better after adjusting my meds, hip and leg issues str now my problem.

Throw rugs and cats can be a PITA so you need to be aware of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics