Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 11:29 PM

44,399 posts, read 20,125,699 times

Advertisements

Howdy, kids! Today's Tip comes to us from our friend AksarbeN. Thanks, Aks!
This is important and timely stuff, so scroll on down and check it out. The video
is great - very informative.

GOT MALWARE?

In AksarbeN's own words:

I'm not sure if this would be a good tip or not. However I just found this today and thought it might be a good idea to pass it on. There is a short video that tells about the pc "malware" problem and how to deal with it. But first you need to know if you have it. There are several links that I included just in case the main page gets deleted for some reason. However people can skip all the links and simply go directly to the last link to see if they are or are not infected.

I didn't see anything like this information in the computer forum but I could have missed it. I also don't know if many of our friends here even go to that forum or not. All this needs to be checked before July 9th.

You might want to check this out if you have not already done so. The short video explains the problem and issue as well what to do. You can click on the first link and see the video.

Internet Doomsday Malware Video

http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/t...l-video-866717

DCWG | DNS Changer Working Group

How Can I Protect Myself?
This page describes how you can determine if you are infected, and how you can clean infected machines. To check if you’re infected, Click Here. If you believe you are infected, here are instructions on how to clean your computer.
Detect | DCWG

Quote:
A simple DNS Changer Check-Up site listed below.
For example, the DNS Changer Check-Up - Clean will state if you are or are not infected (see below).

DNS Changer Check-Up - Clean

This should let you know if you are or are not affected.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:36 AM

16,913 posts, read 16,169,245 times
DNSChanger: No, the Internet Isn’t Shutting Down on Monday | Techland | TIME.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 04:31 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,259,819 times
I've had my own very recent experience with trojans on both PC's. At this time, I have MacAfee on one PC and a trial of Kaspersky on the other PC.

Aks, did it find what you were concerned about?

Last edited by Dallas Kitty; 07-07-2012 at 04:41 AM..

Old 07-07-2012, 04:40 AM

1,738 posts, read 769,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
I've had my own very recent experience with trojans on both PC's. At this time, I have MacAfee on one PC and a trial of Kaspersky on the other PC.

Aks, if I try to run this, will it require removal of other antivirus? Did you use it? If so, what did it find?

I clicked on the link to see if this laptop was infected and it said something like we were "green" and that is supposed to mean that we weren't infected. It didn't require us to download anything, and I didn't try to download anything. Hope that helps.

Last edited by HelloWorldItsMe; 07-07-2012 at 04:50 AM..

Old 07-07-2012, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloWorldItsMe View Post
I clicked on the link to see if this laptop was infected and it said something like we were "green" and that is supposed to mean that we weren't infected. It didn't require us to download anything, and I didn't try to download anything. Hope that helps.
Hi HelloWorldItMe! I must have edited the same time you were posting. I read a little and saw that it didn't download or do anything. So I clicked and happy to see "green" on this laptop. Next I'll give it a try on the desktop. Interesting to know we can check in with the FBI on computer issues!

Old 07-07-2012, 06:51 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,642,859 times
I checked too and I got the "green" light so hopefully all is well. Thanks Aks and Pam, I wouldn't have know to do this otherwise!

Old 07-07-2012, 07:03 AM

The thing this FBI link isn't finding for me is the "searchq" thing that is still lurking. It takes over default browser. I can still use McAfee secure browser but each time I close, searchq takes over. It hides and from what I'm finding searching is that you need to be an expert computer geek to find it and get rid of it. If anyone has anything to offer on getting rid of it, please let me know!!!!!!!

Old 07-07-2012, 07:23 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,060,394 times
I had been reading about this so went ahead and checked by computer. Didn't think I was infected but better to be safe than sorry.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:50 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,932,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post

Aks, did it find what you were concerned about?
Nothing found here on the pc, it's "green" and I'm safe as best I can tell. The simple click of that last link in the post helps avoid all the techie stuff, however watching the short video gives you an understanding of what is going on and why you need to check into this. I just remembered that I MUST also check the other computer laptop and see if that one is ok, I haven't done it yet.

Hopefully this is all simply a false alarm and no one has any problems, however it's always best to be safer than sorry.

As for security on the pc's I have, I keep using McAfee and so far nothing ever turns up when I have any scans running. I've been a victim before and I don't want to be one again.

Stay safe everyone.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:22 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,560,183 times
I have ESET NOD32 and that's the best malware as far as I know. My soon to be x-husband is a computer wiz and he installed it into my computer and I never have any problems it takes cares of any viruses or worms immediately.

Try it you might like it

But thanks for the tips guys ,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics