Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 05:22 AM

18,968 posts, read 11,675,083 times

Advertisements

Tell us one of your fondest memories of dear old mom, grandma, an aunt, or anyone who has been like a mom to you? my mom would not like to be referred to as dear old mom so I'll make this about my grandma. One of my favorite memories is of reading with my grandmother. We'd go to the library (she died the summer I turned 5 so we started early), or she'd read to/with me at her house. She was a published writer and had a marvelous imagination and way with words - often she'd just make up stories for me on the spot. My mom has that same gift.

Most of us probably got our first lessons in sharing from our moms.
Then or now what's something you didn't want to share? a toothbrush! One of my older sisters used my toothbrush once - disgusting! This was after we were adults!

Do you like eating shrimp? s'alright
If so, how so - how do you like shrimp cooked and what do you like to have with it? my mom used to bring me shrimp cocktail to eat on the drive home from the airport after she picked me up when I flew in from school or wherever. That's a fun memory - what a weird thing to bring but it was good and special! Usually I eat shrimp as scampi with liguine - or sometimes stuffed with crabmeat - that last was years ago though.

When was the last time you visited a library? Last month - but I go to the library a lot

Any particular reason or just browsing? Several reasons - usually not browsing

What do you like or dislike about libraries? I like pretty much everything about libraries. I love a good old library building with lots of old library implements around - and with it's own particular smell. Here in Pittsburgh, the Carnegie Library is attached to the Carnegie Museums of Art and Natural History. The back wall of the relatively recently refurbished dinosaur hall is glass and shows through to the stacks of the library. It's so wild to see those massive prehistoric dinosaur skeletons with the modern glass and the old but not ancient stacks behind them. It's my favorite spot in the entire museum.

A Picture for Today:
Today's picture is of the reading room in the Jefferson Building at the Library of Congress in Washington, DC.
I wrote several (excellent) papers in that room when I was in college - good memories. Beautiful library. Probably my favorite building on/near the mall.

ETA: BTW, I complete the QOTD in order without reading ahead or having read others responses. So that grandmother library memory was just a happy coincidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 05:29 AM

36,572 posts, read 16,152,284 times
Today's Question:
Tell us one of your fondest memories of dear old mom, grandma, an aunt, or anyone who has been like a mom to you?

Oh so many memories! Sad time of year though, with Mother's Day coming up, my Mom died 5 years ago, the day after Mother's Day I'm still in shock. But I always talk about her with my Dad.

Bonus Question:
Then or now what's something you didn't want to share?
I share pretty good, maybe too good! But I won't share my space, privacy!
Did you have to anyway?
I had to share a lot with my brother or he would throw a fit, still does

Foodie Question:
Today is Shrimp day.
Do you like eating shrimp? I've had shrimp scampi that was excellent a long time ago, otherwise not much!
If so, how so - how do you like shrimp cooked and what do you like to have with it?
I never order it or cook it.

Just for fun:
When was the last time you visited a library?
Oh last year!
Any particular reason or just browsing?
Looking for something in particular and they didn't have anything, very small library.

What do you like or dislike about libraries?
I like the smell, the quiet, although I don't have a good eye for finding the right book or something that captures me, only once in a while

Today in History:
1497 Italian navigator Amerigo Vespucci left for first voyage to New World. The Americas were later named for him.
1534 French navigator Jacques Cartier reached what is now called Newfoundland, Canada
1752 In Pennsylvania inventor Benjamin Franklin first tested the lightning rod
1857 In India soldiers rebelled against British rulers for the first time
1869 Transcontinental railroad completed by the driving in of the Golden Spike at Promontory Point, Utah
1906 Russia's Duma Parliament met for the first time
1907 Scotsman Kenneth Grahame wrote the first of a series of letters to his son, Alastair, that became The Wind in the Willows, a children's classic
1940 Winston Churchill succeeded Neville Chamberlain as British Prime Minister
1960 USS Nautilus submarine completed the first completely underwater circumnavigation of the globe
1969 Apollo 10 transmitted first color pictures of Earth from space

Today’s Word:
Swiss chard - [swis chahrd] noun
a variety of beet, Beta vulgaris cicla, having leaves and leafstalks that are used as a vegetable

Today Is:
Blood Pressure Day Mine is low
Clean Up Your Room Day Oh okay, I'll pick up some clothes, otherwise it's clean.
Make-A-Book Day Ha ha, in the process of doing that with my client.
Mother's Day (Mexico)
Receptionist Day Be a little friendly okay, it won't kill ya
Shrimp Day
Small Business Day
Trust Your Intuition Day
Windmill Day

A Picture for Today:
Today's picture is of the reading room in the Jefferson Building at the Library of Congress in Washington, DC.

As a part of the Library of Congress collection, this picture is in the public domain.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:42 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,270,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Sunday is Mother's Day here in the USA and Thursday the 10th of May is Mother's Day in Mexico so for our first question . . .

Today's Question:
Tell us one of your fondest memories of dear old mom, grandma, an aunt, or anyone who has been like a mom to you?
Moms-in-law! Both of them love(d) to play a game I named Dictionary Wars. Someone would use a word, or pronounce a word, in such a way they thought incorrect. They would get "that look," and the race was on. We would run for the dictionaries, look up the word, and we would be into a friendly shouting match as to what was/was not correct. It was fun, even though the war was invariably between one of them and me alone, while the others would just smile. I am fortunate to have had two wonderful mothers-in-law, although one is gone now, and I cannot play Dictionary Wars with the remainning one, because she is too physically fragile. Wonderful ladies!

Quote:
Bonus Question:

Did you have to anyway?
The privilege of openning my purse/wallet
Absolutely NOT! No one touches my purse/wallet

Quote:
Foodie Question:
Today is Shrimp day.
Do you like eating shrimp?
If so, how so - how do you like shrimp cooked and what do you like to have with it?
Not kosher, so no.

Quote:
Just for fun:

I don't do libraries where I live now: their system is ludicrous, and I would rather buy a book than deal with them. Rather than building a couple or more fine libraries, they built a bunch of tiny, poorly-stocked, ridiculous "libraries" all over the city and now, the majority of them are closed. Anyone with common sense could have told them that the idea was worse than ridiculous. So now that we are down to a few libraries, I'm not used to using them anymore, and I just buy what I want. We have a fine library in our home that usually suits our needs, and when it doesn't, we go online or go shopping.

Last edited by VelcroQueen; 05-10-2012 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-10-2012, 05:52 AM

37,862 posts, read 41,261,575 times
Foodie Question:
Today is Shrimp day.

No. I don't eat anything that comes out of the water.

Just for fun:

About 2 years ago.

Dropping off some book donations.

Dislikes:

1. They don't have the latest nonfiction books of the type I like to read.
2. I feel compelled not to bend the pages to mark a spot because the book isn't mine.
3. If I like a book I can't keep it.
4. I can't bend down for the bottom shelf or see the titles on that bottom shelf or reach what's on the top shelf. No shelves on Amazon so no bad kneed shortie like me bending down or leaping up for books.
5. Books are misfiled. No such thing on Amazon.
6. Unlike Amazon, I can't browse books at, for example, 2:00A in the morning.
7. Unlike Amazon, I can't get my book half dressed or in "slob attire."
8. Unlike Amazon, I might have to wait for someone to finish a book before I get it.
9. Unlike Amazon they don't send me e-mails saying "because you've read X-type books in the past, you might like these books."

They were a lifesaver, however, when I was without a PC for a few weeks.

Suggestion to libraries: Have a library delivery service (like pizza delivery) for shut ins where they can order the books on line and someone delivers them and picks up the books. Lots of older people and/or disabled people would probably appreciate it if they can't afford to buy books.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:30 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,622,816 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question:
Most of my childhood was spent with my grandma while my single mom worked, so most of my memories are of my grandma. She was sweet, always kind, and I am mostly who I am today because of her.

Bonus Question:
I wanted to share everything.

Did you have to anyway?

Foodie Question:
Today is Shrimp day.
I've been meat-free since '93, but my favorite way to eat shrimp used to be boiled, cold, and nekkid! Just shrimp. Nothing else.

Just for fun:
A couple of months ago.
For a meeting, but I did browse after.
I dislike that some play music. If an individual wants to play their iPod with headphones or something like that, that's fine. But part of the reason to go to a library is to go somewhere quiet where there are fewer distractions.

Today in History:
1497 Italian navigator Amerigo Vespucci left for first voyage to New World. The Americas were later named for him.
1534 French navigator Jacques Cartier reached what is now called Newfoundland, Canada I just got back from there! Absolutely beautiful!!!
1869 Transcontinental railroad completed by the driving in of the Golden Spike at Promontory Point, Utah
1907 Scotsman Kenneth Grahame wrote the first of a series of letters to his son, Alastair, that became The Wind in the Willows, a children's classic
1960 USS Nautilus submarine completed the first completely underwater circumnavigation of the globe

Today’s Word:
a variety of beet, Beta vulgaris cicla, having leaves and leafstalks that are used as a vegetable
As a vegetarian, I guess I should try this. I hear it's quite tasty.

Today Is:
Blood Pressure Day Mine's good.
Clean Up Your Room Day Last time I did that I found Jimmy Hoffa!
Make-A-Book Day
Mother's Day (Mexico)
Receptionist Day
Shrimp Day
Small Business Day
Trust Your Intuition Day
Windmill Day

Thanx for the Qs and the photo bjh!
Have a good day everyone!

Old 05-10-2012, 06:33 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,531,783 times
Good morning!!!

My mother was a nut.....she was always fun to be around even though it was sometimes embarrassing. She was also a really good cook

Foodie Question: Yay I love food

Today is Shrimp day. Oh goodie

Do you like eating shrimp? I do

If so, how so - how do you like shrimp cooked and what do you like to have with it? Ooh lots of ways. I love shrimp scampi with rice, fried shrimp, stuffed shrimp, shrimp cocktail, BBQ grilled shrimp....Yeah it's all good

When was the last time you visited a library? Last friday.

I volunteered for the book sale and I got sick

What do you like or dislike about libraries? I love my local library. I can order books and the people are really friendly. The big libraries are too quiet and strict for me, lol.

Today Is:
Blood Pressure Day
Clean Up Your Room Day
Make-A-Book Day
Mother's Day (Mexico)
Receptionist Day
Shrimp Day
Small Business Day
Trust Your Intuition Day
Windmill Day

Have a wonderful day!!!

Old 05-10-2012, 06:36 AM
Status: "Civility needs to make a return." (set 6 days ago)

4,733 posts, read 3,303,581 times
Today's Question:
Tell us one of your fondest memories of dear old mom, grandma, an aunt, or anyone who has been like a mom to you? My Mom was a very wonderful person so every memory of her is special. But the memories of the homemade Barbie clothing with the time, detail and love that she put into each outfit will always be extra special to me.

Bonus Question:
Then or now what's something you didn't want to share? I never wanted to share my Mom. I was the last born so she and I spent a lot of quality time together.

Did you have to anyway? Of course.

Foodie Question:
Today is Shrimp day.
Do you like eating shrimp? Love it!!!!
If so, how so - how do you like shrimp cooked and what do you like to have with it? Any way is great.......cocktail sauce most of the time.

Just for fun:
When was the last time you visited a library? Years ago.

Any particular reason or just browsing? With someone.

What do you like or dislike about libraries? Love all those wonderful books.

Today in History:
1534 French navigator Jacques Cartier reached what is now called Newfoundland, Canada

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Blood Pressure Day Just checked mine after I finished my 3 miles on the treadmill 126/71. It's usually lower than that.
Clean Up Your Room Day
Make-A-Book Day
Mother's Day (Mexico)
Receptionist Day
Shrimp Day
Small Business Day
Trust Your Intuition Day I do.......I'm usually right on the money with my intuition.
Windmill Day

Have a fantastic day everyone!!!!

Old 05-10-2012, 06:46 AM

43,851 posts, read 51,512,461 times
Make-A-Book Day
...perhaps a memory book for Mom for Mother's Day....

Old 05-10-2012, 06:47 AM

11,446 posts, read 9,393,489 times
Good morning everyone!

Quote:
Sunday is Mother's Day here in the USA and Thursday the 10th of May is Mother's Day in Mexico so for our first question . . .

Today's Question:
As a child - She taught me how to ride a bike.

Adult - Tie: Me cooking for her and listening to my CD's which she liked.

Bonus Question:
Quote:

Did you have to anyway?

Foodie Question:
Quote:
Today is Shrimp day.
I can't eat it due to a very bad allergic reaction that I had several years ago.

Just for fun:
Quote:
When was the last time you visited a library? ?
Yesterday.

Quote:
Any particular reason or just browsing? ?
I printed my ticket for last nights Washington Capitals vs. NY Rangers hockey game.

Quote:
I like the fact that they are still there and it was kind of busy.

I dislike the hours. Some days they don't open until 1 PM. They could use longer hours on the weekends, especially on Sunday when most are closed.

Happy Thursday!

Old 05-10-2012, 06:58 AM

94 posts, read 132,372 times
[quote=bjh;24237240]Sunday is Mother's Day here in the USA and Thursday the 10th of May is Mother's Day in Mexico so for our first question . . .

Today's Question:
My mom, grandmother, my best friend, Amy Mass and Lisa, sort of relative, not relative.
I was born in Kyoto, Japan and I was raise in Osaka and Miyazaki.
My grandmother spoiled me lot in Umekita City under alias last name Nagayama.
Amy Mass is very nice friend since I met her when she was working at Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Lisa is my American roommate's mother, and she's in army nurse.
They all treat me like if their mother to me.

Bonus Question:
Don't remember.
Did you have to anyway?
Don't remember.

Foodie Question:
Today is Shrimp day.
I used to eat seafood, but now after 3.11 Fukushima incident, with radiation spreading, I cannot eat seafood anymore, but I eat Trader Joe's Shrimp dumpling from Thailand.

Just for fun:
Yesterday, Nassau County's Hewlett-Woodmere Library.

I have librarian friend who depends on NICE Bus, and inform her of bus union meeting.

All these librarians are my friends.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Blood Pressure Day
Clean Up Your Room Day
Make-A-Book Day
Mother's Day (Mexico)
Receptionist Day
Shrimp Day
Small Business Day
Trust Your Intuition Day
Windmill Day

A Picture for Today:
I post pic later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics