Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 10:20 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times

Advertisements

We saw an awesome fireworks display on the 4th. I hope everyone else had a fun day wherever you were.

Today's Question:
What's the highest mountain or hill you've ever been to?

How did you get to the top?

Bonus Question:
What did you like or dislike about studying math in school?

Foodie Question:
When you were a kid and your mom took you shopping and out to lunch what type of places did you eat at:
Department store restaurant?
Dime store lunch counter?
Mall restaurant?
Food court?
Fast food place?
Other?

What was most memorable about the experience?

Just for fun:
Years ago I had a shower curtain with pictures of goldfish on it.
What pictures or patterns have been on your shower curtains?

If just plain, what colors?

Today in History:
1295 Scotland and France formed an alliance against England
1687 Debut of Isaac Newton's "Principia Mathematica," Often called "the most influential scientific book ever published"
1811 Venezuela, 1st South American country to gain independence from Spain
1841 Thomas Cook hired a special train between Leicester and Loughborough in England for a temperance meeting. The beginning of Thomas Cook & Son, the worldwide travel agency.
1951 Dr. William Shockley announced the invention of the junction transistor at Murray Hill, New Jersey
1966 Large hailstones fell on Detroit Lakes, Minnesota. One hailstone measured 1 foot in diameter.
1996 A sheep called Dolly, the first cloned animal, born at the Roslin Institute in Edinburgh, Scotland
2011 Large dust storm strikes Phoenix, Arizona, cancelling flights and leaving thousands without power

Today’s Word:
bi·ki·ni [bih-kee-nee] - noun
a very brief, close fitting two-piece women's bathing suit," from French coinage for Bikini atoll among the Marshall Islands of the Pacific Ocean. Natives called the island Pikinni, said to derive from pik "surface" and ni "coconut," but this is uncertain.

Today Is:
Apple Turnover Day
Bikini Day
Caribbean Day
Graham Cracker Day - inventor Sylvester Graham born 5th JUly 1794
Workaholics Day

A Picture for Today:
Today's picture is contributed by Magnum Mike from a 2010 trip to Hawaii. This is taken on Waikiki Beach. Mike says the only thing missing was a girl in a grass skirt dancing the hula.

Thanks, Mike!

Have a wonderful day, everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 10:23 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Today's Question, Thursday 05 July 2012
We saw an awesome fireworks display on the 4th. I hope everyone else had a fun day wherever you were.

So did we!
Today's Question:

Bonus Question:
Having to pay attention.

Foodie Question:
When you were a kid and your mom took you shopping and out to lunch what type of places did you eat at:
Mall restaurant?
Food court?
Fast food place?
Other?

Just eating different things...

Just for fun:
Swans...?

Today in History:
1295 Scotland and France formed an alliance against England
1687 Debut of Isaac Newton's "Principia Mathematica," Often called "the most influential scientific book ever published"
1811 Venezuela, 1st South American country to gain independence from Spain
1841 Thomas Cook hired a special train between Leicester and Loughborough in England for a temperance meeting. The beginning of Thomas Cook & Son, the worldwide travel agency.
1951 Dr. William Shockley announced the invention of the junction transistor at Murray Hill, New Jersey PNP or NPN?
1966 Large hailstones fell on Detroit Lakes, Minnesota. One hailstone measured 1 foot in diameter.
1996 A sheep called Dolly, the first cloned animal, born at the Roslin Institute in Edinburgh, Scotland
2011 Large dust storm strikes Phoenix, Arizona, cancelling flights and leaving thousands without power

Today’s Word:
a very brief, close fitting two-piece women's bathing suit," from French coinage for Bikini atoll among the Marshall Islands of the Pacific Ocean. Natives called the island Pikinni, said to derive from pik "surface" and ni "coconut," but this is uncertain.
You put the lime in the coconut ...use them on the half shell for bikini tops!

Today Is:
Apple Turnover Day
Bikini Day
Caribbean Day
Graham Cracker Day - inventor Sylvester Graham born 5th JUly 1794
Workaholics Day

A Picture for Today:
Today's picture is contributed by Magnum Mike from a 2010 trip to Hawaii. This is taken on Waikiki Beach. Mike says the only thing missing was a girl in a grass skirt dancing the hula.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1600$sx1200$s.
Thanks, Mike!
Looks like her skirt lying on the beach.... LOL!
Thanks BJH!! Thanks Mike Too!!

Old 07-04-2012, 10:37 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Today's Question:

What's the highest mountain or hill you've ever been to? Pikes Peak in Colorado, about 14,000 ft. And it was very hard to breathe in that thin air up there.

How did you get to the top? Drove up.

Bonus Question:
What did you like or dislike about studying math in school? Liked when class was over, disliked the headache it gave me.

Foodie Question:
Dime store lunch counter? Woolworth's.
Mall restaurant?
Food court?
Fast food place?
Other?

What was most memorable about the experience? The cherry coke phosphates, fresh hamburgers. Also the padded round stools that you could spin around on.

Just for fun:
What pictures or patterns have been on your shower curtains? Flower designs.

Happy Thursday, enjoy...

Old 07-04-2012, 10:39 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Hey, BJH - that's nicely timed! I just popped in a moment before heading to shower and bed, and you've got Thursday's questions up. Thanks!

Today's Question:

I'm sure it would have been in the Austrian Alps, when I visited there with my parents nearly five decades ago. I have no idea what the specific mountains were named, though.

Riding in the back seat of the car that my parents rented to tour through Europe. Those hairpin turns like to scared the living bejabers out of me!

Bonus Question:

I enjoyed the things I could visualize, like geometry. I cordially despised algebra and all its ilk.

Foodie Question:
Mall restaurant?
Food court?
Fast food place?
Other?

You know, I don't ever remember my mother taking me to lunch on a shopping trip. She was a frugal woman who grew up on a farm during the Great Depression, and she didn't believe in wasting good money on restaurant meals when there was perfectly good food that cost far less at home.

Just for fun:

I'm pretty boring. I've never bought a shower curtain with pictures on it. The fancier they look, the more they cost, and why would I pay for for fancy when all I want it to do is keep the water in the tub?

Usually just white; it's the cheapest.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:14 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Today's Question:
Just the mountains around here, and I don't know what the highest one is

drove

Bonus Question:
everything? I hated math

Foodie Question:
Mall restaurant?
Food court?
Fast food place?
Other?
Didn't do this much when I was a kid, but when we did we usually ate at a cafeteria

eating at the cafeteria? Not much, just slop really

Just for fun:
The only one I really remember was the one that had lighthouses. The ones I have now are pretty plain.

green and gold

Today Is:
Apple Turnover Day..........yum
Bikini Day.........................those days have long past
Caribbean Day.................wish I was there
Graham Cracker Day - inventor Sylvester Graham born 5th JUly 1794......great with peanut butter
Workaholics Day..............

A Picture for Today:

Thanks, Mike!

Old 07-04-2012, 11:16 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Today's Question:
What's the highest mountain or hill you've ever been to? Mt. Rainier in WA.
How did you get to the top? I wasn't at the summit, but I hiked from about 5,000 feet to 8,000 feet. It was the biggest thrill of my life.
Bonus Question:
What did you like or dislike about studying math in school? I hated all math, except geometry.

Foodie Question:
Dime store lunch counter? This one, at S.S. Kresge in a strip mall in Gary, Indiana.
Mall restaurant?
Food court?
Fast food place?
Other?
What was most memorable about the experience? It was memorable because it was quality time with my mom and because it was a treat to eat someplace away from home. We rarely dined out.

Just for fun:
What pictures or patterns have been on your shower curtains? The one I have now is the first I've had with a pattern on it. It has little seashells on it.

Today’s Word:
a very brief, close fitting two-piece women's bathing suit," from French coinage for Bikini atoll among the Marshall Islands of the Pacific Ocean. Natives called the island Pikinni, said to derive from pik "surface" and ni "coconut," but this is uncertain. *tee hee*

Today Is:
Apple Turnover Day Sounds good. Who's buying?
Bikini Day Not here.
Caribbean Day Now we're talkin'. I'm anxiously awaiting the start of my cruise there on March 16, 2013.
Graham Cracker Day - inventor Sylvester Graham born 5th JUly 1794 These are good. I haven't had one in a long time.
Workaholics Day I used to be one of these; not so much now.

A Picture for Today:
Today's picture is contributed by Magnum Mike from a 2010 trip to Hawaii. This is taken on Waikiki Beach. Mike says the only thing missing was a girl in a grass skirt dancing the hula. Beautiful photo, Mike!

Great job on the QOTD, bjh.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-04-2012 at 11:27 PM..

Old 07-04-2012, 11:32 PM

38,895 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Today's Question:

San Bernardino mountains where Big Bear Lake and Lake Arrowhead are located. Not sure of the names of specific peaks over there.

Rode up in someone else's car.

Bonus Question:

I'm not mathematically inclined--then or now, so it's always been my most challenging subject in school.

Foodie Question:

Department store restaurant? <--This

Mall restaurant?
<--This
Food court?
Fast food place?
<--This
Other?

It was a chance to eat different kinds of food not served at home.

Just for fun:

The last shower curtain with a pattern was one with drawings of globes and maps.

When I first moved into my current home, the previous owners had a fuchsia-colored shower curtain with a plain white liner.

Have a great Thursday!

Old 07-04-2012, 11:36 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
Today's Question:

I have been to Mt McKinley (20320 ft)

Who said anything about climbing the mountain?

Probably the highest mountain I have actually been on top of would be Mt Mazama (about 8000 ft). I got to the top by driving. I have been thru tunnels that were much higher. Eisenhower Tunnel ( 11158 ft )

Bonus Question:

Math was my favorite subject in high school. I took 4 years of it. One of the things I liked most about it was except for 9th grade math which all students were required to take, everyone in the class was there because they wanted to be there. Thus, the teachers did not have to waste most of the hour trying to teach a bunch of students that did not want to be taught.

Foodie Question:

I remember eating here a time or two.

These were awsome. You would get a huge freshly cooked hamburger with a heaping side of really good fries served on a real plate. The soda or milk shake came in a real glass. If you wanted some pie they would cut you a slice from a freshly baked pie.

Mall restaurant?
I hated going to these. Took forever to cook the food and serve it. Prices were always high. I always wondered why they kept it so dark inside.

Food court?
Never went to one while growing up.

Fast food place?
I did not grow up around fast food places.

Other?
We often ate at places like Denny's.

The dime store lunch counter was my favorite. If there was more than one kid in the group, it was a given we would tear off the end of the paper wrapper on the straw and then blow into the straw which would send the paper wrapper flying across the room.

Just for fun:

I have very plain sliding glass doors.

Most of the time they are sorta kinda almost clear.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:52 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,144 times
Today's Question:
What's the highest mountain or hill you've ever been to? How did you get to the top? I have no idea which would be the highest - I've driven in the Rockies, Appalachians, Adirondacks, Black Hills, Ouachita Mts, Ozarks, Sierra Nevada - and several others that I can't recall the names of. Also driven or been on cable cars in the French, Swiss and Austrian Alps, and to Mt. Fuji (though I didn't get very far up that one)!

Bonus Question:
I hated that I rarely arrived at the correct answer and if I did, it was pure luck! There was nothing I liked about it, though when I switched to arithmetic/book-keeping/commerce I fared much better.

Foodie Question:
Department store restaurant? Occasionally
Dime store lunch counter? We didn't have these in England
Mall restaurant? No malls when I was growing up!
Food court? None of these either!
Fast food place? Not many of these in England at the time, and my mother wouldn't have been seen dead inside one!
Other? The local Chinese restaurant. Chinese and Indian restaurants were (and still are) everywhere in England. My mother used to put aside the money she saved from using coupons and discounts when grocery shopping and when she had enough she would take my brother and I out for dinner on a night when Dad would be late home from work. In those days the three of us could have quite a feast for the equivalent of about $4.

What was most memorable about the experience? We loved the food because it was so different to what we ate at home - plus my brother and I didn't have to do the washing up!

Just for fun:
What pictures or patterns have been on your shower curtains? I haven't had shower curtains in years (and I certainly can't remember the patterns). For the last 20 or so years, all the bathrooms in the houses I lived in had shower screens.

Thanks bjh.

Hope everyone had an enjoyable July 4.

Last edited by Kobber; 07-05-2012 at 12:14 AM..

Old 07-05-2012, 12:42 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times
Happy Thursday

I have climbed a many mountains and I am yet climbing the highest and it has taking all of my life, a day at a time only by grace, a heart full of hope and a mind filled with iron clad fortitude- metaphorically speaking of course

When I was a kid dining away from home was something you only did if you could find something better and that was impossible we had the best cooks in my home, but sometimes we did get the Wednesday special at the local dairy queen

Love and Peace

Last edited by sun queen; 07-05-2012 at 01:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics